Timberwolf's UK Road Vehicles

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Dave

Re: Timberwolf's UK Road Vehicles

Post by Dave »

The best feedback I can give is that I can recognise a fair slab of these vehicles from your image without zooming into them - this is undeniably a Good Thing.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Recognise this one? Something a bit more modern than the Hancock...

I nearly lost it to a power cut, but luckily I'd saved just before the lights flickered. Version 20 now uploaded.
sevenfm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sevenfm »

Horses now look much better! Maybe a bit too speckled (too many different spots, especially bright), but that's just my taste.
Hancock Enterprise is really great, fills a niche of city bus in 19 century, as it is short and not articulated.
I am also interested if Hancock Enterprise was historically used also for mail transport or only for passengers?
As for early game balance, maybe increase the speed of stagecoach a bit (to 21-23 km/h), to differentiate it more from cargo carts?
Also, it would be nice to have option for purchase/maintenance cost modifier options (half/normal/double), just like in other good vehicle sets - it helps a lot when balancing together several sets. If you are making set in NML, it's just adding a few lines for basecosts modifier.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Timberwolf wrote:Recognise this one? Something a bit more modern than the Hancock...

I nearly lost it to a power cut, but luckily I'd saved just before the lights flickered. Version 20 now uploaded.
Nice :wink:
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Update 21 is the vans update... or to give it an alternative title, "how small can vehicles be before they're just a tiny mess of pixels?"

The answer, as it turns out: quite small.

Six new vans from the Ford Thames to the Ford Transit, for when your FIRS industries need engineering supplies, and need them quickly. Plus, in keeping with the "vans" theme, the Leyland Steam Van from 1897. For when you need engineering supplies... not so quickly.

The latest version is up on BaNaNaS now. Enjoy!
I am also interested if Hancock Enterprise was historically used also for mail transport or only for passengers?
Interestingly, Walter Hancock kept detail statistics of all his steam bus operations. Sadly the references to them I've seen suggest only passengers were carried - either Enterprise didn't carry post, or it did in such small volumes that Hancock didn't consider it worth mentioning.
sevenfm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sevenfm »

Leyland Steam Van is very nice! One question - was he really capable of transporting bulk cargo in this (van) configuration? I was more expecting him to carry only piece cargo like mail or goods.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Wow, looks like a nice set! Will have to use in my next UK game.
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Version 22 brings with it a few parameter changes. Firstly, the option for "Bob compatible" mode is gone. It had a few bugs with duplicate vehicles still showing up and vehicles that weren't part of Bob's set being removed, and maintaining it was becoming too much of a pain. More importantly, I think my set has moved on from its humble origins as a mere gap filler!

That's not the only thing going on in the configuration panel, and the requested parameters for tweaking purchase and running costs are now available. Each is adjustable from 0.25x to 32x.

Finally, because it wouldn't be a real update without a few new vehicles to play with, this one adds a small assortment of single deck buses, from a Sentinel steamer in 1924 to the Dennis Dart in the late '80s.

Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

Looking very good!

I was never really happy with BRBV, and this looks like a ideal replacement.

I still rather like my own bus set, so it would be nice if there was a parameter in this set to turn off the passenger vehicles. Having said that your buses look great and if this set gets more buses it might be the time to lay BBB to rest

OTTD has always really needed a proper British vehicles set so I'm very pleased to see this. Once I get back to playing it will be on my list of GRFS

Cheers

Bob
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Remarkable work :)) . I really like this set of vehicles. With pleasure it will add to the current list of GRF :wink: .
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Wow, a Leyland National. Nice!
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Bob_Mackenzie wrote:I still rather like my own bus set, so it would be nice if there was a parameter in this set to turn off the passenger vehicles. Having said that your buses look great and if this set gets more buses it might be the time to lay BBB to rest
Great suggestion - version 23 adds some parameters to control the various vehicle classes:

Those two options down the bottom? Well, I've been taking advantage of 2x zoom to add some even smaller vehicles -

I think this really is the limit now, short of doing the whole set at 4x zoom! They don't look horrible at normal zoom, but there definitely isn't much in the way of distinguishing features. (Not that there's a whole lot even zoomed in...)

There's a new bus too, which may be recognisable to anyone familiar with the bus stand just outside Tower Gateway in London.

Easter Egg, I'll leave you all to find out. But I had to have my real-life car in at least one game.

Finally, because it seemed wrong without the option, you can refit the two London cabs in either company colours or as a black cab using cargo subtypes:

Enjoy the latest! As usual, it's on BaNaNaS.
sevenfm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sevenfm »

Timberwolf, may I ask for a separate switch for early vehicles (horses+steam)?
Thank you!
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Sure! I was half-thinking I should separate out the horse-drawn vehicles at the point I was coding those switches - I'll add some more parameters for the next release.
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Nice drawings! May I ask about how you get yourself motivated? I sometimes draw a few views of a cetrain vehicle (I prefer 4x zoom, I like the amount of detail I can add), but it gets boring to do the others...
Timberwolf wrote: Easter Egg, I'll leave you all to find out. But I had to have my real-life car in at least one game.
Isn't the S40 only got the T4 engine? As far as I know it doesn't support 5 cylinder engines, T5 was in the 850/S70/S80.
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

colossal404 wrote:Isn't the S40 only got the T4 engine? As far as I know it doesn't support 5 cylinder engines, T5 was in the 850/S70/S80.
There are two generations: the first generation S40 based on the Mitsubishi Carisma platform, then the second generation based on the Ford Focus platform released in 2005. First-gen had a turbo 4 cylinder as the "performance" option, but on the second-gen Volvo and Ford created a 2.5l 5 cylinder turbo to use in the Focus ST and C30/S40/V50/C70 T5. (There's a slight difference in the engine mapping between the two: the Focus gets an extra 5bhp or so at the cost of some fuel economy)

To be really pedantic it's "a" T5 but not "the" T5, as it's a whole new block designed for compact installations rather than the high-pressure turbo 2.3 (later 2.4) that started in the 850 series.
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Update time... the parameter list is getting nice and full these days:

The requested toggles for horse-drawn vehicles and the early steam options are now in. While I was changing things I realised it felt a bit wrong that you could make trucks have their 56mph limiters fitted, but couldn't stop your vans and minicabs zipping about at 90mph+. There's now a parameter for those who prefer their small vehicles to keep on the right side of the law.

New for this update, I've added a Model T van in the early 20th century. There's also a Mercedes Citaro for a friend who used to live in Stratford back in the mid 2000s (the London one, not -upon-Avon) and wanted a reminder of the 25 bus. Plus we now have a Transport Tycoon classic, that unsung hero of early '90s school trips the Leyland Leopard.

Behind the scenes there are some bug fixes and a few sprites have been cleaned up - no more enormous glowing front bumper on the Leyland National!

Finally (but perhaps apt given the above discussion) it's a little thing but the S40 now gets its own unique five-cylinder growl whenever it sets off.
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Update 25 is now uploaded to BaNaNaS.

This update squashes some long-standing bugs with Octopus and Badger trucks having the wrong unloaded graphics for some cargoes. But perhaps more importantly, there's a bunch of new vehicles to play with:

A new Commer FC and Austin 10hp Utility round out the roster of vans so there's now a good selection throughout the 20th century. Early trucks also get a boost with a Sentinel DG4 and the Mammoth Major.

Finally the Optare Solo and Solo SR give you a couple of late-game buses for use on smaller, lower-demand routes.

Have fun!
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

Looking very good indeed. However the Austin 10hp looks rather large...

Return to “Graphics Development”