[CZTR / 32bpp ] - Czech total replacement

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zley_Muffle
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [CZTR / 32bpp ] - Czech total replacement

Post by Zley_Muffle »

Hi there!

Regarding the running costs of freight cars - I have already slashed running costs by 1/3, it will be implemented in next release. Also other prices will be slightly different (maintenance costs of tracks mainly)

I am rather curious about your coal production levels, your train has capacity of 832 tonnes, thats quite high. Perhaps if you split the train into two or more shorter trains, it will serve you better, since electric locos have very low running costs compared to diesel & steam and ur paying for the tracks anyway.

I will wrap up some basic info about how to play the set, because people tend to play it like vanilla OTTD and thats not working all the time 8)
Zley_Muffle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zley_Muffle »

Basic info and how to play CZTR

Hello everyone!

To make our set more accessible and understandable for everyone I have decided to write about some features we have already implemented into the game, the reasoning behind and few tips. Take a note that the release is something like "early-alpha-prerelease", so many things may be subjected to change in a future.

It is vital to have "realistic" acceleration model enabled. The set was also primarily tested with x3 weight multiplier on freight trains, but I guess x2 for starters is good enough :twisted: We also encourage players to use our set with FIRS, which it is compatible with. Until of course we will create and release our own industry set 8)

Changed economics

Almost everything is much more expensive! Oh my god! :lol:

Well, we did not want our set to be flat and so we put more weight on money. If you expect to build first track and immediately make wads of cash from that, you are probably wrong. People tend to play the set like original, while we want to somewhat portrait the real world. But do not be sad, there are many mechanics that we hope you enjoy and improve your gameplay :wink:

Landscaping abuse - landscaping is waaay more expensive than it was. Why? In reality unless there is no other way, the landscaping is avoided by all means. Because its expensive. So its better to plan the railway carefully, especially in the beginnings. Railroad pioneers also copied terrain, following rivers and heightlines. As your company grows, you will be able to afford some changes, but they will still cost you. So don't bulldoze your way through terrain, plan better, build bridges, tunnels and such.

Overbuild - it is nice that you can fathom future of your railway and build some lines double tracked from the start, but... Well, that is not how it works. In reality you have sidings or the pass is going place in the station where there more tracks. Why is that? Of course - it is expensive to build and maintain two tracks along the whole route. So we encourage people to think about the capacity of their railway to plan better. To help you, we have provided many railtypes with different speeds and used materials:

Track Speed - always a factor, faster tracks cost more cash to build and to run
Wooden ties - cheaper to build, costlier to maintain
Concrete ties - more expensive, lesser maintenance cost
Electrification - always a factor, do not build electrified lines when you run them with diesel trains, point of electrification is to save money on locos running cost, so don't waste this on the maintenance of tracks.

Engine abuse - well, its nice to hear the sound of 750 or 363 leaving station and gaining speed, but do you really need these powerful engines to haul those few cars? These engines can take on 20-car freight train on a steep grade. So its better to use cheaper locos for shorter trains or routes, you will save money otherwise spent on purchase and maintenance of more powerful loco. Take also note of difference between maintenance cost of steam/diesel/electric locos.

Car abuse - these double headed trains pulling 30 cars sure look mighty, but unless its from well planned feeder station or some crazy mine, it seldom brings you more money than two trains with single loco. Why is that? Waiting for cargo means that cargo already loaded starts to lose value. Ideal state is that arriving train has to wait no more than 6-10 days for its intended load.

So few tips for the starters:

Always check what carriages are available for your intended transport line and their parameters
Plan your line carefully, avoid landscaping and overbuilding as much as possible
Don't be afraid to start with slower tracks (for example 60km/h is very cost effective for many types of freight)
Choose the right locos for your train (as of now Class 726 or Class 210 are my faws especially for shorter routes)
Do not build more cars for the train than you need, sometimes its better to have 2 shorter trains (with weaker = cheaper locos)
If available, use specialized cars, they always provide some kind of bonus - faster loading speed, better preservation of cargo and such
Check your maintenance costs on regular basis

We will try to keep you all posted about important changes, so you can enjoy our set to its full potential :wink:
TadeuszD
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by TadeuszD »

Zley_Muffle wrote:Landscaping abuse...
Overbuild...
Engine abuse, etc.
You are idealist, dreamers... :lol:
Every smart enough player can demolish your idea using BaseCostMod set.

Modern user friendly sets allows you to change most important coefficients via NewGRF parameters. Of course, you can suggest default values according to you idea.
Zley_Muffle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zley_Muffle »

We are pretty much aware of that :lol: Of course anyone can use BaseCostMod (I am using it too to make game harder) or otherwise tweak the financial aspect of the game by turning it off in settings, in fact we are counting on it for players who will encounter difficulties at first to have at least a chance :roll:

But its the same like playing Doom with IDDQD and IDKFA, you will be missing the thrilling part of the game - the challenge 8)
TadeuszD
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by TadeuszD »

Good comparison. Released in 1993, DOOM contains built-in set of difficulty levels (form "I'm too young to die" to "Nightmare") and special "magic" codes. Your set has nothing. So, it is less functional than 25-year-old game.
Zley_Muffle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zley_Muffle »

Where is your point? ?( The game itself has options, where you can set basic levels of how much what should cost (FYI its in Settings - Accounting), there is BaseCostsMod anyone can use... So why should we implement it again into the GRF?

I cannot see where is THE problem

If you do not like our GRF or OpenTTD (well, also based on 25-year old game), we will not force you to play it... 8)
TadeuszD
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by TadeuszD »

Zley_Muffle wrote:Where is your point?
As I said before: typical modern sets allow you to change many factors via NewGRF parameter, including cost multipliers, availability of rolling stock, its lifetime, etc. Using BaseCostMod is only workaround, caused by lacking of these option in your set.
The fact, you are using BaseCostMod too, proves that such options will be usefull.
Zley_Muffle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zley_Muffle »

Well, yes - in fact we are already using it in many ways and it will be changeable via parameters in the future. :twisted:
Take a note that the release is something like "early-alpha-prerelease"
The sole purpose of this release is testing (graphics, game mechanics, economy), so we involved community, its far from finished.
stefino_cz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by stefino_cz »

Some more passengers wagons 8)
pass.jpg
(783.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Carbon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Carbon »

CZ: Úžasná práce hoši :bow: Plánujete udělat i jednotku 471 (CityElefant) někdy v budoucnu? :D
---
EN: Great job guys :bow: Are you planning to do EMU 471 (CityElefant) sometime in the future? :D
Zley_Muffle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zley_Muffle »

Thanks 8)

We already have 451 (3, 4, 5 car variant) and 470 so... Of course we do :D

Classes 460 (5 car variant), 471, 560, 640, 660, 671 and 680 are planned for our set :)

Oh, and this beauty too ;)

Because we did not forget about works and accomplishments of František Křižík, who was pioneer of electrification in our country :shock: 8)
stefino_cz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by stefino_cz »

Steam engines part 1 :)
1.JPG
(331.84 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2.JPG
(289.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
S-Transport
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by S-Transport »

Very nice!
Greetings, S-Transport
My pictures
Carbon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Carbon »

You should make 814 and Btax wagon too :D Dat 810 feels lonely :(
SyberSycho
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SyberSycho »

Is there going be a baseset version of everything that I would be able to use in online multiplayer games?
Zley_Muffle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zley_Muffle »

You should make 814 and Btax wagon too :D Dat 810 feels lonely :(
It is coming, hopefully in next release with the bunch of others :)
Is there going be a baseset version of everything that I would be able to use in online multiplayer games?
I am not sure what you mean by "baseset", we had to split all into separate GRFs because of sheer size of the files, sharing 1 GB of data everytime somebody changed something sucked greatly :( Right now we are coming to the point of splitting pass/mail and freight cars into two separate sets as the single file nears 200 MB in size :lol:
SyberSycho
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SyberSycho »

Zley_Muffle wrote:I am not sure what you mean by "baseset", we had to split all into separate GRFs because of sheer size of the files, sharing 1 GB of data everytime somebody changed something sucked greatly :( Right now we are coming to the point of splitting pass/mail and freight cars into two separate sets as the single file nears 200 MB in size :lol:
I guess I mean more in the sense of a static safe grf. In the openttd.cfg file you can make grf's static allowing you to use them online even if a server has 0 grfs. I believe the requirement for them to be used like this is that they can't add extra functionality that would change the game. Just visual stuff basically.
Zley_Muffle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zley_Muffle »

Oh, I see.

To be honest - no, we planned the set to be a bundle which completely changes the game - not only the graphics. Perhaps with enough people there will be CZTR servers in the future :)
SyberSycho
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SyberSycho »

Oh, okay.

I would really appreciate it if you made a version that would be able to be used that way. I wouldn't expect it to have near the same amount of variety in graphics for things like passenger cars. I love the graphics so far and would love to be able to use them in any game.
stefino_cz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by stefino_cz »

And what about planes? :) First test of game mechanics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64n3ea916Eo

Return to “Graphics Development”