[NRT] RattRoads - 1.2.1 released 05-20-23!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Pascal Lambert
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [NRT] RATT Roads

Post by Pascal Lambert »

wallyweb wrote:. A player must build two or more two lane roads in parallel while using the one-way feature to control direction.
IRL you often build 2 parallel roads too for multi-lane roads...
OpenTTD has an acceptable simulation for this.
Pascal Lambert
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pascal Lambert »

acs121 wrote: Maybe "Voie express" would be right ? :D
Voies Express have a speed limit to 110 km/h in France.
Pascal Lambert
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pascal Lambert »

Lesarthois wrote: The thing is that French high way system is almost entirely toll based, so usually in French, "autoroute" is a toll road.
Some (not many) Autoroutes are free. Around Paris, A89 (Caen-Rennes), most of A75, A20, A25, A35...
Lesarthois wrote: Personnally (I'm French) I would go with "Autoroute" for roads that goes up to 130 km/h, and "4 voies" (4 lanes) as usually most 4 lanes roads (in reality, 2*2 lanes separated by something) are limited to 110 km/h and are free.
That way you have your difference between high ways and "road with high capacity and higher speed than countryside road but not as fast as highways" :D
And I think most Frenchmen know the "4 voies" so the translation shouldn't be confusing.
"4 voies" is for "2x2 voies" so dual carriageway that you do not build in OpenTTD... except if you double with parallel roads. Such a naming will be confusing.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

1. Andrew's roads are based upon American roads.
2. Due to their similarities, one could include Canadian roads.
3. Canadian roads include roads in the Province of Québec.
4. The Province of Québec recognizes french as it's official language.
5. Office québécois de la langue française has provided us with a most amazing tool: Le grand dictionnaire terminologique.
6. Searching on the English word "freeway" takes us to this page where we are provided with both an English and a French definition and Spanish too! (Mexico anybody?). 8)
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

wallyweb wrote:1. Andrew's roads are based upon American roads.
5. Office québécois de la langue française has provided us with a most amazing tool: Le grand dictionnaire terminologique.
6. Searching on the English word "freeway" takes us to this page where we are provided with both an English and a French definition and Spanish too! (Mexico anybody?). 8)
Based on the times I've driven there, I would recommend any Quebec road set should have no speed limit, despite any signage ;)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

oftcrash wrote:
Based on the times I've driven there, I would recommend any Quebec road set should have no speed limit, despite any signage ;)
Ontario is getting pretty close too, if the road says 40, you drive 50, if it says 50, you drive 60, if your on a road that says 80, you drive 100 km/h, if your on a highway that says 100 km/h you drive 120-150 km/h
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I somewhat agree with this though, being French too i did see a few Québec highways, but they are toll-free, so they are freeways somewhat. In Germany however, a few roads have no speed limit (100% no joke) and are called highways.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Hmm, this whole freeway/highway translation issue got me thinking, would it be any more clear if I just renamed it to "limited-access highway"? Is that more clear across languages when translated?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I just think its silly to be argueing what to call a Highway in an American Road Set in french, when Quebec uses the word Highway or Autoroute anyways. I imagine most of the people that would use this set in french would be people from Quebec.

I think to keep things simple it should be Highway for English and Autoroute in French. ALso while I know Google translate isn't good for translating sentances, even they agree that Autoroute is Highway.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Andrew350 wrote:Hmm, this whole freeway/highway translation issue got me thinking, would it be any more clear if I just renamed it to "limited-access highway"? Is that more clear across languages when translated?
Here's a thought ...
Why not simply name them with each one's maximum speed: RATT 30; RATT 50; RATT 55; RATT 65; ... etc.?
A parameter could be set to choose the metric equivalents.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

NekoMaster wrote:I just think its silly to be argueing what to call a Highway in an American Road Set in french, when Quebec uses the word Highway or Autoroute anyways. I imagine most of the people that would use this set in french would be people from Quebec.

I think to keep things simple it should be Highway for English and Autoroute in French. ALso while I know Google translate isn't good for translating sentances, even they agree that Autoroute is Highway.
Quebec actually has French as an official language. Au Québec, on dit autoroute, point barre.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

acs121 wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:I just think its silly to be argueing what to call a Highway in an American Road Set in french, when Quebec uses the word Highway or Autoroute anyways. I imagine most of the people that would use this set in french would be people from Quebec.

Quebec actually has French as an official language. Au Québec, on dit autoroute, point barre.
You dont think I know that? Whos the one that lives next door to Quebec? Hmm? They teach most Canadians in school all about Quebec, even us Ontarians around Toronto.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

All about Quebec, yes, because it's part of Canada, it's just like me if i didn't know anything about Les Grisons in Switzerland (FYI i'm born in Switzerland and have a residence in Lausanne). But do they even learn the official language of Quebec ?
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

einsteinyh wrote:also would be great having a pre-1920 stone paved road in towns apart from dirt rural roads
I second this - sett (quarried stone road) should be a default road type, instead of basic asphalt. The latter one can have similar parameters but would be much cheaper.

Nice idea with Freeway. Road vehicle sets creators should consider disabling usage of Freeway for slow vehicles (tractors, horses etc).
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Re: [NRT] RATT Roads - 0.2.0 released 5-27-18!

Post by Andrew350 »

Hello everyone!

Today I present you with RATT Roads 0.2.0! This update brings several new features which I think will be welcome to anyone following this set :)
ratt_roads_new2.png
ratt_roads_new2.png (118.03 KiB) Viewed 4571 times
To kick things off I've finally added the familiar and popular dirt road type to the set, but with a new set of sprites drawn from scratch. Hopefully you'll like the new look!

You may also notice that asphault road there has white stripes painted on it! Yes, more than 5 years after the release of ARRS and easily the most requested feature I've ever had, RATT Roads has finally taken the leap of providing a European/UK style alternative road surface, selectable via parameter. This may make a few people happy, I know many have asked for it but still after all this time no one has taken the initiative to make it happen. So I caved and did it anyway :)

Another thing that might be of interest are the other parameters I've included. One allows you to switch between default speed limits, slower ones, or you can turn them off completely. This setting also adjusts costs accordingly. The other parameter allows you to turn off introduction dates so that all roadtypes are available in any year, in case you fancy some horse-drawn carriage highways in 1700 or something :)

Oh, and on that note, I've changed Freeways to just be called Highways now, since there's obviously potential for confusion about what that means when crossing borders, so hopefully this change makes things a little simpler. Of course the new update means the much-debated french translation is no longer complete (though it is included), so if Pascal Lambert or anyone else would like to update it (or any other translations) I can post a quick release to fix that.

NewGRF and sources can be found in the first post of this topic as usual, and make sure you have the latest version of RATT. Enjoy :)
ufiby
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ufiby »

Good!!! I would like to divide into two graphs OpenGRF and Original TTD
I always play with the original graphics
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Any chance that you could add my Smartroads to this set?

Attachments
roads1.png
Smartroads, glowing auto-drive roads of the future!
(31.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

I'm not really planning on adding any futuristic road types to this set, so I don't think it will find a home here. But it certainly could be coded using the same framework as this set if you're interested in doing a RoadTypes NewGRF, although it may need a few additional sprites to be complete in NRT.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Andrew350 wrote:I'm not really planning on adding any futuristic road types to this set, so I don't think it will find a home here. But it certainly could be coded using the same framework as this set if you're interested in doing a RoadTypes NewGRF, although it may need a few additional sprites to be complete in NRT.
Is it possible to make Smartroads faster for Smartroad-specific vehicles than for other vehicles?
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

I honestly don't know.

I don't think the tools are in place to make that happen with a RoadType NewGRF, but you could theoretically give vehicles a speed boost for driving on certain roadtypes by using the current_roadtype variable within a vehicle grf. Of course I'm only guessing based on current documentation since I've never tried this, and features may also change :)

Return to “Graphics Development”