American Bridge Replacement Set [0.5.0 Released 12-13-2020]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: American Bridge Replacement Set [WIP]

Post by oftcrash »

How about an animated object of the Tacoma Narrows bridge :)
Froix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Froix »

Those are some fine looking bridges!
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Thanks all for the compliments :)

Finally got the covered bridge in-game, looks similar to oftcrash's mockup:
covered1.png
covered1.png (73 KiB) Viewed 9391 times
What do you think?

---------------------
oftcrash wrote:How about an animated object of the Tacoma Narrows bridge
The Tacoma Narrows Bridge failure is definitely a local bridge and a very interesting subject, but not in the scope of this project. Would be fun to see a bridge failure disaster in OpenTTD though :)
STD wrote:And different types of American tunnels you plan to create?
I have no immediate plans to create new tunnels. Perhaps when/if RoadTypes are completed and more road tunnel types become possible I will look into it :)
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Andrew350 wrote:Finally got the covered bridge in-game, looks similar to oftcrash's mockup
I understand it is only in Your game? No grf available yet?
What do you think?
It looks very nice! Would fit into my new Canada game very well 8)
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Looks great! Really looking forward to this set.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

ISA wrote:I understand it is only in Your game? No grf available yet?
No, not yet. Still some work needed before a release :)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

BTW, I was thinking that one of the Steel bridges (Either the arch or girder bridge) could be replaced with one of those simple steel bridges you may see from time to time in North America.

For example, you have one such bridge right here on Wilson Road in my town of Oshawa https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.8911377, ... 312!8i6656

(I hope the link works and takes people to the bridge. Funny thing is that I use to goto the school on the right as a kid and was always afraid of a train derailing in to our school yard)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

NekoMaster wrote:BTW, I was thinking that one of the Steel bridges (Either the arch or girder bridge) could be replaced with one of those simple steel bridges you may see from time to time in North America.

For example, you have one such bridge right here on Wilson Road in my town of Oshawa https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.8911377, ... 312!8i6656

(I hope the link works and takes people to the bridge. Funny thing is that I use to goto the school on the right as a kid and was always afraid of a train derailing in to our school yard)
That type of bridge is a must for this set; here's a very rough mockup of a plate girder bridge already in development: :)
plategirdermockup1.png
plategirdermockup1.png (105.01 KiB) Viewed 8676 times
Similar to what you're looking for, yes?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Andrew350 wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:BTW, I was thinking that one of the Steel bridges (Either the arch or girder bridge) could be replaced with one of those simple steel bridges you may see from time to time in North America.

That type of bridge is a must for this set; here's a very rough mockup of a plate girder bridge already in development: :)

plategirdermockup1.png

Similar to what you're looking for, yes?
Yeah I think that works, its nice to see my suggestion be tried. Though Some of the bridges I've seen the steel is mostly under the bridge and theres just simple railings for workers so they dont fall off onto the road or highways, I'm sure kids on that side of the yard wouldn't want to see a CP Rail worker get run over after falling off the bridge in that google street view link.

Still I think its pretty good, it be even nicer if OpenTTD let us made 1 tile bridges without foundations....

Another thing that could be done for this bridge set is make a bridge that is of a decent speed, but make it nearly invisable and maybe use NewObjects (like MariCo or Dutch Highway thiny) as an overlay for other bridges that you may want to include (perhaps even the most famous bridges that may not be possible with normal bridge graphics)

EDIT : Oh I should mention, the Steel Plate bridge should probably have plain concrete foundations as most bridges I've seen only use Concrete and steel (and usually have drainage holes that birds sometimes nest inside :P)
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

That looks great! Really like the rust on the sides.
Opan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Opan »

Those bridges look simply fantastic. That plate girder bridge looks beautiful. Definitely looking forward to being able to use them.

Another style I think would be cool to see, is an underslung truss, like the attached image of the rail bridge over the Nipigon river. Something kinda like what I just threw together here? Except obviously not my graphics since they kinda look crap but something similar..

Again great work!!
Attachments
truss.PNG
(2.27 MiB) Not downloaded yet
underslung.png
underslung.png (32.97 KiB) Viewed 8548 times
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

For the concrete bridge I imagine it'll look a lot like the very common and bland looking concrete bridges you see throughout north america.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Opan wrote:Another style I think would be cool to see, is an underslung truss, like the attached image of the rail bridge over the Nipigon river. Something kinda like what I just threw together here? Except obviously not my graphics since they kinda look crap but something similar..

Again great work!!
Thanks, I do have some ideas in mind for a bridge of that type, I want to include at least one for sure :). I started making one last year but never got far on it, probably going to try something else:
somestuff.png
somestuff.png (65.66 KiB) Viewed 8520 times
The other bridges there are just some rough concepts. The wooden one is obviously meant to be the counterpart to the wood trestle, but I'm not sure it looks 'interesting' enough. Wood road bridges are generally pretty plain though, and I think it needs wooden planks instead of asphalt. The others are just me messing around with a possible tubular replacement, obviously very rough. :)
NekoMaster wrote:Another thing that could be done for this bridge set is make a bridge that is of a decent speed, but make it nearly invisable and maybe use NewObjects (like MariCo or Dutch Highway thiny) as an overlay for other bridges that you may want to include (perhaps even the most famous bridges that may not be possible with normal bridge graphics)
Hmm, that's an interesting idea. Might be something to think about in case I run out of bridge slots :) (won't happen anytime soon)
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Andrew350 wrote:Thanks all for the compliments :)

STD wrote:And different types of American tunnels you plan to create?
I have no immediate plans to create new tunnels. Perhaps when/if RoadTypes are completed and more road tunnel types become possible I will look into it :)
Anyway thanks a lot for the development. Will wait for the first release of the set. Really want to try the game :D .
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Andrew350 wrote:I do have some ideas in mind for a bridge of that type,
A word of caution regarding bridges with under-deck structures ... The height of a pillar is 8px. That is the clearance required to ensure that vehicles passing below the bridge do not cause glitching. Currently there is no way to set a minimum height for a bridge. The best one can do is to have a newobject below the bridge where it is the object that has been coded to require a minimum height.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

I did think about this, I just figured it would be up to the player to decide when and where to place such bridges in a way that made sense, i.e. not over roads. I know that's a risk trusting players to understand such things, but like you said, there's no option to enforce certain height and I don't want that to stop me from including this style of bridge.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Andrew350 wrote:I did think about this, I just figured it would be up to the player to decide when and where to place such bridges in a way that made sense, i.e. not over roads. I know that's a risk trusting players to understand such things, but like you said, there's no option to enforce certain height and I don't want that to stop me from including this style of bridge.
Aye ... It's a similar situation with New Map Features and bridges over stations. It's caveat emptor all the way. :mrgreen:
dequire
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dequire »

Andrew350 wrote:That type of bridge is a must for this set; here's a very rough mockup of a plate girder bridge already in development: :)
Those truly look amazing! :)
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

So I put the wood decking on the wood road bridge and I think it really made a difference :) Only thing I can't decide on is whether to use the light shading or the dark. I like both, the lighter one seems more 'cheerful', but the darker one stands out more against the road, so I'm leaning towards the dark. What do you think?
woodenmockup4.png
woodenmockup4.png (50.83 KiB) Viewed 8303 times
woodenmockup3.png
woodenmockup3.png (50.32 KiB) Viewed 8303 times
==================

Also I had to make a minor change to the covered bridge because I forgot about the fact that bridge heads are just one sprite. When I tried to drive a vehicle through it the truck drove over the bridge, so I had to change that :P
Punnpool Transport, Mar 26th, 2077.png
Punnpool Transport, Mar 26th, 2077.png (40.25 KiB) Viewed 8303 times
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I like the dark. It helps separate it from the dirt road.

Return to “Graphics Development”