acs121's sprites

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: acs121's sprites

Post by acs121 »

kamnet wrote:
acs121 wrote:... as a technically unauthorized version (the very old French Train Set) was downloadable, and still downloadable...
Somebody else violating copyright law doesn't magically free copyrighted items from copyright, nor does it give you permission to also use them.
In fact, Michael was well aware this set existed and used the graphics AND the code from the DB Set. Even if no one knows who is the real author of the set, Michael would have asked for it's removal, at least for the links, if really it was unauthorized. Because Michael never said this set is an unauthorized copy, the original DB Set, containing the two recolored engines, was not "All Right Reserved" as the DB Set XL is right now.
Here is the discussion : clicky me
As you can see Michael did not mind at all someone using HIS graphics, even if there was both the code and graphics from the DB Set. Some engines from the set didn't have any graphic subsitute, such as the steamers and DE-AC33C. As he said, no one contacted him about using his graphics. Also, the DB Set used many engines from the Temperate Set, and as far as i could say, the ver first versions of the DB Set may have been under GPL too. I don't see much possibilities otherwise.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Erato wrote:
acs121 wrote:
kamnet wrote: Somebody else violating copyright law doesn't magically free copyrighted items from copyright, nor does it give you permission to also use them.
In fact, Michael was well aware this set existed and used the graphics AND the code from the DB Set. Even if no one knows who is the real author of the set, Michael would have asked for it's removal, at least for the links, if really it was unauthorized. Because Michael never said this set is an unauthorized copy, the original DB Set, containing the two recolored engines, was not "All Right Reserved" as the DB Set XL is right now.
Here is the discussion : clicky me
As you can see Michael did not mind at all someone using HIS graphics, even if there was both the code and graphics from the DB Set. Some engines from the set didn't have any graphic subsitute, such as the steamers and DE-AC33C. As he said, no one contacted him about using his graphics. Also, the DB Set used many engines from the Temperate Set, and as far as i could say, the ver first versions of the DB Set may have been under GPL too. I don't see much possibilities otherwise.
That doesn't change anything. Other people getting away with breaking the law does not excuse you from doing the same. And besides, the latest version of DB Set (non XL) that I could get my hands on (0.5) specifically mentions the license to be "All Rights Reserved".
Just let it rest, assume All Rights Reserved unless explicitly mentioned, and then it's still advisable to message the original author.
As far as i know, at the time of the release of the set i am talking about, in 2003, the DB Set wasn't "All Rights Rserved".
And how about otherwise getting back on track ? My sprites have been removed by now, and i do not care about them not getting back here.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

acs121 wrote: As far as i know, at the time of the release of the set i am talking about [that mysterious "french set", mb], in 2003, the DB Set wasn't "All Rights Rserved".
You´re definitely wrong here. The very first version of the DB Set (from Josef´s page says "DB Set - © 2003 Michael Blunck - All Rights Reserved."

And with regards to that "french set", I didn´t know that this set still included remnants of original DB set graphics. Why could I? That makes no sense for a French train set, right? But nevertheless, that´s beside the point, since we´re not talking about this one or that "Luukland" train set.

Other than this, it is never helpful to use foreign sprites for your projects. You can only move on by doing your own thing.

regards
Michael
Dave

Post by Dave »

All,

I’m afraid to say I’m disappointed with what manifested in this thread - the discussion was largely left open for Michael Blunck to respond to - the rest was, bluntly, needless flap.

I think I speak for the whole moderator team when saying I would like to bring this matter to a close... I suggest all involved heed the words of Michael:
you can only move on by doing your own thing.
Now. Shall we allow graphics to continue, within the rules - and indeed the letter of the law, please?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

michael blunck wrote:
acs121 wrote: As far as i know, at the time of the release of the set i am talking about [that mysterious "french set", mb], in 2003, the DB Set wasn't "All Rights Rserved".
You´re definitely wrong here. The very first version of the DB Set (from Josef´s page says "DB Set - © 2003 Michael Blunck - All Rights Reserved."

And with regards to that "french set", I didn´t know that this set still included remnants of original DB set graphics. Why could I? That makes no sense for a French train set, right? But nevertheless, that´s beside the point, since we´re not talking about this one or that "Luukland" train set.

Other than this, it is never helpful to use foreign sprites for your projects. You can only move on by doing your own thing.

regards
Michael
In fact, there are train sets that simply use foreign sprites for projects, like 2cc TrainsInNML, which uses sprites from the Dutch Trainset or the Finnish Trainset, alongside others. However, i do not plan to use any of those sprites for any project. They simply are here for that reason.

I will end this discussion here. It is the last thing i wanted to say about this issue.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Dave wrote:All,

I’m afraid to say I’m disappointed with what manifested in this thread - the discussion was largely left open for Michael Blunck to respond to - the rest was, bluntly, needless flap.

I think I speak for the whole moderator team when saying I would like to bring this matter to a close... I suggest all involved heed the words of Michael:
you can only move on by doing your own thing.
Now. Shall we allow graphics to continue, within the rules - and indeed the letter of the law, please?
I don't use other people's sprites without their permission, just to be clear. That said, I have used sprites from URKS1 with permission in the Quicksilver add-on, and I don't plan on making my own train sprites anytime soon. Why is there anything wrong with reusing sprites, as long as the art style matches up?
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.

Return to “Graphics Development”