Future OpenTTD Transportation Types

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Future OpenTTD Transportation Types

Post by kamnet »

I have no idea if anybody will ever be interested in any of these things, but I felt like starting a repository for some future transportation types that could be showing up.

Rail Technology
Hybrid Quadcopter Monorail
String Transport Technology / Sky Way
Tubular Rail
Last edited by kamnet on 20 Jun 2017 00:56, edited 4 times in total.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGj_fhnoHYI

From Dahir Semenov, we see here a massive quadcoptor utilizing a monorail beam and trailing pole for guidance and power. This massive unit looks to be able to carry over 1600 passengers seated comfortably in luxurious cruiseline style.
Last edited by kamnet on 20 Jun 2017 00:10, edited 2 times in total.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Future Rail Vehicles?

Post by Erato »

I would love to see some more rail vehicles for after 2020. Please do!
(Says the guy who makes "futuristic" trains)

EDIT: So I see you just made a post with a train that would probably be rather impractical given the sheer size of the train and the usual size limitations of OpenTTD. If you could get it to work, it'd be nice, but this seems more planey... :(
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

String Transport Technology (marketed as Sky Way) is the invention of Belorussian engineer Anatoly Yunitsky. The system is a pair of thin rails with steel rod core, wrapped in concrete, and clad in steel, which can be ran as a suspended or conventional elevated railway with a profile similar to elevated monorail.

High speed transport is capable of transporting 500 passengers or 100 tons of cargo at up to 500 km/h over long distances. Urban transport would move 100 passengers or 10 tons of cargo in smaller unibus or unitruck vehicles at up to 150 km/h. Cargo transport would move containers, liquids and bulk goods in specialized cars or flat beds at up to 120 km/h. Smaller networks using 1-4 passenger and light cargo pods could also be built, but less suited for OpenTTD's purposes. There's even a possibility of building a seaport out into a body of water where the rail docks can meet cargo ships without needing the traditional land-based infrastructure.
kamnet

Re: Future Rail Vehicles?

Post by kamnet »

Erato wrote:I would love to see some more rail vehicles for after 2020. Please do!
(Says the guy who makes "futuristic" trains)

EDIT: So I see you just made a post with a train that would probably be rather impractical given the sheer size of the train and the usual size limitations of OpenTTD. If you could get it to work, it'd be nice, but this seems more planey... :(
Not every aspect of every system is going to be practical given OpenTTD's current standards. But there's certainly room for inspiration and artistic license.
kamnet

Re: Future OpenTTD Transportation Types

Post by kamnet »

Tubular Rail

Robert C. Pulliam's Tubular Rail kinda turns the elevated rail system on its head. Rather than having the rails affixed to a series of columns that a vehicle rides upon, the vehicles themselves are long, rigid and without wheels. The wheels, so to speak, are built into a giant concrete ring that sits on the columns, and the vehicles are long enough to straddle between two stanchions, remaining supported. Imagine if a train could jump through a hoop, that's what it looks like. The Tubular Rail system is envisioned for long-range transport, moving 400-500 passengers at 160 km/h.

Return to “Graphics Development”