Elevated Subway Tracks as tram tracks

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Elevated Subway Tracks as tram tracks

Post by Tony Pixel »

Problem of the rail-type subway trains is a impossibility to lay them over roads in towns. My concept is to create the 2x zoom tram-type elevated rail with the pack of 2x zoom trains. If anyone who know hot to make tram tracks in NML or NFO wants to help me, please write here.
Image Image
Sprite artist and NewGRF developer, coding in NML. My projects:
NewGRFs: Not Enough Subways Set | North American Passenger Railroads | Elevated Subway Bridge | Tony Pixel's Subway Equipment Set (frozen)
Screenshots: New York City Subway Episodes
kamnet

Re: Elevated Subway Tracks as tram tracks

Post by kamnet »

Keep in mind that your subway cars are still going to be treated as road vehicles in the game. Even though the effect is elevated over the road, they're still going to take up that space on the road and if there are road vehicles in front, your train vehicle is going to slow or stop behind them, and road vehicles will queue behind your train.

If you wish to keep them as railtypes, you can build bridges over roads, and you'll just need to build an elevated piece of land for the tracks to connect to for any stops or corners. And now that I think about it, you could do the same with the trams and just run them as separate layer above.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

It was said there would be a high possibility for implementation of elevated tramways in NotRoadTypes. Just wait, andythenorth and Wolf01 are very busy with trying to make this work :wink:
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

acs121 wrote:It was said there would be a high possibility for implementation of elevated tramways in NotRoadTypes. Just wait, andythenorth and Wolf01 are very busy with trying to make this work :wink:
I think it's unlikely. Elevated vehicles clip bridges and tunnels badly. Others may disagree and patch it anyway.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

A long time ago, I did something very, very similar -- although instead of elevated trains, they were underground subways!

See: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62672#p1046538
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

Yes, I used those underground trains, they are cool. We can make these elevated tracks lay above one of the two roads, lying beside, and make the road under 'El' don't used by RV's through putting there arrows:
Attachments
Kinnford Transport, 13-е июл 1954 г..png
(93.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Image Image
NewGRFs: Not Enough Subways Set | North American Passenger Railroads | Elevated Subway Bridge | Tony Pixel's Subway Equipment Set (frozen)
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

Here is an early attempt to draw an idea.
Attachments
Elevated tracks mockup.png
Elevated tracks mockup.png (4.7 KiB) Viewed 2431 times
Image Image
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

It could be drawn as catenary
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

Gwyd wrote:It could be drawn as catenary
No, catenary overlays vehicle sprites, our trains will be under the tracks.
Image Image
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

So, I can make it with NFO?
Image Image
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Tony Pixel wrote:So, I can make it with NFO?
IIRC NML can code sprite replacements. I don't know how to do it but it's possible.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Tony Pixel wrote:Here is an early attempt to draw an idea.
If you manage to sprite all this, i can code this as an NML tramtype for NRT (patch allowing types of road and tramway). You would only have to code your subways as tramways then. You can also code it by yourself, i can help you on how to do it. You can download the modified nml build here.
You can look a little at the NRT specifications here.
einsteinyh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by einsteinyh »

andythenorth wrote:
acs121 wrote:It was said there would be a high possibility for implementation of elevated tramways in NotRoadTypes. Just wait, andythenorth and Wolf01 are very busy with trying to make this work :wink:
I think it's unlikely. Elevated vehicles clip bridges and tunnels badly. Others may disagree and patch it anyway.
Maybe a workaround for this could be disallowing bridges for different-layer vehicles. Couldn't it?
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

einsteinyh wrote:
andythenorth wrote:
Maybe a workaround for this could be disallowing bridges for different-layer vehicles. Couldn't it?
Yes, elevated tunnels is nonsens :D
Image Image
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Disallow tunnels for elevated type.
Disallow rail crossings (clips rail catenary).
Disallow same tile as road or tram types with catenary (clips catenary).
Disallow building the elevated type on bridges (clips some bridge sprites, e.g. wooden, tubular).
Disallow building bridges/aqueducts over the elevated type (clips the bridge deck).
Depots for the elevated type would need to be high enough - that would be up to the grf author to draw, doesn't require any special allow/disallow.
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

Ok, thanks :) but, I don't working with this project now: I don't know NFO and there are no one at this moment wants to help me
Image Image
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Tony Pixel wrote:Ok, thanks :) but, I don't working with this project now: I don't know NFO and there are no one at this moment wants to help me
I said you can code this in NML. You just need to look at my post up there. I can help you a lot with coding an NRT tramtype. If you do the graphics, i sure can code it ! However, if you want to code it yourself, look at my post up here, and learn all you need.
For everything cited by andy, it's only up to the player to not use bridges, etc.
einsteinyh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by einsteinyh »

andythenorth wrote:Disallow tunnels for elevated type.
<1>Disallow rail crossings (clips rail catenary).
<2>Disallow same tile as road or tram types with catenary (clips catenary).
<3>Disallow building the elevated type on bridges (clips some bridge sprites, e.g. wooden, tubular).
<4>Disallow building bridges/aqueducts over the elevated type (clips the bridge deck).
<5>Depots for the elevated type would need to be high enough - that would be up to the grf author to draw, doesn't require any special allow/disallow.
1. It would be like metro track set, without any level crossing
2. Good point, there could be a huge conflict in junctions between elevated+road and tram+road
3. Or simply make them go at bridges' height, making elevated(well, subway) roads go at normal level and disallowing any other kind of road over same bridge
4. Another very good point
5. I completely agree, it wouldn't have too much diference with any other depot
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

Ok, I try code it with NML. What means 'not road type'?
Image Image
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

acs121 wrote:
Tony Pixel wrote:Ok, thanks :) but, I don't working with this project now: I don't know NFO and there are no one at this moment wants to help me
I said you can code this in NML. You just need to look at my post up there. I can help you a lot with coding an NRT tramtype. If you do the graphics, i sure can code it ! However, if you want to code it yourself, look at my post up here, and learn all you need.
For everything cited by andy, it's only up to the player to not use bridges, etc.
Ok, I agree you can code it for me. I write you when make sprites.
Image Image

Return to “Graphics Development”