Generic 600mm narrow gauge trains inspired by HEQS

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Lesarthois
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Generic 600mm narrow gauge trains inspired by HEQS

Post by Lesarthois »

A set covering all Decauville machines and rolling stock would be incredibly oversized anyway, they were in activity from 1875 (approximatively, the Decauville family created about 10 Decauville named companies related to railway activities ) to the 1960's :mrgreen: (with the name being used as late as 2000).

I was merely suggesting a name for adding variety to your set, if you want for it being more "universal". but that's up to you, of course.

I'm going to try to find infos on Decauville, unfortunately, most of the pages I found are in French, obviously.
Plus many of them have lot of info about the use of the railways, but little in the technical side... If you have the power output and the size of the locomotive, you're already in luck :/

You might have more luck looking on the "Système Péchot-Bourdon" based on Decauville for the French army, with the most prominent feature being the locomotive, a Janus-type steamer :
I'm not sure that OpenTTD will allow a double smoke, as it would be what the loco would do (there is one common boiler on it, so both chimney emitted smoke... apparently, making it an easy target during war :rolleyes: )
http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Trench_railw ... _equipment

http://fortiffsere.fr/forts/index_fichiers/Page1549.htm some data here, in French...

Incidentally, I found this : http://www.cftt.org/pages/uk/day-steam.html
Now I have to go there and try that!

And I see you got links when I was searchign and typing. Good job Michael!
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Lesarthois wrote:I'm not sure that OpenTTD will allow a double smoke, as it would be what the loco would do (there is one common boiler on it, so both chimney emitted smoke
Multiple smoke effects can be done ;)
Lesarthois
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lesarthois »

So, I ran in a new bug today.
When I reached 1935, I saw with pleasure the new "Passenger/Mail Car" engine and replaced some of my passenger minitrains with them.
A while later, when the Arnold Jung appeared in 1940, I looked at the trains, as I wanted to upgrade both engines and wagons for my freight trains (I'm a slow poke in this regard, being that I started the game in 1800, I still had some wooden gondolas running :D).
And I noticed that my game refused to upgrade to the Mail/Passenger engine. When I tried to buy one, it allowed me to, which confused me, until I realized that the power on the engine had dropped from (i think it was) 50 hp to ZERO!
I tried in a new game, and same thing. I tried to start a new game in a different copy of openTTD on a different computer, and this time, as soon as it appears, it has zero power. Even as "pre-test", it appears in a new game as having zero HP, as the screen copy I provide shows.
Attachments
openTTD bug.png
(406.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

@Lesarthois

You´ll have to refit the car to "motorized" ... s. pic:

regards
Michael
Attachments
600_refit.png
600_refit.png (44.18 KiB) Viewed 4551 times
Lesarthois
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lesarthois »

Oooh. Tho that apparently prevent the system to upgrade from a steamer to this car.
Unless, it worked on a train I had because I had refitted it to have 2CC livery?
Well still, it should be motorized by default, I think, so the game can upgrade from a previous loco to this one. But thanks for the explanation! And the provided picture :p I didn't though about looking at the refitting in detail.
I tried further, so, I couldn't upgrade from a standard steamer to the machine, even if I refitted the cars to passengers (so I'm at loss as why it worked once for me? Maybe because I removed all the passenger cars before?)
However, I was able to do that by adding a powered (refitted) Mail/Passenger car to the train and then it would update... But that mean having two locos on the trains, or adding one then selling it back.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Lesarthois wrote: Well still, it should be motorized by default [...]
Yeah, this is weird. I never saw something before. :cool:

regards
Michael
Lesarthois
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lesarthois »

I tried a bit more, and I understand why it happens like that : refitting the car for motorized operation cost money, but refitting it to unmotorized doesn't give you money back.
So I guess that McZapkie wanted to provide a multi-purpose powered/unpowered mail car that can run at 40 kph, unlike the previous stock that are limited to 31 kph.
I guess he'll need to look at it and maybe provide the larger and faster passenger car later and make it refittable for mail, rather that refitting the mail/passenger car into a powered version.

Or make it so that when you upgrade, from a previous locomotive to this car, the game pick up the motorized passenger version. But that's only if the game can do that too of course :mrgreen:
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Non-default powered car resembles that many local railway companies makes their own motor cars rebuild by own from regular cars, instead of purchasing new units.
Secondly, this car is fast but weak, therefore automatic replace can drive users into slippery problems.
Motor option for this car is just a bonus. Unfortunately I see no way to force openttd to display this car as a wagon, instead of locomotive.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

This is quite an interesting thread with cool ideas going on. Something to ponder perhaps.

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic ... e-freight/
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

New version 1.7 was uploaded. I fixed horse sound bug (now it is whining only after "break down", there is no smoke visible in case of horse, so such sound feature is useful.
Diesel railcar and passenger/mail car are now sold separately, instead of ambiguous refitting trick.

I'm lazy with drawing, I hate "to pixel or not to pixel" thinking, any new stock requests can be taken into account if somebody deliver appropriate drawing. Source is available here: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ng600/repository
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

Good stuff! Suggestion: add ballast not unlike tram track ballast to the track sprites
Jetrain
YATTC
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

trainman1432 wrote:Suggestion: add ballast not unlike tram track ballast to the track sprites
Not all, but many 600 mm gauge railways are not well maintained, and its ballast is overgrown by grass:
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

McZapkie wrote:
trainman1432 wrote:Suggestion: add ballast not unlike tram track ballast to the track sprites
Not all, but many 600 mm gauge railways are not well maintained, and its ballast is overgrown by grass:
Oh. Lawnmower required here!
Actually you could make a train that goes maybe 60kph and have that require a ballasted track but meh
Jetrain
YATTC
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

Jetrain
YATTC
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Wow, thats pretty big for a 610mm gauge locomotive. I wonder if that still fits into the scale of this set (but might be nice for heavier mine/industrial lines)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

Yeah, personally I think an engine like that is needed due to a majority of the other engines having a bit of a small horse size :]
E: plus it allows the small trains to seriously compete later game. You should add larger cars for this and lower running costs so it can be used as "transfer trains" that unload onto ML trains
Jetrain
YATTC
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Hi there,

I was trying to add an Italian translation to your set, on the Web Translator, but it tells me I don't have access...?
However, I'm registered as a translator there.
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Snail wrote:Hi there,

I was trying to add an Italian translation to your set, on the Web Translator, but it tells me I don't have access...?
However, I'm registered as a translator there.
I added IT_translator to the project.
I have no idea, how to add automatically all translators, if anybody want to participate in translation please poke me.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

trainman1432 wrote:Yeah, personally I think an engine like that is needed due to a majority of the other engines having a bit of a small horse size :]
E: plus it allows the small trains to seriously compete later game. You should add larger cars for this and lower running costs so it can be used as "transfer trains" that unload onto ML trains
Basically this set was intended to be not used massively in a later stage of the game.
On the other side, forced replace of some railways systems (as it is done in original TTD) can be sometimes annoying. If something works fine, let it be.
This 610mm monster is far to scary for this set, but I can consider to add for example FAUR L30H diesel locomotive.

Return to “Graphics Development”