Timberwolf's UK.... trains?

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Timberwolf's UK.... trains?

Post by Timberwolf »

I think they have the same introduction date, but the synchronisation of wagon to engine doesn't seem to happen when you obtain the latter as a prototype. Is there anything in NML (or the newgrf spec) to link them more explicitly than just setting the same date?
Fredinho
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fredinho »

I really think you've created a beautiful set with this, Timberwolf, and one that I really like to use. I have a question though: in lots of the images you post, the trains and cars seem to have their original colors. Would it be an idea to add realistic liveries as a parameter?
mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mak »

Fredinho wrote: 07 Apr 2021 13:18 I really think you've created a beautiful set with this, Timberwolf, and one that I really like to use. I have a question though: in lots of the images you post, the trains and cars seem to have their original colors. Would it be an idea to add realistic liveries as a parameter?
Originals would be nice but so many different ones for so many different companies, personally I pic diferent colours per type Steam, Diesel, Electric etc
Attachments
Unnamed, 1951-01-01.png
(1.57 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Fredinho
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fredinho »

I completely forgot about this feature. That'll do the trick :)
PEPSprinterPacer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PEPSprinterPacer »

mak wrote: 07 Apr 2021 16:34
Fredinho wrote: 07 Apr 2021 13:18 I really think you've created a beautiful set with this, Timberwolf, and one that I really like to use. I have a question though: in lots of the images you post, the trains and cars seem to have their original colors. Would it be an idea to add realistic liveries as a parameter?
Originals would be nice but so many different ones for so many different companies, personally I pic diferent colours per type Steam, Diesel, Electric etc
If you group them you can choose them there as well!
Only ever been on 2 185's and 144 023!
viewtopic.php?t=87546 a screenshot thread of mobile pictures!
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

All of the images are clever manipulation of 2cc, using either group colour settings or the engine/carriage settings in the company colour dialogue.

In theory it's possible to have those applied automatically, although I've got stuff I'd like to do with Stations first as I never filled out the full set of buildings and decorations there.
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Livestream viewers will know I now have a not-so-secret secret project planned, but before I start on that I really need to get Stations up to the standard I want, with a better range of buildings and decorations.

Some work in progress - how many new options and changes can you spot?

Fredinho
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fredinho »

Timberwolf wrote: 07 Apr 2021 20:06
All of the images are clever manipulation of 2cc, using either group colour settings or the engine/carriage settings in the company colour dialogue.

In theory it's possible to have those applied automatically, although I've got stuff I'd like to do with Stations first as I never filled out the full set of buildings and decorations there.
I'd say you should prioritize your stations, because this looks wonderful :)
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

Timberwolf wrote: 09 Apr 2021 23:32 Livestream viewers will know I now have a not-so-secret secret project planned, but before I start on that I really need to get Stations up to the standard I want, with a better range of buildings and decorations.

Some work in progress - how many new options and changes can you spot?
Dangit, now I wish I could've stuck around to hear about that not-so-secret project because I'm now incredibly curious about what it is.

Single-side overpasses and such are a great addition, though. I've been missing stuff like that from the station set for a while. Will we also be getting single-side buffers and such?
PEPSprinterPacer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PEPSprinterPacer »

When was the last time it got updated? answer: Ages ago

Finally single sided bridges :arrow: 8)
Only ever been on 2 185's and 144 023!
viewtopic.php?t=87546 a screenshot thread of mobile pictures!
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

I need to work out a way to densely pack object IDs in my automated tooling, because I'm starting to run out... currently at ID 231, although I've only used 170 unique IDs. (As far as I'm aware, the limit in a single station GRF is 255, due to at least one bit-packed callback relying on the ID being a single byte. At least, when I tried to use an ID > 255 I got an invalid sprite error)

It could also be argued that the ability to create freeform station car park configurations is not an essential feature of a station set. But I've never had a good track record with the prioritisation of "important" over "pointless" :)

XD._.
Engineer
Engineer

Post by XD._. »

Last edited by XD._. on 15 Apr 2021 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
My server of Discord :D :D https://discord.gg/2MAYUK8e7P
Rezot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rezot »

Just to say, I am loving those stations, they look amazing! Nice to see the non-platform centres for the footbridges; I'm guessing you're doing the same for the overall canopies? Also... is that a new bus stop?

In fairness, all of it's fun :-)

Though, the one or two rolling stock ideas I can think of-
* Metropolitan Electric Locomotives (Sarah Siddons and/or Centrecab) - for early electric freights on the 3rd rail.
* Early Overhead Electric EMU to complement the Early Overhead Locos - for early 'local' passengers on the overhead.
"Their is much pleasure to be gained from useless infomation"
agnott
Engineer
Engineer

Post by agnott »

Is it possible to make fences continue around the 'open' edge of single sided platforms?
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

agnott wrote: 12 Apr 2021 08:42 Is it possible to make fences continue around the 'open' edge of single sided platforms?
In theory it should be, the logic would be similar to the existing switch chain for deciding if a station should have a fence or not and then I just need a ground-level fence sprite, but with the additional check that if there is rail of any type then don't put a fence.
agnott
Engineer
Engineer

Post by agnott »

Timberwolf wrote: 12 Apr 2021 09:12 In theory it should be, the logic would be similar to the existing switch chain for deciding if a station should have a fence or not and then I just need a ground-level fence sprite, but with the additional check that if there is rail of any type then don't put a fence.
Nice! Ta very much! :bow:
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

A quick fix would be to add a non-track tile with a fence on the edge.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Can I just say, I'm really impressed by how quickly you're developing new sprites and how well they all look together. I'm playing with your Roads, Road Vehicles, Tracks, Trains and Stations right now and they kind of overcome my biggest problem with OpenTTD which has always been that playing with a bunch of NewGRFs for Country X always ends up with the game looking and feeling kind of hodge-podge and your NewGRFs really feel cohesive (and are also very good on their own).
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Thanks - I feel quite slow at the moment, though! These big, detailed station buildings take time. Still needs a little more detail and the reverse side filling out, but I think there's enough that someone could possibly guess the inspiration...

The other wonderful thing I've discovered while trying to integrate buildings with platforms is that the original TTD station's platform is overscale compared to the buildings (almost an entire story high), I've reduced mine to be some sort of vaguely acceptable compromise between tiling nicely with the original stations, while not requiring buildings that dwarf the original town buildings. Suburban Flat Roof station and Rural station need downscaling to fit this new scheme, but I think it makes stations in towns look a lot better.

Oh, and speaking of the original stations, if anyone was pining for that platform building, I had a sudden "well, why not?"

perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by perverted monkey »

Much better!

Return to “Graphics Development”