VACE: VTOL AirCraft for Everyone (formerly VTOLs and Fictional VTOLs)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: VACE: VTOL AirCraft for Everyone (formerly VTOLs and Fictional VTOLs)

Post by oftcrash »

Changed the name to VACE and published it to bananas. See first post for details.
JeromWaarom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JeromWaarom »

Nice work on the sprites, Oftcrash! :D I myself am still struggling to figure the pixel tool out.
placeholder signature until I have something better to show here
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

JeromWaarom wrote:Nice work on the sprites, Oftcrash! :D I myself am still struggling to figure the pixel tool out.
Thanks! I started with buses and trucks, since they are simpler. Then I tried out aircraft. I mostly used dimensions of 64x16x64 to accommodate the wingspans and the rotating engine pods, though a couple smaller ones use 48x12x48.

Here's the Dornier Do31 JSON.
dornier-do-31.txt
Dornier Do31 JSON for PixelTool
(138.72 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
JeromWaarom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JeromWaarom »

oftcrash wrote:
JeromWaarom wrote:Nice work on the sprites, Oftcrash! :D I myself am still struggling to figure the pixel tool out.
Thanks! I started with buses and trucks, since they are simpler. Then I tried out aircraft. I mostly used dimensions of 64x16x64 to accommodate the wingspans and the rotating engine pods, though a couple smaller ones use 48x12x48.

Here's the Dornier Do31 JSON.
dornier-do-31.txt
No problem! :D

Thanks for the JSON code, it really helped to get an image of how the editor works!
placeholder signature until I have something better to show here
paulicus25
Engineer
Engineer

Post by paulicus25 »

Hey Guys

Question: Does this set have a minimum required version of OpenTTD? As the set does not appear in bananas for me like is stated in opening post and there's no direct download for the .grf in the forums so currently I am unable to download. I had assumed this was due to version. I am working off of a modified client based on r27500.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

paulicus25 wrote:Hey Guys

Question: Does this set have a minimum required version of OpenTTD? As the set does not appear in bananas for me like is stated in opening post and there's no direct download for the .grf in the forums so currently I am unable to download. I had assumed this was due to version. I am working off of a modified client based on r27500.
I can confirm. I suspect it is because a minimum OpenTTD version was selected which precluded nightlies.

Direct link: http://binaries.openttd.org/bananas/new ... n-4.tar.gz

Unpack the .tar file from the .gzip archive, drop it into your NewGRF folder. Enjoy!
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I believe its set to 1.6.0. Technically I don't think there's any reason why it wouldn't work for an earlier version, that just happened to be the version I was on when I was putting it together.
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

paulicus25 wrote:Hey Guys

I added the GRF to the opening post so you can download directly.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

oftcrash wrote:I believe its set to 1.6.0. Technically I don't think there's any reason why it wouldn't work for an earlier version, that just happened to be the version I was on when I was putting it together.
It will work in earlier versions, but because you set the minimum version number on BaNaNaS to 1.6.0, then nightlies and older versions of OpenTTD won't see it via in-game content download. Minimum version should be set to the oldest version that your NFO/NML specs will run on.
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I'm not sure which features became available when. I'm using the latest NML release (not nightlies), but as to specific features, I didn't delve into all the release notes to see if I did anything too cutting edge (I doubt it - I'm still pretty novice).
DerekCZ
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DerekCZ »

First: This is the best heli replacement set there is, thanks for that :) Second: Is it possible to add some fictional high-capacity VTOL that would basicaly have larger capacity than A380 from WAS mod, maybe like 1000 passengers? I know it sounds ridiculous, but why not add it just like the dragonfly thingy into separate grf? Bcz when I play, I usualy focus on one city, and when the city overcomes 100K population, even my int'l airport gets flooded very quickly and my only hope are those two unused "H" platforms. I bet there are many people who would make great use of that large VTOL.

EDIT: It could be like some kind of endgame element, costing milions and milions of dollars to buy
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

SPolygon wrote:First: This is the best heli replacement set there is, thanks for that :) Second: Is it possible to add some fictional high-capacity VTOL that would basicaly have larger capacity than A380 from WAS mod, maybe like 1000 passengers? I know it sounds ridiculous, but why not add it just like the dragonfly thingy into separate grf? Bcz when I play, I usualy focus on one city, and when the city overcomes 100K population, even my int'l airport gets flooded very quickly and my only hope are those two unused "H" platforms. I bet there are many people who would make great use of that large VTOL.

EDIT: It could be like some kind of endgame element, costing milions and milions of dollars to buy
Thanks! :)

That's not a bad idea. I'll see what I can come up with. Maybe something for ~2040. High capacity, but with a trade off in speed.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Here you go, a fictionalized Finnair A1700. http://web.archive.org/web/201005221408 ... s/3/?id=39

• Passenger seats 1,700–2,400
• Length 118.30 m
• Width 98.70 m
• Height 32.60 m
• Maximum take-off weight 422,000 kg
• Cruising speed 160–750 km/h
• Maximum cruising level 14,800 m
• Runway length when taking off 2,100 m
• Runway length when landing 1,300 m
• Flying range 21,600 km

ENGINES
• Take-off power along runway 7 x 530 kN
• Take-off power vertically 12 x 850 kN
• Take-off speed along runway 210 km/h
• Landing speed along runway 165 km/h
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Quick first pass. Its a little too small for the intended capacity, so I'll need to scale it up.
flying-saucer.png
flying-saucer.png (5.09 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Yes, really should be something at least the size of a Zeppelin. In real life, the Airbus 380-800 is certified to hold 835 passengers and fits the same size profile as the Hughes H-4 Hercules, the Antonov An-225 Mriya, and a Boeing 747-8.
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Scaled up version
flying-saucer-lg.png
flying-saucer-lg.png (18.44 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

kamnet wrote:Seems too flat to me, but it does look like it's starting to take more space.
I think I've been playing too much frisbee with my kid :)

I lost the original voxel file, so I'll have to start over on it (browser crash). I hate curves. This is one of those times it might be easier to start with a 3D render.

Return to “Graphics Development”