[OTTD] BRTracks - Development Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [OTTD] BRTracks - Development Thread

Post by TheAmir259 »

It's a very nice track. And i wonder, are there gonna be any station set for this?
You can also find me at Reddit. Check out my OpenTTD Screenshots & Savefiles!
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

BRStations will be a seperate GRF once i can persuade Quast to teach me Station NFO ;)
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

v0.0.2 released.

Feature: 4 Track Types available. New Graphics
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

v0.0.4 released.

Fix: Tracks realigned to join up correctly. No more derailments on bends.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

v0.0.6 released

Fix: Dual Voltage Trains and 3rd Rail/OHLE trains will now correctly work on all relevant tracktypes.
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

The 3rd rail track is somewhat not good enough for me. If you're going for real life counterparts, then i won't mind of you not doing this, but in the game different things can happen.

I do notice that the 3rd rail track has a max speed of 160km/h, and that is not gonna be good for me (at least). You see, i do use diesel trains and 3rd rail trains on the same track, and i would love to just stick with simplicity. So the problem here is that my HSTs can't perform 200km/h on the track due to the speed limit. Previously with the Finescale Standard Gauge GRF, things works just fine, trains that needs the 3rd rail will be limited to 160km/h. And if you think about it, there are no 3rd rail trains that goes above 160km/h save the Javelin and some others i don't happen to know or remember. However, in real life, these 3rd rail tracks don't usually have a speed limit higher than 160 (amirite?).
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

TheAmir259 wrote:And if you think about it, there are no 3rd rail trains that goes above 160km/h save the Javelin and some others i don't happen to know or remember.
Whilst the Javelins and Eurostars can do 225km/h and 300km/h respectively, due to current collection reasons (I believe that's correct) they are restricted to 160km/h on 3rd Rail. I imagine if there wasn't such an issue things like 444s and 377s would be cleared for 110mph (roughly 178km/h) on 3rd Rail... Also, I'd hate to see a shoegear hit one of those ramps at that sorta speed, it would probably snap off!
TheAmir259 wrote:these 3rd rail tracks don't usually have a speed limit higher than 160 (amirite?).
Correct.
TheAmir259 wrote:So the problem here is that my HSTs can't perform 200km/h on the track due to the speed limit.
I'm interested in what reason you have for running HSTs on 3rd Rail Track to be honest :lol:
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

I did goof here
Last edited by Gwyd on 23 Sep 2017 17:06, edited 2 times in total.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Once i set the parameter up fully, you willbe able ti disable the speed limits.
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Pilot wrote:I'm interested in what reason you have for running HSTs on 3rd Rail Track to be honest :lol:
Oh don't mind me, i'm just toying around my layout, having fun with speeds. HSTs as express trains cuz they're faster, stopping only at important stations. Then i'll use a 3rd rail train with 160 max speed for semi-express, stopping at semi important stations and finally another 3rd rail train with 120/140 max speed for local stops. Yep, you can already imagine it, HSTs needs to always stop, but i do have loop tracks on some unimportant stations.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

A more environmentally friendly option for a 160kph train could be the class 442 "Wessex Express". A good 120/140kph train would be a class 455.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

TheAmir259 wrote:The 3rd rail track is somewhat not good enough for me.
Worry no longer. v0.0.7 has arrived with a working speed limits parameter! Remember to choose before you start your game!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I'd like to suggest having a date parameter as well because it might be nice to use a British Style track set with other UK train sets or the like, but may have different speeds and locomotives coming out that may be too fast for the currently available railtype.

This is partially why I added a date parameter to my North american track set so that people can tailor the introduction dates so that when something comes out thats faster then the previous railtype can handle, then it'll introduce the next railtype (I have NATS by default balanced against NARS 2.5/NARS addon Set 2cc)

It might be a little weird because sometimes I railtype may come out with a high speed limit before its possible but then again, its also weird for locomotives and trains to come out that run faster then the current track types allow and thus you run into the issue of a train constantly trying to accelerate.

Eg. Say is 1970 and the fastest railtype is 125 mph, but then say some new age 160 mph train comes out, it'll be utterly useless until the next track type comes out if its coded to come out at a much later date. This happened with a few engines in 2cc Trains and NARS 2.5 where NuTracks wasn't keeping up with the dates/speeds of new faster and faster locomotive
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

v0.0.9 released:

Feature: Added 2 High Speed Rails
Fix: Corrected Dates and Speeds

Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

v0.0.9.1 released

Fix: Reduced speed of Dual Voltage Track.
Fix: Updated Toolbar text to display correctly
Fix: Sorted Track Types into Logical Order
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

I updated my tracks in-game, and it turns out the high speed tracks replaced my 3rd rail tracks whilst the very high speed tracks replaced my dual-voltage tracks, of which both types contributes to about 90% of my railway. But luckily i got millions in the bank to revert them back. Also, the 4th rail track naming seems to be inaccurate, it showed the 3rd rail ones instead, and that the dual-voltage tracks are now limited to 160km/h, which wasn't the case in the previous update. I believe that one is unintentional and was done by mistake is it?

Attachments
Naming Error BRTracks.png
Naming Error BRTracks.png (339.22 KiB) Viewed 634 times
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Obviously changing grfs ingame is never supported for bugs ;)

The speed reduction on dual voltage was intentional as in real life areas where both are used is very limited and where there is the max speed is 100mph as per standard 3rd rail :)

On a side note however i also updated midgame and didnt see this. I would guess you have another railtype set installed and therefore the railids are not consistent between the updates as the game engine changes these to compensate for multiple tracksets ;)
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Also, will you be putting in TVM Block Markers for the very high speed tracks? And ERTMS Signals or Block Markers for the high speed tracks too?

I think the change of tracktypes are due to the sorting of the tracktypes into logical order. The 3rd rail used to be on the slot where the high speed tracks are currently sitting whilst the dual voltage used to be on the slot where the very high speed ones are. Nothing can be done to avoid it i guess, just prepare yourself then.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

As i say, it didnt happen in my save game, so i suspect its caused by the way openttd handles multiple tracksets in relation to the sort order update.

As for the in cab signalling markers they will indeed be included, in fact work is underway for a full set of new signals :)

Return to “Graphics Development”