Vactrain Set Development Thread - 1.0.1 Now Available

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zoeff
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Vactrain Set Dev Thread - Beta Available

Post by Zoeff »

Emperor Jake wrote:This beta was meant as a bug testing release, since there don't seem to be any I'll post it to Bananas as soon as I get around to adding new features :)
That would be amazing!
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Vactrain Set Dev Thread - Beta Available

Post by trainman1432 »

literally unplayable
Attachments
literally unplayable.PNG
literally unplayable.PNG (475.75 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
Jetrain
YATTC
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Vactrain Set Development Thread - 1.0.1 Now Available

Post by Emperor Jake »

trainman1432 wrote:literally unplayable
heh :P

---

The new version is finally out! Here is the source code for version 1.0.1, 2018-07-22
vactrain_1.0.1_src.zip
Vactrain Set 1.0.1 Source Code and GRF, 2018-07-22
(539.65 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

edit: Damn, I uploaded a file with an outdated version of the readme to Bananas and it's not letting me update it. Says the file is the same "footprint" even with the new readme and changing the filename. Do I just have to wait a bit?
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Emperor Jake wrote:Damn, I uploaded a file with an outdated version of the readme to Bananas and it's not letting me update it. Says the file is the same "footprint" even with the new readme and changing the filename. Do I just have to wait a bit?
You may have to make a small change to the grf itself for bananas to recognize a change.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Bananas doesn't recognize changes in documentation, only in the NewGRF itself
WalkedBy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WalkedBy »

Would be interesting to try this when unlocked by year, meanwhile small problem report - set build cost multiplier (only for building cost, other two cost params work fine) seems overridden by basecosts when basecosts is placed after set, while (again, seems) expected bechaviour is both basecosts and grf to affect final price
happysmash27
Engineer
Engineer

Post by happysmash27 »

Why does this make all the costs of tracks from other tracksets so ridiculously expensive when using them with this? I can't seem to get this to balance well with anything!
happysmash27
Engineer
Engineer

Post by happysmash27 »

In addition to the cost issue, it is also hard to get this to integrate in style with the Maglev Track set (viewtopic.php?t=76532). Perhaps it might make sense to make some version of this mod based on that, where there are at least a couple type of vactrain types based on different maglev tracks? From the information I can find related to the trains in this set so far, it looks like Swissmetro would use one based on Transrapid while some hyperloop capsule would be based on something with linear induction motor propulsion.
pickpacket
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pickpacket »

What's the difference between the Vactrain Set and the Vactrain Set 1.1.FORK?
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

pickpacket wrote: 11 Oct 2023 16:15 What's the difference between the Vactrain Set and the Vactrain Set 1.1.FORK?
The Fork version adds parameters to adjust the intro dates of the trains. If I ever decide to update the Vactrain set, I'll re-integrate the fork :)
pickpacket
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pickpacket »

Nice feature :) What are the default intro dates?

EDIT: can maglev trains run on vactrain tracks?
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

The first is the Hyperloop in 2022, and the final models come around 2100 or so. And no, regular maglev trains weren't designed to withstand the vacuum so they're not allowed to enter the vactubes. However it is possible to attach vanilla maglev wagons to the Vactrain freight locomotives if you want :wink:
kongbuur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kongbuur »

Hello,

I'm having a lot of fun with this set and a pax game. We are several 100 years into the future and theres like 600+ Shinkansen 4000 going from one 100k+ population city to another in one big network. There are way too many trains now (they never reach top speed before they have to stop for someone else) and I should really quit... But before doing that, I'd like to try setting the loading time to "fast" on that particular train. It turns out to be much harder than I thought. This may be the wrong place to post, since I'm basically asking how to edit a single little thing in a NewGRF. But I'm very specifically trying to edit this NewGRF, so I gave it a go and asked here. Can i somehow make Shinkansen 4000 in this set have the fastest loading speed?. How on earth do I do it? I have luck with NML or GRF2HTML. I haven't even managed to open the file in any other way than unreadable notepad.

Could someone tell me in easy steps how to do that? Or is it very complicated?

Thanks in advance.
chujo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chujo »

kongbuur wrote: 04 Feb 2024 15:21 Could someone tell me in easy steps how to do that? Or is it very complicated?
1) Get the source files here: viewtopic.php?p=1210099#p1210099
(or Vactrain Set 1.1.FORK here: https://github.com/joshbarrass/vactrain

2) Get the NML Compiler here: https://github.com/OpenTTD/nml/releases

3) Find every "loading_speed:" parameter in "vactrain.nml" (you can use Notepad) and change it accordingly: https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/N ... 5%20(cargo

4) Use nmlc.exe to compile the changed "vactrain.nml" into "vactrain.grf": https://github.com/OpenTTD/nml?tab=read ... le#4-usage

5) If it's not gonna be a proper fork and you don't understand GRFID, probably don't share or upload the result.

More detailed tutorial is here: https://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NMLTutorial
kongbuur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kongbuur »

Thanks. I'll give it another go (and not upload anything. that's for sure :)) I'm just stuck at not being able to open anything with the compiler. Not much of a programmer here... So somewhere between 2 and 3 is where I am. Maybe I should just give up. I think I need the command to open a file. Or to tell the file to "open with..." NML. Thanks anyway!
chujo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chujo »

kongbuur wrote: 04 Feb 2024 16:32 Thanks. I'll give it another go (and not upload anything. that's for sure :)) I'm just stuck at not being able to open anything with the compiler. Not much of a programmer here... So somewhere between 2 and 3 is where I am. Maybe I should just give up. I think I need the command to open a file. Or to tell the file to "open with..." NML. Thanks anyway!
Like I said in 3), you can open *.nml files in Notepad, it's basically a txt file with a fancy file extension.

(you can join Discord for more efficient Q&A interaction: https://discord.gg/openttd)
chujo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chujo »

kongbuur wrote: 04 Feb 2024 16:32 .
This is my one good deed for this year, so don't waste it!

I added a parameter for loading speeds, it has range 0-255 (this is what the numbers mean: https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/N ... 20%28cargo

It's for personal use only.

P.S. Because of this, I'm not gonna save a drowning child, I hope you're happy.
Last edited by chujo on 04 Feb 2024 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
kongbuur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kongbuur »

Poor kid :) But yes, I'm very happy, though a little embarasse I couldn't do it myself. Thanks for picking me for the one good deed this year. I'm special! :)
kongbuur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kongbuur »

I feel I should warn anyone wanting to do this too. You just end up having problems with trains leaving stations. They cannot get out fast enough. And block the entrance leaving. If it's a terminus station, You might as well just have 2 platforms. So (much) faster loading speeds on a big station just gives You a long queue outside (same as before, only then the platforms were full of trains. Now they are also outside, so worse, basically). A train enters, a train leaves, train enters, train leaves. Never a full station. I should have guessed....

Kind of fun and cheaty (but my game is all Shinkansen 4000 and that Silk one for cargo, so already crazy) on small pickups and such (like 5-6-7 small trains getting wood to a sawmill on a 3 track roro) but it does NOT fix a busy city passenger station at all. But thanks again to Chujo. Also for making it a reversible parameter.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Nice, I'll integrate this parameter if I ever get around to updating this set 😅

Return to “Graphics Development”