1000 building set [WIP]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: 1000 building set [WIP]

Post by luxtram »

Chrill wrote:EDIT: I went and found some photos one could use as inspiration!
Interesting. I will now just express what appears to be an explanation of my taste of buildings. The older buildings looks like a good examples of upstartiness of the era (is this a word?). These are way out of the proportion. On the other hand, they provide interesting details from that era and could be used as basis for some building. But not in the high rise form. Definitely interesting. The more modern building is nice and clean with some interesting detail and is a good candidate for a new building for more modern era from Sweden and I think it would nicely fit along with the existing ones.

Just a small note. If you provide a building, please take a moment to include also some bits of information about it. Like its name if it is known and perhaps links to more information. I was able to gather this from the image links, but it would be really nice if something like this could be found under the picture. Also perhaps your opinion why it should be included.

In addition, please keep the examples in the skyscraper or modern apartment building category, as so far these are the only ones currently released and could be compared against.
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, that is the Wenner Gren Center and I'm sure you find the info about it like you said :)

We don't have a lot of skyscrapers in Sweden, and the ones we do have are usually very unique such as the Turning Torso. I wouldn't be of much more help!
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Time for another update of the progress.

Please note that this is a release to test specific aspects of the set and many of the buildings are far from their finished state. These are just prototypes.

I included town houses based on my existing drawings. After initial test I decided to normalize the heights. This is, every town house would have more or less same height.
1000 Set Town Building Height Test.png
1000 Set Town Building Height Test.png (171.94 KiB) Viewed 5866 times
I think that the result looks good (read: promising). My main concern was that different buildings from different backgrounds (I have 3 cities in this update) would not play nice together but this fas unfounded.

I realized that I have to create different views of the same building as otherwise it is difficult to create city blocks.

I also realized that 25 additional buildings is definitely far from sufficient to cover main city area, so I ask you to provide your ideas about the buildings that would think would satisfy these requirements. Don't have to match exactly, just be possible to extend or reduce to this size.

I will continue to transform my remaining sources into this size and will create new buildings based on my usual sources, that is mostly Luxembourg downtown.
Attachments
1000building-set.grf
(355.74 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
1000set0.1.2.zip
(3.53 MiB) Downloaded 644 times
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Something that can give you a lot of buildings very fast is using some of the buildings you already have and put shops/cafe's on the ground floor, vary these shops (or their advertisements) and the color/texture of the appartments/offices on top of those. I dont think it hurts that in the same block a couple of buildings with the same sort of design are next to each other, this happens in lots of cities.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Quast65 wrote:Something that can give you a lot of buildings very fast is using some of the buildings you already have and put shops/cafe's on the ground floor, vary these shops (or their advertisements) and the color/texture of the appartments/offices on top of those. I dont think it hurts that in the same block a couple of buildings with the same sort of design are next to each other, this happens in lots of cities.
I know what you mean. :D I did some modding during the first height assessment and created three variations of one building facade.
1000 Set 0.1.2 Preview Mod.png
1000 Set 0.1.2 Preview Mod.png (40.27 KiB) Viewed 5830 times
This will definitely help a little. I also want to have content based variants of the buildings (depending how the facade is located to the street, especially corners). This will also help a little.

Still it will not hide the lack of the buldings. :)
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Looks interesting. Swedish Houses Set also has wall to wall buildings and they look really good.

Is it intended to be compatible with other building sets (in proportions etc)? I see no mentions about it in the first post.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Kogut wrote:Looks interesting. Swedish Houses Set also has wall to wall buildings and they look really good.

Is it intended to be compatible with other building sets (in proportions etc)? I see no mentions about it in the first post.
It has not been directly spelled out because I intentionally avoided wording that could be felt as criticism of other sets and I do not want to criticise other sets as everything has its place for somebody and I definitely do not want to start a flame war in this thread :) For example TTRS and Swedish houses have been my favorites for long time and have helped me to keep playing well behind the initial interest and I have great respect towards these sets and their respective authors. :bow:

Now will this set be compatible with TTRS and Swedish Houses in proportions? I probably should say that no, but the real answer is that it depends.
SwedTTRSCompatibility.png
SwedTTRSCompatibility.png (68.68 KiB) Viewed 5811 times
If you are fine with what you are seeing in this picture then this set is already compatible for you. :) For me, and this is purely my personal opinion, these houses from TTRS and Swedish houses feel out of proportion and I do not know any way to make this set more compatible in this regard. :roll: But by carefully arranging the buildings from these sets is definitely possible with great results (see the post above for an example viewtopic.php?p=1176591#p1176591)

But because this set could not be made more compatible with TTRS and Swedish Houses does not mean that it would not work other way around. :rolleyes: I have plan that when this set develops more mature then I will include selected houses from both sets and mod them the be in great accord with this set.

Edit: I wanted to share one more screenshot that demonstrates that many houses from TTRS and Swedish set will play nice together with this set.
SwedTTRSCompatibility2.png
SwedTTRSCompatibility2.png (105.31 KiB) Viewed 5807 times
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

Thank you for a first glimp at a lovely plan, I'm currently trying this experiment, with Swedish houses, TTRS and this set 0.1.1.
But mainly thank you for the Swedish Houses tip. Lovely gameplay in 1900, the way I'm starting your set. Very promising!
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Would this work? It's called Stockholm One and has an uneven facade. It could probably be adopted to fit for a modern highrise.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mjGyOhssHz0/ ... imerad.jpg

EDIT: Perhaps with this shape (the house is the FANTASTIC building seen next to the road, and is seen from above)

Yes. I'm a great artist. I know. Anyways, this should make it link up with other buildings OK.
Attachments
supergreatdrawing.png
supergreatdrawing.png (3.38 KiB) Viewed 5655 times
My Scenarios:
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Chrill wrote:Would this work? It's called Stockholm One and has an uneven facade.
This could, but it is hard to say without trying. Sweden indeed seems to love weirdly shaped highrises.
Is this building on Google Maps? All saw looked like renders. I did not look very hard though. I would like to see this building from above. Google Maps aerial view, aerial photo, rendering, all would do.
Chrill wrote:Yes. I'm a great artist. I know.
Yes you are. Now, maybe you need to work a little on your practice, but you are not afraid to use the tools. This is a good start.

Of course I would like to encourage you to give a thought about creating some buildings. Drawing with a free hand is very difficult, but putting pixels next to each other one by one is much simpler.

You put first two pixels next to each other, then move up by 1, repeat. It is this simple to draw a horizontal line in the perspective. Drawing a vertical line is even easier. Important detail by this is to zoom in so you could see the pixels and zoom out so you could see the whole.

If you are not afraid to try and have time for this then you could attempt to draw a simple house and send to me by PM, or even create your own learning thread. That would be also interesting.
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

rbos86 wrote:Thank you for a first glimp at a lovely plan, I'm currently trying this experiment, with Swedish houses, TTRS and this set 0.1.1.
But mainly thank you for the Swedish Houses tip. Lovely gameplay in 1900, the way I'm starting your set. Very promising!
This is very cool. :) Just keep in mind that this set is in very alpha status, so next version my have incompatible building arrangement. Do not this to discourage to try this out. ;)

I went through my vacation photos and drew some more prototypes. 25 to be precise (not coded yet, sorry).
Town Buildings Preview 1.png
Town Buildings Preview 1.png (45.47 KiB) Viewed 5624 times
It would be way over 50 together with previous buildings and some extras I still can hack together from previous drawings. I guess it is enough for the start.

I will now check the code needed to do position aware buildings and then start releasing them.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

luxtram wrote:
Chrill wrote:Would this work? It's called Stockholm One and has an uneven facade.
This could, but it is hard to say without trying. Sweden indeed seems to love weirdly shaped highrises.
Is this building on Google Maps? All saw looked like renders. I did not look very hard though. I would like to see this building from above. Google Maps aerial view, aerial photo, rendering, all would do.
Sorry. The design was finalised just days ago, construction is expected to start now and it should be done in 2-3 years.
My Scenarios:
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Hm, maybe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roof_garden would be nice for building variants?
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Kogut wrote:Hm, maybe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roof_garden would be nice for building variants?
I think this is a good idea. Just must be careful by not overdoing it. I see a lot of renders with green roofs, seems to be idea fix of some architects.

Naturally it would not work with every building, but with some it will and together with all other small modifications it would add variety.
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Thank you very much for working on the new set of city buildings! I really like it. Well done :)) . Waiting for the further development of the set. Buildings what type are you planning to add? Will private houses, parks, stadiums, shopping centers and other buildings, as in other sets? (for example, Swedish houses set)

A small request :roll: - add each version of the set on bananas, so that each player can download through the online content game. Thanks in advance.
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
le_harv
Engineer
Engineer

Post by le_harv »

Just wanted to stop by and show you the pleasing effect of mixing your set with Swedish Houses, North American City Set, ECS Houses and Dutch Houses. You get this nice blend of older buildings mixed with infilled skyscrapers.

I look forward to the set progressing and the building details being added. Nice work.
Attachments
Unnamed, 1st Jan 2025.png
(509.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Unnamed, 1st Jan 1982#1.png
(210.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Unnamed, 1st Jan 1982.png
(211.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Toffo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Toffo »

This looks awesome, thanks!
openbu.org
Engineer
Engineer

Post by openbu.org »

thanks to luxtram,thanks to the community.
Attachments
3-3.7z
(6.55 MiB) Downloaded 392 times
openbu.org
Engineer
Engineer

Post by openbu.org »

4*4
Attachments
4-4.7z
(5.82 MiB) Downloaded 263 times