North American Passenger Railroads Set - v.0.15 [27 Feb. 2024]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: North American Passenger Railroads Set dev. thread [v.1.13 - 17 Apr. 2020]

Post by Tony Pixel »

kamnet wrote: 08 May 2020 17:26
Man, I'm torn... can you code this as a configurable option and let the user change it from a default if they wish?
Well, If first opinion wins, I will make all locomotives compatible with each push-pull car (I really don't wanna do it, because it will take minimum a week :D), then I can do a parameter for enabling only compatible engines, but I think most people will not use such exotic combinations to add larger compatibility.
Image Image
Sprite artist and NewGRF developer, coding in NML. My projects:
NewGRFs: Not Enough Subways Set | North American Passenger Railroads | Elevated Subway Bridge | Tony Pixel's Subway Equipment Set (frozen)
Screenshots: New York City Subway Episodes
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

1. Were there instances where companies mixed their locomotives and cars?
2. Are you intending this to be a historic and accurate representation of companies, or are you more open to imaginative gameplay?
creeperspider
Engineer
Engineer

Post by creeperspider »

kamnet Mostly historic reasons back in 1970 when amtrak was introduced the was an so called "Rainbow Era" when amtrak bought old passenger equipment and locomtives from other railroads in america
Last edited by creeperspider on 12 May 2020 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

Amtrak's "Rainbow Era" is pretty interesting period, would like to do some liveries from there :).
Image Image
NewGRFs: Not Enough Subways Set | North American Passenger Railroads | Elevated Subway Bridge | Tony Pixel's Subway Equipment Set (frozen)
creeperspider
Engineer
Engineer

Post by creeperspider »

Yes! i would love to do some liveries! when can i start? do i need the sprite sheet?
creeperspider
Engineer
Engineer

Post by creeperspider »

Tony Pixel wrote: 15 May 2020 06:45
Amtrak's "Rainbow Era" is pretty interesting period, would like to do some liveries from there :).
Yes! i would love to do some liveries! when can i start? do i need the sprite sheet?
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

I've been working on new 10/8 coaches to match this set's generic scale (~1.5 px per m), and here's progress:
unknown (1).png
unknown (1).png (9.26 KiB) Viewed 6803 times
There are dome, dome-observation and observation cars left, then I will code it and maybe push an update, because there is a mess of new stuff I done since last update :D
Image Image
F/A18
Engineer
Engineer

Post by F/A18 »

Nice :)
But on the topic of length, does that mean that the coaches would get longer? Because I loved the fact that your set has a coach length very similar to original TTD, and it would pain me to lose that, especially if the "silver" look on this new stuff appears to be matching sets like the US Set, which I am using together with yours...
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

F/A18 wrote: 18 Jun 2020 17:28 Nice :)
But on the topic of length, does that mean that the coaches would get longer? Because I loved the fact that your set has a coach length very similar to original TTD, and it would pain me to lose that, especially if the "silver" look on this new stuff appears to be matching sets like the US Set, which I am using together with yours...
Well, yes. most coaches are going to be longer, so there will be more diversity in types and realism. If You want, I can do an GRF that adds normal length' coaches, so you will not loose them. Also, some locos will also be oversized.
Image Image
F/A18
Engineer
Engineer

Post by F/A18 »

Tony Pixel wrote: 19 Jun 2020 07:33
F/A18 wrote: 18 Jun 2020 17:28 Nice :)
Well, yes. most coaches are going to be longer, so there will be more diversity in types and realism. If You want, I can do an GRF that adds normal length' coaches, so you will not loose them. Also, some locos will also be oversized.
If you would be willing to make the original length of coaches into an optional GRF, that would be awesome :) But if it's too much hustle for those results for one player's kinks, I would fully understand that you might leave that be, or that you might make that much, much later...
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Hello,

It seems accidental, but the RTG Turboliner becomes available in 9999... :wink:
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Being able to use any engine with push pull trains makes some sense. Since in real life, rolling stock gets traded or leased or takes time to be repainted after being bought, some odd combinations happen in the real world too. Burlington Northern E units used around Chicago got sold to MARC, in Maryland, and ran in their old colors for a while. Seeing a BN unit at the head of a suburban train in Maryland was an odd sight. Metra (Chicago again) sold their old Pullman Standard cars to some newer agencies, Virgina Rail Express, UTE in Utah, and Music City Star in Nashville. They later bought back cars from UTE and VRE, for a while in all three areas you could see what were very obviously Chicago coaches. Now Metra is getting into heritage paint schemes with their new locos too.

I do like being able to mix and match paint schemes too. The PRR had ACL cars on some of their trains, the Santa Fe and New York Central had run through agreements too. I like recreating these things.
Without Trains America Stops

Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

Version 0.14 released :D
It's actually 5th anniversary to this project, so I worked hard for some of new features, which are:
- a TON of graphic improvements, a lot more ahead;
- some new coach fixes, budd lightweight is now absolutely remastered set of cars;
- Budd Metroliner updated;
- Comet V cab car added;
- Budd M1/A and M3/A added;
- added Budd Metroliner Cab car, compatible with F40PH and GE P32AC-DM;
- many more minor things I could've forgotten.
Have fun and report bugs (Ik that Multilevel shouldn't be leading the list, it'll be fixed next time 8) ), also sheet is updated, you still can suggest stuff you wanna see in next updates.
Almost forgot to say it's incompatible with old versions, if you're brave enough I would recommend you to send all the trains in the depot before updating the version
Image Image
Bvilches07
Engineer
Engineer

Re: North American Passenger Railroads Set dev. thread [v.0.14 - 14 Oct. 2021]

Post by Bvilches07 »

:D everything looks great and all but there are a few errors and glitches the Alstom V says it can be in the Metro north scheme but i cant seem to refit it with a new scheme. and one more thing too. do you plan on some point retexturing all the locomotives?
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

Bvilches07 wrote: 03 Nov 2021 07:24 :D everything looks great and all but there are a few errors and glitches the Alstom V says it can be in the Metro north scheme but i cant seem to refit it with a new scheme. and one more thing too. do you plan on some point retexturing all the locomotives?
Comet was planned to have it but there was a bit of faults, so I left the MN scheme until the next release, obviously forgetting to change the description. And yes, I do repaint many of old locos right now.
Image Image
domi5599
Engineer
Engineer

Post by domi5599 »

Hi,

at first this set is really impressive but I have one question.

In the google sheet I see the ppr lightweight set but I don't see it in the game?
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

domi5599 wrote: 09 Jan 2022 14:28 Hi,

In the google sheet I see the ppr lightweight set but I don't see it in the game?
At first, thanks,
At second, PRR lightweight wasn't ingame ever. It'd been drawn already, but it wasn't implemented, and then I've decided to remake all lightweights, so it wasn't coded after either.
I've been little busy as I'm curretly studying, and it was semester finals, so I hadn't any possibility to lay my hands to the project. I't's holidays, so I will return to coding ASAP, thank you for your attention :)
Image Image
Oshawotta737
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Oshawotta737 »

Tony Pixel wrote: 19 Jan 2022 10:21
domi5599 wrote: 09 Jan 2022 14:28 Hi,

At first, thanks,
At second, PRR lightweight wasn't ingame ever. It'd been drawn already, but it wasn't implemented, and then I've decided to remake all lightweights, so it wasn't coded after either.
I've been little busy as I'm curretly studying, and it was semester finals, so I hadn't any possibility to lay my hands to the project. I't's holidays, so I will return to coding ASAP, thank you for your attention :)
Hi! Are there still plans to continue working on this set? I think it's amazing and was wondering if I could expect any future updates.
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

Oshawotta737 wrote: 28 May 2023 02:58 Hi! Are there still plans to continue working on this set? I think it's amazing and was wondering if I could expect any future updates.
Hello, thanks for checking in!
I'm still working on it, but I hadn't had much time last year since war happened and I'm also studying in the university. I plan to finish and release some big things (like couple of new lightweight sets and remastered old ones, many new liveries and fully-functional, extended push-pull support) the moment summer hits, so stay tuned! It's at most two weeks before I'm finished with the uni, so I will try to speed work up and finally push an update.
Image Image

Return to “Graphics Development”