[OTTD] Belgian Train Set ~ Development thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Nondidjos
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] Belgian Train Set ~ Development thread

Post by Nondidjos »

hey! been a while.

I've been working on some new sprites for the set, stay tuned for more.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2018-11-18 22-42-13.png
Screenshot from 2018-11-18 22-42-13.png (7.86 KiB) Viewed 4299 times
I sprite sometimes, currently working on the BTS (Belgian Train Set) and a World War GRF (kinda).

Discord; 'nondidjos#8585
Nondidjos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nondidjos »

Here's the more or less finished AM 97 postal (the naming scheme varies a lot, not sure its actually named this way)

next it's desiro time then I'll re-use the groundwork I've made with the postal train to make the passenger version of it, both in dark red and the new gray livery
Attachments
Screenshot from 2018-11-20 21-25-33.png
Screenshot from 2018-11-20 21-25-33.png (15.76 KiB) Viewed 4184 times
Last edited by Nondidjos on 22 Nov 2018 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
I sprite sometimes, currently working on the BTS (Belgian Train Set) and a World War GRF (kinda).

Discord; 'nondidjos#8585
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Interesting!
Nice that you are working again on this set!

I did a quick Google search to see how the train looked in reallife, as I can see that you are having some trouble with fitting in the "90" in some views.
Apparently the "90"was only used for the first train in this livery, all others dont have the "90" and just have POST (Dutch) on one side and POSTE (French) on the other, with the stripes.
I think leaving out the "90" leaves you more room for POST and POSTE, especially in the diagonal views.

Also, but I am not very knowledgable regarding Belgian trains so I could be wrong, I think the type is APT AM54.

See this link for more info (in Dutch, but with loads of pictures), scroll down to the bottom for the AM54:
https://www.cooltrain.be/index.php/grot ... tel-apt-54

Hope this helps ;-)

EDIT:
Also the stripes should always be to the left of the P, no matter at what side you look at (looking at your drawings I believe you would sometimes get some combinations where the stripes are to the right of the "90" )

EDIT2:
Something that strikes me a bit odd is the number of windows on a side, they seem to change when the train changes view, so for one piece, on a horizontal view there are 3 windows visible and then on a diagonal view only 2 (same with other piece, horizontal 2 windows, diagonal 1 window).
I never have drawn trains, so I dont know if this is a thing that is done more often (as you have a little less room in the diagonal views to get in details), but I think this change in number of windows is kind of noticable ;-)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Nondidjos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nondidjos »

Quast65 wrote:Interesting!
Nice that you are working again on this set!

I did a quick Google search to see how the train looked in reallife, as I can see that you are having some trouble with fitting in the "90" in some views.
Apparently the "90"was only used for the first train in this livery, all others dont have the "90" and just have POST (Dutch) on one side and POSTE (French) on the other, with the stripes.
I think leaving out the "90" leaves you more room for POST and POSTE, especially in the diagonal views.

Also, but I am not very knowledgable regarding Belgian trains so I could be wrong, I think the type is APT AM54.

See this link for more info (in Dutch, but with loads of pictures), scroll down to the bottom for the AM54:
https://www.cooltrain.be/index.php/grot ... tel-apt-54

Hope this helps ;-)

EDIT:
Also the stripes should always be to the left of the P, no matter at what side you look at (looking at your drawings I believe you would sometimes get some combinations where the stripes are to the right of the "90" )

EDIT2:
Something that strikes me a bit odd is the number of windows on a side, they seem to change when the train changes view, so for one piece, on a horizontal view there are 3 windows visible and then on a diagonal view only 2 (same with other piece, horizontal 2 windows, diagonal 1 window).
I never have drawn trains, so I dont know if this is a thing that is done more often (as you have a little less room in the diagonal views to get in details), but I think this change in number of windows is kind of noticable ;-)
thanks a lot for all the advice! :bow:
I knew some of it but it kind of flew over my head and I didn't look for a solution enough before calling it a day.

I'll try to do all the different liveries possibly but yea, removing the 90 to add in a E seems like a good and quick fix.
I was also oh so wrong on that name, but i think it picked up multiple ones (possibly with each livery?) and they also have a different set of letters than AM in dutch so I'm also going to get a dutchie working on that :P

thanks again for all the feedback, its very much appreciated.

cheers!

Discord; 'nondidjos#8585
Gameinsky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gameinsky »

Hey, I started using this set but there's some weird things with the I11
The description states to use them in combination with the MU wagons, but this doesn't work unless there's a locomotive in front of it, while irl the locomotive can also be in the back. (Should maybe also specify that usually HLE locomotives are used for this)
Nondidjos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nondidjos »

Gameinsky wrote:Hey, I started using this set but there's some weird things with the I11
The description states to use them in combination with the MU wagons, but this doesn't work unless there's a locomotive in front of it, while irl the locomotive can also be in the back. (Should maybe also specify that usually HLE locomotives are used for this)
hey,
yea it would seem as if it only fits normal wagons atm, I'll tell neko about it and ask him if he can do anything about it, the easiest fix would be to add the I11 as a normal coach as i originally planned it to be but we'll see :p as for it being unable to be up front i dont quite get where the issue resides for you,
thank you for testing out the set though, and the feedback especially :D

Discord; 'nondidjos#8585
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I tried to make the I11 coach as an unpowered MU train but I dont think the game knows how to deal with that so maybe I'll try changing some stuff up to make it work. Perhaps I just need to make it more like a really low powered MU train for the game to allow attaching MU wagons as it should. The alternative is that maybe I could add the I11 DVT as a low powered locomotive that you can have at the head of a train for looks and could be flippable to place on the rear.

I would go for a more traditional route where the last wagon will always look like a driving van but I dunno how to do that stuff either. I'm kind of limited in my abilities to code at the moment.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Gameinsky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gameinsky »

Ah yeah, I see. I was orginally very confused at the behaviour before realising that this wasn't a powered MU train. I did start thinking this was probably due to limitations. Maybe it should simply have a specific wagon rather than use the MU 'filler' so people can't put a powered MU to it.
Also yeah, liking the set despite it not offering a huge variety of trains, feels nice to dispatch the trusty AM96's that I saw so much in my childhood
SirLudicrous
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SirLudicrous »

Hey there, im a huge fan of this Set but I also have trouble using the I11 coaches :/

Are you still working on a fix?
I would totally agree with one of the previous comments to just turn them into regular coaches :D

PS: I also wanted to ask if the M6 Double Decker coaches will also come to this pack :D
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Not sure if this set is being actively maintained, but I believe it is the best place to donate some graphics ;-)

I have made NMBS-MS75:
Preview01.png
Preview01.png (492.04 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
Preview02.png
Preview02.png (60.27 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
It is based on (a very very very heavily modified version of) the ED72 from the Polish PKP Trainset, made by Tadeusz Domagalski (GPLv2 licensed).
And I used parts (more specific the nose shapes) and the color-scheme of the NMBS-HLE11, made by Voyager One (GPLv2 licensed).
The code I used to get it in my game, was from the Polish PKP Trainset (GPLv2 licensed).
So thats the credits sorted :twisted:

Here is a .rar with the graphics and (a part of) the code.
MS75.rar
(557.47 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
The code is probably not of great use to you, but it has the graphicsinformation (size, offsets, etc), that may be usefull :]

And here is a link to moving pictures of the actual train:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLPAwQsDJgs

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Been gone for a while, and your making trains now?
Nice work on this one!
All my projects are GPLv2 License.

Dutch landmark Object Set Workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75071
My stations workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74749
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Silverx50 wrote: 06 Dec 2021 10:55 Been gone for a while, and your making trains now?
Nice work on this one!
Hahaha! ;-)
Thanks, nice to see you around!

Well, it's been on my wishlist for a long long time, as it is the stoptrain from Belgium that goes to Roosendaal Station in The Netherlands and for me that station is not complete without that train making an appearance there once in a while :mrgreen:
And one thing is very simple, of no-one else draws it, then draw it yourself! :twisted:

Return to “Graphics Development”