Baseset "abase" (codename) - fork of zBase 32bpp graphics set.

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Re: Baseset "aBase" (codename) - fork of zBase 32bpp graphics set.

Post by kamnet »

supermop wrote:If you are not familiar with modern high speed trains, does that tgv shaped thing say "train" to you?
I was thinking this myself. I'd prefer to see a steam loco. But I'm not complaining, if we stick with the TVG here, I'm fine. It's a nice render.
lukasz1985
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by lukasz1985 »

@Alberth.
Well I guess the circle is unnecessary there (it even breaks the consistency with the rest of toolbar buttons being rectangless), I'll throw it away.

@supermop and @kamnet
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I've said I'm not happy with vehicles, and the reason why I called it "95%" done. Honestly I never liked the look of zBase trains and this is just a quick render of one of these. These four buttons are subject to change in the future, when I'll get to the vehicles (though now I actually think of manually tracing a vehicle to a vector image to get some simpler, yet apealing look). I'll probably stick to modern vehicles in the buttons - it seems to me to be a more reasonable approach.

About release - I'll repeat it here, that I'm having issue while uploadng to Bananas through the web interface. I don't know if I'm right, but if my memory serves me good - there was a thread somewhere about some kind of python script that could do the upload, maybe that's the right way to go?
Last edited by lukasz1985 on 11 May 2016 09:04, edited 1 time in total.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

lukasz1985 wrote: About release - I'll repeat it here, that I'm having issue while uploadng to Bananas through the web interface. I don't know if I'm right, but my memory serves me good - there was a thread somewhere about some kind of python script that could do the upload, maybe that's the right way to go?
Yes, given the size of the file(s), upload via http does not work.
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=63119
lukasz1985
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by lukasz1985 »

Thanks plantemaker, that's exactly what I've been thinking about (but somehow couldn't get the name of that from the top of my head).
lukasz1985
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by lukasz1985 »

So the set should be now available in Bananas. Here is how the toolbar looks finally (I gave it a shot and made vehicle icons in Inkscape): Image
Attachments
toolbar_final.png
toolbar_final.png (52.1 KiB) Viewed 968 times
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Looks great! Train now looks like a train rather than a toaster!
lukasz1985
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by lukasz1985 »

Haha, yeah, it looked like kind of a toaster.
lukasz1985
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by lukasz1985 »

Also, here's a gif that shows the "before and after" for your convenience:
Attachments
toolbar_changes.gif
toolbar_changes.gif (34.08 KiB) Viewed 968 times
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Looks terrific :bow:

May I suggest before going the traditional way of trying to update everything else before the GUI, you work on the GUI, meaning the rest of the icons...

Because apart from the main toolbar, every other icon as far as I know has yet to be done! :D
lukasz1985
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by lukasz1985 »

Yup, actually I'm considering that, and I guess that now I will take heading towards the minimap buttons and fonts :)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

lukasz1985 wrote:Yup, actually I'm considering that, and I guess that now I will take heading towards the minimap buttons and fonts :)
Fonts do not need any 32bpp touch. They're monochromatic.
lukasz1985
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by lukasz1985 »

I know, I'm talking about finding out a different font at all.
lukasz1985
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by lukasz1985 »

Minimap and it's buttons: (some graphics were reused, and some sprites appear the same as in the toolbar - those which are reused by the game itself)
Attachments
minimap.png
minimap.png (44.81 KiB) Viewed 4338 times
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Game font can be changed globally in OpenTTD config file, this will also change it inside minimap.
Android release uses Roboto font, because it supports multiple languages, and also smoother than built-in OpenTTD raster fonts.
If you use 32bpp color mode, fonts should be antialiased by default, which will make them look 10x better. And if they are not, set these variables in your config file:

Code: Select all

small_aa = true
medium_aa = true
large_aa = true
mono_aa = true
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

I think I exagerrated it - 8pt TTF font doesn't look all that good compared to fixed fonts, after zooming the screenshot. 10pt font looks fine though.
Attachments
tmp_7142-20160513_220231-1349022568.png
(238.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

pelya wrote:Game font can be changed globally in OpenTTD config file, this will also change it inside minimap.(...)
For these reasons pelya mentions (it's really hard to make raster fonts which look well everywhere), I suggest to rather focus on other parts first - those which cannot be easily solved by choosing a true type system font. Mind, you should not change the height of the sprite fonts, you can at best provide additional sprites for 2x and 4x zoom for the glyphs.
lukasz1985
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by lukasz1985 »

Well, I am (or actually "will be") tryng to solve the problem of the default, tiny font, the OpenGFX's part of zBase provides.

There's some confusion really for me to the terms. I guess that by saying "sprite fonts" you say - fonts that appear in the viewport (as signs, stations and city names).

Actually I would like to take the burden of selecting fonts through config file of off the user (because, the current minimap font is almost indiscernible).
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Sprite fonts are bitmap or raster fonts. They look great when font size is tiny, but when you increase font size, they look pixelated.
TTF or TrueType fonts are vector fonts, you can resize them for any screen resolution, but they do not look very good for very small font size.
Antialiasing is only done for TTF fonts, it will fill some pixels with semi-transparent color, so font edges look smooth, it's especially noticeable when resolution is small and pixels are big.

In OpenTTD, users can specify TTF font in config file, this will replace ALL sprite fonts in the game with this TTF font, including viewport, signs, stations, and city names.

And if you want to play the game in some language other than English or Italian, you HAVE to use TTF fonts, because sprite fonts include only English alphabet and nothing else.

So any non-English-speaking user will override all your font pixel art with some Comic Sans they got from their Windows installation.

So my advice is to not spend your time on this.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

pelya wrote: And if you want to play the game in some language other than English or Italian, you HAVE to use TTF fonts, because sprite fonts include only English alphabet and nothing else.
No, that's not true. Most latin-based characters are provdeded by openttd.grf and OpenGFX. So you will have no problem when playing in a locale which uses latin alphabet. Our base grfs do not provide any glyphs for languages which use characters which are not latin-based (greek, cyrillic, any Asian language...)
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Yes, and if there's à, ü or ç in the text, OpenTTD will use system font for it, and that symbol will stick out like a sore thumb.

Return to “Graphics Development”