American Bridge Replacement Set [0.5.0 Released 12-13-2020]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: American Bridge Replacement Set [0.1.0 Released 4-30-18]

Post by GarryG »

Hi Andrew,

Here all my sprites and coding.

The Coding for road in the Cougal Bridge not complete as only testing the rail bridge. Intend to transfer the Rail bridge over to replace the Stone Rail Bridge.

Any one else want to use these your welcome to do so.

Cheers

Garry
Attachments
AuzbridgeTest.rar
(395.56 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

GarryG wrote:Hi Andrew,

Here all my sprites and coding.

The Coding for road in the Cougal Bridge not complete as only testing the rail bridge. Intend to transfer the Rail bridge over to replace the Stone Rail Bridge.

Any one else want to use these your welcome to do so.

Cheers

Garry
Awesome, thanks :)

========

In other news, today is another day, so I suppose I'll show off the other cable-stayed bridge I've been working on:
Honfingburg Transport, 15th Jan 3000#3.png
Honfingburg Transport, 15th Jan 3000#3.png (96.5 KiB) Viewed 16795 times
Again, this is only a mockup and needs a little touchup, but otherwise just about done :) This specific bridge is heavily inspired by the Nhat Tan bridge in Vietnam, although this style of cable-stayed bridge is fairly common around the world, with at least a couple of examples in the US.
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

Lovely bridges, but is there any way to disable railtypes for the wooden one? :)
Attachments
Näyttökuva 2018-09-11 kello 15.57.55.png
Näyttökuva 2018-09-11 kello 15.57.55.png (216.54 KiB) Viewed 16738 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

alluke wrote:Lovely bridges, but is there any way to disable railtypes for the wooden one? :)
Railtypes are usually applied as an overlay when a bridge is built from the railtype menu.
Did you try building the bridge from the default rail menu?
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

wallyweb wrote:
alluke wrote:Lovely bridges, but is there any way to disable railtypes for the wooden one? :)
Railtypes are usually applied as an overlay when a bridge is built from the railtype menu.
Did you try building the bridge from the default rail menu?
Railtypes aren't like roadtypes. It's entirely possible and common for the default rails to be replaced by a tracktype.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Hi there, unfortunately there's currently no way to disable railtypes for bridges, so unless you use a railtype set which does not overwrite the default rails, there's no way to avoid this. :( It would definitely be on my ultimate wishlist of new bridge features though, along with custom bridge layouts and multi-part bridge heads (among many others), but it will not likely happen. :)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Andrew350 wrote:
Hi there, unfortunately there's currently no way to disable railtypes for bridges, so unless you use a railtype set which does not overwrite the default rails, there's no way to avoid this. :( It would definitely be on my ultimate wishlist of new bridge features though, along with custom bridge layouts and multi-part bridge heads (among many others), but it will not likely happen. :)
Keep in mind that JGR has implemented two bridge properties that were originally developed by cirdan for his New Map Features:
- Three additional bridge IDs
- Custom GUI icons (Especially handy when modifying the recolour bridges).
What would be really useful would be multiple bridge sets per game.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Re: American Bridge Replacement Set [0.2.0 Released 9-28-18]

Post by Andrew350 »

Small update today :)

I'm going ahead and releasing 0.2.0, which is a relatively minor update which adds the plate girder rail bridge, the concrete viaduct road bridge, and changes the rail version of the steel truss bridge into a cantilever style. Here is the set as it stands with this release:
Pronborough Bay Transport, 5th Oct 3000#1.png
Pronborough Bay Transport, 5th Oct 3000#1.png (157.77 KiB) Viewed 16525 times
Please note that I've shifted around some of the internal bridge IDs so the new gui icons make more sense and to get the set ready for additional bridges; unfortunately this means broken savegame compatibility. On the plus side though I shouldn't have to do that again, so future updates should be savegame safe :)

Also note that this is a relatively quick-and-dirty release, at least for me, so there may be a goof or two. If all goes well, the next update should contain the cable-stayed bridges shown earlier as well as some other bridges (mostly road/rail counterparts to existing ones, which aren't done yet) and some other improvements to provide a better overall polish :).

Enjoy!
Attachments
american_bridges.tar
(122.5 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
american_bridges_source_0.2.0.zip
(144.55 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Gliptal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gliptal »

Very nice!
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Re: American Bridge Replacement Set [0.3.0 Released 1-17-19]

Post by Andrew350 »

Hi all, small update today :)

Finally, after several months and a new year, I've managed to cobble together enough progress for a decent release. The 'big' new feature is the addition of the cable-stayed bridges shown in the preview pics earlier. I've polished them up and made some tweaks from the teasers but mostly they look the same.

I've also made some big changes to two of the existing bridges, adding some much-needed cribbing to the wooden railroad trestle with a small recolor (ideas stolen from GarryG ;)), and I also repainted the steel cantilever railroad bridge in a rusty white color. These changes can be seen in the image below:
0.3.0_new_stuff.png
0.3.0_new_stuff.png (501.01 KiB) Viewed 16208 times
In addition to the obvious visual changes I also added some proper speed limits and introduction dates for all the bridges included so far, both of which I hope to make configurable in the future (once I figure out how :P). In fact, here's a handy little table I made to track what's done in the set so far:

Code: Select all

id |     type     | year |  speed  |   transport types
----------------------------
00  wood          -    0 -  25 mph - road + rail
01  stone         -    0 -  35 mph - road + rail
02  steel truss   - 1870 -  50 mph - road + rail
03  cable-stayed  - 1990 - 200 mph - road + rail
04                -      -         -
05                -      -         - 
06  plate girder  - 1920 -  70 mph - rail
07  concrete      - 1960 - 120 mph - road
08                -      -         -
09  covered       - 1850 -  40 mph - road
10                -      -         - 
11                -      -         - 
12                -      -         - 
Also with this release I've decided to go ahead and make this set available on BaNaNaS for easier consumption (and yes, this version is compatible with the previous release!).

Go ahead and let me know what you think, good or bad, otherwise I hope you enjoy it! :)
Attachments
american_bridges.tar
(166 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
american_bridges_source_0.3.0.zip
(290.15 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Very nicely done.

Glad to see people pinching ideas from me as for years I been pinching from others.

Cheers pal
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

I've been slowly working on revamping the covered road bridge to fix some mistakes along with improving the texture a little. Meanwhile I also got around to making the rail counterpart for it:
covered_road.png
covered_road.png (37.03 KiB) Viewed 14613 times
covered_rail.png
covered_rail.png (33.94 KiB) Viewed 14613 times
The plan for releasing 0.4 is to at least get both road and rail versions for all existing bridges, so the plate girder and concrete viaduct will get their partners as well. No clue when that might happen, but I'm working on it ;)
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

Really nice graphics!
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Re: American Bridge Replacement Set [0.4.0 Released 4-30-19]

Post by Andrew350 »

Hello all, since today marks one year since the initial test release I thought it would be a good day to drop an update :)

Nothing too big this time, but as promised above this update fleshes out the existing bridge types so that all of them now have road and rail versions. Unfortunately I couldn't quite squeeze in the monorail and maglev versions like I was hoping, but they would have basically been copies of the rail versions anyway, so not too important. Maybe next time. :)

Here's a little preview of the rail version of the concrete viaduct, one of the new bridges in 0.4.0:
Nelson Transport, Jan 23rd, 2091.png
Nelson Transport, Jan 23rd, 2091.png (72.13 KiB) Viewed 14206 times
As usual, the set can be downloaded here or on Bananas. Enjoy :)
Attachments
american_bridges.tar
(195 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
american_bridges_source_0.4.0.zip
(404.7 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Andrew350 wrote:Hello all, since today marks one year since the initial test release I thought it would be a good day to drop an update :)

Nothing too big this time, but as promised above this update fleshes out the existing bridge types so that all of them now have road and rail versions. Unfortunately I couldn't quite squeeze in the monorail and maglev versions like I was hoping, but they would have basically been copies of the rail versions anyway, so not too important. Maybe next time. :)

Here's a little preview of the rail version of the concrete viaduct, one of the new bridges in 0.4.0:

Nelson Transport, Jan 23rd, 2091.png

As usual, the set can be downloaded here or on Bananas. Enjoy :)
I found out that this set causes a glitch with the tube bridges...
Attachments
screenshot.png
Notice the incorrect sprite on the far side of the tube bridges.
(467.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

SimYouLater wrote:I found out that this set causes a glitch with the tube bridges...
Thanks for letting me know. It took a bit of squinting to see it, but indeed it is the incorrect sprite. :)

One of the sprites in the default bridge tables must be wrong; I'll do some checking later to see if it's just my doing somehow, or perhaps if it exists in FooBar's original example :)

Also, while checking this in OpenTTD, I happened to notice an unrelated problem with RattRoads as well, so two bugs for the price of one! :lol:
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Andrew350 wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:I found out that this set causes a glitch with the tube bridges...
Thanks for letting me know. It took a bit of squinting to see it, but indeed it is the incorrect sprite. :)

One of the sprites in the default bridge tables must be wrong; I'll do some checking later to see if it's just my doing somehow, or perhaps if it exists in FooBar's original example :)

Also, while checking this in OpenTTD, I happened to notice an unrelated problem with RattRoads as well, so two bugs for the price of one! :lol:
If it helps, if I load the Monkey Bar bridge NewGRF with ABRS to replace the tube bridge, a similar glitch occurs...
Attachments
Nelson & Co., 01_02_2100.png
Nelson & Co., 01_02_2100.png (141.98 KiB) Viewed 13952 times
Licenses for my work...
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

SimYouLater wrote:If it helps, if I load the Monkey Bar bridge NewGRF with ABRS to replace the tube bridge, a similar glitch occurs...
Hmm, this might be something to report to Froix then ;) (assuming this happens when loaded by itself, also)

Meanwhile, as I suspected the problem is simply a mix-up of sprite numbers in the default bridge code posted by FooBar on the wiki (which I used to create the templates for the bridges in my code). It's a simple fix, just changing a few hex codes, and I'll look into trying to fix the code on the wiki as well to prevent it from spreading further.

Honestly I don't think that part of the code even needs to be there in my set since I don't even touch those bridges (yet), but I guess it aided in finding a mistake in the template code which any future bridge GRF authors will likely use, so I guess it works out :)
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Andrew350 wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:If it helps, if I load the Monkey Bar bridge NewGRF with ABRS to replace the tube bridge, a similar glitch occurs...
Hmm, this might be something to report to Froix then ;) (assuming this happens when loaded by itself, also)
Unfortunately, it doesn't occur when loaded by itself, only when used with ARBS.
Licenses for my work...

Return to “Graphics Development”