[OTTD] BRTrains - Development Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [OTTD] BRTrains - A British Railways Set in NML

Post by TheAmir259 »

I'm quite new to this forum but not really for the game. I did download tons of NewGRFs including this one, I liked the fact that this one had that Intercity 125 with coaches (as if a full trainset already). I also installed UKRS2 & BROS, but both had none that this one had that satisfies me. However, what unsatisfies me is that they won't run on full speed. My trains would struggle at 162km/h and not accelerating forward to 200. Why is this so anyway? Also, another thing is the rate of reliability loss. I'd like to address that because it's a serious issue for my map. Most of my rolling stocks are from BROS as a result of their good performances, doing at least 2 trips back and forth in a 512x512 map, in which they'd service themself when they'd reach 50% reliability. But this one could just do 1 trip, and that's at most, 1 trip which includes a going and returning trip. When they needed to repair, their reliability was 25% left. I'm not really critisizing this much because there are more NewGRFs with way worse rolling stocks but i'm not gonna mention that. A suggestion from me is that you modify their speed in that each train or locomotive would go at their highest achievable speed, for example a Eurostar could reach 334km/h (I know Eurostar is not in this pack, just an example) and so you set that highest achievable speed onto the train instead of their operational speed or designed speed because i do love to play around with the timetables and so did set a speed limit but when they're off to servicing and carrying no passengers, i assigned them to go at their max speed. This would at least make it more realistic.
You can also find me at Reddit. Check out my OpenTTD Screenshots & Savefiles!
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Hi TheAmir,

Thanks for the feedback, referring back to earlier feedback from other users i will be addressing the speed issue later this week.

The reliability is frankly something i havent tested at all, mainly because i play with breakdowns disabled so i dont even notice it, but i will look at this the same time i update the speed issue.

(Ironically the BROS set is one i was involved in, and the eurostar you referenced in your chunnel post was the train i drew :wink: )

Thanks
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

I also love to play with breakdowns off, but the reason why i was commenting on it was that my settings for servicing is different. Despite breakdowns off, i love to see them go servicing, makes it looks realistic. Anyway, when my trains reached a terminus, they would go to a depot complex which is located in one area and when i bought like 20 of the unreliable trains, many of them would storm the depot and jam up the tracks leading to the depot. I wanted only some to enter the depot at a time which could be solved by having lower rate of reliability loss. That's all, I'm not pressuring you to solve it quickly though because I'm doing fine even with just BROS rolling stocks only. If you fixed it I'll be more happy and switch some to BRTrains rolling stocks.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

This is now fixed in version 0.1.0 which is now available on Bananas.

Several fixes in this version:

1) Air Drag Coefficient has been adjusted globally to allow trains to reach their maximum speeds in Realistic Acceleration Models.
2) Diagonal offsets have been corrected so that the trains sit on the rails instead of riding on the ballast.
3) Reliability Decay has been reduced by 65% so that the trains can run longer between services.

Please do test these changes and let me know what you think.
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Leanden wrote:This is now fixed in version 0.1.0 which is now available on Bananas.

1) Air Drag Coefficient has been adjusted globally to allow trains to reach their maximum speeds in Realistic Acceleration Models.
2) Diagonal offsets have been corrected so that the trains sit on the rails instead of riding on the ballast.
3) Reliability Decay has been reduced by 65% so that the trains can run longer between services.

The no.2 is only realised when i saw your signatures, which that picture i can see already it's off centered. I'll try it out later. I primarily play on the Android and now it's version 1.6.0.61.
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

So I've tested it out. Luckily I got a looping test track for me to test it, on a map with a lot of money to finance testing programs for trains.

So here's my depot

Here's my test track

So I did ran it for a loop. It went off the depot with 79% reliability, stopped due to some traffic and then ran again for the speedtest. I found out that she performed worse than before, now struggling at 159 & 160 instead of 162 & 163.

I'm not sure however whether it's the NewGRF, or my game, or my settings that made her perform unusually. Train Acceleration Model is set on Realistic always for me, Weight Multiplier to simulate heavy trains for freight is on 5, slope steepness for trains is also set on 5% and wagon speed limit is enabled for my settings.
Attachments
Amir Transport Pty. Ltd., 14th Apr 2147.png
Amir Transport Pty. Ltd., 14th Apr 2147.png (77.22 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
Amir Transport Pty. Ltd., 19th Feb 2147#1.png
Amir Transport Pty. Ltd., 19th Feb 2147#1.png (127.9 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
Amir Transport Pty. Ltd., 19th Feb 2147#3.png
Amir Transport Pty. Ltd., 19th Feb 2147#3.png (82.88 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Hold on! I forgot to update the NewGRF for the savegame, I'll be retesting it again.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

TheAmir259 wrote:Hold on! I forgot to update the NewGRF for the savegame, I'll be retesting it again.
You had me worried for a moment lol, as i tested it myself with no issues :)
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

I've had my conductor ran her on the test again, with inspector aboard. The conductor said she performed exceptionally well despite a few struggle (very few don't worry) and inspector had qualified her as a good train. The manufacturers were happy as they have fixed their train by refitting a new engine in.

So she went out of the depot with 97% reliability, outstanding!

She performed 201km/h or 125mph inside the station, traction is a little better the driver said!

She was left with 93% reliability as she almost make a full round...my inspectors can't really comment much on that!

Overall, a little better in terms of reliability and much better in terms of acceleration and top speed. But the chairman be having hard time deciding whether to phase out my Class 390 Pendolinos in favour of the although slower and older Intercity 125 or just keep it that way for the time being. He decided to make more round tests and check regularly for reliability though.
Attachments
Amir Transport Pty. Ltd., 7th Jun 2147.png
Amir Transport Pty. Ltd., 7th Jun 2147.png (100.55 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
Amir Transport Pty. Ltd., 8th May 2147.png
Amir Transport Pty. Ltd., 8th May 2147.png (111.64 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
Amir Transport Pty. Ltd., 27th May 2147.png
Amir Transport Pty. Ltd., 27th May 2147.png (101.24 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Glad to see its performing up to standard!

The 390 Pendolino is on my list of things to do, watch this space ;)
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

As she proceeded for 2 more rounds as she didn't stop just now, i just paused the game, she was left with 88% reliability, quite stunning though. The rate of reliability loss (as i would like to call it) is dropping, as it seemed like it took a while for the effect to take place.

During the test, it was discovered that the Class 253 & Class 254 had a steady but rather slow acceleration rate. (In the meeting hall looking at a lot of camera footages of the four trains in testing) "This won't really be a problem," said some office staff. "Class 255 had a very high acceleration rate than that!" complained one driver, immediately replied by "That's because the train is shorter and has fewer capacity so it's very obvious". The chairman later said "Man, the Pendolino is unbeatable. Rolling Stocks manufactured by BROS are good apparently" and a quick reply came from the BRTrains Manufacturing Company representatives "Rest assured Amir, we'll try to make our models better than the BROS".

After all the four test trains returned back to depot, test results came out. "What the heck!" (Refer to no.4 test results) exclaimed one BRTMC representative.

All the four test trains getting themselves ready for the test!

Pendolino accelerated so fast!

Challenger is second fastest in terms of acceleration!

HST Western is struggling with it's length!

HST Eastern is the last out of the depot!

(After completing 5 rounds)

1) Class 253 Western Test Train

Returned back with 72% Reliability

After repaired, max Reliability is 77%

2) Class 254 Eastern Test Train

Returned back with 82% Reliability

After repaired, max Reliability is 97%

3) Class 255 Challenger Test Train

Returned back with 75% Reliability

After repaired, max Reliability is 80%

4) Class 390 Pendolino Test Train

Returned back with 99% Reliability

After repaired, max Reliability is 100%

I must admit, that's why I loved using rolling stocks manufactured from BROS. I've tried using UKRS & UKRS2, they sucked in terms of reliability. NARS & USTS/USRS was a little better, BRT was getting better since this new patch but BROS remained the best. Though i do use others like the dutch, europe, swedish and the rest but the country with most NewGRF apparently was the US & UK so that's why I kept so much of those and frequently switched and tested. Overall, this patch made it a little better.
Last edited by TheAmir259 on 30 May 2016 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

My understanding is that the reliability drop is exponential, the further away from 100% you get the slower it decays.
JamesP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JamesP »

Leanden wrote:This is now fixed in version 0.1.0 which is now available on Bananas.

Spot on with both the diagonal offsets and the physics - thanks Leanden.

If you could make those small adjustments to the defined maximum speeds (158s up to 90mph and 150s down to 75mph, plus an increase up to about 100mph on the LNER coaches) to bring them in line with the prototypes, that would be perfect.

These trains are now officially entering service on 'The Robin Region'! :D
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

The LNER coaches are set to around 108mph, but im using the original km/h values as these seem to be the most consistent through the technical specs.

I'll revisit it though and adjust as i go :)
JamesP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JamesP »

Leanden wrote:The LNER coaches are set to around 108mph, but im using the original km/h values as these seem to be the most consistent through the technical specs.

I'll revisit it though and adjust as i go :)
Thanks!

Having put the trains into revenue-earning service, I discovered one thing I hadn't thought about - loading/unloading speeds.

To fully unload, and then fully re-load (i.e. 100%-0%-100%) the Class 150 takes 28 days! That compares to 4 days to do the same thing on the UKRS2 version, which feels about right.

I checked the 158 too and it had the same problem.

Any chance of getting the chain saw out and widening the doors a bit? :wink:
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Thanks again, i'll look at this too :)
The Growl
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by The Growl »

I am new, but not new to the game. I will be conservative with my criticism. Honestly, aside from the steamers and shunters, HSTs and etc look awful from the front. I know it's a realistic birds eye view, but it really doesn't look nice, or like a HST. I think UKRS2 did a better job. I really liked BROS, and when I found out this was being made by a the same team, I was thrilled. But please, fix the HSTs. And another thing. My LNERs do not want to accelerate with just a couple of coaches. Is the realistic setting getting in the way of this?

Attachments
New Alyx Links, 29th Jun 2046.sav
Savegame
(682.37 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

The Growl wrote:I am new, but not new to the game. I will be conservative with my criticism. Honestly, aside from the steamers and shunters, HSTs and etc look awful from the front. I know it's a realistic birds eye view, but it really doesn't look nice, or like a HST. I think UKRS2 did a better job. I really liked BROS, and when I found out this was being made by a the same team, I was thrilled. But please, fix the HSTs. And another thing. My LNERs do not want to accelerate with just a couple of coaches. Is the realistic setting getting in the way of this?
I couldn't really find the steam locomotives of BRTrains because I could hardly recognise which one is from BRTrains whilst i've recognised only the UKRS & UKRS2 steam locomotives, so not even did i found BROS ones on the list but i did saw the UKRS2's HST and yeah, most of their trains were very accurately painted, but they still will want to follow company colors, like for example the APT whilst the BROS ones don't have company colors and it makes it more realistic. I love the APT more and am a fan of it so I didn't really pay close attention to the HST modelled for BRTrains.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

I am not a pixel artis not are any of the pixel artists from BROS still involved in the project, i am merely using thise graphics which were available for the original set.

However, anyone is allowed to make adjustments to the model or design new trains for the set and i will add them in. Bear in mind I have express permission from Pikkabird to use and derive from the sprites of UKRS/UKRS2 so feel free to modify those to the same scale and reskin them.

As for the steam trains, have you upgraded to version 0.1.0 where the acceleration was fixed for all the trains?

P.S. BROS never had steam trains :)
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Leanden wrote: P.S. BROS never had steam trains :)
I see...

Return to “Graphics Development”