Timberwolf's UK.... trains?

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Timberwolf's UK.... trains?

Post by Timberwolf »

After an evening's work, fences now have a lot more intelligence about where they get placed:

Rail and platform fences are placed appropriately across a variety of situations including presence of rail, adjoining/non-adjoining platforms and non-track station tiles. There are some corner cases where things get a little weird if you join inner/outer platforms in a T-shape (sometimes you get a fence and sometimes you don't) but this was always an odd-looking configuration anyway, so I'm not worried about it doing one more slightly odd thing.
agnott
Engineer
Engineer

Post by agnott »

Great work, thanks! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

I assume you're already aware and it's a clash between different GRFs rather than an error, but there's a noticeable height difference in the fence sections along some tile borders, e. g. at the right end of the bottom platform.
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

This is one of those things that will be inevitable, Timberwolf's Tracks has year-dependent fence sprites of varying heights whereas Stations has a single fence per platform type, and that's before considering other track sets which will do their own thing. The "nice" way would be flags to toggle displaying fences from the track set similar to the fence and pylon flags, but I don't think that's in the NewGRF spec so it ends up a compromise between "lock it to exactly one track set by using identical fence styles" and "have the station fences visually distinct, so the player can use different track sets".

I wonder how the other sets with single-sided platforms handle it?
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

I noticed another weird thing when trying to build a 3-by-5 tile station hall, which somehow resulted in, uh, this. Is that something you have influence over or a problem with the base game?

(Nevermind the 25kV catenary just ending in thin air, that was my mistake.)

Oh, and another thing I just noticed: the Class 165 is listed as "Network Turbo" but should be "Networker Turbo".
Attachments
tt-roof-glitch.png
tt-roof-glitch.png (231.5 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

It's deliberate, so you get both the single track and double track station halls on the same station ID (and don't have to swap between them). In theory I could add a callback for custom layouts that overrides it, but the simple solution with the existing set is to drag the double-track hall in shorter lengths (up to about 3 tiles, I think) which means you don't get the smaller arches at the start and end.

Re Class 165, "Network Turbo" is the one I've always known, is fairly common in foamer groups and used to be the name used on the Wikipedia page - since all are varying degrees of unofficial and "Networker Turbo" was only used 3 years after the units entered operation I've gone with the shorter name and the one I use. (My desire to change it is significantly lessened by the person who removed it from the Class 165 Wikipedia article giving no justification, and having several strikes already for editing personal opinions into pages about British rolling stock.)
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Honestly I've never heard the "Network Turbo" name before so I assumed it was a typo. I never should have doubted you :bow:
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

I think Stations is now at the point there's a worthwhile enough upgrade to justify the inevitable savegame incompatibility of a new version, so 1.2.0 is available on BaNaNaS. There are many new buildings, car park and amenity tiles for extending stations, single sided buffers and more fences. How many new things can you spot?

Fences are sometimes a little wilful about where they want to turn up, I've squashed the majority of awkward cases and the few that are left require a nightmarish chain of multiple callbacks and would only upset the most persnickety of players, so I've chosen the path of living with it.

No doubt there will be the odd buglet I've left behind in my testing, but other than fixes my intention is for this to be the stable version of Stations for a decent while, at least until I feel like another few weeks of slowly putting together voxel buildings.
Limyx826
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Limyx826 »

May I ask about when is the tracks introduction dates?
I am Limyx826.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Are the buffer stops new?

I like the stairs leading to the higher platforms.
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Limyx826 wrote: 25 Apr 2021 14:09 May I ask about when is the tracks introduction dates?
It's mostly down to the train set, so you'll usually get the first third rail track along with the first third rail train, etc.

Exceptions are the two dual power tracks (3rd rail + catenary, 4th rail + catenary) which are introduced in 1965.

If you're playing with Timberwolf's Trains and Community Addon, you'll get rail at approximately the following dates:
  • Plateway - 1700
  • Narrow gauge rail - 1800
  • Rail - 1833
  • 4th Rail - 1889
  • Catenary - 1903
  • 3rd Rail - 1941
  • Dual power - 1965
But it will be different if you use another trainset, with some types possibly not appearing at all.
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Taschi wrote: 25 Apr 2021 16:29 Are the buffer stops new?

I like the stairs leading to the higher platforms.
The regular buffer stops have been in since the start, but single-sided buffer stops are new for the 1.2.x series.

I was in two minds about the stairs - in one sense they're a tremendous waste of object IDs for a niche situation but after building a few terraced stations in Blue & Co I was missing a nice way to link the different heights of platforms, as the only plausible tile for allowing access across the whole station was the underpass. (You can also mash the covered footbridges together and they look vaguely linked, but I still preferred the idea of a dedicated tile)
Limyx826
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Limyx826 »

Timberwolf wrote: 26 Apr 2021 09:38 If you're playing with Timberwolf's Trains and Community Addon, you'll get rail at approximately the following dates:
  • Plateway - 1700
  • Narrow gauge rail - 1800
  • Rail - 1833
  • 4th Rail - 1889
  • Catenary - 1903
  • 3rd Rail - 1941
  • Dual power - 1965
Ya, I'm using your sets so thank you sir.
I am Limyx826.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

I quite like the stairs to the upper level platform. No more hacking together footbridges and structures which could conceivably have a hole for a walkway connecting the two.

Any thoughts on replacing the default foundation sprites (perhaps as part of Tracks) to look a bit less like jagged rocks? They might look better with your high-def tracks, and particularly when used with stations like here.
Rezot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rezot »

Looking really nice, I'm having fun with these already!

Just a stray thought.. any chance of getting the platform-side doors to line up with the footbridges/steps? Then you can have the station building at the top of the cutting leading to a footbridge down to platform height :)
"Their is much pleasure to be gained from useless infomation"
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

I think these waypoints are also from one of your addons?

If I could offer a suggestion, it would be nice to have one "waypoint" sprite that is just the footpath, without the building, because having multiple signal boxes right next to one another just seems a bit off.
Attachments
waypoint.png
waypoint.png (65.58 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Taschi wrote: 27 Apr 2021 16:35 I think these waypoints are also from one of your addons?

If I could offer a suggestion, it would be nice to have one "waypoint" sprite that is just the footpath, without the building, because having multiple signal boxes right next to one another just seems a bit off.
That's interesting, it's a regression from previous versions which used to work correctly. Let me take a look at it.

Click and drag the waypoints across the tracks, rather than building each track individually:

I used the build-time configuration, so if someone really wanted to have signal boxes side by side they could construct them. Dragging them will give you pathways instead.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

I never knew about that feature! I'll give it a shot.

A manual pathway sprite might still be useful when setting up two separate waypoints directly adjacent, e. g. when setting up a four-track route with a slow and fast pair of tracks
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Rezot wrote: 27 Apr 2021 11:46 Looking really nice, I'm having fun with these already!

Just a stray thought.. any chance of getting the platform-side doors to line up with the footbridges/steps? Then you can have the station building at the top of the cutting leading to a footbridge down to platform height :)
Would be a thought for station buildings in the future - the current ones all have the platform-side opening at different points so there's no one single location to line up with. Maybe when I'm back here after Boats a few buildings which line up nicely with the various staircase options when at different heights - it'd be nice to work with the covered footbridges too so you can have Weybridge or Clapham Junction style stations (the new suburban station building almost works!):

Rezot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rezot »

Timberwolf wrote: 27 Apr 2021 17:24
Rezot wrote: 27 Apr 2021 11:46 Looking really nice, I'm having fun with these already!

Would be a thought for station buildings in the future - the current ones all have the platform-side opening at different points so there's no one single location to line up with. Maybe when I'm back here after Boats a few buildings which line up nicely with the various staircase options when at different heights - it'd be nice to work with the covered footbridges too so you can have Weybridge or Clapham Junction style stations (the new suburban station building almost works!):

Thanks for replying, much appreciated :-)
Glad you liked the idea :-) The screenshot you shared's a good idea in the meantime!

Good luck with Boats, always a fan of maritime history so I'm looking forward to see how it unfolds :D
"Their is much pleasure to be gained from useless infomation"

Return to “Graphics Development”