Belgian Public Transportation

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

dldwg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dldwg »

Belgian Light Rail & Bus Set

All this work including this set is realeased under GPLv2 licence.

Coding: Colossal404
Sprites: dldwg
sprites.png
sprites.png (1.76 KiB) Viewed 5769 times
BN LRV, La Brugeoise et Nivelles Light Rail Vehicle
Those are belgian made tramways used in Charleroi and on the Kusttram line...
Thought limited to 70 km/h they've already reached 137 km/h...
They're or were employed on various line profils including urban tram, premetro, fast tram (90 and Kusttram)...
La Brugeoise et Nivelles Light Rail Vehicle overview.png
La Brugeoise et Nivelles Light Rail Vehicle overview.png (3.9 KiB) Viewed 6397 times
SNCV/NMBS unidirectional (Kusttram)
SNCV/NMBS bidirectional (Hainaut - Charleroi)
TEC Charleroi bidirectional
VVM De Lijn Kusttram unidirectional
VVM De Lijn Kusttram 3 cars unidirectional
Last edited by dldwg on 04 Nov 2016 02:01, edited 6 times in total.
dldwg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dldwg »

SNCB/NMBS Type S
SNCV NMBS Type S overview.png
SNCV NMBS Type S overview.png (3.47 KiB) Viewed 6373 times
SNCV/NMBS Type SO unidirectional (Kusttram)
SNCV/NMBS Type S bidirectional
SNCV/NMBS Type SJ bidirectional

Credits for the Dutch Tram Set team HTM 800
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Belgian Public Transportation

Post by luxtram »

dldwg wrote:Those are belgian made tramways used in Charleroi and on the Kusttram line...
Very cool.
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Very nice! :bow:
Are you also planning to do Belgian trains?
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

dldwg, do you need help with the coding or you are all set? Not that I am offering (as I know only houses at the moment), but if you have troubles then do not hesitate to ask for help.
Quast65 wrote:Very nice! :bow:
Are you also planning to do Belgian trains?
Just for the reference: there are Belgian trains in the 2cc trains set and there is this thread viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6237
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

there is this thread
That set is completely dead... None of the graphics that have been possibly made by the original author (who hasnt been online for almost 8 years) of that set can be found (only some work by Purno and a few others can be found) and there certainly is not a GRF containing all the work that may have been done.
there are Belgian trains in the 2cc trains set
Not that many and I prefer to play with reallife liveries :mrgreen:

I usually play a Dutch scenario (thats what got me developing the Dutch Station Addition Set ages ago ;-) ) and there is one type of train that I would really like to see in my scenario, the MS75 "pigs nose" https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS75 (Sorry, in Dutch, couldnt find an english version on Wikipedia).
Its the stoptrain from Antwerp (Belgium) to Roosendaal (The Netherlands), I havent been able to convince the developers of the Dutch Train Set to include it.
Which I can understand a bit, I believe they only wanted to include the international intercity trains that also stop in some major cities in The Netherlands and this train only stops at Roosendaal, the first Dutch station it can stop at after it crosses the border. A rather short international line ;-) Making it not really interesting enough for them to include it in their set :|
However, being born and raised in Roosendaal and often visiting my mother who still lives there and who has a view from her house on the Roosendaal railline, where you can see that train every hour, makes me often think about it being nice if that train was available in OpenTTD, certainly with the Roosendaal trainstation being in development. ;-) Seeing a new artist drawing Belgian Public Transport stock does mean that I give my request for Belgian Trains (and the MS75 in particular) a new chance ;-)

By the way dldwg, why did you remove the graphics of the trams? I believe those could be seen/downloaded when you first started this thread, now only the overviews are left.

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
dldwg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dldwg »

First thanks for all the advices/comments :D

For coding, I asked Colossal404 to code an old project called North of France viewtopic.php?t=74730 but I paused it, I've asked Colossal404 to code the Belgian local Transport Pack.
Quast65 wrote:Not that many and I prefer to play with reallife liveries :mrgreen:

I usually play a Dutch scenario (thats what got me developing the Dutch Station Addition Set ages ago ;-) ) and there is one type of train that I would really like to see in my scenario, the MS75 "pigs nose" https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS75 (Sorry, in Dutch, couldnt find an english version on Wikipedia).
Its the stoptrain from Antwerp (Belgium) to Roosendaal (The Netherlands), I havent been able to convince the developers of the Dutch Train Set to include it.
Which I can understand a bit, I believe they only wanted to include the international intercity trains that also stop in some major cities in The Netherlands and this train only stops at Roosendaal, the first Dutch station it can stop at after it crosses the border. A rather short international line ;-) Making it not really interesting enough for them to include it in their set :|
However, being born and raised in Roosendaal and often visiting my mother who still lives there and who has a view from her house on the Roosendaal railline, where you can see that train every hour, makes me often think about it being nice if that train was available in OpenTTD, certainly with the Roosendaal trainstation being in development. ;-) Seeing a new artist drawing Belgian Public Transport stock does mean that I give my request for Belgian Trains (and the MS75 in particular) a new chance ;-)

By the way dldwg, why did you remove the graphics of the trams? I believe those could be seen/downloaded when you first started this thread, now only the overviews are left.
The Belgian/French Lille (Rijsel) - Tournai (Doornik) line is even shorter :mrgreen:

As of now I'm only drawing trams then buses and then trains.
I drew some sprites a while ago but I lost them since, but I found those on my old account @masterus so after I get done with the local transport pack I'll redraw those.
I'm not using other sprites as I use a 2,5 px/m (orthographic) 2 px/m (isometric), those old sprites (except the first one) used the TDD 50% size ratio which is actually not accurate.

But I'm thinking of including the MS08 Desiro ML in the tram pack, the Nederlands have a true lightrail/tram-train/Sneltram network (HTM RegioCitadis, Connexxion) but none of this exist in Belgium or France, those "light" trains are used on similar lines or S-Bahn lines...

For the trams I removed them accidentally but I will put them back during the night, I'm actually recoloring them using the TTD Palette Color, I used another palette before and it looked..... :oops:
2016-09-21 (2).png
2016-09-21 (2).png (167.61 KiB) Viewed 6178 times
I've also redrawned the trams sprites pantographs
pantographs.png
pantographs.png (2.51 KiB) Viewed 6178 times
I will put the sprites during the night...

As of now, I'm doing those:

Trams/trams-trains/lightrails
-La Brugeoise et Nivelles Light Rail Vehicle (SNCV, TEC, De Lin liveries)
-Type S SNCV/NMVB
-La Brugeoise et Nivelles PCC car SNCV/NMVB
-MS08 Desiro ML (SNCB/NMBS)
-Bombardier Flexity 2 (VVM De Lijn)

Buses
-Irisbus/Iveco Crossway (TEC, De Lijn)
Irisbus Crossway LE (city bus) 12 m overview.png
Irisbus Crossway LE (city bus) 12 m overview.png (1.6 KiB) Viewed 6178 times
... more to come
Last edited by dldwg on 22 Sep 2016 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Cool, I look forward to your progress!!

By the way, a little suggestion/request, please pick a license for your graphics (and for example state that license in your first post of this thread), that way people easily can see if they are allowed to use your graphics in their projects (or are able/allowed to continue your project if you decide to abandon it ;-) ).

dldwg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dldwg »

Quast65 wrote:Cool, I look forward to your progress!!

By the way, a little suggestion/request, please pick a license for your graphics (and for example state that license in your first post of this thread), that way people easily can see if they are allowed to use your graphics in their projects (or are able/allowed to continue your project if you decide to abandon it ;-) ).
Where can I find those :D ?
Otherwise I let everyone modify transform redistribute (...) my work I don't care.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=55814
Otherwise I let everyone modify transform redistribute (...) my work I don't care.
Go with GPL (2, or 3) then ;-) Going with GPL allows you to also use graphics from other GPL-sets in your set, that way you might not have to draw everything from scratch, but can use drawings from others and just color in Belgian liveries.

luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

dldwg wrote:

Otherwise I let everyone modify transform redistribute (...) or wahtever they want to do with my work I don't care.
What you just stated is IMO releasing your work into public domain. This also means that other people can use your work directly for commercial purposes without giving anything back for it. I do not consider the money here.

Another option is a licence with certain restrictions. One of such licence is GPLv2 (General Public Licence version 2). This licence is very often used by the open source software. Main motivation of this licence is to force others who build upon your work also release their work under the same conditions as is your work (that is, under GPLv2 licence pretty much). For software it means that source code of the software has to be released. For pixels... I am actually not very sure about, but I have also released my GIMP files along with the graphics. But I am certain that when somebody modifies and uses your graphics in their set then they can prohibit others to build upon their set. Additional benefit of this licence is that you still very clearly hold the copyright of your works what is not so certain with releasing into public domain.

So my recommendation is to choose the GPLv2 licence instead of "whatever" licence. :)

Edit: As Quast65 mentioned, one more benefit is possibility to use other GPL licensed work as you can not release modified GPL licensed work under "whatever" license. :)
dldwg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dldwg »

luxtram wrote:
dldwg wrote:

Otherwise I let everyone modify transform redistribute (...) or wahtever they want to do with my work I don't care.
What you just stated is IMO releasing your work into public domain. This also means that other people can use your work directly for commercial purposes without giving anything back for it. I do not consider the money here.

Another option is a licence with certain restrictions. One of such licence is GPLv2 (General Public Licence version 2). This licence is very often used by the open source software. Main motivation of this licence is to force others who build upon your work also release their work under the same conditions as is your work (that is, under GPLv2 licence pretty much). For software it means that source code of the software has to be released. For pixels... I am actually not very sure about, but I have also released my GIMP files along with the graphics. But I am certain that when somebody modifies and uses your graphics in their set then they can prohibit others to build upon their set. Additional benefit of this licence is that you still very clearly hold the copyright of your works what is not so certain with releasing into public domain.

So my recommendation is to choose the GPLv2 licence instead of "whatever" licence. :)

Edit: As Quast65 mentioned, one more benefit is possibility to use other GPL licensed work as you can not release modified GPL licensed work under "whatever" license. :)
Thanks, I put the GPLv2 licence...
This is quite like Wikipedia when it comes to licencing.
dldwg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dldwg »

Final model

Here comes the final La Brugeoise et Nivelles Light Rail Vehicle
BN LRV preview.png
BN LRV preview.png (6.79 KiB) Viewed 6112 times
BN LRV 6100 SNCV/NMVB
BN LRV 6100 TEC
BN LRV 6100 TEC (multiple unit)
BN LRV 6000 De Lijn
BN LRV 6000 (3 cars) De Lijn
BN LRV (sprites V1.0).png
(29.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by dldwg on 26 Sep 2016 10:43, edited 3 times in total.
dldwg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dldwg »

Final model

Type S and Type SJ SNCV/NMVB
Type S SNCV NMVB preview.png
Type S SNCV NMVB preview.png (2.38 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
Type S SNCV NMVB (sprites V1.0).png
(12.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by dldwg on 26 Sep 2016 10:43, edited 3 times in total.
dldwg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dldwg »

WIP

AM08 Desiro ML
AM08 Desiro ML.png
AM08 Desiro ML.png (2.13 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
Last edited by dldwg on 26 Sep 2016 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
dldwg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dldwg »

WIP
AM08 Desiro ML preview.png
AM08 Desiro ML preview.png (16.35 KiB) Viewed 6038 times
YSH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by YSH »

Lovely work so far, certainly looking forward to seeing these in the game.

As for the long train coaches, how is that going to look when making curves, are they going to stick out weirdly? Some other sets have tried these more realistic proportions and maybe somebody solved it (hope so), otherwise it might look very odd.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Indeed, the carriages and locomotives do look very long. Most train sets keep them to half a tile in Length, your Locomotive is 1 whole tile, and the carriage 1 and a half tiles! :shock:

I've never seen carriages so long, and as has been questioned, how are they going to work on curves, junctions, etc. Also, is there going to be an issue with an overlap? I'm not a coder, so I'm not sure, but wouldn't these extra length carriages overlap one another? Of course, if that image with the carriages and locomotive in game are the real deal and not a mock up, then this issue has already been overcome. :)

I'll be keeping an eye on this, and I wish you the best of luck :D
dldwg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dldwg »

YSH wrote:As for the long train coaches, how is that going to look when making curves, are they going to stick out weirdly? Some other sets have tried these more realistic proportions and maybe somebody solved it (hope so), otherwise it might look very odd.
Pilot wrote:Indeed, the carriages and locomotives do look very long. Most train sets keep them to half a tile in Length, your Locomotive is 1 whole tile, and the carriage 1 and a half tiles! :shock:

I've never seen carriages so long, and as has been questioned, how are they going to work on curves, junctions, etc. Also, is there going to be an issue with an overlap? I'm not a coder, so I'm not sure, but wouldn't these extra length carriages overlap one another? Of course, if that image with the carriages and locomotive in game are the real deal and not a mock up, then this issue has already been overcome. :)

I'll be keeping an eye on this, and I wish you the best of luck :D
Indeed, most trainsets use 32/16px, however this is odd since the 50% ratio is made between a square side and its diagonal...

This one is indeed 1 tiles long but this might solve the problem while using realistic dimensions ?
Using realistic dimensions would avoid having a 26 m long coach being as long as a 12 m tram ingame...
AM08 Desiro ML preview.png
AM08 Desiro ML preview.png (7.25 KiB) Viewed 5944 times

Return to “Graphics Development”