[OTTD] BRIndustry - Development Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] BRIndustry - Development Thread

Post by Leanden »

Ive just had a crazy idea. Via another option from that parametet have a modular mode.

All the industries go away and you just have a 1x1 industry you can place for each of the industries in the BR chain to represent the loading bays for example, this would then activate a series of new objects with single industry tiles so people can modularly build each industry. This would be an extreme mode for those who like customisation of the appearence of their games but wont really be suitable for standard play.

Might even do this as a seperate newgrf :)
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

Leanden wrote:Ive just had a crazy idea. Via another option from that parametet have a modular mode.

All the industries go away and you just have a 1x1 industry you can place for each of the industries in the BR chain to represent the loading bays for example, this would then activate a series of new objects with single industry tiles so people can modularly build each industry. This would be an extreme mode for those who like customisation of the appearence of their games but wont really be suitable for standard play.

Might even do this as a seperate newgrf :)
:bow:
That sounds AWESOME.
I'd be really interested in playing with that!
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

And the obvious thing here is that you could line up the "loading bays" to increase the output of the industry :)
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Ive got a good idea for a replacement of goods drive through stations that make them look like loading bays too, just unfortunate the lorries will always face the wrong way :(
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

As part of the new objects i hope to add various landmarks too.

Would these look better on a 2x2 or a 1x1?? Also i'm a terrible artist so if anyone has better versions of these buildings then let me know :)
Attachments
London Skyline.jpg
London Skyline.jpg (88.05 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

you just have a 1x1 industry you can place for each of the industries in the BR chain to represent the loading bays for example, this would then activate a series of new objects with single industry tiles so people can modularly build each industry. This would be an extreme mode for those who like customisation of the appearence of their games but wont really be suitable for standard play.
I would also really like that! I am one of those control-freaks that build up a scenario from scratch. Currently I am working on changing an existing scenario of the Netherlands, so that the cities just appear as a single tile crossroads.
I then expand the cities exactly how I would like them to expand (with buildings I would like to have at certain areas), by repeatly switching from save-game to scenario-editor.
Having industries as single tiles will make my inner control freak even happier, as I could have total control about the appearance and lay-out of my industries too.
But, indeed, this might be better as a separate GRF...
As part of the new objects i hope to add various landmarks too.
A first suggestion is to make that a seperate GRF, give players the choice to use them or not.
And, trust me, these kinds of GRFs go very fast towards the maximum number of IDs in a single GRF, one just keeps adding and adding, its addictive ;-) Before you know it, you dont have any room anymore to add industries ;-)

Regarding the graphics... Well I maybe am a pixel-art purist, so sorry for being a bit harsh, but I absolutely dislike 3d-images being converted to Openttd, I think those kind of things are very ugly and look completely out of place in the Openttd-environment... The scale most of the times is wrong, shading isnt right and perspectives are off (for example some of those tall buildings become narrower towards the ground, that is completely wrong for the Openttd-perspective). But that is just my personal opinion...
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Ohhh these arent meant to be the graphics, i'm going to try and draw those properly, this was just a mockup to decide whether they should be 1x1 or 2x2 for skyscrapers/towers.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Leanden wrote:Ohhh these arent meant to be the graphics, i'm going to try and draw those properly, this was just a mockup to decide whether they should be 1x1 or 2x2 for skyscrapers/towers.
Very happy to hear that! And I look forward to what you (or others collaborating with you) may be able to come up with.
With regard to 1x1 or 2x2, difficult to say... Maybe try out the mockups ingame and see how they fit/look. There are no exact agreements on scaling AFAIK, to me it is more important how they look/feel in a game.

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
The Growl
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by The Growl »

It's official, someone needs to make Britain in OpenTTD.
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Leanden wrote:As part of the new objects i hope to add various landmarks too.

Would these look better on a 2x2 or a 1x1?? Also i'm a terrible artist so if anyone has better versions of these buildings then let me know :)
My personal preference is to keep floor heights consistent with the rest of the buildings i.e. 6-7 pixels per floor. I tend to find too compacted buildings odd in the game and I am not using them (for example Empire State building from flogeza).

So the two buildings on the right would definitely look better on the 2x2 tile.

I understand also that one diamond on the London Gherkin fits 4 floors, so again it would be better to have it on the 2x2 tile.
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

The Growl wrote:It's official, someone needs to make Britain in OpenTTD.

Oh im millions of miles ahead of you, ive been making a britain map for nearly 10 years.
The Growl
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by The Growl »

Leanden wrote:
The Growl wrote:It's official, someone needs to make Britain in OpenTTD.

Oh I'm millions of miles ahead of you, I've been making a Britain map for nearly 10 years.
I'll be interested to see final results! Oh and about the city buildings, aside from St Mary's, they don't look too great. It's like a sort of low resolution photo. The size would be best where it looks to scale of other buildings. Maybe we could see them both in towns?
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Indeed the Gherkin is probably the only one that will actually make it into the game. I need to get it coded and see how well it fits :)
Attachments
Gherkin.jpg
Gherkin.jpg (41.15 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

With the shard being the tallest building to go into the set, in order to fit within the 255 pixel limit and keep everything in scale, itll work out around 3.5 pixels per floor, this would make the Gherkin 140 pixels high so the 1x1 is plenty for that building :)
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I haven't been exploring other peoples projects for a while .. been wrapped doing my own.

Love what your doing to the Industries.

The large Industries look great especially when your making them like real life ones.

The 1x1 idea nice too .. and making object tiles to mix and match. Something similar I been doing with my Auzind and Auz Objects sets. making them so people can make them how they wish.

I think make them a basic size whether it 1x1, 2x2, 2x3 or whatever and have your objects sets to match and allow these to be expended to how people like.

The Combined Sprite Tiles Quast65 and started doing for objects I been converting so can also use with Industries. Only done the 2x2 and 2x3 at moment but intend to do other sizes. Not sure what the largest should be, but sizes from 1x2 up to 4x5 should be ample. That's my project for awhile.

Cheers pal
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Thanks Garry, been intently watching your stuff too :)

Ok which of these Gherkin's looks better and more suitable to the game aesthetics?
Attachments
Gherkin.jpg
Gherkin.jpg (21.62 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Just had a look at pictures of it on internet .. some show the blueish and some show the darker look. Even seen a green one.

But I think blue looks nicer and stands out more.

Wish I could draw that good .. all my drawings start from what someone else has done and I just change a few things.

Cheers
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

The left one is a GPL released model from another user and the right hand one is a resized palletized image of the real life gherkin taken from an isometric viewpoint.

I didnt draw either of these :P

Also a mockup of the shard in 3x2 and 2x3. (Obviously needs redrawing)
Attachments
Shard.jpg
Shard.jpg (33.24 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Leanden wrote:Ok which of these Gherkin's looks better and more suitable to the game aesthetics?
To me, the left one, but with the shading the other way around. Dark side should be on the left, light side on the right.
EDIT: And to be honest, you are losing a lot of details reducing it that much in size right now... Maybe it is possible to reduce it a bit, so the hight still looks good in OpenTTD environment, but that it still has to be on a 2x2, but in that case add some interesting eyecandy on the ground.
Last edited by Quast65 on 10 Jun 2016 01:27, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Graphics Development”