Iron Horse "Quicksilver" Add-On

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Iron Horse "Quicksilver" Add-On

Post by SimYouLater »

acs121 wrote:Well, Class 22 needs debating before inclusion though. So let's skip this, and move on to other thingies...
Brush Avocet.png
Stadler Euro Dual.png
If you're wondering, the Avocet is the Class 89 and the Euro Dual is the Class 88. I gave them those filenames for the simple reason that i didn't find a proper name yet. Maybe "Shark" for the Avocet and "Double Juice" (reference to IH 1) for the Euro Dual ?
Would it be possible to add company color or details to differentiate the two? They look almost identical, and I nearly mistook them as the same file accidentally uploaded twice.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Actually i did add CC but i don't know how i can modify the Euro Dual for it to look less like the Avocet.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

acs121 wrote:Actually i did add CC but i don't know how i can modify the Euro Dual for it to look less like the Avocet.
Try adding company color "logos" or "liveries" to the sides, different ones for each loco. Or just invert the CC of one of them?
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

SimYouLater wrote:
acs121 wrote:Actually i did add CC but i don't know how i can modify the Euro Dual for it to look less like the Avocet.
Try adding company color "logos" or "liveries" to the sides, different ones for each loco. Or just invert the CC of one of them?
I improved the Avocet sprites and gave it an Intercity-style livery and more shading.
Attachments
Brush Avocet.png
Brush Avocet.png (2.13 KiB) Viewed 2805 times
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Made a mistake uploading "3.5", it was actually 3.4 with code that wouldn't compile, so 3.7 is the latest version.
acs121 wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:
I improved the Avocet sprites and gave it an Intercity-style livery and more shading.
For some reason, the two locos you provided are not in TTD palette, and GIMP is unable to convert them to the correct palette. Unless you o0r someone else fixes them, we can't add the Badger or Double Juice. Fixed. Sorry about that.
Licenses for my work...
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

My £0.02: stick the Broken Nose loco in if there's a gameplay purpose.

Everything in Horse is gameplay orientated, and 'inspired by':
  • some engines have stats and appearance close to a real train because it fits gameplay
  • others take something real and distort key stats or appearance
  • some are invented entirely (based on never-built designs or 'might have beens')
If you want to do a strict-realism add-on, Horse is the wrong grf to choose :) . Try RUKTS or one of the many "BR-something" sets :twisted:
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

andythenorth wrote:My £0.02: stick the Broken Nose loco in if there's a gameplay purpose.

• some engines have stats and appearance close to a real train because it fits gameplay
  • some are invented entirely (based on never-built designs or 'might have beens')
If you want to do a strict-realism add-on, Horse is the wrong grf to choose :) . Try RUKTS or one of the many "BR-something" sets :twisted:
Good point.

You got your wish, acs121! :P 3.8 will include the Broken Nose.
Licenses for my work...
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

SimYouLater wrote:
andythenorth wrote:My £0.02: stick the Broken Nose loco in if there's a gameplay purpose.

Good point.

Hmmm...how about totally faking the stats of the Broken Nose, and giving it like 125mph speed to make it an express pax loco ?
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

acs121 wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:

Good point.

Hmmm...how about totally faking the stats of the Broken Nose, and giving it like 125mph speed to make it an express pax loco ?
How are these?

Quicksilver (1935)
2450 hp, 185 km/h

Broken Nose (1975)
5850 hp, 185 km/h

Badger (1987)
7510 hp, 200 km/h

Double Juice (2015)
9100 hp, 225 km/h
Licenses for my work...
Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

Only issue with the Quicksilver is that it tops out at 115, but all the coaches limit it to 100.

Other than that, looks nice.
Something goes here, hell if I know.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Comm Cody wrote:Only issue with the Quicksilver is that it tops out at 115, but all the coaches limit it to 100.

Speed limits? Iron Horse has speed limits?
Licenses for my work...
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

SimYouLater wrote:
Comm Cody wrote:Only issue with the Quicksilver is that it tops out at 115, but all the coaches limit it to 100.

Speed limits? Iron Horse has speed limits?
The coaches have a speed limit, of course. But still, there's a parameter to disable car speed limit if it bothers people. It's true it's really annoying. :wink:
So i think it should be like this :
Quicksilver - 1935 - 185kph - 1450hp
Broken Nose - 1976 - 201kph - 4850hp
Badger - 1989 - 211kph 5010hp
Double Juice - 2015 - 201kph - 9110hp

I lowered the Double Juice speed because it would be totally OP if it was faster than all locos (fastest in IH2 is 217kph) and had huge horsepower.
Also, all steamers, even streamliners, don't provide this much power - even 1450 is a lot for a steamer.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

acs121 wrote: So i think it should be like this :

I lowered the Double Juice speed because it would be totally OP if it was faster than all locos (fastest in IH2 is 217kph) and had huge horsepower.
Also, all steamers, even streamliners, don't provide this much power - even 1450 is a lot for a steamer.
The highest recorded power output from an A4 was 2450 drawbar horsepower when Mallard herself was hauling 11 coaches (390 tons tare, 415 tons gross) up Stoke Bank at a sustained 80 mph in 1963.

Admittedly that was at 80 mph, I'll reduce it to 781 hp and 175 km/h.

Other than that, I'll use the stats you provided.
Last edited by SimYouLater on 20 May 2018 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
Licenses for my work...
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I'm okay for 2450. But no more, okay ?
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Because those trains are not in IH2 in any form, i decided to take back the Electra, Cyclops and Cargo Sprinter.
Cargo Sprinter DMU.png
Cargo Sprinter DMU.png (5.21 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

SimYouLater wrote:
acs121 wrote: So i think it should be like this :

The highest recorded power output from an A4 was 2450 drawbar horsepower when Mallard herself was hauling 11 coaches (390 tons tare, 415 tons gross) up Stoke Bank at a sustained 80 mph in 1963.
acs121 wrote:I'm okay for 2450. But no more, okay ?
SimYouLater wrote:Admittedly that was at 80 mph, I'll reduce it to 781 hp and 175 km/h.

Other than that, I'll use the stats you provided.
Sorry you missed that.
acs121 wrote:Because those trains are not in IH2 in any form, i decided to take back the Electra, Cyclops and Cargo Sprinter.

Cargo Sprinter DMU.png
Thanks. Try not to double post!
Licenses for my work...
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I know, but for some reason i couldn't edit my post.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

acs121 wrote:I know, but for some reason i couldn't edit my post.
Just to be sure, where did you get the sprites for the Badger, Broken Nose and Double Juice? I don't trust you to do licensing right.
Licenses for my work...
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Both the Badger and Double Juice appear to be based on the Class 90 from UKRS2, which is fine by me (although without reworking they won't match the scale of IH, and there is an actual Avocet in UKRS2 which is probably a better starting point).
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

PikkaBird wrote:Both the Badger and Double Juice appear to be based on the Class 90 from UKRS2, which is fine by me (although without reworking they won't match the scale of IH, and there is an actual Avocet in UKRS2 which is probably a better starting point).
They are heavily based on the Class 89 and 90 from UKRS2, even though i actually mainly used the SH 40 to do those graphics.
I did not license the graphics yet. So...which license, since UKRS is All Rights Reserved and the baseset GPL v3 IIRC ? :?

Return to “Graphics Development”