Coding station graphics

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Saskia
Director
Director

Post by Saskia »

Arte, this station looks really good :o

@ChrisCF: what about "medium passenger stations"? :wink:
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Arte Pro 34 wrote:And here is simple station .grf file with source code.
Graphic and code are public domain. Feel free for use it.
Bugs I found:
- in Ships list "Build New Ship" button is .... missing completly
- Action 8 is coded wrong:

Code: Select all

Info: Sample station. Public domain.
Description: Çă˙7Qi‘ź©€
- also I don't get all those description in Station building like on your screenshot (I mentioned it few posts before,also patchman said why it happened)
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

I've already fixed that - take it to the new topic please.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

PLEASE, if it's at all possible, can we have ONE big GRF file taht contains all the stations, rather than two dozen little ones?
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

krtaylor wrote:PLEASE, if it's at all possible, can we have ONE big GRF file taht contains all the stations, rather than two dozen little ones?
I'd rather have two dozen little ones than big ones, atleast then i can choose what i want and what not so i don't have unnecessary stuff in the menus.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Where's the harm? I figure it's better to have one file that you can update when there's a new release, rather than having to keep track of the status of all the little ones. That's the same problem with George's Long Vehicles. I believe that almost all ordinary users will just want them all; if you don't like one particular station, don't use it. But if you insist, it would be easy enough to let the GRF file take parameters to disable station entries individually. Almost nobody will use that feature, but there's no harm in adding it, and it answers your objection.

Any other thoughts on the subject from anyone else?
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Well, as long as stations don't use limited IDs so you can have lots of stations, it wouldn't hurt if you got some extra. But the interface of selection stations is not that good. If you've 10 stations is not very quickly to select one. And if you have 50 stations it's even worse (but it'll take some time before we've 50 stations (until the station creator is programmed (which will take a long time)))
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

No, you just have to categorize them better. The first pass had two kinds of stations - the original ones, and the signal towers. Then the file released in this thread added a new kind, "City". (Actually it isn't really, it looks more like "Suburban" to me.) What I mean is, you can make more categories, so you don't ever have to scroll through too many things. Let's say we declared these categories:

Original
Signal-towers
Central (big stone and arches, for city-centers)
Suburban (high-level platforms, maybe small buildings and overpasses)
Rural (low-level platforms, small building if any)
Liquid cargo (pumping hoses and tanks)
Farm cargo (grain silos, cow pens, etc.)
Warehouses (platforms, shipping docks, through-warehouses, etc.)
Intermodal (overhead cranes)

And then, in each of these categories, there might be several different choices, some more than others. Really, how many stations do you build where it matters? If you wanted, you could always just use the Original stations and you'd be no worse off.

I'm going to do a poll on this subject.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

If we want to unify all of this work, there's always "Project New Stations", which (unlike MB's work) is suitably licenced for community development.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yes. I'm not totally sure why you started a new thread for that, I kind of thought this thread was basically the same thing, but I agree, we can use "Project New Stations" to collect all the "free" stations. This would basically include everything that's already posted to Dinges' site, and anything new that's drawn, excluding MB's work and any special stations that are added to the major sets (like, the US set is going to have American-style stations added to it after the first public release).
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

I suppose it would make sense to keep trainset-specific stations out for the time being. I would have thought this thread could be used for the more general topic of "coding station graphics", for people that wanted to experiment, and getting the real project its own development thread, like everything else. Of course, that's my opinion.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

OK then. Let's change the topic title for this thread to "How to code station graphics" and then we'll be able to keep them straight.
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

little bit o.topic..........

is it possible to do the same things to the depots.
Means: is it possible to have different sorts of depots in the game?
Thade
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thade »

Bernhard wrote:is it possible to do the same things to the depots.
Means: is it possible to have different sorts of depots in the game?
That'd be pretty nice, I second the question.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

currently not possible ...
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

We have asked about having the electrified depot look different from the normal one, and supposedly it's being worked on, but I haven't heard anything about it in a while.
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

the depots could change their look during the years. An older one at the begining, modern in the 1980 and futuristically in 2020...

or like this??
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

i have added some People....
Saskia
Director
Director

Post by Saskia »

Cool, can you send me the pcx? I'll try something new* :)

* not even used by MB so far :wink:
Singaporekid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Singaporekid »

Are there any old-style stations?
<+Raichase> ugh, I just ate some of my beard D:

Return to “Graphics Development”