[OTTD] BRTrains - Development Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

superdrive1
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] BRTrains - Development Thread

Post by superdrive1 »

andythenorth wrote:I'm not intending this to look mean, but bug reports about changing grfs in-game are an absolute waste of time. :)

Someone will inevitable now pop up and say "it's normally fine" ;) They're wrong. I pretty much continuously edit newgrfs and reload them on running games. I break vehicles, industries and cargos consistently doing this, or crash OpenTTD. If I do an hour of newgrf dev, I might crash OpenTTD hard 4 or 5 times in that period. Changing newgrfs is not fine.

However, it's easy to give a good bug report. Just start a fresh game, and try to replicate the issue. Use the money and date cheats if necessary. :)

For what it's worth the class 150 issue looks like an unclosed articulated vehicles callback, but eh, without a clean repro, who knows ;)
10 years of casual OpenTTD play and that comes as news to me, thanks! No insult taken :)
Leanden wrote:The only thing you could do is reload the game with a version of BRTrains where the error wasnt there, send all the trains to the depot, and then update and replace all the trains with the fixed version.

We werent aware we'd broken it tbh, so we couldnt have even changed the compatible_version parameter to break updates.
Yes, that solution did occur to me after sending the message, guess I'll have to call the 444s in!

Thanks for the 150 clarification though, just thrown by the level of shade variation on either side clearly!

Will continue to observe and enjoy the evolution of BRTrains :)

Cheers

AJ
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Probably a rush job, by the look of it.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Doorslammer wrote:Probably a rush job, by the look of it.
Didnt you do that sprinters? :P
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Oh absolutely, but you can understand that because of the sheer number I managed to process in such a short timeframe, one or two oddities would somehow get missed.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Small update - You can now use your 4th rail with the S7 and S8 stock!
brtom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by brtom »

There's a known bug where for 450 disappear in this version so don't update BrTrains in a game with them in!
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Update to 0.4.3.5.
Please don't update of you run 450s or S7/8 stocks.
We also have upgraded 220/221s.
willsym22
Engineer
Engineer

Post by willsym22 »

Few things that ive noticed from a lengthy multiplayer game with friends

378s loading time needs to be reduced, with the JGR patch, timetabling and ticks set to 148, it can take up to 5 minutes to load most of the train, and since there meant to be fast load and unloading trains, it makes sense for these to be reduced. I suggest a similar thing should happen with the tube stocks and with the 700s/possible future aventras.

319s seem a bit under powered, they take a bit too long and have no power when a single gradient is after a station and they barely get up the hill.

theres a few glitches with the graphics with the 68s

the 376 and the 700s need a capacity increase to cover for standing space. It doesn't need to be the full capacities, just a 20% or 30% increase so there not OP like the 378 but a bit better than just seated.

Other than this the set is coming along very well :)
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

1st block: Thanks for this feedback, it's very much needed. We shall fiddle around with this figure, but was there a time you had in mind?
2nd block: I've noticed this too, it's probably to do with the tractive effort.
3rd block: Could you explain more?
4th block: this gives me sleepless nights. I plan to add a "standing room" perameter, with 3 stages (no trains, sensible trains, all). The problem is coming up with figures for all this. Anyway, thanks for this feedback; it is essential for the development of this NewGRF.
willsym22
Engineer
Engineer

Post by willsym22 »

Well really the loading times for intercity services should be about 2-3 minutes and about 1 for everything else as its the lowest number they can have.
Thats on the settings that we have for our multiplayer games. It will be more and less for other settings.

As it stands the waiting times for HSTs, voyagers, 180s and other intercity things is fine. 91s and the APT is a bit too high.
The 700s, tubes, 378s and any other "high capacity" trains need to be much faster.
electrostars, networkers, 319s are fine; sprinters could be a bit smaller but otherwise everything is fine.
Mooshroom2719
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mooshroom2719 »

This set is amazing!
I've been shadowing this since the first releases, along with brtrack. If there is any way I can help I will. BTW all the graphics look good.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Update came out yesterday: New purchase sprites, new HST sounds (MTU only), new Class 222 sprites, ECS tourist compatibility, improved functionality of the Class 91
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

So, are the costs going to go up, or are we going to be able to change how expensive trains are?
Developer of North American Passenger Liveries: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=87228
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

The trains are scaled such that the full range of purchase cost modifiers from 1 to 255 throughout the set.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Progress, progress, progress!
Attachments
Progress.png
Progress.png (3.47 KiB) Viewed 3037 times
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Poll added to thread, please submit your vote on how the Intercity 125 Train sets should be handled
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [OTTD] POLL - BRTrains - Development Thread

Post by TheAmir259 »

I assume the third option is having four trains. The 253, 254 & 255s and then a Class 43 MU (as in you manually put coaches into the set yourself in the depot). That is a favourably good option as it satisfies both sides, and also satisfies the historical accuracy. A concern i find with an MU set is that you won't get to see buffer coaches and first class coaches, something you can already see in UKRS2 version. Also, have you got around to implementing push-pull feature for the EWS 67 & Class 91 (and so on)? Or is it never going to be implemented?
You can also find me at Reddit. Check out my OpenTTD Screenshots & Savefiles!
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

If you check the class 91 and class 73 Gatwick Express set, you'll see the implementation we have
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

v0.4.4.2 released

Fix: Rescaled 373 Eurostar to reflect real life shorter carriage lengths
Feature: Added New 373 Livery

Return to “Graphics Development”