Expansion Of The AV8 & AV9 Sets???

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
TheCriminalViolin
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 14
Joined: 30 Mar 2018 07:40
Location: Portland Metro Area, Oregon
Contact:

Expansion Of The AV8 & AV9 Sets???

Post by TheCriminalViolin » 30 Mar 2018 08:05

Hello, I am new to the forums and after a long, LONG while of considering the idea of suggesting & fielding possible interest in further expansion and updating of the AV8 & AV9 sets, I decided to do it. To be honest - I've been considering this for over a year now haha.

I LOVE the AV sets & Real World Airlines, and though they are already quite expansive & very, very well done, I am like Keralis and cannot ever get enough of all the details & little things like what these GRFs bring to the game. I have always been a diehard transit "whore", for lack of a better term, spending hours upon hours per month ranting, raving, searching, investigating, thinking, observing, etc, etc all areas of mass transit, especially buses & aircraft, along with the various transit companies behind them 'round the world. In this spirit, I have found MANY more airlines and even many more airplanes that I feel should be added to the AV & RWA GRF sets. Even all the recent shifts in liveries of airlines as well. The sudden startups and new kids on the block showing up all the long-timers. New aircraft from all the world's big dogs to new aircraft manufacturers. Boeing's 787s, AirBus's A350s, A319, A318, A321, their Beluga concept, Embraer's new release, Bombardier's newest releases, and even Sukoi, Yakolev, CRAIC, Irkut & COMAC planes that the GRFs left out. Antonov has plenty of influential planes yet were completely skipped. Even Ilyushin has a few they left out. Hell, I'd even throw in McDonnell-Douglas' MD-12 concept plane. Supersonic commercial jets are back to being conceptualized, studied and even built, after priory being scrapped entirely by everyone. Boeing is back at it, Antonov is looking into reconsidering picking up on their An-144 & An-244 concepts where they had left off. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Airbus was looking into it themselves.

To me, this would add oh so much more to the game, even when this exact set of GRFs already does such as is - it would therefore in my mind add far more than they already do for sure. I would be absolutely ecstatic and utterly enthralled if I were to see, hear or even stumble onto a new expansion for such.

Thank you for taking the time out of your days to read this suggestion, I appreciate it. Any feedback, ideas & suggestions is also appreciated of course, and most certainly seeing a show of hands so to speak is especially exciting haha.

-Danny, TheCriminalViolin
-Danny, TheCriminalViolin

YouTube Channel: http://youtube.com/c/thecriminalviolinGAMES/
Twitter (BEWARE THE SPAM AND OCCASIONAL RANTS) http://twitter.com/rumproast/

In the land of TriMess, you either choose to be stuck in traffic for over an hour, or, rely on TriMet, only to encounter constantly late buses, broken down buses, drivers ignoring waiting riders, or, light rail trains ran as commuter trains that consistently encounter switch, light and lift issues. According to them and the rest of the government run transit agencies, it's the world's "Transit Mecca". Europe, save us, please.

User avatar
kamnet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6706
Joined: 28 Sep 2009 17:15
Location: Eastern KY
Contact:

Re: Expansion Of The AV8 & AV9 Sets???

Post by kamnet » 30 Mar 2018 12:36

I believe that PikkaBird has stated he will not be expanding or working on AV8/AV9 any further.

User avatar
TheCriminalViolin
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 14
Joined: 30 Mar 2018 07:40
Location: Portland Metro Area, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Expansion Of The AV8 & AV9 Sets???

Post by TheCriminalViolin » 30 Mar 2018 15:55

kamnet wrote:I believe that PikkaBird has stated he will not be expanding or working on AV8/AV9 any further.
I do know this, and I suppose I should have specified that I meant someone other than him expanding it at all because of such. I'd do it myself if I had any idea how to haha. I figured there would likely be at least a few people that'd be willing to work on an expansion of them, if not a small handful. So, it was directed at these people specifically as a suggestion. Anyone really who'd be willing & excited for the prospects of an expansion enough to work on one themselves.
-Danny, TheCriminalViolin

YouTube Channel: http://youtube.com/c/thecriminalviolinGAMES/
Twitter (BEWARE THE SPAM AND OCCASIONAL RANTS) http://twitter.com/rumproast/

In the land of TriMess, you either choose to be stuck in traffic for over an hour, or, rely on TriMet, only to encounter constantly late buses, broken down buses, drivers ignoring waiting riders, or, light rail trains ran as commuter trains that consistently encounter switch, light and lift issues. According to them and the rest of the government run transit agencies, it's the world's "Transit Mecca". Europe, save us, please.

User avatar
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator
Posts: 5383
Joined: 13 Sep 2004 13:21
Location: The Moon
Contact:

Re: Expansion Of The AV8 & AV9 Sets???

Post by PikkaBird » 30 Mar 2018 19:51

TheCriminalViolin wrote:I'd do it myself if I had any idea how to haha.
How often we hear this said... but no-one's born with the knowledge, we all had to learn some time. :)

I'd like to develop a resource where more people can learn and contribute to NewGRF development - I'll have more on that in the next couple of weeks. But in the meantime, if you'd like to use Av8 sprites as a base for your own work, you're welcome to.

User avatar
kamnet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6706
Joined: 28 Sep 2009 17:15
Location: Eastern KY
Contact:

Re: Expansion Of The AV8 & AV9 Sets???

Post by kamnet » 30 Mar 2018 21:29

TheCriminalViolin wrote:
kamnet wrote:I believe that PikkaBird has stated he will not be expanding or working on AV8/AV9 any further.
I do know this, and I suppose I should have specified that I meant someone other than him expanding it at all because of such. I'd do it myself if I had any idea how to haha. I figured there would likely be at least a few people that'd be willing to work on an expansion of them, if not a small handful. So, it was directed at these people specifically as a suggestion. Anyone really who'd be willing & excited for the prospects of an expansion enough to work on one themselves.
I didn't know anything about it either when I started. I haven't contributed much, but I did make a few things that people liked (a rock, a parking lot, some music). It does take some time, but we have a community of people here who can help you on the way.

You're going to be the most excited person for any project you can think of. You are your own best hope for taking your dreams and making them real.

User avatar
TheCriminalViolin
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 14
Joined: 30 Mar 2018 07:40
Location: Portland Metro Area, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Expansion Of The AV8 & AV9 Sets???

Post by TheCriminalViolin » 31 Mar 2018 22:33

PikkaBird wrote:
TheCriminalViolin wrote:I'd do it myself if I had any idea how to haha.
How often we hear this said... but no-one's born with the knowledge, we all had to learn some time. :)

I'd like to develop a resource where more people can learn and contribute to NewGRF development - I'll have more on that in the next couple of weeks. But in the meantime, if you'd like to use Av8 sprites as a base for your own work, you're welcome to.
Yes, it is never easy to go head first into things you've never tried before with all the varying information and possible routes one can take when starting. I actually had looked up how to make GRFs, and even went specific as to how to add simple skins to already existing GRFs, in this case your planes in AV8/AV9, but only come up even then with the same as when searching on how to make an entirely new GRF oneself. So, as for simply adding new skins/liveries to the pre-existing planes within your pack, I cannot seem to locate anything specifically on how to do that on Google, oddly enough.

And Thank you for the permission to use your AV8/AV9 set of yours as a base. That'll surely be helpful if I ever manage to learn how to do it. :D
-Danny, TheCriminalViolin

YouTube Channel: http://youtube.com/c/thecriminalviolinGAMES/
Twitter (BEWARE THE SPAM AND OCCASIONAL RANTS) http://twitter.com/rumproast/

In the land of TriMess, you either choose to be stuck in traffic for over an hour, or, rely on TriMet, only to encounter constantly late buses, broken down buses, drivers ignoring waiting riders, or, light rail trains ran as commuter trains that consistently encounter switch, light and lift issues. According to them and the rest of the government run transit agencies, it's the world's "Transit Mecca". Europe, save us, please.

User avatar
TheCriminalViolin
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 14
Joined: 30 Mar 2018 07:40
Location: Portland Metro Area, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Expansion Of The AV8 & AV9 Sets???

Post by TheCriminalViolin » 31 Mar 2018 22:37

kamnet wrote:
TheCriminalViolin wrote:
kamnet wrote:I believe that PikkaBird has stated he will not be expanding or working on AV8/AV9 any further.
I do know this, and I suppose I should have specified that I meant someone other than him expanding it at all because of such. I'd do it myself if I had any idea how to haha. I figured there would likely be at least a few people that'd be willing to work on an expansion of them, if not a small handful. So, it was directed at these people specifically as a suggestion. Anyone really who'd be willing & excited for the prospects of an expansion enough to work on one themselves.
I didn't know anything about it either when I started. I haven't contributed much, but I did make a few things that people liked (a rock, a parking lot, some music). It does take some time, but we have a community of people here who can help you on the way.

You're going to be the most excited person for any project you can think of. You are your own best hope for taking your dreams and making them real.
I have likely used that rock at one point or another haha. Probably around the same time I toyed around with the Eye Candy Vehicles & Custom Eye Candy Airport GRFs. I took a look through the custom airports suggestion here on the forums in fact the other night, and, when I saw someone note they'd likely be FAR to expansive, I could only chuckle remembering that GRF. Even the smallest airport was immense. Unreasonably so in fact, and yes it was fun to look at, but that was just it - a looker, nothing more. But I digress haha. :wink:
-Danny, TheCriminalViolin

YouTube Channel: http://youtube.com/c/thecriminalviolinGAMES/
Twitter (BEWARE THE SPAM AND OCCASIONAL RANTS) http://twitter.com/rumproast/

In the land of TriMess, you either choose to be stuck in traffic for over an hour, or, rely on TriMet, only to encounter constantly late buses, broken down buses, drivers ignoring waiting riders, or, light rail trains ran as commuter trains that consistently encounter switch, light and lift issues. According to them and the rest of the government run transit agencies, it's the world's "Transit Mecca". Europe, save us, please.

Poker2012chu
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 2
Joined: 18 Dec 2018 00:18
Location: Kansas City Area

Re: Expansion Of The AV8 & AV9 Sets???

Post by Poker2012chu » 18 Dec 2018 00:55

TheCriminalViolin wrote:
PikkaBird wrote:
TheCriminalViolin wrote:I'd do it myself if I had any idea how to haha.
How often we hear this said... but no-one's born with the knowledge, we all had to learn some time. :)

I'd like to develop a resource where more people can learn and contribute to NewGRF development - I'll have more on that in the next couple of weeks. But in the meantime, if you'd like to use Av8 sprites as a base for your own work, you're welcome to.
Yes, it is never easy to go head first into things you've never tried before with all the varying information and possible routes one can take when starting. I actually had looked up how to make GRFs, and even went specific as to how to add simple skins to already existing GRFs, in this case your planes in AV8/AV9, but only come up even then with the same as when searching on how to make an entirely new GRF oneself. So, as for simply adding new skins/liveries to the pre-existing planes within your pack, I cannot seem to locate anything specifically on how to do that on Google, oddly enough.

And Thank you for the permission to use your AV8/AV9 set of yours as a base. That'll surely be helpful if I ever manage to learn how to do it. :D
Did you manage to learn how to do this yet? I too have considered doing something like this if given the opportunity and appropriate permission if based off of AV8/AV9, etc. Granted I have never made a newgrf before. However, I have been able to modify airports in X-Plane to have more features, and as an aviation enthusiast, so much has changed in the last decade with aviation. For sure, there are some updated liveries that I would love to make if I can learn how to make new liveries for these sets. If I made an airliner set, it would probably include changes like:

- The new American Airlines liveries for the 738, A319, A320, A321, 757, 767, 777, 787, 38M (aka 737-800 MAX)

- Blue Canyon livery on Southwest for the 737-700 and the Heart One livery for the 738 and 38M

- Delta Airlines would also use the 717, A350, A330, A330NEO, A321, 739, A220 (formerly CS100 or CS300) and A321NEO in addition to what it already uses (it has been a few months since I last played OpenTTD with WAS, so maybe a couple of these already use the DL livery, I can't remember.

- Split Scimitar winglets variants for the 737NG's and 737 MAX as well as all of the 737 variants on United Airlines

- Sharklets winglet variants for Airbus A32x and A319's

These are just some examples to see in a modern, updated airliner set for OpenTTD here in 2018/2019. I live in the US, so obviously these are all US examples. Some of these, like the MAX, or Airbus NEO's are not in WAS, but I imagine they can be created.

If nothing else, I would at least like to see the liveries updated. It appears the original author of the WAS may not be working on this further, but if given the opportunity and permission, I would not mind trying my hand at doing this if you will not be working on this. If you or anyone has any resources on how to go about doing this (other than maybe the occasional Youtube videos), I am all ears!
Last edited by Poker2012chu on 18 Dec 2018 01:23, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kamnet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6706
Joined: 28 Sep 2009 17:15
Location: Eastern KY
Contact:

Re: Expansion Of The AV8 & AV9 Sets???

Post by kamnet » 18 Dec 2018 01:14

Poker2012chu wrote:If nothing else, I would at least like to see the liveries updated. It appears the original author of the WAS may not be working on this further, but if given the opportunity and permission, I would not mind trying my hand at doing this if you will not be working on this. If you or anyone has any resources on how to go about doing this (other than maybe the occasional Youtube videos), I am all ears!
WAS was just updated a few days ago with new sprites (B737-300F Qantas Freight was added). More info here: https://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/worldairlinersset

Poker2012chu
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 2
Joined: 18 Dec 2018 00:18
Location: Kansas City Area

Re: Expansion Of The AV8 & AV9 Sets???

Post by Poker2012chu » 18 Dec 2018 01:20

kamnet wrote:
Poker2012chu wrote:If nothing else, I would at least like to see the liveries updated. It appears the original author of the WAS may not be working on this further, but if given the opportunity and permission, I would not mind trying my hand at doing this if you will not be working on this. If you or anyone has any resources on how to go about doing this (other than maybe the occasional Youtube videos), I am all ears!
WAS was just updated a few days ago with new sprites (B737-300F Qantas Freight was added). More info here: https://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/worldairlinersset
Ah, I did not see that previously. I had no idea.

Thanks for linking that! I'll be sure to check it out. :)

User avatar
kamnet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6706
Joined: 28 Sep 2009 17:15
Location: Eastern KY
Contact:

Re: Expansion Of The AV8 & AV9 Sets???

Post by kamnet » 18 Dec 2018 01:40

WAS would certainly appreciate having some new artists kicking in the liveries they want to see.

Post Reply

Return to “Graphics Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests