luxtram industries

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

luxtram industries

Post by luxtram »

I am creating graphics for the game based on the Luxembourg (and surroundings, as it is such a small place) and as such I am creating also graphics for distinctive industries.

All the uploaded graphics is released under GPLv2 in hopes that it would be also useful for others and in hopes that somebody else is also motivated to point out the mistakes I have made.
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: luxtram industries

Post by luxtram »

I am kickstarting the thread with small set of office buildings from the Kirchberg district where the body of European institutions and bank offices are located.
Kirchberg Offices
Kirchberg Offices
Kirchberg.png (30.35 KiB) Viewed 2997 times
Idea is to transport people, but as a lot of these buildings have cafeterias and restaurants on the ground level then other options are possible.
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

This is the IKEA store located in Belgium very close to the Luxembourg border and therefore you will see there also large number number of cars with Luxembourg number plates.
IKEA Arlon
IKEA Arlon
IKEA Arlon.png (17.77 KiB) Viewed 2997 times
This industry could accept goods but maybe also passengers.
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

This is small set of office buildings from the area close to the old town next to the central city bus station that is undergoing huge renovations.
Luxembourg City Offices
Luxembourg City Offices
Luxembourg Ville.png (15.63 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
I drew them as standalone buildings as they could be more useful like this but the main idea is to group them into bigger buildings with unified reworked roofs.
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Like the work you've done, pretty cool IKEA, I've also drawn one but based on the one in Delft.
All my projects are GPLv2 License.

Dutch landmark Object Set Workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75071
My stations workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74749
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Silverx50 wrote:Like the work you've done, pretty cool IKEA, I've also drawn one but based on the one in Delft.
Can we see and use it? :)
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Can i use both of your ikea in my BRIndustry set?
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Leanden wrote:Can i use both of your ikea in my BRIndustry set?
Yes, sure. You could also modify it to satisfy your needs better as stated in the first post, all these graphics is released under GPL version 2.

Especially you could add a bit of more texture to the roof. :wink:

And perhaps you want to change the size of the building a little or move the stuff around, so I also included the GIMP files I used to create IKEA graphics.
Attachments
IKEA.xcf
IKEA text GIMP file
(53.15 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
IKEA sign.xcf
IKEA sign GIMP file
(22.79 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
IKEA Arlon.xcf
IKEA building GIMP file
(340.69 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Downloaded the files luxtram, thats really nice, but is there anyway you can split these up into single tiles for the purpose of coding?
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Leanden wrote:Downloaded the files luxtram, thats really nice, but is there anyway you can split these up into single tiles for the purpose of coding?
I am in the phase of producing a some small body of graphics to work on later. Also I think that it would need some little tweaking, texturing.

Still I would not mind if somebody steps forward to do it.

I am currently doing a brewery and a bigger office building. If I am finished with them, I will look into coding issues.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Its not coding issues so much, the sprites need to be split up into 1 tile blocks as far as my understanding goes.
ColdIce
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ColdIce »

I love the Ikea building. I would love to use that in a new object mode.
keep up the good work.
The rest is confetti!
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Industries are usually placed on spritesheets with a format similar to this:
aluminium_plant_1 copy.png
aluminium_plant_1 copy.png (11.17 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
That means slicing up buildings that are larger than 1 tile (for example, the large ore shed for the aluminium plant). Strictly this isn't necessary at all, the sprite crop box can be defined in code without physically chopping the graphics up, but it's the established convention.

To my taste industries also look better if they're made up of 1 tile buildings which when combined look like a complex dense industry, rather than drawing large multi-tile buildings. This also makes it much easier to provide multiple industry layouts. Others may disagree. Example below :)
tyre_plant_1.png
tyre_plant_1.png (7.69 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
tyre_plant.png
tyre_plant.png (20.05 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

andythenorth wrote:To my taste industries also look better if they're made up of 1 tile buildings which when combined look like a complex dense industry, rather than drawing large multi-tile buildings. This also makes it much easier to provide multiple industry layouts.
I think you are right and this method could be also applied here (to a degree). I will look into it when I return to this building. This is actually exactly what I had in mind with the city offices. Just did not consider to use it here, but it might allow to introduce more configurations and I am all for variability.

Also I welcome any suggestion about shading (to make it look less flat) as I am a quite a beginner in this.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Strictly this isn't necessary at all, the sprite crop box can be defined in code without physically chopping the graphics up, but it's the established convention.
I agree with the first part, it is not necessary to cut the graphics up. This makes life for graphics-artists a lot easier (but also for coders a bit more difficult, except when using templates), so maybe more nice graphics will be made. It is easier sometimes to draw a complete building then drawing up segments and combining them (where sometimes, with the combining, some graphic details that may have been worked on for a long time will not be visible anymore. Drawing a complete building is more time-efficient).
I dont agree with the latter part, it was kind of "established" to provide single-tile elements, but I think that was mainly because industries can have different lay-outs. If you choose to make an industry with a single possible lay-out, why waste time in cutting up graphics?
However, I must say, that modular parts make it easier for object-developers to change industry-parts into new-objects. So, a kind request to industry-artists, keep in mind that for eyecandy expansions of your industries some complete single tile elements would be nice. But those can be provided as separate graphics, not a part of the graphic used by the GRF. Just as a nice gesture to object-developers :wink:
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Perhaps Quast you can give me some assistance in this area then, ive yet to code any newobjects or industries, but the concept of a single graphic spread over several tiles scares me :P
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Leanden wrote:Perhaps Quast you can give me some assistance in this area then, ive yet to code any newobjects or industries, but the concept of a single graphic spread over several tiles scares me :P
The trick is using templates. Decide first how many tiles the industry/object will use. Then draw a template using only flat tiles (make sure you can make out the individual tiles), the floorplan so to say with the correct hight in transparent blue necessary for that building. Code that (various coding examples can be found in other threads) and check if the floortiles are in the correct space. Then just copy/paste the building on the template, thats it.

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

To slice a large building, the idea would be that instead of blue boxes spaced by white (dead) space, just draw the blue box round the whole building, and code 64px wide realsprites, with x position incrementing by 64px for each sprite from left to right.

Probably easier to draw than describe eh? :P

I don't do it that way :D
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Quast65 wrote:
Leanden wrote:Perhaps Quast you can give me some assistance in this area then, ive yet to code any newobjects or industries, but the concept of a single graphic spread over several tiles scares me :P
The trick is using templates. Decide first how many tiles the industry/object will use. Then draw a template using only flat tiles (make sure you can make out the individual tiles), the floorplan so to say with the correct hight in transparent blue necessary for that building. Code that (various coding examples can be found in other threads) and check if the floortiles are in the correct space. Then just copy/paste the building on the template, thats it.
I have similar question question but slightly in another direction.

Would it be possible to combine multiple irregular sprites into single object in NML?

For example if you consider the third building from the first (Kirchberg) set, then it could be separated into 4 objects (big block with normal windows, entrance, block with shades and top of the building). Separating these sprites would allow in theory slightly more versions of this building but they will not fit exactly one tile.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I may not really understand exactly what you mean, but I think in that case you will have to work in the "old-fashioned" way.
So drawing individual one-tile elements that can be rearranged in various ways via code.

Return to “Graphics Development”