[OTTD] BRTrains - Development Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] BRTrains - A British Railways Set in NML [POLL]

Post by Leanden »

SquireJames wrote:Wowsers, fair way back then. I am not much cop when it comes to coding, but I could assist with the planning if you like. I contributed in a teeeny way to UKRS2 (sprite-bashed a Royal Scot for it in various versions. Pikka understandably only coded one, but I have the others kicking around. Different tenders, pre and post rebuild, with and without smoke deflectors etc). I could try drawing some other things if it would help, but i'd be better with the planning. (Might try learning NML, seems easier than old NFO coding)
In all honestly there isn't much in the way of planning. I will include any real world British train that anyone draws to the same scale, with a view to one day cover the whole history of British Rail.
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Ambitious. Well, I am unsure on scale but if you would like my Royal Scot sprites (in company colours, I will leave the recolours to LMS Crimson Lake and LMS Black to you) here they are
Attachments
No Smoke Deflectors, Fowler Tender (1928)
No Smoke Deflectors, Fowler Tender (1928)
NoSmokeDeflectFowlerTender.png (7.18 KiB) Viewed 4175 times
Smoke Deflectors, Stanier Tender (1934)
Smoke Deflectors, Stanier Tender (1934)
SmokeDeflectStanierTender.png (7.12 KiB) Viewed 4175 times
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

More than happy to include these and i will credit you.

A note to all other artists, if you either want submit trains to the project or i have coded a train you previously drew for either BRSet or BROS, please do let me know and i will credit appropriately.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

The 2-car versions of the 158 are done, but still debating how to implement consist variations, and the community seems split down the middle.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Perhaps we should post actual thoughts, so we can compare notes? :?

For example, I'm worried about menu clutter. The way I see it, you're trying for a very large train set, so I think in cases where less menu entries make sense it should be done. I'd be annoyed by a menu that's like
ABC 2-wagons
ABC 4-wagons
BCD 2-wagons
BCD 4-wagons
BCD 8-wagons
DFG 3-wagons
DFG 6-wagons
HGF 2-wagons
HGF 4-wagons
HGF 6-wagons
... fictional example, of course ;)

Plus, I'm used to either the mechanic from the HEQS trams and their refit to different lengths (if that's how you plan implementing it), or like the DBSet ICE where you just build wagons until it's "valid", or like some other trains where, since it's fiction, you can just build them in any length you want ...

Hope I didn't misunderstand the entire issue ^^;
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

I agree. I'd rather have you be able to keep adding until you can't add any more wagons, according to reality. And perhaps with the option of removing this limit.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

This would mean adding in a single magic wagon that automatically adopts the appropriate graphics, description and stats of the dmu/emu it is being added to, or lots and lots of extra wagons in the purchase list.

Neither of these really fit in with the image im looking for with the set.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Also it promotes a further issue, take the 158 for example, it only appeared as a 3-car unit in a handful of sets, i domt believe you can lookup a maximum carriage length based on cargosubtype.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

There's no correct answer here, but...

...it's much simpler to make all the different consists appear in the buy menu.

Different number of units in the consist = different vehicle; if it's a different vehicle, it goes in the buy menu.

Refit is already handling livery (I assume). It will also need to handle refitting to multiple cargos if you add any parcels MUs, or for pax vehicles if ECS tourists cargo is active in a game. That's a lot of combinations to handle in the refit menu.

Changing vehicles lengths via callback is also non-trivial, there are various pitfalls to avoid.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

For the moment i've opted for seperate buy list entries for ease of coding. Once the set gets a bit bigger and into a more all round useable set I may revisit those trains and integrate the consists, but the 158 for example would have had 30 different refit options which I feel is over the top.

Latest version 0.0.7 is up on Bananas.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Did you use these HST's or go with somebody elses?
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

I used the ones from the zip file you sent me (and i redid all the mk 3 carriages for each livery). I didnt use those ones because they are very incomplete, but perhaps i could mix and match them together where certain liveries look better than others.

If those could be finished then i could add them in.
jonnie47
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonnie47 »

love the set, but the purchase costs are a but broken. Not sure if this is an oversight. they all the to cost just over 1k in year 2000
Everton F.C The pride of merseyside
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

jonnie47 wrote:love the set, but the purchase costs are a but broken. Not sure if this is an oversight. they all the to cost just over 1k in year 2000
Its not an oversight, i havent implemented the running/purchase costs at all so far, so they are left on the lowest setting.

I will need to do some testing but they will be scaled to relatively realistic values which scale with inflation, (so a steam train might cost £1000 while a eurostar would be in the millions). I will add in a parameter to reduce these down to more comparable costs with other train sets.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] BRTrains - A British Railways Set in NML

Post by Leanden »

v0.0.9 released with an alignment fix and the 150/0 'Sprinter' included.
JamesP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JamesP »

Fantastic work - this is looking great!

A few constructive suggestions, if I may?

v0.0.9 has fixed the alignment in the "|" direction - now looking perfect. However in the "\" direction the trains appear a little to far to the left and in the "/" direction the trains appear a little too far to the right. I'm using finescale rails as suggested.

The performance of the trains perhaps needs a tweak. The HSTs, 158s and 156s all have balancing speeds (i.e. the speed the train is capable of reaching on level track) below their maximum speeds. In real life all of those trains can reach their maximum speeds on level track. A bit more power would be appreciated!

Some small adjustments are needed to the maximum speeds set. A 158 should be 90mph and a 150 should be 75mph. Maximum speeds in the days of steam were a bit less clearly defined, but Gresley GNER coaches certainly ran well in excess of 70mph. I suggest setting them to 110mph, and allowing the abilities of the locomotive to govern the maximum speed.

Thank you for your great work on this set.
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

JamesP wrote:Some small adjustments are needed to the maximum speeds set. A 158 should be 90mph and a 150 should be 75mph. Maximum speeds in the days of steam were a bit less clearly defined, but Gresley GNER coaches certainly ran well in excess of 70mph. I suggest setting them to 110mph, and allowing the abilities of the locomotive to govern the maximum speed.
I did note that too, although I was about to forget to say anything because I was just shocked my stuff is alive... in bulk! :shock: :D
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Thanks for the feedback, the specs of the trains are drawn directly from their production technical data, but i will take a look into any issues preventing them reaching their top speeds.

Are you using realistic or original acceleration models?
Are they managing to reach the top speeds listed in the details on the purchase screen?
What do you have the weight modifier set to in your advanced settings?

If you are using realistic acceleration it is more likely thag the air drag and tractive effort coefficients need adjusting to compensate for the model calculations.
JamesP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JamesP »

Leanden wrote:Thanks for the feedback, the specs of the trains are drawn directly from their production technical data, but i will take a look into any issues preventing them reaching their top speeds.

Are you using realistic or original acceleration models?
Are they managing to reach the top speeds listed in the details on the purchase screen?
What do you have the weight modifier set to in your advanced settings?

If you are using realistic acceleration it is more likely thag the air drag and tractive effort coefficients need adjusting to compensate for the model calculations.

I'm using the 'realistic' acceleration model, with the weight modifier set to 1.

The trains don't reach the top speeds listed on the purchase screen on level track.

Thanks for looking into it.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Ah then yes itll be the air drag and te coefficients that need tweaking, ill look at these towards the end of the week.

Return to “Graphics Development”