Glass Windows/walls

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

BermudaTri
Engineer
Engineer

Glass Windows/walls

Post by BermudaTri »

I've been trying to draw some sci-fi buildings, but the glass-walled skyscrapers aren't turning out well.

In the attached, it's the purple tower in the center.

How can I make this feel glassier/glossier?

It doesn't seem smooth'n'shiny enough. I know the standard rule for glass is to reflect the surroundings, but that's not possible in this game since anything could be around it. Suggestions?
Attachments
arcology sample 2.png
arcology sample 2.png (4.5 KiB) Viewed 947 times
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Glass Windows/walls

Post by luxtram »

BermudaTri wrote:I've been trying to draw some sci-fi buildings, but the glass-walled skyscrapers aren't turning out well.

In the attached, it's the purple tower in the center.

How can I make this feel glassier/glossier?

It doesn't seem smooth'n'shiny enough. I know the standard rule for glass is to reflect the surroundings, but that's not possible in this game since anything could be around it. Suggestions?
I have discovered three aspects
1) reflectance,
2) tint (blue, green, brownish),
3) transparency.

You perhaps could not reflect other buildings, but you can reflect the sky (especially clouds) and have an effect where light falling off closer to the ground if the building is high.

For example building on the left is imo most glass like viewtopic.php?p=1176591#p1176591
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250

Return to “Graphics Development”