AuzObjects

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: AuzObjects

Post by GarryG »

KeldorKatarn wrote:Any suggestions? I can simply load both versions, will that prevent anything from being available?
Maybe leave the new versions out of your game for now till you finish it.

Another idea .. is there anything special in new sets that not in old sets you like to use? It shouldn't take much for me to add it to the old version and put it here so you can use.

Cheers
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Frankly I don't even know what versions I was using at this point. I think I was using one outdated thing for some of them and a totally different version for some other stuff. I tried loading the new ones with the old and it seems to work fine and just add the missing stuff.

As for what we'll use... well the locomotive sheds/depots are nice, the new roads like the tar road and wide gravel roads are also neat... the stuff that can float in the water, like the logs...

But as I said.. is there any reason to not load the new ones on top of the old ones? I would use only the new but as I said, some stuff just can't be built with the new version anymore, like the diagonal roads or junctions without neighboring road tile.
If that stuff was still possible I'd simply replace the old with the new version and rebuild stuff.

But like this it seems using both is the only choice. The amount of NewGRFs loaded is not an issue.

As for "until you finish it"... this is a coop stream series I do with someone on YouTUbe.. it'll be MONTHS before we finish, if not years.
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by KeldorKatarn »

It's kinda just the roads that are a major issue with the new versions. YOu had some very neat road tiles in the old ones.
The tiles that link with the regular ingame roads, you know those straight ones that fan out a but near the end. Also the diagonal versions.

Any reason you removed that stuff and went for autolay-only? THe autolay is great, but sometimes I want to hand-place a junction or a diagonal road. That's no longer in there and feels a bit like a downgrade.

I think I could rebuild everything with the new versions except for the roads :/
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Just to illustrate. This is the stuff I'm missing in the new versions, besides being able to build road junctions wherever I want:
Missing Stuff.jpg
(1.87 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Looking a bit at your LandAndWaterObjects; it'd be good for certain objects if you provided GROUNDSPRITE_WATER, so that no matter what baseset you use, the water sprite is always accurate, instead of manually drawing water (except for surf or whatever other "special" stuff you need on the tile). Right now you'll have a bit of clash if you don't use OpenGFX+ as base.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

KeldorKatarn wrote:Just to illustrate. This is the stuff I'm missing in the new versions, besides being able to build road junctions wherever I want:
Hi KeldorKatarn .. sorry not answer your messages before .. I seen them but at that time had no time to answer and than I forgot about them.

The new roads should have there own crossroads etc to join like this pic.
Roads-1.png
Roads-1.png (128.3 KiB) Viewed 3707 times
And to join main roads just need to make a small intersection.
Pyoro wrote:Looking a bit at your LandAndWaterObjects; it'd be good for certain objects if you provided GROUNDSPRITE_WATER, so that no matter what baseset you use, the water sprite is always accurate, instead of manually drawing water (except for surf or whatever other "special" stuff you need on the tile). Right now you'll have a bit of clash if you don't use OpenGFX+ as base
Shall see what I can do about that .. my knowledge of coding isn't very good .. most of my work the codes I use are from other peoples object sets .. but I learning a wee bit.

Cheers to you all.
Soot Happens
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

GarryG wrote:Shall see what I can do about that .. my knowledge of coding isn't very good .. most of my work the codes I use are from other peoples object sets .. but I learning a wee bit.
I'm not doing anything different so I wouldn't suggest anything that I thought would be fiendishly complex ;) And honestly I don't know all the details either, but:

Basically, if for example you look at water_tiles.png and the objects you coded with that, then your object code looks like this:

Code: Select all

spritelayout spritelayout_water_tiles_1 {
    ground {
      // normal ground sprite - always draw
      sprite: LOAD_TEMP(0) + LOAD_TEMP(1);
   }

building {
        sprite: spriteset_water_tiles(0);
        hide_sprite: nearby_tile_height(0, 0) >= snowline_height;
        xoffset: 0; //from NE edge
        yoffset: 0; //from NW edge
        zoffset: 0;
        xextent: 16;
        yextent: 16;
        zextent: 16;
    }
"Ground" is ... the groundtile the game draws (like grass or snow or desert). "Building" is the object you put on it.

But you've drawn for example the sailing ship with water, so you don't see anything from the groundtile anyway. However, if you removed that self-drawn water and replaced it with transparency (usual blue background), you'd see the groundtile.

After doing that, you have two ways to get water as a groundtile:

As it is now, you load that switch with its temporary variables that calculate the groundsprite it draws - usually you want that for sloped objects and to make the ground snow-aware. That object doesn't have slopes and snow-awareness is done with your ..._SNOW building, so you can just replace "LOAD_TEMP(0) + LOAD_TEMP(1)" with "GROUNDSPRITE_WATER" (the other pre-defined possible choices are here btw: https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NML:Spritelayout ).

When doing that, no matter where you build the object, it'll draw water under the object (as provided by the baseset so it always fits the rest of the graphics).

Alternatively you can do it like your reef objects, and add OBJ_FLAG_DRAW_WATER to the object flags. Then it draws water when the object is build on water but otherwise loads the normal groundsprite (so you could build ships on land if you wanted - or forbid building on land by also adding OBJ_FLAG_NOT_ON_LAND).

It's no big deal and largely water blends anyway; not really something that's massively noticeable. Just thought I'd mention it ;) (also, for your _PURCHASE sprites, you can do the same and replace GROUNDSPRITE_NORMAL with GROUNDSPRITE_WATER; for example for your ships or oyster floats)

ps: the default values for x-, y-, zoffset and x, y, z-extend are 0, 0, 0 and 16, 16, 16 respectively, so if your object uses these values if you feel like it you can remove the lines from the building { } block. Doesn't hurt anything having them, but if you think your .nml file is getting too long or something you can get rid of those lines ;)
Last edited by Pyoro on 30 Apr 2018 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Pyoro wrote:Looking a bit at your LandAndWaterObjects; it'd be good for certain objects if you provided GROUNDSPRITE_WATER, so that no matter what baseset you use, the water sprite is always accurate, instead of manually drawing water (except for surf or whatever other "special" stuff you need on the tile). Right now you'll have a bit of clash if you don't use OpenGFX+ as base
Done .. changed the water objects as you mentioned.

Here a copy of it here .. will put new version on Bananas a bit later as have a few other things I like to add to it.
Attachments
AuzWaterAndLandscapeObjects.grf
(3.72 MiB) Downloaded 104 times
Soot Happens
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Well - that was fast :mrgreen: Great, thanks.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

The Reefs are water tiles for now .. but could change them back as some players might have liked those reefs on dry land as well?
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Pyoro wrote:Well - that was fast Great, thanks.
I wasn't suppose to be here to day .. I was planning to go train ride to Sydney and on some over lines in Sydney, but found out they doing track work where I wanted to go and trains are replaced by buses .. so I stay home and go another day and do some more coding.

Thanks kindly for your help .. cheers
Soot Happens
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by KeldorKatarn »

That's all nice and good but you still can't build intersections leading to nowhere. What if I want to draw an intersection in a dirty road because there's a little building RIGHT NEXT to the road. Since I cannot draw a dirty road tile between the road and the house, there's no way for me to create the intersection.
I really think you should make the intersection tiles AND the diagnoal road tiles available again separately. And possibly the straight ones as well. Sometimes placing road pieaces by hand is necessary and the auto-layout just doesn't do the job.
I cannot work without the old version installed in parallel as long as the dirt roads work like this since it's missing functionality.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

KeldorKatarn wrote:That's all nice and good but you still can't build intersections leading to nowhere. What if I want to draw an intersection in a dirty road because there's a little building RIGHT NEXT to the road. Since I cannot draw a dirty road tile between the road and the house, there's no way for me to create the intersection
That the good part other testing what coders make as like yourself you have other ideas how to use things and there for help us improve or fix issues.

I shall put those road pieces back in. Should be available in a few days.

Cheers
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

KeldorKatarn wrote:That's all nice and good but you still can't build intersections leading to nowhere.
See if some of these graphic changes will help.
Improved Roads.png
Improved Roads.png (33.24 KiB) Viewed 3584 times
I did some transitioning where the dirt roads join the gravel and Tar roads.

Also made some single straight pieces for the tar and the wide gravel.

And re-introduced the junction pieces I think you liked.

Have a try of what I done and see what you think.

Added the sources as well for anyone like to use anything I done for their own projects.
Attachments
AuzRoadAndTownObjects.grf
(4.51 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
AuzRoadAndTownSource.rar
Source Files
(9.53 MiB) Downloaded 75 times
Soot Happens
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Yeah but I also mean within one road type. I'm sharing another screenshot again to let you know what currently can't be done:
Example.jpg
Example.jpg (885.06 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
Example 2.jpg
(3.28 MiB) Not downloaded yet
All of these things can not be reproduced again. So I even if I wanted to switch all old grfs for the new ones and reproduce all this work, there would be no way to do so. You removed the ability to create these things and I think that's a shame. The roadwork has more types but WAY less flexibility now.
For these kinds of sets offering some auto-build stuff is always nice, but there should always be the possibility to place each piece individually, because that allows you the most options to be creative.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

KeldorKatarn wrote:Yeah but I also mean within one road type. I'm sharing another screenshot again to let you know what currently can't be done:

Example.jpg
Example 2.jpg

All of these things can not be reproduced again. So I even if I wanted to switch all old grfs for the new ones and reproduce all this work, there would be no way to do so. You removed the ability to create these things and I think that's a shame. The roadwork has more types but WAY less flexibility now.
For these kinds of sets offering some auto-build stuff is always nice, but there should always be the possibility to place each piece individually, because that allows you the most options to be creative.
Good point. Yeah, it would be nice to be able to select curves and road endings on their own.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Now I understand better what you after.

Maybe I need to go back to originals but also do same idea for the new roads I made.

The "AuzRoadAndTownObjects" file is almost full since I combined it with other sets.

So maybe best I bring back the AuzObjects_FakeRoads and AuzObjects_Towns as separate sets and update these with all the road types old and the new.

Shall see what I can do.

Cheers all
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I could not add the old roads to "AuzRoadAndTownObjects" due to I have reached the limits .. only allowed 256 objects per set and this is already at 248 .. not enough room for all the old roads.

So next alternative was to load all the new roads in to the original "AuzObjects_FakeRoads" and left it as Version 2 so it should work for you. Now all old and new roads are together.

I think be best if I re-make "AuzRoadAndTownObjects" by removing all the roads and call it "AuzTownObjects" or just update the older version "AuzObjects_Towns".
Attachments
AuzObjects_FakeRoads.grf
Includes old and new roads
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 81 times
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Forgot the Town set.

This set is the AuzRoadAndTownObjects with out the roads.
Attachments
AuzTownObjects.grf
(3.53 MiB) Downloaded 93 times
Soot Happens
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by KeldorKatarn »

I'm currently running with two versions of the stuff so I have most of it. But for a new game it would be great if you separated all the roads out yeah :)

Return to “Graphics Development”