House and shops proportions

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

andres1555
Engineer
Engineer

House and shops proportions

Post by andres1555 »

HI!

When you see an Openttd town theres a matter of proportions that fails. If we try to make a realistic town, a block have to have not less than 4x6 sprites (or 5x5, etc). But If you have this blocks the center of them would be pure grass.
The problem is that most houses and shops mesures 1x1 sprites.

This is a big development but, I think that there must be lots of houses and shops measuring 1x2 and 1x3. Just open "Google Maps" on your towns.

Bye!
Attachments
block sizes.jpg
(668.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
andres1555
Engineer
Engineer

Re: House and shops proportions

Post by andres1555 »

One more thing...The actual houses and shops can be modified. Houses can be the same but with backyards. Taller buildings can have exactly the same front but with the double of deepness.
perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by perverted monkey »

I agree. Do you plan to create a new town set?
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

I see where you're coming from, but there's two problems with this:

1. Houses can only be a maximum of two tiles in any direction, so no 3 tile+ lots

2. There's no coherent scale to anything in this game. "Fixing" it in one area will just make it more obvious that everything else is out-of-scale. Ever see a house-sized bus before, or a several thousand ton cargo ship the size of an innercity tram? :lol:

You could theoretically try to "re-scale" the game by e.g., making all houses 2x2 to make them bigger (with maybe some small buildings as 1x1?) and make road vehicles a little smaller, ships a lot bigger, etc. Basically redo all the artwork in the game with heavily tweaked scales to try bringing things closer to "realistic". But in practice I think it would just look weird due to the fixed tile sizes, and it would be a massive amount of work for little, if any, improvement.

That being said, I don't want to discourage you from making some new houses, that's always a good thing :) Just want to point out some potential drawbacks in your proposal.
andres1555
Engineer
Engineer

Post by andres1555 »

Andrew350 wrote:I see where you're coming from, but there's two problems with this:

1. Houses can only be a maximum of two tiles in any direction, so no 3 tile+ lots

2. There's no coherent scale to anything in this game. "Fixing" it in one area will just make it more obvious that everything else is out-of-scale. Ever see a house-sized bus before, or a several thousand ton cargo ship the size of an innercity tram? :lol:

You could theoretically try to "re-scale" the game by e.g., making all houses 2x2 to make them bigger (with maybe some small buildings as 1x1?) and make road vehicles a little smaller, ships a lot bigger, etc. Basically redo all the artwork in the game with heavily tweaked scales to try bringing things closer to "realistic". But in practice I think it would just look weird due to the fixed tile sizes, and it would be a massive amount of work for little, if any, improvement.

That being said, I don't want to discourage you from making some new houses, that's always a good thing :) Just want to point out some potential drawbacks in your proposal.

Its true. Impossible to scale everything, but at least 1x2 houses and shops recycling the same sprites will help a lot.

Return to “Graphics Development”