Francilian train set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Francilian train set

Post by acs121 »

Hi,
I'm starting a train set of trains you can regularly see near Paris - mostly the ones used for the RER and Transilien (same as S-Bahns), and the subways too.
I have begun the tracking table, but it's not finished yet.
I have also made sprites for a few trains, but i don't have anyone coding them yet, though i have the stats.
z5600.png
z5600.png (7.19 KiB) Viewed 2864 times
The Z5600
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Francilian train set

Post by Leanden »

Did this really need a seperate thread to your SNCF Corail cars?

One thread for French trains would surely be sufficient.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Corail cars are not used for RER and Transilien services.
For the French trains, there already was a french trainset in developement, and they said they would finish it once the narrow gauge set would be finished. Note that the narrow gauge set is still active, as Snail gave me the test version.

As their french trainset can't contain each french locomotive and MU, i decided to create a trainset specially for the trains used for RER, Transilien and maybe subway services.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

acs121 wrote:Corail cars are not used for RER and Transilien services.
... As their french trainset can't contain each french locomotive and MU, i decided to create a trainset specially for the trains used for RER, Transilien and maybe subway services.
They really can include every french train.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Look at this first, and tell me if they can include everything of this.
Oh, and i plan to add maybe the Paris subways too, things they won't include since their set is centered on mainline trains.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

acs121 wrote:Look at this first, and tell me if they can include everything of this.
Oh, and i plan to add maybe the Paris subways too, things they won't include since their set is centered on mainline trains.
Will you include everything though? No NewGRF has everything. Many, especially national NewGRFs like the French Train set won't include everything, because there are just not enough artists, but will still aim to be as broad as possible.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

The French set I have in mind won't include the RER rolling stock, so I'd more than welcome the creation of this set. ;)

More than a matter of a lack of artists, it's about lack of time :p I'm still not done with the NG part of the set (currently working on implementing Andy's new cargoes, such as "vehicle bodies"). When the narrow gauge part is released, I'll start work on the SG French set, and I also have an Italian set in mind (I'll most likely work on them in parallel). The latter will also include threephase engines that are currently being discussed in another thread.
Graphics for many early French steamers is ready, so hopefully it won't take 10 years to finish it.... :p
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

I beg to differ. BRTrains already has an incredibly vast number of trains and is growing nearly every day.

You literally can include all of them in one set.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Erato : I will add the major trains only. I decided to not include the Z 5100 and Z 6100, and rather the Z 5300 as graphically they are almost the same, and the so little differences between them would be recognized only in 32bpp, not in 8bpp. It all depends on my disponibility, and if there are random artists wanting to draw a few things, they are really welcome ;)

Leanden : Difference is, there are multiple people drawing and coding the BRSet. Here, i'm alone, i only draw sprites and yet don't know how to code.

Yet, the Z5600 is finished and ready for coding, the MS61 is next.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Leanden wrote:You literally can include all of them in one set.
But what would be the use of that in a game? You'd end up having multiple models with inevitably similar characteristics. I think a good set should provide a nice array of vehicles that satisfies all needs (some quick engines, some powerful ones, some cheap ones, and a few niche vehicles such as mountain engines), without being too dispersive. If it provides each and every vehicle that has ever been produced in a certain country (and how about prototypes?), there's the risk of overwhelming the player. Not to mention the set, which would grow unnecessarily big.

I can see it myself with a relatively small set such as the French NG. A few steamers have very similar characteristics, and I often find myself struggling to find the use of certain engines in a game. It's all about balance...

Going back to my tracking table for the French set, I did include the Z5100, Z5600 and Z8100 (MI79). Not sure if I'll end up drawing them, though (especially the latter, which -I think- was exclusively used on RER lines).
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Well, can we consider this set as an addon to the french standard gauge set ?
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

acs121 wrote:Well, can we consider this set as an addon to the french standard gauge set ?
Sure. The SG French Set is still years away anyway :p
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

No, no, not years away. Maybe 1 year away, but it won't take more than 6 months to finish the NG one :)
A lot of sprites were done for the french SG set, but the set was never coded.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Well, yes, hopefully the NG set will be released in about 6 months.
As for the standard gauge, I'm afraid it will take longer than a year (at least the one I'm building). The only part that's done are the steamers and the early electrics. There's still a lot of stuff to do, so don't hold your breath ;)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Actually, most of the great NewGRFs, like the 2cc Bus / Tram set took a year or more, though i'm not sure for the 2cc Bus Set.
It should take less than 2 years :D
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

In all fairness i was planning to do an FRTrains set in a similar style to BRTrains.

If you guys would be happy to supply graphics for that, i already have a substantial code infrastructure to build the set.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I don't mind if you use my Z 5600 sprites. Still occupied with the Z 5300 and trying to make it look correct...

Return to “Graphics Development”