NewGRF graphics file

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Nitrous69
Engineer
Engineer

NewGRF graphics file

Post by Nitrous69 »

Hey!

I am coding my first NewGRF right now and I have a question about graphics files. I am using NML coding language. I read the NML tutorial page at TT Wiki, and there said that the graphics file should be png or pcx. Is this the right graphics file or I have to make another? I got json files also.
Attachments
PassengerCar01.png
PassengerCar01.png (3.38 KiB) Viewed 619 times
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: NewGRF graphics file

Post by PikkaBird »

Looks ok to me!
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Looks like you've used the fire cycle colours for the orange, and the CC blue for the windows. This means the entire wagon will flash/flicker and the windows will be whatever the company colour is. Refer to the palette for which colours are normal and which have special functions: https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/P ... oordinates

The windows are most commonly in the mauve colours (80-87)

Also make sure the file is paletted in your graphics editor, as the GRF compiler won't accept RGB PNGs. I can tell you how to do that in GIMP, not sure about other programs.

Good start btw, we can always use more GRF artists :)
Nitrous69
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nitrous69 »

I used this website to draw the graphics: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/pixeltool/push/LATEST/. I think it is a little easier to make sprites here, but if that is not the best place then I can try something else. I have used GIMP some years ago, but I really don't remember how.

And according to what you said about palette, I should use normal colors for windows and body?

Thank you very much for helping me on such a stupid topic.
Attachments
Dospal.png
Dospal.png (4.82 KiB) Viewed 509 times

Return to “Graphics Development”