VACE: VTOL AirCraft for Everyone (formerly VTOLs and Fictional VTOLs)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DerekCZ
Engineer
Engineer

Re: VACE: VTOL AirCraft for Everyone (formerly VTOLs and Fictional VTOLs)

Post by DerekCZ »

Gentlemen, that's just awesome :D This is the first good graphic actualy focusing on future gameplay.
ezzeqiel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ezzeqiel »

Wow. Great newgrf. Thank you !!

I'm very excited about the new high capacity vessel.

On that subject I was thinking in this (boeing prototype):

The wingspan should be equal or similar to the A380, however the passenger capacity would be tripled, since you have much more usable space. (the whole wing can carry passengers, not just the tube).

I imagine two versions, between 1500-2500 pax, with decent speeds. Maybe mach 1.5.

Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

ezzeqiel wrote:On that subject I was thinking in this (boeing prototype):

The wingspan should be equal or similar to the A380, however the passenger capacity would be tripled, since you have much more usable space. (the whole wing can carry passengers, not just the tube).

I imagine two versions, between 1500-2500 pax, with decent speeds. Maybe mach 1.5.
But I thought this project was dedicated to aircraft with vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) capability. If it's all about high capacity aircraft, it can maybe fit in some other aircraft project?
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Sylf wrote:
ezzeqiel wrote:On that subject I was thinking in this (boeing prototype):

But I thought this project was dedicated to aircraft with vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) capability. If it's all about high capacity aircraft, it can maybe fit in some other aircraft project?
Yeah, I'm only adding VTOL aircraft. Real life intruded, so I haven't touched this in a few weeks, but I'm going to be adding at least one future high capacity VTOL. I haven't really figured out what the stopping point is for this NewGRF yet. I've been playing a few games with them in place and I see some areas for improvement to provide some better upgrade paths. Right now the aircraft from 1965 to 1979 are all pretty similar with no decent trade-offs between them.
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Just a quick update. I was on extended leave from work which let me crank out the first release of VACE pretty quickly, but I'm back in the office now, which means further development will be pretty slow. It will continue, though.
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

https://pressmagazine.com/2016/02/12/th ... lander-10/
Can we have this girl included in the set please ,would suit long haul cargo very well I think .As it carries modules ,this can be open to the imagination of the graphic artist for example tankers for liquid,refrigerated containers for food ,roll on/off for the vehicles and so on .Liveries ,well she is a big girl plenty of space for some creativity .My suggestion would be a steampunk variation .
One grf Suggestion that I would like to see is a new airport layout for this aircraft set ,Im sure this can be added to opengfx airports + layouts ,modify the Heliport { muliti towers at each corner of a airport } or a update for the fake airport grf to include docking masts/towers ,large hangers after all she is a big girl ,and the grf of the aircraft herself .
Thanks for the great set look forward to seeing more development from you ,when you get the time .
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Might not be a good idea - it just crashed ;)

As to putting it in the set, its a good idea, but I'm afraid my drawing skills aren't up to the challenge. Something like this really needs to be done using a 3D rendering tool first. I haven't gotten that far yet in my technical explorations. If I do get that figured out, I'll definitely look at something like this for the set.

That is, unless someone else wants to draw it - I'm happy to include others artwork :)
DerekCZ
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DerekCZ »

so... what?
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I'm not having much luck drawing a stainless steel rocket.
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I'm going to do a little work on this. Probably no new aircraft yet, unless I get some drawings figured out. The prices are too high right now, and the ranges are too large when compared to AV8. Anyone have any feedback on any other changes they'd like to see?
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

This is a great concept for a set. My only problem with it is the aircraft acceleration seems too high compared to av8. VTOLs transition very slowly from vertical to horizontal flight and vice versa to maintain stability. Traditional helicopters accelerate much faster. Other than that, it's great!
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Diesel Power wrote:This is a great concept for a set. My only problem with it is the aircraft acceleration seems too high compared to av8. VTOLs transition very slowly from vertical to horizontal flight and vice versa to maintain stability. Traditional helicopters accelerate much faster. Other than that, it's great!
That's a good idea. I'll see if I can figure it out. I'm also adding purchase and running cost parameters to let the player choose how pricy a VTOL should be. And I've come up with a new fictional line of future VTOLs that shouldn't challenge my drawing skills too much. No ETA yet, but it's in progress.
reyasem
Engineer
Engineer

Post by reyasem »

Hi everyone.

Uh, is there a way to lower the running cost for these lovely aircrafts? I love using em but the running cost really forces me to think twice and in the end, I only use like two or three, which is a pity because i really love the design.
bungus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bungus »

Hey there, I have forked this to hopefully give this aircraft set the love it deserves. So far I have added the dragonfly ornithopter into the main grf (with a toggle to enable), balanced the running and purchase costs, and added a rangeless mode. I also fixed the ornithopter's animated colors, but I want to add that back in as a livery at some point.

Thank you for creating this :)

https://github.com/therealbungus/VACE

Return to “Graphics Development”