32 bpp bridges

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Notch8GEGaming
Engineer
Engineer

32 bpp bridges

Post by Notch8GEGaming »

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could make some 32 bpp American Roads and Bridges as well as Grade Crossings. Thanks in advance.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: 32 bpp bridges

Post by SimYouLater »

Notch8GEGaming wrote:Hello, I was wondering if anyone could make some 32 bpp American Roads and Bridges as well as Grade Crossings. Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately, this is a "you should learn to do it yourself" community. Requests never go anywhere, so unless you're willing to learn NFO, you won't get any bridges.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

I don't remember seeing a "anyone" member here, so no, it's unlikely to happen.

In general, people do this on their own free time. That also means they rather do things they are interested in, than do work for someone else.
So unless there is an active thread on bridges that includes 32bpp versions here, probably nobody has any interest in your wish.

The best way to get something done is to do it yourself. Experience is not required, you just need to be willing to learn. The advantage is you're learning several new skills, get much more interaction with the community than simple one-liners, and you get to create the personally ultimate bridge-set !
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

A better question might be "Are 32 bpp Roads, Bridges and Grade Crossings possible?" I would hesitate to even consider such a project without first knowing if it is possible.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

wallyweb wrote: A better question might be "Are 32 bpp Roads, Bridges and Grade Crossings possible?""
Of course they are. There´s already Andrew350´s Amercian Bridge Replacement Set, complementing his American Road Replacement Set.

What´s missing are "only" 32bpp graphics to finish them.

regards
Michael
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

michael blunck wrote:What´s missing are "only" 32bpp graphics to finish them.
In that case Andrew350 might want to ...
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Considering the general confusion among the community on what exactly "32bpp" actually means, an even better question is what is the OP even asking for?
  1. Taking the suggestion literally would be trivial; I could remove the palettes from the existing ARRS sprites and make a "32bpp" version with little effort, however there is absolutely no benefit to doing that.
  2. Making a new set of similar sprites drawn from scratch with no palette restrictions is also of little use since the resulting sprites would probably be difficult to distinguish from the originals anyway. In other words, a lot more work for no discernible benefit.
  3. Are they referring to making something to match a 3D rendered set like zBase or something similar? Again, tons of work and would likely only result in a slightly different feel, similar to option 2 above.
  4. Are they asking for ExtraZoom sprites? This is often confused with "32bpp" despite being a completely separate feature, and is also a lot of work for something only a handful of sets support to begin with.
Please note I don't personally plan on making any of these, but should anyone get an itch to make it on their own I would be glad to help where I can. :)
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Notch8GEGaming
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Notch8GEGaming »

Andrew350 wrote:Considering the general confusion among the community on what exactly "32bpp" actually means, an even better question is what is the OP even asking for?
  1. Taking the suggestion literally would be trivial; I could remove the palettes from the existing ARRS sprites and make a "32bpp" version with little effort, however there is absolutely no benefit to doing that.
  2. Making a new set of similar sprites drawn from scratch with no palette restrictions is also of little use since the resulting sprites would probably be difficult to distinguish from the originals anyway. In other words, a lot more work for no discernible benefit.
  3. Are they referring to making something to match a 3D rendered set like zBase or something similar? Again, tons of work and would likely only result in a slightly different feel, similar to option 2 above.
  4. Are they asking for ExtraZoom sprites? This is often confused with "32bpp" despite being a completely separate feature, and is also a lot of work for something only a handful of sets support to begin with.
Please note I don't personally plan on making any of these, but should anyone get an itch to make it on their own I would be glad to help where I can. :)
I am indeed talking about a 3D set like zbase, sorry for not clarifying. Would that be a hard thing to do?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Notch8GEGaming wrote: I am indeed talking about a 3D set like zbase, sorry for not clarifying. Would that be a hard thing to do?
Bridge sets are among the moderate-difficulty things to draw: it's usually pretty straight forward, yet the distinction between foreground, track foundation and background can become a bit tricky as does the adjustment to different lengths. And as with any other NewGRF project: it doesn't hurt to have a look at how other sets approach the issue.

Return to “Graphics Development”