[OTTD] NARS Add-on Set 2CC (version -r2222) NOW WITH EMU'S!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] NARS Add-on Set 2CC (version -r2203)

Post by NekoMaster »

Emperor Jake wrote:Here's a 2cc version of the MP70, thought you might want this seeng as the set is still lacking in early EMUs :)
Yes taht would be nice, and i just keep forgetting to get around to the MU's, but then again only a handful ever operated in the USA that I know of, most of them where EMU's in the North East region of the USA.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

NekoMaster wrote:
Emperor Jake wrote:Here's a 2cc version of the MP70, thought you might want this seeng as the set is still lacking in early EMUs :)
Yes taht would be nice, and i just keep forgetting to get around to the MU's, but then again only a handful ever operated in the USA that I know of, most of them where EMU's in the North East region of the USA.
The SPV-2000 was used very few times, although you included it in the set. But all (or actually, most) MP70s operated on LIRR.
sim-al2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sim-al2 »

Notch8GEGaming wrote:You also gave the U36C and U30C the same tractive effort as well.
They'll have about the same tractive effort though, because (given the same production year) they share the same traction motors and almost always weighed roughly the same. This is also true of the EMD SD38/39/40/45 family and others.

Caveat: This mainly applies for the same gear ratio, for different gear ratios the difference between maximum T.E. and continuous T.E. becomes important.
Notch8GEGaming
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Notch8GEGaming »

sim-al2 wrote:
Notch8GEGaming wrote:You also gave the U36C and U30C the same tractive effort as well.
They'll have about the same tractive effort though, because (given the same production year) they share the same traction motors and almost always weighed roughly the same. This is also true of the EMD SD38/39/40/45 family and others.

Caveat: This mainly applies for the same gear ratio, for different gear ratios the difference between maximum T.E. and continuous T.E. becomes important.
Very true, however in this mod and the NARS mod they short it big time. They only gave it 80,300+ tractive effort when it actually is 91,500 to 92,500 for all of them.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Notch8GEGaming wrote:
sim-al2 wrote:

Very true, however in this mod and the NARS mod they short it big time. They only gave it 80,300+ tractive effort when it actually is 91,500 to 92,500 for all of them.
What are you talking about? If I made a mistake with one of the engines let me know. If your going to argue about starting and continueous TE though I just go with what seems to be the norm and using Continuous Tractive Effort (some locomotives have very high starting TE which would make them very cheaty as they would accelerate instantly)
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Cecil Cityscape
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cecil Cityscape »

Just a quick thing I noticed. Later in the game, approaching the 2050s (getting bad even by the 2030s), reliability on most of your engines starts to take a dive. That may be something that could be fixed to maintain usability of the set for future play.
Cecil Cityscape is the name of an avatar in Chris Sawyer's Locomotion
Cheers from the Dominion of Canada! :lol: 8)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Cecil Cityscape wrote:Just a quick thing I noticed. Later in the game, approaching the 2050s (getting bad even by the 2030s), reliability on most of your engines starts to take a dive. That may be something that could be fixed to maintain usability of the set for future play.
I dont think theres much I can do about that, its part of the games code that all vehicles as they get old have worsening reliability. I could probably fix that by setting their moddle life really high but I'm drinking this weekend so... drunk
Lionic
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Lionic »

NekoMaster, thank you very much for creating and maintaining this set! The only question I have--does it makes sense to suggest changing to running costs of some engines?
TurbomanAlco
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TurbomanAlco »

I really enjoy using this set but I wanted there to be variable running costs so it would better compete with NARS. I went ahead and grabbed the NML code and made a little Java program to batch automate adding the extra lines of code which implements variable running cost for each vehicle. It's hard coded to drop the running cost of an engine to 25% when it's stopped. Since it could be useful for converting other projects I'll attach the program I made along with the source code. You just put the program and its bat file in the directory of all your pnml vehicle files and run it. The updated files are then put into a new CONVERTED folder. Fair warning though: I specifically wrote this program for the pnml vehicle files present in this set which follow a predictable structure. It looks for the "// ITEM CODE" comment block and adds a few lines of code right after it, so if that isn't present the program wont work for you. Just look out for any errors in the command prompt. All that matters to me is that it did what I wanted it to do, but if anyone is interested I guess I could change it to be less strict.
Attachments
Add_Var_Run_Cost.rar
(4.43 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

TurbomanAlco wrote:I really enjoy using this set but I wanted there to be variable running costs so it would better compete with NARS. I went ahead and grabbed the NML code and made a little Java program to batch automate adding the extra lines of code which implements variable running cost for each vehicle. It's hard coded to drop the running cost of an engine to 25% when it's stopped. Since it could be useful for converting other projects I'll attach the program I made along with the source code. You just put the program and its bat file in the directory of all your pnml vehicle files and run it. The updated files are then put into a new CONVERTED folder. Fair warning though: I specifically wrote this program for the pnml vehicle files present in this set which follow a predictable structure. It looks for the "// ITEM CODE" comment block and adds a few lines of code right after it, so if that isn't present the program wont work for you. Just look out for any errors in the command prompt. All that matters to me is that it did what I wanted it to do, but if anyone is interested I guess I could change it to be less strict.
Thanks but I already figured out how to include Variable running costs while making a modified version of OpenGFX Trains to add more 32bpp trains (even if they're not realistic).

Because I have so many vehicles in NARS Add-on Set 2cc, I'm just not in the mood or motivated to go and add variable running costs to possibly over 150 locomotives.
SantaFe675
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SantaFe675 »

You have been looking at 32 bpp trains? I've wondered about those for a long time. Think there will ever be a 32 bpp north american set?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

SantaFe675 wrote:You have been looking at 32 bpp trains? I've wondered about those for a long time. Think there will ever be a 32 bpp north american set?
Probably not, I dont know how to 3d model things and I probably dont have the computer to do it. Besides, 32bpp takes too long for what its worth.

So yeah sorry, no 32bbp. NARS doesnt even have a 32bpp version so why would my addon be 32bit?
SantaFe675
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SantaFe675 »

NekoMaster wrote:
SantaFe675 wrote:You have been looking at 32 bpp trains? I've wondered about those for a long time. Think there will ever be a 32 bpp north american set?
Probably not, I dont know how to 3d model things and I probably dont have the computer to do it. Besides, 32bpp takes too long for what its worth.

So yeah sorry, no 32bbp. NARS doesnt even have a 32bpp version so why would my addon be 32bit?
You make a fair point, I didn't really think before I typed there.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] NARS Add-on Set 2CC (version -r2216) NOW WITH EMU'S!

Post by NekoMaster »

2018-11-14 UPDATE

Sorry for the inactivity for months on end, just haven't really been in the mood to do any GRF stuff until recently (Having worked on my North American Track Set, created the North American Industry Set NAIS, and the USA 4K scenario)

I hope eveyrone enjoys this update, I'm aware there might be some bugs still, if anyone wants to remind me of them, just let me know or private message me.

With this version I finally got around to adding some MU trains so I hope you guys enjoy that, oh and theres also a nice ugly duckling of a cab-unit locomotive added too... a cab-unit trying to look and act like a hood unit before EMD brought of their GeeP's and SD units.
Lionic
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [OTTD] NARS Add-on Set 2CC (version -r2218) NOW WITH EMU'S!

Post by Lionic »

It's great to have EMU's now. And my current NARS game is about to end, so I could start a new one.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Lionic wrote:It's great to have EMU's now. And my current NARS game is about to end, so I could start a new one.
Good to hear that, I hope that having a couple EMU's and having fixed up the DMU's (for some reason the JetTrain was over riding the Workspoor RAM TEE).

I hope to have more in the future, its just a matter of getting around to putting the graphics together.
Lionic
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Lionic »

NekoMaster, could you please make EMD SD70ACe not expiring? SD70 MAC from original NARS remains in purchase list until 2050, but it's upgrade is not.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Lionic wrote:NekoMaster, could you please make EMD SD70ACe not expiring? SD70 MAC from original NARS remains in purchase list until 2050, but it's upgrade is not.
Sorry, I didn't think to increase the model life of modern locomotives because I play with "Vehicles Never Expire" because it never made sense that you couldn't buy locomotives after a certain date, because IRL anyone with enough money could get a company (a 3rd party or their own) to build locomotives, or buy 2nd hand locomotives from other railroads or what ever.

Either way, I'll try to remember to change that next time I update the set which should be soon.
m26pershing
Engineer
Engineer

Post by m26pershing »

NekoMaster wrote: With this version I finally got around to adding some MU trains so I hope you guys enjoy that
They are handy and serve a very useful role.

Only complaint is that the speeds of the "Kawasaki M8 Railcar" and "Bombardier M7 Railcar" are lower than the much older "Budd M2 Cosmopolitan" when they should all be 100 mph.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

m26pershing wrote:
NekoMaster wrote: With this version I finally got around to adding some MU trains so I hope you guys enjoy that
They are handy and serve a very useful role.

Only complaint is that the speeds of the "Kawasaki M8 Railcar" and "Bombardier M7 Railcar" are lower than the much older "Budd M2 Cosmopolitan" when they should all be 100 mph.
They're commuter/metro trains, the BBD M7 Railcar is 3rd rail only and 100 mph or 163 km/h is a bit too fast for 3rd rail, while the M8 Railcar is dual power (so it can run on 3rd rail or overhead lines).

Nothing I can do about their speeds as thats their real max speeds.

Return to “Graphics Development”