Silverx50's Workshop

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Silverx50's sets

Post by Quast65 »

Leanden wrote:That callback isn't available
Too bad, but this answer saves me some search work and ploughing through the wiki ;-)
Leanden wrote:but you can call different sprites depending on the length of station built in one go, I think Canadian Stations does this.
Yes, I am aware of that. However in this case there are two buildings to elongate the station. A middle part with clock an one without clock.
By providing the station as separate modules a player can choose which elongation to place where. Modularity is one of the main features of the GRF anyway, so providing the sprites as separate but not entirely stand-alone blocks is not that big of an issue.
@Silver, that means that for the middle and end buildings the parts of the sides that would have been visible can be broken open, so that you just see an interior. And that way, when placed next to each other, they will look like one complete open-plan building.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Quast65 wrote:@Silver, that means that for the middle and end buildings the parts of the sides that would have been visible can be broken open, so that you just see an interior. And that way, when placed next to each other, they will look like one complete open-plan building.
I would have been quite sad after just doing just just that if you had changed your mind. :wink:
interior desgn stichthage.png
interior desgn stichthage.png (19.47 KiB) Viewed 3742 times
this is what I have so far, more work needed and have to think of thigns to fill it a bit more other then adding just more people.
All my projects are GPLv2 License.

Dutch landmark Object Set Workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75071
My stations workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74749
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

:mrgreen:

Looking great already!! :bow:

EDIT: al little tip is to add stuff that is brightly colored (like you are already doing with the ticketbox, people and shrubs), as the see-thru effect will make eeverything a couple of tones darker.

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I think the overlapping will work....
This is without the stationtiles visible:
Example32.png
Example32.png (94.84 KiB) Viewed 3702 times
Not visible (because I made stations invisible) are two drive-thru busstops between the bridges on the raised ground.
Also note that there are object-tiles under the bridge. I cant fill in that space via overlapping station tiles, has to be done with objects.

This is how it looks with the overlapping tiles:
Example33.png
Example33.png (94.33 KiB) Viewed 3702 times
Pretty close to the reallife situation of Den Haag CS, right? :D
The raised land for the bridges with busstops isnt visible anymore because of the roofs, so no need to worry about that (also with the see-thru pattern that will be in those roofs, I dont think that too much will be visible of the raised land)
And I think it would look even better with the see-thru glass effect.

I know that there isnt a road on groundlevel going through Den Haag CS, but that is there just to show that with the same stationtiles either 1 or 2 tiles can be overlapped.
And I havent coded an overlap with just the roof yet, so that is why a part of a gate is visible next to the road on the inside.

So.... I think it could work :mrgreen:

This will also give you a bit of an idea now of what is visible when a couple of tiles are placed next to each other.
I would like to ask you if you could make 2 or 3 different interiors with nice visible eyecandy on 2x1, without any roofs/windows, just the interiors (I can stick the exteriors over them myself, when you are done with them).
With that I can make a couple of variations that players can choose from. I dont want to make too many options, I like Den Haag CS, but not that much to have like 10 different interior options ;-)
And could you also provide me with the empty concrete tile you want to use for the insides, I will see if I can put that tile in one of my object-sets so that it can be used under the bridges (or maybe code it together with the station-set, will see if that is possible someway).
I will also make several platforms (with nice eyecandy) that can be used by trains and tiles with a ramp/stairs from groundlevel to platform level (probably also with the bufferstops) myself. Already got some ideas for that ;-)

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Quast65 wrote:Pretty close to the reallife situation of Den Haag CS, right?
this is wonderful. going to figure out how to do the roof pattern so that it lines up all the time.
Quast65 wrote:I would like to ask you if you could make 2 or 3 different interiors with nice visible eyecandy on 2x1, without any roofs/windows, just the interiors
will be done. have a few hours today so you'll have them by the end of the day.

have another idea that I started working on last night, but I don't even know if it's possible. will post about that a bit later today.
thanks for all the hard work

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

So like I had said, I have had this idea for forever now, but never drew for openttd. now that I do I wanted to give it a try.
the bus belongs to Masterus and is here as a placeholder only. It's based on the future look of the bus platform, not the current one.
busplatform idea.png
busplatform idea.png (30.56 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
I haven't finished it as I'm not sure if it's easily coded or possible at all or if there is any interest.
DHCS busstation idea.png
DHCS busstation idea.png (7.36 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
Going back to finish other things now.

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Well another post.
Attachments
DenHaagCS_stichthage.png
DenHaagCS_stichthage.png (32.75 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
interior desgn stichthage done.png
interior desgn stichthage done.png (99.86 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
dhcs floorplans-1.png
dhcs floorplans-1.png (8.48 KiB) Viewed 3631 times

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Great work on Stichthage!!
Just three comments and one suggestion, The two middle buildings for the Sunny side both have one floor of small windows not with the same window pattern:
Example34.png
Example34.png (27.45 KiB) Viewed 3616 times
The other comment is the big NS-logo on top of the Sunny-side end-building. That logo is darker than the one for the shaded-side, give it the same color as the shaded one.
Final comment is the Uni-Leiden advertisement, give the big blue background a bit of texture (just add some random different colored blue pixels), that will look better, its too clean right now ;-)
And the suggestion, what do you think about also placing the NS-logo with station name sign on the middle parts (I would suggest right in the middle of it)?
I know that those are not there in the reallife situation, but for longer versions of the station some sort of entrance in the middle could be nice.

Thnx for the floorplans for the departure halls!! I do however also need flipped versions for the other direction.

Regarding the pattern for the roofs. I am planning to also use the see-thru effect for the roofs. So having big see-thru areas is possible. I believe that the reallife situation also has that.
So maybe the same like the window-side. Just the lines for the see-thru window panels, together with the small non-see-thru panels (like the reallife roof).
If you want to see how some patterns may look ingame, just send me a couple of test versions, Ill code them to show you what effect they will have, so you can choose the one you like best.

And, well I was actually waiting for this.... The raised busstop... ;-)
Yes, having it above tracks that can be used by trains is possible!
However actual busses cant use it... It may be possible to animate the tiles in such a way that fake busses move around on it, however I have not yet done any Multi-tile animations for stations yet, that can take me some time to figure that out...
Also there is a bit of a practical problem with them right now. I know that in reallife the exit of the busstation is connected to a road going over the tracks. That cannot be done in this game. So we need another sort of fake way to connect the busstop to the actual road-system. I would suggest a ramp going down from the busstation to a road next to the tracks. And maybe the best way is to have that ramp roofed, so busses will go out of view when they go down. That way the animation could start and end with busses coming out and into the ramped-tunnel.
I know that is not how it works in reallife, but that is right now the only option I can think about to have it implimented in OpenTTD....

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Quast65 wrote:Just three comments and one suggestion, The two middle buildings for the Sunny side both have one floor of small windows not with the same window pattern:
interior desgn stichthage redone.png
interior desgn stichthage redone.png (52.35 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
DenHaagCS_stichthage redone.png
DenHaagCS_stichthage redone.png (31.81 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
changes have been made. the logo's were actually the same color but the contrast difference made it look like one was darker. made the sunny side brighter to match the shadow side.
Quast65 wrote:Thnx for the floorplans for the departure halls!! I do however also need flipped versions for the other direction
Will get these to you soon.
Quast65 wrote:Regarding the pattern for the roofs. I am planning to also use the see-thru effect for the roofs. So having big see-thru areas is possible. I believe that the reallife situation also has that.
So maybe the same like the window-side. Just the lines for the see-thru window panels, together with the small non-see-thru panels (like the reallife roof).
If you want to see how some patterns may look ingame, just send me a couple of test versions, Ill code them to show you what effect they will have, so you can choose the one you like best.
well I like the sound of this, was having trouble creating a new working pattern that would connect well over the roofs. this might make it a bit easier to come up with something.
Quast65 wrote: I would suggest a ramp going down from the busstation to a road next to the tracks.
This is a great idea. and real life is nice but working in-game is more important. will do the other things regarding the interiors first then go back to working on this.

Also....seeing things you create ingame is so different from seeing it in photoshop.....Het strijkijzer is way to big...I just didn't realize until I put it in game..

Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Silverx50 wrote:
Quast65 wrote: I would suggest a ramp going down from the busstation to a road next to the tracks.
This is a great idea. and real life is nice but working in-game is more important. will do the other things regarding the interiors first then go back to working on this.

Also....seeing things you create ingame is so different from seeing it in photoshop.....Het strijkijzer is way to big...I just didn't realize until I put it in game..
Actually i would opt not to put the ramp down as the ramp would go down onto the tracks leaving the station in that direction. In reality the bus station opens out onto a bridge over the tracks, so maybe a t-junction overlay tile in the air to join a roadbridge?
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Leanden wrote:
Silverx50 wrote:

Actually i would opt not to put the ramp down as the ramp would go down onto the tracks leaving the station in that direction. In reality the bus station opens out onto a bridge over the tracks, so maybe a t-junction overlay tile in the air to join a roadbridge?
Well I actually think he meant to change the exit to the side which would then lead to the ramp to the side of the building.
both options sound good to me.

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

No, I did indeed mean what Leanden described.
And I understand the problem with that the (although invisible) ramp would go down too low over the tracks and platform.

The problem I would have with the exits at 1 hightlevel above ground is that it would either force a player to build a bridge over the tracks (with the exit towards the tracks), or a bridge/landscaping next to the building (with the exit to the side). So it cant function as a standalone building, it needs either a bridge or landscaping, not that big of a problem to people who know what the reallife situation is, but the building might look strange for people who dont know what the situation is in reallife.

One of the things that might be possible is to make the first row of tiles unpassable by trains. Code-wise that might not be possible, however it can be done visually, so that a player can see how he/she should place tracks.
For example, elongate the building with uncovered platforms at the tiles that may be passed by a train (also like the reallife situation) and elongate the first row of tiles with bikeracks (which are also somewhere in the reallife situation). That way there is enough room for a ramp going down to groundlevel.
Well, that is my suggestion. I look forward to your ideas how this may be solved.

Stighthage looks great now! :bow: Bit busy with work right now for the next couple of days, so I will code it as soon as I have some more free time (certainly early next week)

Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Quast65 wrote:No, I did indeed mean what Leanden described.
And I understand the problem with that the (although invisible) ramp would go down too low over the tracks and platform.

The problem I would have with the exits at 1 hightlevel above ground is that it would either force a player to build a bridge over the tracks (with the exit towards the tracks), or a bridge/landscaping next to the building (with the exit to the side). So it cant function as a standalone building, it needs either a bridge or landscaping, not that big of a problem to people who know what the reallife situation is, but the building might look strange for people who dont know what the situation is in reallife.

One of the things that might be possible is to make the first row of tiles unpassable by trains. Code-wise that might not be possible, however it can be done visually, so that a player can see how he/she should place tracks.
For example, elongate the building with uncovered platforms at the tiles that may be passed by a train (also like the reallife situation) and elongate the first row of tiles with bikeracks (which are also somewhere in the reallife situation). That way there is enough room for a ramp going down to groundlevel.
Well, that is my suggestion. I look forward to your ideas how this may be solved.

Stighthage looks great now! :bow: Bit busy with work right now for the next couple of days, so I will code it as soon as I have some more free time (certainly early next week)
You could always put a fake bridge in as an extra tileset at the platform ends?
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Leanden wrote:You could always put a fake bridge in as an extra tileset at the platform ends?
Yeah, but where should that bridge go to, where will it connect to an actual roadsystem? It is just as easy then to let the busses go directly to the side.
But good to brainstorm about this!

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Have to give that ramp ide aa bit more thought and how to execute it.
I've added a first pattern, not sure if I like it more than what I had before.
Attachments
DHCS pattern 1.png
DHCS pattern 1.png (8.58 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
dhcs floorplans-2.png
dhcs floorplans-2.png (8.26 KiB) Viewed 3521 times

Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Quast65 wrote:
Leanden wrote:You could always put a fake bridge in as an extra tileset at the platform ends?
Yeah, but where should that bridge go to, where will it connect to an actual roadsystem? It is just as easy then to let the busses go directly to the side.
But good to brainstorm about this!
Just have the bridgeheads come down on either side of the station wherever the tiles end.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Silverx50 wrote:Have to give that ramp ide aa bit more thought and how to execute it.
I've added a first pattern, not sure if I like it more than what I had before.
This could be because this pattern gives the illusion of the small squares standing up straight, rather than lying flat. Try to use small squares shaped like the ones in the floorplans, that would probably give the right visual effect.
Leanden wrote:Just have the bridgeheads come down on either side of the station wherever the tiles end.
This gives another "problem". The raised busstop is 4 tiles/tracks wide, but the station could have more tracks (which it also has in reallife). So having bridgeheads coming down would make extra tracks and thus expansion of the station impossible...

EDIT:
What could work is having the exit here:
Example35.png
Example35.png (9.03 KiB) Viewed 3489 times
And then provide a separate tile with a ramp going down that can be placed next to it, maybe also another tile with an overlap, so that a road/tramtrack can go next to the main building and that the ramp goes down a tile further.
The exittile on the busstop segment and the separate tiles could be roofed, so that the busses would be obstructed from view, that way an animationcycle could also be possible.
This would be a simple solution...

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Quast65 wrote:What could work is having the exit here:
yes this is what I thought you meant the first time, and the best solution I think.
will draw it up tonight or tomorrow. don't have much time today.

Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Let me better explain, like how if you lay a 5 tile station it has a different appearence to a 3 tile station (talking lengths here), you could have a tileset in the station which is always 1 tile long but any number of platforms, you then draw this as the last line at the end of the platform, except if you have a 7 platforms station you always draw the end tiles 2 platforms wider and then the last tile on each side would be a bridge ramp.

Feel me? :)
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

What about something like this?
Example36.png
Example36.png (16.94 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
So, for this direction the row of tiles at the right are elongated a bit to overlap the boardwalk (same trick the Dutch Road Furniture uses). This will now give enough room for a ramp going down.
The ramp stays clear of the track (as it is further to the right) and there is still a bit of room left of the platforms for passengers to walk by the ramp (even though that is not visible), the ramp is then connected to the actual roadsystem via a fake sideway.
Looking at this quick drawing, the ramp could even be moved 1 or 2 pixels more to the right (or also make the ramp itself a bit narrower), leaving even more room on the platforms.
I think this could work....

EDIT: And this way I think everything could fit on a 4x4.

Return to “Graphics Development”