[NRT] RattRoads - 1.2.1 released 05-20-23!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Re: [NRT] RattRoads - 1.0.2 released 05-17-20!

Post by Andrew350 »

wallyweb wrote: 22 May 2020 11:41 Are you not able to use an Action7/9 to skip the offending speed limit in favour of a lower limit while below a certain date?
No, the problem is that it's one roadtype using the graphics of two different roadtypes to create the illusion of different roadtypes in different town zones (sett pavement in the city center and dirt roads on the outskirts). It's a bit of a hack to create some variety at game start, before towns have a chance to naturally build out different roads. There is no issue with the dates, just that the speed of these "rural" town road graphics is slightly higher than the equivalent one that the player can build.

I could always make that the other way round of course, so the town roads have the lower of the two speeds. Or I could make dirt and sett roads have the same speed limit, although then there's not much point in ever upgrading to the more expensive option, so not sure about that idea. Really the problem boils down to there currently not being any way to visually distinguish these "old town roads" from the "normal" ones, so it creates confusion about speeds being different despite looking identical. I guess I need to alter the graphics slightly so the player knows which roads are the "old" ones and which ones have been upgraded by the players. :)
Ogre
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [NRT] RattRoads - 1.0.1 released 05-15-20!

Post by Ogre »

Andrew350 wrote: 17 May 2020 19:09 Hmm, that sounds like a speed limit issue then ;) All of my roads are compatible to each other, so the the only thing that changes are the speeds. What set(s) are you playing with? I used the base vehicles as a rough guide of when to introduce new roadtypes based on their speed, but obviously NewGRFs can differ wildly from that. Perhaps I can test with different NewGRFs and try to balance things a little differently.
At the moment I am using eGRVTS 2.0 limited to their horsedrawn cars and Road Hog. The speedlimits for your roads would be set to "harder" as I think I prefer the highway being rather limited as well.
Andrew350 wrote: 17 May 2020 19:09 True, but that should only be a problem if you start after 1970. Towns in games prior to that will use the older style roads in their centers, and only build the newer ones on the edges as they expand outward over time. That seems fairly realistic to me, but depends on your playstyle I guess. I usually start early (pre-1900) and disallow towns from building their own roads, so the issue may not be as obvious to me :)
Oh, this is something I wasn't aware of. I usually start early 1800s and I didn't notice any road construction with newer roads during the testing. So... this means any town would stick to, e.g. the sett road in their centers forever?
Andrew350 wrote: 17 May 2020 19:09 Okay, the first one is definitely my bad, I forgot to reinsert some code when fixing the first bug :lol: I'll fix that soon.
The second one, however, is more interesting. That looks like you found a bug in OpenTTD, so good job there. I'll send in a bug report and let them know :) And thanks for testing this stuff, it helps a lot :)
EDIT: Both are done now, issue posted to GitHub and bugfix release can be found in the usual places. Hope it works this time :)
My pleasure... and thank you for your update - I will test it the next days
Andrew350 wrote: 22 May 2020 13:56 ... Really the problem boils down to there currently not being any way to visually distinguish these "old town roads" from the "normal" ones, so it creates confusion about speeds being different despite looking identical. I guess I need to alter the graphics slightly so the player knows which roads are the "old" ones and which ones have been upgraded by the players. :)
Speed limits should not be identical, as no one will then upgrade :wink: How about replacing the dirt roads built by the towns at start with something that looks more like crushed stone? EDIT: It seems to be called "macadam".
The pessimist sees the darkness in the tunnel.
The optimist sees the light at the end of the tunnel.
The realist sees the light coming closer...
The engineer sees three fools in front of his train on the track in the tunnel.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [NRT] RattRoads - 1.0.1 released 05-15-20!

Post by wallyweb »

Ogre wrote: 24 May 2020 16:20Speed limits should not be identical, as no one will then upgrade :wink: How about replacing the dirt roads built by the towns at start with something that looks more like crushed stone? EDIT: It seems to be called "macadam".
Actually almost all roads are macadam where the center of the road is a touch higher than the edge so that water will run off to the sides. You might be thinking of chipseal which is crushed stone infused with tar and then compacted with a roller. Note that chipseal should not be confused with asphalt which is much more durable.

Roads in the town zones are easily identified, even if they have the same surface. Zone 4, the inner most zone has street lights. Zone 3 has trees. Zones 2 and 1 and that part of Zone 0 (the outer most zone) that lies within the town zone limits all have sidewalks. Anything without sidewalks lies outside the town limits even though it is classified as Zone 0.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Ogre wrote: 24 May 2020 16:20 The speedlimits for your roads would be set to "harder" as I think I prefer the highway being rather limited as well.
I also prefer "harder", and after a quick test with egrvts2 it seems like the speed limits match up okay in the early game (<1900). The early roads can't really get much slower, so I'll have to look further to see if any balancing needs to happen :)
Ogre wrote: 24 May 2020 16:20 So... this means any town would stick to, e.g. the sett road in their centers forever?
They should, yes. The only exceptions are if you upgrade the roads yourself or if you use the "fund local road construction" option, which results in an ugly mash of old and new roadtypes :) Currently though, you won't see any new roadtypes appear until 1920, so if you haven't left the 1800's yet you won't have noticed anything different :)
Ogre wrote: 24 May 2020 16:20 How about replacing the dirt roads built by the towns at start with something that looks more like crushed stone? EDIT: It seems to be called "macadam".
I can look into some different options, yes :)
wallyweb wrote: 24 May 2020 19:54 Roads in the town zones are easily identified, even if they have the same surface.
Yes, but the issue is that they are indistinguishable from the player-built roads which have a slightly different speed limit; the town zone doesn't matter in this case. I can tell you haven't tried RattRoads yet :P
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Andrew350 wrote: 24 May 2020 20:12Yes, but the issue is that they are indistinguishable from the player-built roads which have a slightly different speed limit; the town zone doesn't matter in this case. I can tell you haven't tried RattRoads yet :P
Actually I have, but only for experimenting. I wasn't paying attention to speeds.
Here's a question for you ... Apparently if the setting allows a town to build houses along a road, then the town will build the fastest road. Does your player built road allow the town to build houses along that road? I'd test it myself, but I'm knee deep into another project.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

wallyweb wrote: 24 May 2020 22:03 Apparently if the setting allows a town to build houses along a road, then the town will build the fastest road. Does your player built road allow the town to build houses along that road?
Yes, assuming that behavior hasn't been disabled :)

Interestingly, if your fastest roadtype is set to disallow houses, but also allow towns to build it, that will cause map generation to fail, even if other roads are available. Towns only pick the fastest road to build even if it can't build houses. Obviously it's just stupid to do such a thing, but it's amusing nonetheless :)
NastyArthur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NastyArthur »

Hey guuyys! I'm new in this game but I'm a big fan of cityskilines and soviet resources. And I would know what to do to get the roads work. I got Version 10 play on phone downloaded from game and I can't see those roads :/
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

NastyArthur wrote: 17 Jul 2020 18:35 Hey guuyys! I'm new in this game but I'm a big fan of cityskilines and soviet resources. And I would know what to do to get the roads work. I got Version 10 play on phone downloaded from game and I can't see those roads :/
Click and hold on the road icon in the menu. It will display a sub-menu for the roads. Same thing for trains, trams, and other menu buttons.
isaacrdc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by isaacrdc »

NastyArthur wrote: 17 Jul 2020 18:35 Hey guuyys! I'm new in this game but I'm a big fan of cityskilines and soviet resources. And I would know what to do to get the roads work. I got Version 10 play on phone downloaded from game and I can't see those roads :/
It looks like you're playing in Android. The issue is reported on pelya's Github issue tracker, but you can do this steps for your problem.

1. Open the "Game Options"
2. Click the "Button Size"
3. Select lower values(35 or lower) than the default size of the button until another Road Construction button appears.

Well in smaller screens it's difficult to play and the Tram construction button does not appear too.
Fromerly known as Alon
NastyArthur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NastyArthur »

Alon wrote: 18 Jul 2020 04:37
It looks like you're playing in Android. The issue is reported on pelya's Github issue tracker, but you can do this steps for your problem.

1. Open the "Game Options"
2. Click the "Button Size"
3. Select lower values(35 or lower) than the default size of the button until another Road Construction button appears.

Well in smaller screens it's difficult to play and the Tram construction button does not appear too.
Yes I play on android xiaomi note 4 . Give me some advice where I could find this button size step by step cuz I can't find it :/ and to first reply for guy n top isn't work.... I even can't get menu roads. I can click all tram trains ships menu but when I add this mod I can't go to road menu is directly quit in 0000,1sec
isaacrdc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by isaacrdc »

8)
NastyArthur wrote: 18 Jul 2020 11:01 Yes I play on android xiaomi note 4 . Give me some advice where I could find this button size step by step cuz I can't find it :/ and to first reply for guy n top isn't work....
You did not clearly stated that youre using the unofficial Android port, so don't blame him for not understanding your problem.
NastyArthur wrote: 18 Jul 2020 11:01
I even can't get menu roads. I can click all tram trains ships menu but when I add this mod I can't go to road menu is directly quit in 0000,1sec
Just do these steps
1. Click settings
2. Select Game options
3. Click Button size and select 35

Or just click the attached image for easier instruction.
Attachments
IMG_20200719_135903_026.jpg
(239.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Fromerly known as Alon
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Found a problem .. not sure if it your road and tram set or it just me :roll: .

When I select say "Electrified Modern Asphalt Road" it lays the road and overhead wires at same time .. but does not lay any tram track. When I add the depot, only road vehicles are available.

When I try "Electrified Basic Asphalt Road" nothing is available in the depot no purchase. No RVs and no trams.

The basic Tram Tracks .. if uses default depot and nothing is available to purchase.

Wondering is these were designed to work with a special tram set?
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
GarryG wrote: 31 Jul 2020 03:12 When I select say "Electrified Modern Asphalt Road" it lays the road and overhead wires at same time .. but does not lay any tram track. When I add the depot, only road vehicles are available.

The basic Tram Tracks .. if uses default depot and nothing is available to purchase.

Wondering is these were designed to work with a special tram set?
These are not tram wires but for trolleys. You need a special vehicle set with trolley busses and lorrys.

Tschö, Auge
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Auge wrote: 31 Jul 2020 06:41 These are not tram wires but for trolleys. You need a special vehicle set with trolley busses and lorrys.
Thanks pal, thought that might have been the case .. next question what sets have these trolleys?
Soot Happens
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
GarryG wrote: 31 Jul 2020 07:17 next question what sets have these trolleys?
The North Korean Road Set contains a few trolley busses (beginning around 1960). During the development phase of NRT there was a further set that included more generic trolley busses and trolley lorries but I don nut remember its name.

Tschö, Auge
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Trollybi ..viewtopic.php?t=75963 and Addis Trollybus set come to mind .viewtopic.php?t=50174
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Thanks for that info .. I wondering if it was a fault with RattRoads so I removed it from my roads for now. Looks like I can put it back in or just use RattRoads with my road sets.

Cheers
Soot Happens
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

piratescooby wrote: 31 Jul 2020 09:48 Trollybi ..viewtopic.php?t=75963 and Addis Trollybus set come to mind .viewtopic.php?t=50174
Addi's Trolleybus set was made long before NRT and it just replaces trams
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Emperor Jake wrote: 02 Aug 2020 15:13
piratescooby wrote: 31 Jul 2020 09:48 Trollybi ..viewtopic.php?t=75963 and Addis Trollybus set come to mind .viewtopic.php?t=50174
Addi's Trolleybus set was made long before NRT and it just replaces trams
I'm kinda surprised nobody's decoded it and hacked it for NRT support yet. ;)

But, maybe we don't need to if we can get some people on-board to draw for 2CC Trolleybuses.
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

Would it be possible to add an option to disallow houses and sidewalks along dirt roads? I use them mainly for forestry/mining and houses don't really fit there.

Return to “Graphics Development”