AuzObjects

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: AuzObjects

Post by GarryG »

2TallTyler wrote: 14 Apr 2020 10:21 Will this use the same WWAY roadtype from your Water Way Roads? I've been thinking about making a canalboat set for this to improve early (pre-train) gameplay. (Sorry to hijack the thread...)
Canalboat set sounds nice idea. That and river barges would go great with the water roads. No problem hijacking my thread especially when we all have a similar idea.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Dear Garry,

I especially like the autoplace objects you created! They add so much ease to the placement of creeks :)
I always thought to use the same technique (check for adjacent tiles) for the water ways to make it compatible with lakes and ocean, but this ain't supported for Rail/Road/Tram Types :(
So all I can do is create a new 'Road' Type for that :lol:
GarryG wrote: 14 Apr 2020 00:57 Would like to make a normal river to that effect. In Australia especially along the Murray and Darling Rivers paddle steamers and small cargo boats would go up and down those rivers servicing towns and farms. So your idea will make a lot of interest in the game.
Same here, especially until 20th century. I created the waterway road type to make something like the Spreewald region in Germany. Its a forest with lots and lots of small naturally created canals which were used as main roads to connect the houses of the villages. So not only people but also mail and freight was delivered by boat.

I thought about placing two rivers next to each other and check via switch for adjacent tiles to close the seam between the rivers. But as this is not supported for road types, I thought about making the tiles of the road type broader. But they can only overlap the north facing sides of the tile, so I think I need new objects to be placed along the south facing side of the river, to create the look of a broad river ?(
2TallTyler wrote: 14 Apr 2020 10:21 Will this use the same WWAY roadtype from your Water Way Roads? I've been thinking about making a canalboat set for this to improve early (pre-train) gameplay. (Sorry to hijack the thread...)
I thought about using LAKE or something like that for the lakes. But the boats of my set are all coded as WWAY. The other road types have support for WWAY, so the boats can use them, too.
Of course we can discuss about using another type, i.e. BOAT, for the boats. I simply avoided that at the time, because those 'compatibility types' would clutter up the Build Menu ... But if you'd like to use this type I'd recode my set to use it, too :wink:

Speaking of it, I'd be very happy if you'd made a canalboat set! :D I especially created the WWAY set, so other folks could jump in and create their own boat sets :)

If you need any assistance just ask :)
Maybe you can start looking at the boats I've drawn for my set? The source code of my WWAY set contains under src/gfx text files with the data for the famous Pixel Tool. You can easily load it up and create your own boats from it. I think there should be text files for cargoes too... The only 'downside' is, it's all 2x zoom graphics ...

Cheers
Kruemelchen
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Autolay and AutoSlopes
To my knowledge are not available for roads. Which is a pitty. :cry:
Same here, especially until 20th century. I created the waterway road type to make something like the Spreewald region in Germany.
Like to see something like this. I also have access to other photos of other river boats and Ferries so could have a go making these. Some you done very close to what in some of the photos I have.
Paterson wharf02.jpg
Paterson wharf02.jpg (111.9 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
Kruemelchen wrote: 14 Apr 2020 13:08 I thought about placing two rivers next to each other and check via switch for adjacent tiles to close the seam between the rivers.
Maybe do something similar to what Andrew360 and I did with roads .. the freeway are wide and when placed side by side look like one wide highway.

If like I see if I can make a set of freeways with water. Make 2 sets .. one with a river bank of left side (far side) and other with a river bank on right side (near side) .. just a matter (I hope) to place these 2 river roads side by side.
I thought about using LAKE or something like that for the lakes. But the boats of my set are all coded as WWAY. The other road types have support for WWAY, so the boats can use them, too.
If the 3 of us made different river-roads and vehicle-boats is there any reason why all can't be WWAY types so they might be able to join the different river styles together like we do with different roads and boats can use all the rivers?

(Only problem be it could be a couple of days before I can work on it as tomorrow be busy shopping and some family commitments).
Catch you soon.

Cheers
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I should be in dream world by now, but I just had to see if we can have waterfalls in the game.

This what I come up with in first attempt. I used the slopes from the creek set to test my idea.

Only done to 2 facing slopes so far. I imagine the slopes facing NW and NE will not be as easy.
Waterfalls.png
Waterfalls.png (38.36 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
I think the waterfall itself works good, just some tweaking with the rocks and the creek below to work with.

The waterfall is a separate tile cause if I can get it looking good, I think be nice to have a few designs.

Anyone like to test it and give my your opinion or ideas to improve it.
Attachments
AuzWaterObjects.grf
(3.61 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
Soot Happens
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

GarryG wrote: 14 Apr 2020 13:35 Like to see something like this. I also have access to other photos of other river boats and Ferries so could have a go making these. Some you done very close to what in some of the photos I have.
The little steamer looks cute. Would be lovely having something like this ingame =)

Thank you! I'll figure something out when I come to it.
If the 3 of us made different river-roads and vehicle-boats is there any reason why all can't be WWAY types so they might be able to join the different river styles together like we do with different roads and boats can use all the rivers?
We should at least decide upon an easy-to-use type for the vehicles, which others can build upon. To use WWAY is one possibility, to use another acronym is another :)

The different water way styles can easily have different types so you can mix-match things ingame.
I'm using in my pending new release of my waterway grf
WWAY for canals,
RWAY for rivers,
FRZN for frozen rivers, and
FORD for fords through rivers

So, yes, WWAY can indeed behave as a standard like does ROAD :)
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Kruemelchen wrote: 14 Apr 2020 17:16 The little steamer looks cute. Would be lovely having something like this ingame =)

Thank you! I'll figure something out when I come to it
I downloaded your source with the sprites so I'll have a go see if I can make some boats too.
Kruemelchen wrote: 14 Apr 2020 17:16 So, yes, WWAY can indeed behave as a standard like does ROAD
This project is your baby so you decide the codes.

Have you tried the "Seaplane Airport" and how it designed to build on water? Could do something similar to water roads so they can cross other waters. make a few water objects to go each side of the water road.

Any way I have to go town. Catch up with you later.

Cheers
Soot Happens
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Kruemelchen wrote: 14 Apr 2020 13:08 Same here, especially until 20th century. I created the waterway road type to make something like the Spreewald region in Germany. Its a forest with lots and lots of small naturally created canals which were used as main roads to connect the houses of the villages. So not only people but also mail and freight was delivered by boat.
What means "was"? At least the mail gets delivered by boat ("Kahn") until today (from april to october, 2020 in the 123rd year).

There are driving schools for punting boats. Something similar to modern school of punti … err … motoring. :-)

Tschö, Auge
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Still playing around with the idea of Waterfalls.

I have 3 types but only for Southern directions. The northern directions had a few goes but they not look good so might not do those directions. Beside can't see much of the water falls as it hides over the edge of the cliff.
Waterfalls03.png
Waterfalls03.png (38.22 KiB) Viewed 3555 times
Still some tweaking to do, but first I make sure the water is flowing properly.
Attachments
AuzWaterObjects.grf
(3.64 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
Soot Happens
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Dear Garry,

looking forward seeing some boats from your drawing board :)
GarryG wrote: 15 Apr 2020 00:14 This project is your baby so you decide the codes.

Have you tried the "Seaplane Airport" and how it designed to build on water? Could do something similar to water roads so they can cross other waters. make a few water objects to go each side of the water road.
Haha, I think it's best to go with the most friendly approach :wink:
I decided to use "Water Way", for its coherent to "Tram Way" and describes not necessarily something like a "road", but more of a (narrow) canal. But I wanted to avoid confusion with the "real" ship canals we already have. So, if you'd like, you can go with it :)

Yes, that's how I wanted to go with it :lol:
Auge wrote: 15 Apr 2020 08:15 What means "was"? At least the mail gets delivered by boat ("Kahn") until today (from april to october, 2020 in the 123rd year).
Haha, you're right, I totally forgot about that! :lol: Just travelling there from time to time when I was a kid, with our foldable paddle boats.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Kruemelchen wrote: 15 Apr 2020 13:36 looking forward seeing some boats from your drawing board
Looked at some of your boats and I think with some tweaking I can make some others. Been doing some searching for boats used on the Hunter River in Newcastle Australia.

The image before was at a town called Paterson. Here another from opposite shore of the river. The bridge pylon you can see if the building of the railway line. This boat take some making but like to try.
River Boat at Paterson.png
River Boat at Paterson.png (337.56 KiB) Viewed 3531 times
This is a Ferry that operated from Newcastle. I think I can do this one ok.
Stockton Ferry.png
Stockton Ferry.png (201.54 KiB) Viewed 3531 times
Kruemelchen wrote: 15 Apr 2020 13:36 Yes, that's how I wanted to go with it
Looking at your image of the water road crossing actual water and all those fishing boats. Maybe need to make 2 water roads. Make one with the river banks and next with no river banks. When building these water roads just switch between them when reach the actual water.

Hope in next few days look at making the boats. Before I start like to fiddle a bit more with the waterfalls I making.

Cheers
Soot Happens
Fredinho
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fredinho »

GarryG wrote: 15 Apr 2020 13:02 Still playing around with the idea of Waterfalls.

I have 3 types but only for Southern directions. The northern directions had a few goes but they not look good so might not do those directions. Beside can't see much of the water falls as it hides over the edge of the cliff.
Waterfalls03.png

Still some tweaking to do, but first I make sure the water is flowing properly.
I've been wanting a proper waterfall for a while. Good work!

Just an idea: would it be possible, somehow, if the tiles were put next to each other, they could merge to a wider waterfall?
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Fredinho wrote: 15 Apr 2020 14:02 I've been wanting a proper waterfall for a while. Good work!
Just an idea: would it be possible, somehow, if the tiles were put next to each other, they could merge to a wider waterfall?
That my intentions once I get these waterfalls looking better.

I think I got the water falling down the cliff right, but not real happy when it reaches the bottom. Just want to get the spray at the bottom of the fall looking a bit better.
Soot Happens
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Yet again nice work , seeing the one with rocks and i'm thinking white water rapids ,is it possible to , oooh me stuck for the wording , variable widths , start of 1 tile width river ending in say a 3 width waterfall . Rocky outcrops ,falling trees , wrecked boats . Could be a set on its own . I'm sorry my old memory bank is not working with the words , Slope aware is it ? I'm thinking a stepped fall . Well anyway i'm off with my barrel to find a waterfall to topple over .
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

piratescooby wrote: 15 Apr 2020 15:44 Yet again nice work , seeing the one with rocks and i'm thinking white water rapids ,is it possible to
Thanks for the compliment. I need something at bottom of the falls to make it look rough and some white water.

Had a go widening the waterfall. When you look at photos of many water falls the creeks feeding the water falls seem to widen near the top and at the bottom, so I tried something similar. I put some rocks at the bottom and it looks a bit rougher now.
Waterfalls04.png
Waterfalls04.png (39.7 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
piratescooby wrote: 15 Apr 2020 15:44 start of 1 tile width river ending in say a 3 width waterfall . Rocky outcrops ,falling trees , wrecked boats . Could be a set on its own . I'm sorry my old memory bank is not working with the words , Slope aware is it ? I'm thinking a stepped fall .
I think you is right for this to be a set on its own. AuzWaterObjects can remain as objects and mainly for Lakes and Oceans. But I think I need a new set and maybe call it AuzCreekObjects and transfer the Creeks and rivers to this new set and hope I have room for some waterfalls of different types.

I be busy rest of day with home life .. hope to do more to Waterfalls on weekend.

Let me know if like this new Waterfall and if you think of a way to improve it or make some more with a few different effects let me know. I think I will widen the other water falls as well and see if can make some to join together so can have it as wide as you want.
Well anyway i'm off with my barrel to find a waterfall to topple over
Did you empty the barrel, or did you leave some in it to drink while you going over the falls. Just becareful of the rocks below as you could have a smashing time :D
Attachments
AuzWaterObjects.grf
(3.67 MiB) Downloaded 76 times
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

As mentioned above to add waterfalls and some other water object ideas I had to split the AuzWaterObject set and make a new set and called is AuzCreeksAndDrainObjects.

What is in these 2 sets are same as in the download above.

The AuzWaterObjects:

It will have:
Water Tiles, Water Objects, Wharves and Mariners, Ships and Boats, Jetty and Coastal Houses (not yet added)

The AuzCreeksAndDrainObjects:

It will have:
Fake Creeks, Dams, Fake Rivers, Storm Water Drains, Narrow Creeks, and Waterfalls

Hope have those 2 files available in next few days.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Had a go at wide waterfalls that can be made as wide as you want.

They be something like this.
Wide Waterfalls.png
Wide Waterfalls.png (55.15 KiB) Viewed 3331 times
I tried to make the falls flow white like in the photos I looked at. But they did not look good. The animated water that used in game is for the oceans and rivers. Not designed for waterfalls.

Start a game and have a look at wave effect on the shore lines and in the Beach Object set. If I tried to make the waterfalls white you end up with similar effect like the waves. So to have waterfalls I be keeping the effect I have.

Next step getting the rapids at the bottom of the waterfalls looking better.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Did a bit of editing to the waterfalls so you can have a try over the weekend as I have a few other projects I like to work on tomorrow and possible the weekend.

This give time for any one who like to comment and have any suggestions with the waterfalls.
Wide Waterfalls_02.png
Wide Waterfalls_02.png (59.68 KiB) Viewed 3314 times
The smaller waterfall on left in image is my attempt to have the white water. I left it in the game file so you can see for your self and just maybe someone might have a answer to make it look better. Otherwise I will stick to the first idea of the waterfalls flowing as shown in the large waterfall.

Here the game file .. next post will have the new

AuzWaterObjects and AuzLandscapeObjects.
Attachments
AuzCreekAndDrainObjects.grf
(2.29 MiB) Downloaded 65 times
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Here the AusWaterObjects and the AuzLandscapeObjects.

Since I split the AuzWaterObjects to include the AuzCreekAndDrainsObjects it allowed me plenty room to transfer the Wide lake shore lines from the Landscape Objects to the Water Objects.
Attachments
AuzLandscapeObjects.grf
(2.98 MiB) Downloaded 78 times
AuzWaterObjects.grf
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 78 times
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I fiddled around with the waterfalls last night and today but the rapids and the white water on the falls been unsuccessful making them look good.
Waterfalls_04.png
Waterfalls_04.png (67.19 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
So for now until I get new ideas I not do any more to the waterfalls. I go try build a few boats for "Kruemelchen " and get my entry in for the Screenshot comp.

To get some of these effects you need all 3 sets .. AuzCreekAndDrainObjects, AuzWaterObjects and AuzLandscapeObjects.

The creeks and lakes with the sunken look hope to make some new ones. Like to make some shore lines with more sand and a rock or two. Not sure if go sand mining on Quast65 Beaches or just use the sand that is already used on the shore lines. I get some weed poison and spray the grass so it will expose the sand underneath.
Attachments
AuzCreekAndDrainObjects.grf
(2.39 MiB) Downloaded 75 times
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Start to make my screenshot and got some ideas for some more objects. These new objects been added to the AuzWaterObjects.
New Water Tiles.png
New Water Tiles.png (66.54 KiB) Viewed 3140 times
New objects in above image are: Fences in water, sandy shore lines added, (but need to make some for the curves sections), canoes on the shore, canoes with kids in them in the water. Some people out fishing in one of the boats I did before. Kids been told there no sharks, but wasn't told it is because the crocodiles ate all the sharks. There are 3 crocodiles in that image.

More to come .. soon
Soot Happens

Return to “Graphics Development”