Country Roads (NRT)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Country Roads (NRT)

Post by Kruemelchen »

Lesarthois wrote:One little question (totally unrelated to the GRF, just for my personnal culture) : what is a sand road? :p
It looks like a regular dirt road to me when I look on Internet?
Well I'm sorry that might just be a sign of my bad English :oops:
I'll change it to dirt road then, in future releases, thank you! :D

And, if there is any other string, you think is poor English, I'd be nice if you'd throw me a hint :)
Lesarthois
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lesarthois »

Oh, well it might have a meaning. But it seems that "sand road" might be innappropriate in Arctic and Temperate climates :D
Lesarthois
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lesarthois »

So I was playing and I came across that bug :
Jones & Co., 22 Mar 1886.png
(508.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I dunno if it's Country Road or the whole NotRoadType that is in cause.

If you don't catch it, I installed an electric tram line, and the catenaries doesn't appears where the sand road is.
(BTW I'm a bit annoyed that HAUL vehicles doesn't drive on normal roads... It's why I laid down the tram line, it looked less silly that having two roads side-by side)
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Lesarthois wrote:So I was playing and I came across that bug :
Jones & Co., 22 Mar 1886.png
I dunno if it's Country Road or the whole NotRoadType that is in cause.

If you don't catch it, I installed an electric tram line, and the catenaries doesn't appears where the sand road is.
(BTW I'm a bit annoyed that HAUL vehicles doesn't drive on normal roads... It's why I laid down the tram line, it looked less silly that having two roads side-by side)
Thank you for the bug report! :))

It is actually the sand road that is killing your electric tram's catenary :wink:
You can re-enable the catenary by disabling the "snow marks" via parameter.

But I'll look further into it, thanks :)

PS: At time of coding, it wasn't possible to A) forbid tramways on road types; and B) to define custom road side decorations, so I used fake catenary graphics for my snow mark poles-feature. I doubt this has changed until now, but when it's possible to do that, I plan to incorporate A) and B) accordingly.
Lesarthois
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lesarthois »

So I kept playing with the set, and I found out that even if I allow normal vehicles on Heavy haul road, the option only applies to Mud road, the Heavy Haul Road is still restricted to heavy-haul flagged vehicles.
Which I think, if that's a deliberate choice, should be the opposite - it would make sense that light vehicles would not go on muddy roads, but could go on a paved road.
I noticed slight tecture issues on road bridges, but I use a bridge replacement set so the issue might be on their side, as you see grey lines appearing - they would be invisible with grey road textures.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Thank you for your report :)
Lesarthois wrote:So I kept playing with the set, and I found out that even if I allow normal vehicles on Heavy haul road, the option only applies to Mud road, the Heavy Haul Road is still restricted to heavy-haul flagged vehicles.
Which I think, if that's a deliberate choice, should be the opposite - it would make sense that light vehicles would not go on muddy roads, but could go on a paved road.
Actually, the "Heavy Haul Road" isn't a part of this NewGRF, so touching it was out of scope when I created it.
I can, however, understand that it feels inconsistent in the way you describe it.

Maybe I can write a small NewGRF that allows normal vehicles on the heavy haul road over christmas holidays :wink:
I noticed slight tecture issues on road bridges, but I use a bridge replacement set so the issue might be on their side, as you see grey lines appearing - they would be invisible with grey road textures.
Can you post any pictures, or tell me which bridge replacement you are using?

My set uses a wooden surface texture for bridges (which inevitably only looks good on wooden bridges imho) that I adjusted to match with the standard (OpenGFX) bridges. However, it fits with the "Total Bridge Renewal Set" as well.
I can only assume, that the bridge replacement you are using, draws a broader bridge surface that only was made to support standard tarmac/paved roads?
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

New version out now!

Thanks to the great efforts of the NRT devs it's now possible to use the snow mark feature in combination with electric tramways on sand roads without glitches :wink: (read: you're awesome :mrgreen: )

Country Roads 0.2.3
  • new 'feature': houses won't be build along mud roads, unless normal RVs are allowed to drive on them via parameter*
  • bugfix: better alignment of snow marks in order to allow tramways to traverse sand roads without graphical glitches
  • bugfix: city roads not convertible to mud roads anymore, unless they allow for normal RVs usage
  • change: new standard speed limit of 30 km/h on sand roads
  • bugfix: now snow graphics used on dead-end roadstops (updated)
* You need the newest instalment of NRT/RATT to run this version!
Attachments
countryroads.grf
version 0.2.3 (updated)
(300.01 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
CountryRoads_023_Source.7z
version 0.2.3 (updated)
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 179 times
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

At the moment I'm trying to get the look more in line with opengfx, as well as make it overall cleaner and less bulky.

This is how it looks right now:
finer snow marks with CC
finer snow marks with CC
Carnway Transport, 16. Jan 1958.png (48.73 KiB) Viewed 6958 times
fake snow roadside decoration
fake snow roadside decoration
Carnway Transport, 23. Dez 1958.png (13.07 KiB) Viewed 6958 times
Oh gosh, were did I my those snow chains! 8o

The finer drawn snow marks now use company color and might be much more useful as I made the road appear even lighter :twisted:
The heaps of snow are just decoration and might be switch-able via parameter. There will be different snow amount, based on town zones, though.

Cheers
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Looks much better with CC snow marks.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Kruemelchen wrote:At the moment I'm trying to get the look more in line with opengfx, as well as make it overall cleaner and less bulky.

This is how it looks right now:
Carnway Transport, 16. Jan 1958.png
Carnway Transport, 23. Dez 1958.png
Oh gosh, were did I my those snow chains! 8o

The finer drawn snow marks now use company color and might be much more useful as I made the road appear even lighter :twisted:
The heaps of snow are just decoration and might be switch-able via parameter. There will be different snow amount, based on town zones, though.

Cheers

Looking great! different amounts of snow on roads by town zone is a good idea - I may borrow that for Unspooled!
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

supermop wrote: Looking great! different amounts of snow on roads by town zone is a good idea - I may borrow that for Unspooled!
Btw, I always thought, Unspooled is in need of some winterly flair on snow :wink:
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Kruemelchen wrote:
supermop wrote: Looking great! different amounts of snow on roads by town zone is a good idea - I may borrow that for Unspooled!
Btw, I always thought, Unspooled is in need of some winterly flair on snow :wink:
Someone is out there plowing all those dirt and gravel roads all winter...
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

As mentioned in the other thread I made this afternoon a proof-of-concept implementation of a water way road type:
canals.png
canals.png (45.58 KiB) Viewed 6606 times
As you can see the water way looks basically like a canal, but has different decorations in different town zones:
1) riverside
2) canal
3) promenade (with white fence)

Special eyecandy are the rounded edges, which took most time to draw. The rest (except the fence) is taken from OGFX :)

Now nothing is holding us back from creating a Venice themed gondola service :lol:

I'm not sure, however, if the water way fits this GRF well. So maybe I'll split it into a separate GRF before I can release the next minor release of country roads (hopefully soon-ish)

Why I made this was because I wanted to have fords like in the bottom of the screen. However, I'll probably make these as objects when I've learned how to code them. Or I convince GarryG to add one to his awesome objects set :mrgreen:
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

That is quite impressive! Very nice job 8)
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

The heaps of snow
Would you mind posting those graphics separately (I hope you have them as a separate layer) when you finish them?
I think those look very nice and could be very usefull for other purposes (like heap of snow on an empty platform)!
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Supercheese wrote:That is quite impressive! Very nice job 8)
Thank you :D

Today I drew yet another fence, that even comes with (randomly placed) flowers:
flower fences.png
flower fences.png (36.75 KiB) Viewed 6547 times
Quast65 wrote:Would you mind posting those graphics separately (I hope you have them as a separate layer) when you finish them?
I think those look very nice and could be very usefull for other purposes (like heap of snow on an empty platform)!
I very planned to do this, I'm sorry I haven't come to it yet. The big heaps of snow are finished, only the small ones have fled from my attention (I think the spring did that :P )

But here you go for the first part. You may use and modify it any way you like :)
heaps of snow road decoration (use as overlay), license: GPLv2
heaps of snow road decoration (use as overlay), license: GPLv2
road_deco_snow.png (4.75 KiB) Viewed 6547 times
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Thank you very much! :bow:
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Lesarthois
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lesarthois »

Lovely! That would be nice on a high water level map. Or to make "scenic" places, or well, jsut for eyecandy.
A nice touch would be to have anphibious vehicles.. I think, there are those "Ducks" vehicles in the USA?

Well in the UK too, apparently :D
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

I'll make a few of those buses, probably as addition to my SUV set. Right now, there is only 1 off road car present in the set, but I'll add more on the way.

Meanwhile I think I'll draw a small set of boats to use with the canals. First, a gondola (unpainted though):
gondola.png
gondola.png (21.02 KiB) Viewed 6427 times
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I dunno if it's possible to have "transition tiles" between roadtypes...it looks quite ugly connected to other roads.

Return to “Graphics Development”