"Volos" Tri-Gauge Railtype discussion

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

"Volos" Tri-Gauge Railtype discussion

Post by SimYouLater »

andythenorth wrote:...
Would you be able to do me a favor?

Please add VOLO to all the unelectrified narrow gauge locos in Iron Horse 2, and add VOLE to all the electric locos in IH2. If I'm correct, this would make Iron Horse compatible with the tri-guage railtypes in the Recycled Infrastructure Set.

I'm asking you because your set is the only train set with narrow gauge trains still being developed. Even JapanSet hasn't seen any activity since last year. Thanks in advance!

Found the issue. Run pybuild.bat before running make.bat, otherwise you're not compiling the new code.
Last edited by SimYouLater on 29 Mar 2019 17:17, edited 2 times in total.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: "Iron Horse" - A modular train set based slightly in reality

Post by peter1138 »

SimYouLater wrote:Would you be able to do me a favor?

Please add VOLO to all the unelectrified narrow gauge locos in Iron Horse 2, and add VOLE to all the electric locos in IH2. If I'm correct, this would make Iron Horse compatible with the tri-guage railtypes in the Recycled Infrastructure Set.

I'm asking you because your set is the only train set with narrow gauge trains still being developed. Even JapanSet hasn't seen any activity since last year. Thanks in advance!
I think you can use property 1D ("alternative_railtype_list" in NML-speak) in your railtype set to specify alternative labels for your VOLO/VOLE types, without trainset authors needing to change anything.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

peter1138 wrote:

I think you can use property 1D ("alternative_railtype_list" in NML-speak) in your railtype set to specify alternative labels for your VOLO/VOLE types, without trainset authors needing to change anything.
Nope. Just tried it, the Boar Cat (and presumably all NG locos) still won't move onto tri-guage track.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

SimYouLater wrote:
peter1138 wrote:

Nope. Just tried it, the Boar Cat (and presumably all NG locos) still won't move onto tri-guage track.
I also tried it and I confirm what SimYouLater is saying. I tested with NG railcars too, and it didn't work. I think there's a problem with the rail labels here - IH locomotives are supposed to use Termite IDs, not 600mm IDs (IIRC "VOLO" railtype is from 600mm).
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

acs121 wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:
peter1138 wrote: I think you can use property 1D ("alternative_railtype_list" in NML-speak) in your railtype set to specify alternative labels for your VOLO/VOLE types, without trainset authors needing to change anything.
I also tried it and I confirm what SimYouLater is saying. I tested with NG railcars too, and it didn't work. I think there's a problem with the rail labels here - IH locomotives are supposed to use Termite IDs, not 600mm IDs (IIRC "VOLO" railtype is from 600mm).
VOLO is specific to RIS, but is based off NG6R dual guage from 600mm.
Licenses for my work...
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

SimYouLater wrote:Nope. Just tried it, the Boar Cat (and presumably all NG locos) still won't move onto tri-guage track.
"It doesn't work" isn't a bug report. I've split these posts off from the main topic since it's not strictly relevant to IH.

Apart from anything else, you can't "add a railtype" to a train vehicle. Trains have exactly one native railtype that they know anything about, and further compatibility is down to railtypes themselves to decide.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: "Volos" Tri-Gauge Railtype discussion

Post by Snail »

SimYouLater wrote:

* ahem* viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84269 ... :P
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Snail wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:

* ahem* viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84269 ... :P
I thought you were gone! Don't worry, I would have asked if I thought you were active. Thanks for letting me know you're still around!
Licenses for my work...
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

I can confirm, it's possible to make narrow and standard compatible using only the railtypes feature.

Here's IH running on my experimental Japanese track dual gauge addon, PM me if you want the code.

I think the main difference is that I used the standardised railtype labels which are already used by most narrow gauge GRFs, ensuring cross compatibility.
Attachments
dualgauge.PNG
dualgauge.PNG (78.55 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Emperor Jake wrote:I can confirm, it's possible to make narrow and standard compatible using only the railtypes feature.

Here's IH running on my experimental Japanese track dual gauge addon, PM me if you want the code.

I think the main difference is that I used the standardised railtype labels which are already used by most narrow gauge GRFs, ensuring cross compatibility.
I figured out the issue. I had a Make.bat and a pybuild.bat in the folder for RIS. I apparently need to run pybuild successfully (no NML errors) before trying to run Make.bat, because I was literally compiling the same code and thinking it was different.
Licenses for my work...

Return to “Graphics Development”