[OTTD] BRIndustry - Development Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: [OTTD] BRIndustry - Development Thread

Post by Alberth »

luxtram wrote: do not have the time to paint all of them by myself, so the next best thing I could do is to convince others to not deviate too much from my own vision.
What makes your vision more valuable from a person investing time and effort into a project?
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Alberth wrote:
luxtram wrote: do not have the time to paint all of them by myself, so the next best thing I could do is to convince others to not deviate too much from my own vision.
What makes your vision more valuable from a person investing time and effort into a project?
Exactly. It is not more valuable or special.

I am just doing it in the hope that it would make sense for the others too and the graphics I am doing (viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74911 viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74818) and somebody else is doing would fit nice together (see the comparison between IKEA and Gherkin above for an example) and create more value (and yes, of course people could still fit them together and be happy about it even when I am not and this is naturally also ok for me).

PS. I am sorry that it is getting wildly offtopic.
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Well i put this to you Luxtram, i am no artist, so i am relying on the art work of others and I add my coding expertise to it, so if you want to draw the Gherkin or any other UK landmarks then fire away and I will include them, the only one that isnt free to be worked on is The Shard as thats already been shotgunned by Silverx50.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

To come back a tiny bit more on-topic... ;-)
Regarding the 255 pixel hight. I am also a bit curious about the hight planes fly on... Havent tried it out yet by placing a higher than 255 building on a flightroute, but maybe some issues could arise with that too (planes flying through the building)... Or maybe not, in that case no worries... Have to test this out...
If not, I personally do not have any problems with high buildings glitching a bit at the top.

EDIT:
Example52.png
Example52.png (41.68 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
It does look like that planes fly at about the 255 pixel hight...
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Quast65 wrote:To come back a tiny bit more on-topic... ;-)
Regarding the 255 pixel hight. I am also a bit curious about the hight planes fly on...
It does look like that planes fly at about the 255 pixel hight...
I have been thinking about this too ... and I think that it should not discourage people to create buildings higher than 255 pixels.

First, it would be possible to plan the high buildings around the air routes (of course only when they are placeable objects).

Second, if there are no desirable higher buildings, then there is also no motivation to alter the aircraft flying height.

So it is kind of the chicken and egg problem and it seems to me that this time there would be no chicken without the egg coming out first. :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

luxtram wrote:First, it would be possible to plan the high buildings around the air routes
That won't be possible unless OpenTTD devs adopt and implement an aircraft waypoint patch, so that routes can be predictably flown. Until then the game will route airplanes by the shortest, most economical path, which can change at any time.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I dont have a problem with it, but one should take it into account (maybe put a warning in the do-not-read-me file ;-) ).
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

kamnet wrote:
luxtram wrote:First, it would be possible to plan the high buildings around the air routes
That won't be possible unless OpenTTD devs adopt and implement an aircraft waypoint patch, so that routes can be predictably flown. Until then the game will route airplanes by the shortest, most economical path, which can change at any time.
Well, what I meant was that you could put your higher buildings out of the routes (or you position your airports accordingly). If there is no need for the plane to fly over the city then it could not fly into a building. This is of course a limitation, as it would then limit your route possibilities. I would not call it ideal, but it would mean that there are some options to game the game. :)

Return to “Graphics Development”