Silverx50's Workshop

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Silverx50's Workshop

Post by Silverx50 »

acs121 wrote:I understand now.
Now, another thing : the other side on aerial pics does have a road going under the underpass. So is it overlapping ?
The station still looks awesome, it only lacks texture on the overpass and all.
great! yes texture is indeed lacking at this point. I don't do textures until me and Quast reach an agreement on the final form.
now that we have mostly reached agreement I first do the flipped view then add texture to the building and it goes to Quast for minor touch-ups if needed and coding.
that's how we've been working for the lasst 2 years (time flies!!!)
Quast65 wrote:- It looks like the awning of the old stationbuilding goes around the corner and continues to/under the single-tile connection-piece between the building and the modern overpass.
Just keep drawing it like now, without that awning piece, Ill see when I code it, if it is maybe nicer to add that little awning-part or not.
indeed it does. I had been thinking about adding it. but I'll leave it to you.
Quast65 wrote:- However… The second island-piece...
Right now you are using a slightly V-shaped roof. I think it should be flat, rather white and with some narrow strip of glass that is off-centered.
So, I think that one needs a little re-design to make it look accurate....
Sorry that I didnt notice that before… I was too focussed on other details..
soo....I've always known its a flat roof, but I wasn't sure if we wanted to create another type of roof in the set. That's why I went with an already existing roof that could be found in the set.
So just like with Geldermalsen we recycled the Roosendaal roofs so that they work with that station as well. But if you don't mind adding more rooftops I'll create a flatroofed version. and then I'll use that flat roof for Gouda as well, because I also used the v-shaped roof as base for that stattions island platforms.

The set will end up with two flat white roof tops depending on how the roof for Leiden works out. (hope to have it Leiden reach a stage where I can show it soon, pretty excited about what I have till now)
next graphic update somewhere in the weekend.

cheers.
All my projects are GPLv2 License.

Dutch landmark Object Set Workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75071
My stations workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74749
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

acs121 wrote:Now, another thing : the other side on aerial pics does have a road going under the underpass. So is it overlapping ?
Thank you for pointing that out!! That should indeed need an overlap.
Ill keep that in mind when I code it and then will make versions with and without overlaps.
This is one of the main reasons why non-textured work is placed here early on in development, so that others may spot things that we may have missed ;-)
@Silver: No need to draw anything special for that, I think that the graphics for the Waypoint-section can be used for that (maybe with some slight alterations), Ill do that when I am going to code it.
Silverx50 wrote:But if you don't mind adding more rooftops I'll create a flatroofed version.
I certainly dont mind! Especially if it means that the station will look even more like the real thing.
Could you provide them as single-sided pieces? Will make them usefull maybe for other stations (like indeed Gouda) and for fantasy-stations ;-)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Still busy with Alkmaar (flipping stations is my least favorite thing to do....), but wanted to share some other work that I have been doing.
Last year I posted another version of Rotterdam CS, a version that had raised platforms, a few months ago i returned to work on it, and realized that it wasn't good.
so that was when a long journey started for me getting the angles right. During that process I got inspired to draw the Old Rotterdam CS.
OLD ROTT CS 1.2.png
OLD ROTT CS 1.2.png (88.75 KiB) Viewed 3277 times
So after months of failed attempts I think I've finally cracked the code and have a version of lines that I'm very happy with.
also drew some Rotterdam platforms for the fun, to see how it would look.
NEW ROTT CS 0.2.png
NEW ROTT CS 0.2.png (66.37 KiB) Viewed 3277 times
and then showing it in context of the city.
DLOS City Planner Rotterdam 0.5.png
(604.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Nice ! I still do prefer the old Rotterdam CS. If you could make both, it could look great :D
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Silverx50 wrote:During that process I got inspired to draw the Old Rotterdam CS.
:shock: :bow: :bow: :bow:
I totally agree with acs121, I also love that old station building. Would be very happy to code that ;-)
Personally, I could live without it having the green phonebooths. I think they distract from the aesthetics of the building. Without them it would look like it was in the 60s.
Silverx50 wrote:I think I've finally cracked the code and have a version of lines that I'm very happy with.
I am very interested to know why you finally chose those lines for the roof.
I can imagine that it was very hard to decide to go for those, the perspective of OpenTTD and the shape of the roof makes that very difficult.
But... And this may be my personal view, I feel that the roof is going down (or straight) rather than up...
I did a very very quick edit (as a separate layer, therefor a PSD):
NEW%20ROTT%20CS%200_2_Q65Edit.psd
(927.12 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
To me, this looks more like that the roof is going up, I am wondering if you have considered this look in your attempts and if so, why it would have been discarded.
Hard to explain, I just need a bit more information about why you chose the current look, to see if my brain is then able to see what you are seeing ;-)

What I really really like is how you managed to draw that strange shape that the facade under the roof has. All those various curves and shapes is done perfectly! :bow:
Silverx50 wrote:also drew some Rotterdam platforms for the fun, to see how it would look.
Those are nice! Also dont mind adding those.
I do think though that we need to test first how it looks ingame (just with some rudimental empty platforms), to see what hue of red/pink-ish it should get.
As we are now using 32bpp colors we are able to make it look as good/subtle as we would like ;-)
Silverx50 wrote:and then showing it in context of the city.
Thanks… Drooled over my keyboard again… (Hotel Engels.... Awesome!!!)

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Quast65 wrote:I totally agree with acs121, I also love that old station building.
Glad you guys like it. here is a version without the phone booths.
OLD ROTT CS 1.1 without phone booth.png
OLD ROTT CS 1.1 without phone booth.png (16.91 KiB) Viewed 6931 times
Quast65 wrote:I am very interested to know why you finally chose those lines for the roof.
I can imagine that it was very hard to decide to go for those, the perspective of OpenTTD and the shape of the roof makes that very difficult.
But... And this may be my personal view, I feel that the roof is going down (or straight) rather than up...
I did a very very quick edit (as a separate layer, therefor a PSD):
hah yes, well as i couldn't find the exact angle in any picture for ottd I superimposed a google maps screenshot into my workspace to get lines I was happy with.
i also wanted a gradual incline. but i also see why you would think to go for a bit steeper version. If I get a chance I'll work out both versions this weekend.
acs121 wrote:(Hotel Engels.... Awesome!!!
Glad you like what I have so far. that building has been a pain to work on at times.

and some Rotterdam tiles if you wanted to test. the dark ones were my first version before I noticed that they were way to dark.
rotterdam tiles test.png
rotterdam tiles test.png (10.33 KiB) Viewed 6928 times
I've also been working on Amsterdam CS again, trying to fix the roof issue I'd been having. also noticed some other small things that needed changing. hope to post an new update of that soon.

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I don't know what kind of bug there was, but a part of what you quoted (about the Hotel Engels) is said to be mine by the forums and not Quast65 as it was him who posted this.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Silverx50 wrote:here is a version without the phone booths.
That looks very good! :bow:
Silverx50 wrote:some Rotterdam tiles if you wanted to test.
Thnx! I will code some testversions, will send them in a PM.
acs121 wrote:I don't know what kind of bug there was, but a part of what you quoted (about the Hotel Engels) is said to be mine by the forums and not Quast65 as it was him who posted this.
Ahh well, not the worst person to get misquoted by :tongue:

KahlilGibran
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KahlilGibran »

hi, where can i download this newgrf with latest update?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

KahlilGibran wrote: 06 Dec 2019 10:31 hi, where can i download this newgrf with latest update?
Which project, specifically?
KahlilGibran
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KahlilGibran »

kamnet wrote: 06 Dec 2019 17:09
KahlilGibran wrote: 06 Dec 2019 10:31 hi, where can i download this newgrf with latest update?
Which project, specifically?
Building objects and stations. There's a lot of awesome stuff in here. I really want it all :D :D
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

The stations can be found in Quast65's dutch station set. Some of what you see here is still unreleased.
The objects can be found in the Dutch Landmark objects set. but that hasn't seen an update in 2 years now. and don't see an update coming before next summer.
real life has taken me away from openttd in the past year and I hope to get back to it soon.

Rocket
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rocket »

Great work Silver, looks nice. I installed the 'Dutch Landmarks Objects' though I only seem to be able to place the first two items of Rotterdam.
Is there something I did wrong installing? Though it's just checking a box. Wouldn't be nice if your work isn't available.
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

The buildings are locked by year they were built in real life. so if you haven't reached the right year they will be unavailable.

chujo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chujo »

Silverx50 wrote: 29 Dec 2019 19:06 The buildings are locked by year they were built in real life. so if you haven't reached the right year they will be unavailable.
Hey, I've made a version of DLOS that has a parameter which turns off introduction dates (to offer players the option of more sandbox-y gameplay).

Would you like to release it as a proper update?
Attachments
DLOS_param.zip
(3.26 MiB) Downloaded 45 times

Return to “Graphics Development”