Silverx50's Workshop

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Silverx50's Workshop

Post by luxtram »

Silverx50 wrote:and why is it that everytime you repost an image the background is purple?
are you changing it each time? and do you change the pallet? because when you give good advice its sometimes harder to implement easily because the colors
are all changed up.
I also noticed that something is odd but did not realize what exactly. Might be something with pasting into GIMP as new image from Firefox. I'll pay attention to this next time. I am certainly not doing to make your life harder or to annoy you. :) Sorry about this anyway. I will from now on save the image and reopen it.

I think that the top and bottom parts will line up like this in the isometric perspective. Even when they did not, it would be easier in this case to pretend that they did.

I think that the glass panel rows have equal heights, and there is small extra at the bottom, that in one corner joins with the rest.

The corner seems to descend to the middle of the second row.
Delft2.png
Delft2.png (8.71 KiB) Viewed 3366 times
Edit: I think that the same principle would affect the other corner, so made additional changes.
Attachments
Delft3.png
Delft3.png (8.65 KiB) Viewed 3351 times
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

interesting changes, not sure on your new window sizes, think the ones I had are better, but think the way you drew the ground floor may work better.
I'll see what others have to say before I continue with this.
All my projects are GPLv2 License.

Dutch landmark Object Set Workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75071
My stations workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74749
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Silverx50 wrote:not sure on your new window sizes, think the ones I had are better
I am not going to argue which one is better or better looking. I just checked the actual building.

Your reference is quite hazy (but as there is not better one, it should do), so I used another angle, but if you look carefully then you will see that the same compartments are also present in the reference image.

I used this for reference. I marked the dimension comparisons.
Delft_Scales.png
Delft_Scales.png (598.56 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
Image is from this page according to google Image search. http://modulo.net/it-it/categorie/infrastrutture
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

it's not the only reference I used, I also used the image you had now, but that image I posted earlier is the only one we could find from the angle that I'm drawing, as the side I'm drawing right now is still under construction.
was at the station last night and took a quick look. so even though I agree with the height of the windows to the side the front now doesn't look right to me.
I'll keep working on it and find a good middle ground. hope to have this view finished up by end of the week.

luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Silverx50 wrote:it's not the only reference I used, I also used the image you had now, but that image I posted earlier is the only one we could find from the angle that I'm drawing, as the side I'm drawing right now is still under construction.
was at the station last night and took a quick look. so even though I agree with the height of the windows to the side the front now doesn't look right to me.
I'll keep working on it and find a good middle ground. hope to have this view finished up by end of the week.
Do as it feels better for you. I just shared my observations.
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

luxtram wrote: Do as it feels better for you. I just shared my observations.
and your observations help me improve. :D
as I forgot something at Ikea yesterday, I'll be heading back to delft tomorrow, and I'll have more time to explore.

luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Silverx50 wrote:
luxtram wrote: Do as it feels better for you. I just shared my observations.
and your observations help me improve. :D
as I forgot something at Ikea yesterday, I'll be heading back to delft tomorrow, and I'll have more time to explore.
I'll recommend to take a camera with you (or use phone camera) unless it is considered suspicious for some reason. :roll:
For my Luxembourg big offices it took me several visits and 10s of shots to get them more or less right.
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

I drew this building before, only I drew it based on the angle I started drawing Delft station earlier which isn't the angle that I needed for my scenario.
so redrew it now that I'm also busy drawing the new verion of Delf station. also added a bit more this time around.
TU Delft Fac ITS.png
TU Delft Fac ITS.png (29.56 KiB) Viewed 3304 times
and for Delft I've been thinking. Planning on adding some more buildings from the University.
and then also:

Stadhuis
Oude kerk
Nieuwe Kerk
Maria van Jessekerk

and I'm hoping on some more additions that should make it but I'm not versed in the important buildings in Delft.

Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

Well, I think that's about it. ;)

You could consider Molen de Roos though. It's quite a landmark in Delft, especially in area along the railway line. I believe there's no other Dutch mills available, so it may be an interesting addition anyway.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

and I'm hoping on some more additions that should make it but I'm not versed in the important buildings in Delft.
Well, I think that's about it.
Indeed already a good enough list.

As a Delft resident I can name loads of buildings, but those may not be interesting enough for non-residents of Delft and even less interesting for non-residents of The Netherlands ;-)
Also my personal opinion of important buildings may differ a lot from other peoples opinions, for example I would really like to see some of the student fraternity buildings (I already included the building of my former fraternity in my TownWalls GRF :twisted: ), like Societeit Phoenix: http://rijksmonumenten.nl/monument/1215 ... ant/delft/ or Societeit Alcuin: http://wikimapia.org/1453899/K-S-V-Sanc ... S-S-Alcuin , but that is because I still do a lot of things in the studentcommunity of Delft. Other Delft residents may have a completely different opinion about the importance of these buildings ;-)
Just looking at what you are doing at the moment, it would be best to just focus on some larger buildings (multi-tile so to say), that way it wont explode into a lot of small buildings.
Also because you may get into trouble deciding what buildings you would like to add for other (much bigger) cities. If you are adding smaller Delft landmarks, think about how many small landmarks you may need to add for Rotterdam for example ;-)
Maybe, just for fun, I would like to mention the "Porceleye Fles" https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Porceleyne_Fles , just because the world famous Delft Blue pottery is made there ;-)

By the way, I will be following your discussion with Luxtram about Delft Station, but I have to read that back again carefully when I have some more time and maybe also have taken a closer look in person (rather than just from pictures) at the actual reallife station. If there are some things that I feel that need to be added to that discussion, I will let you guys know ;-)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

IrmoTrainfan wrote:Well, I think that's about it. ;)

You could consider Molen de Roos though. It's quite a landmark in Delft, especially in area along the railway line. I believe there's no other Dutch mills available, so it may be an interesting addition anyway.
ah yes I will add that to my list.
Quast65 wrote:Maybe, just for fun, I would like to mention the "Porceleye Fles" https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Porceleyne_Fles , just because the world famous Delft Blue pottery is made there
that one could be interesting enough to add.

this project will take a very long time to complete, and given that I haven't even drawn anything from the capital yet it shows how far of I am from getting to where I want to go. (Luxtram has drawn some buildings though, so Amsterdam will be represented in the next release)
when it comes to buildings I want to draw for me it's important that they add to the authentication of the city in game. a city set like the one I'm planning will make most cities look similar and it's the objects that will make the difference.

made a start to the stadhuis of Delft, not the most beautiful view of the building but the one I need right now, if I get time in the future I'll add the front view to it.
also you'll see some more houses that I've drawn for the Dutch city set that's still in the planning, I think the size of these buildings is much better than the ones I had done earlier.

cheers.
Attachments
stadhuis.png
stadhuis.png (11.49 KiB) Viewed 3214 times

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

made some changes to Delft station, applied part of Luxtram's changes. and then changed what I mentioned earlier obout the far side feeling to thin.
so that is the red line. The image of delft is from the new batch of pictures released on spoorzone delft.
in the previous version of the station I had the ground floor planned as see through so that a glimpse of trains was possible. but with the new lower ground floor I'm not sure that works as well.
so at the moment I have the see through glass that IRL gives you a view of the bicycling parking as a way to catch a glimpse of a train entering or leaving. ideas?
Attachments
newdelft-5.png
newdelft-5.png (67.77 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
Delft-1.png
Delft-1.png (92.37 KiB) Viewed 3165 times

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I think you are getting very close!! :bow:
2 things I would like to mention:
Example193.png
Example193.png (108.67 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
- It looks like there is a dent, a bit missing at the far side.
- If you add that part, the line at the very end may become too long, moving the end point a bit more to the right may be better then. But this depends a bit on how it looks with the missing part...

Using the glass that will normally give a view to the bicycle parking is a very good idea to show tracks!!!

Some handy new pictures by the way on the Spoorzone website, they give some good views of the roof, even though they dont have a high resolution.

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Quast65 wrote:I think you are getting very close!
thanks, alright worked in the changes you suggested.
newdelft-6.png
newdelft-6.png (67.7 KiB) Viewed 3139 times
btw, can I get your opinion on the height of the tower from delft Stadhuis?
at time when I look at it I keep thinking it should be a little taller especially the lower part of the tower. but I'm not certain.

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

alright worked in the changes you suggested.
I think that looks very good! Are you now going to put the details of the roof in, or are you going to keep it this way? (to be honest, I am not sure if the roof is going to be filled in, do you know?)
can I get your opinion on the height of the tower from delft Stadhuis?
It should indeed be a bit higher, the light brown part of the thicker/lower tower, I think that should be a couple of pixels higher than the roofs of the outer buildings. In that case the smaller tower against the main tower should also become a bit higher.
This picture should help:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... adhuis.jpg

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Quast65 wrote:I think that looks very good! Are you now going to put the details of the roof in, or are you going to keep it this way? (to be honest, I am not sure if the roof is going to be filled in, do you know?)
as far as I know the roof will be completely covered, so all the black areas should become metal plating.
still going to fiddle with the way the roof changes height in certain areas and the lighting I should use for ottd.
went and had a test for the windows, applied some of the things you mentioned in the first version of this building. the windows are the same only color changes.
newdelft-7B.png
newdelft-7B.png (16.6 KiB) Viewed 3076 times
I think I have a preference for number 1.
if the feedback is positive I'll continue with the rest of the building.

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

as far as I know the roof will be completely covered, so all the black areas should become metal plating.
Good ;-) That will save a lot of detailing ;-)
went and had a test for the windows
At the moment I like 1 better too, however that may change when you paint in the windows on the shaded side, they may become too dark...
So, test it out before you add texture!
still going to fiddle with the way the roof changes height in certain areas and the lighting I should use for ottd.
I would like to suggest some changes for the gaps in the roof before you do that:
Example194.png
Example194.png (106.95 KiB) Viewed 3066 times
I think you will be able to do a better job than me, but this hopefully shows what I mean ;-)

Furthermore, for the angles/shapes of the roofparts, this may help (dont know for sure if I sent this link before):
http://www.mecanoo.nl/Projects/project/ ... tation?t=0
Its the website of the architect bureau, scroll down to the end for the 4 views, the pictures can be enlarged and give a good idea of the angles that the roof parts have and the shapes of the gaps.
Funny thing though, from those pictures I would say that the back entrance should have 2 extra gaps, but I dont think they are actually putting those in ;-)

Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

It looks to me like the angle of the back of the building is wrong.

Just done an ugly example with the orange line on the last attachment.

I've draw the orange line on the sprite so they are parallel, as you can see it demonstartes that section is very nearly following the same line as the front of the building. On the actual picture you can see they are nowhere near parallel.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (121.11 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Quast65 wrote:I would like to suggest some changes for the gaps in the roof before you do that:
Ameecher wrote: It looks to me like the angle of the back of the building is wrong.

Just done an ugly example with the orange line on the last attachment.

I've draw the orange line on the sprite so they are parallel, as you can see it demonstartes that section is very nearly following the same line as the front of the building. On the actual picture you can see they are nowhere near parallel.
well the example wasn't ugly Ameecher, it was very clear.

So I've reworked the building a bit, paying attention to both your suggestions and this is the result.
going through lots of iterations of this building, hope that the other view will be easier, but my gut tells me that will not be the case.
newdelft-8.png
newdelft-8.png (69.26 KiB) Viewed 3024 times

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

going through lots of iterations of this building
Well, it is a very difficult design to replicate and the main problem is that it is not finished yet ;-) Its hard getting good reference photo's.
But you are getting closer and closer! :bow:

Using Ameechers suggestion was a good change, that looks better!
However, I think you need to change where the gap at the end starts. I think it should be more halfway and extend beyond the end-point before it touches the curve-change of the roof.
Also, I still believe that the last gap on the left fans out a bit, just like the one in front of it, look closely at this picture from the Spoorzone website:
Delft01.jpg
Delft01.jpg (197.12 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
The change to the gap/hole at the front looks better, but I still think that the lines are not exactly right. They look to be parallel with the line between the window and the roof. I believe those lines should go a bit more downwards.
The above picture also shows this a bit.

Lastly, in my last edit, I made some changes to the roof lines going from the front towards the hole, I still think those may be better. Hard to see but I think this picture shows it a bit:
Delft02.jpg
Delft02.jpg (175.48 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
So, I still think that the line coming from the point where the front-facade bends, should end somewhere halfway the right end of the hole, not at the bottom-right point.
Also you have a line coming from the bottom-left point of the roof to the bottom-right point of the hole, I cant see that line in the pictures...

Like I said at the beginning, Its a tough building to draw, but you are getting nearer and nearer to the finish-line!

By the way, disregard my remark in a previous post about that, judging from a drawing on the architects website, it looked to me that the back should have 2 extra gaps that they didnt put in, I was wrong about that.
My spatial awareness was a bit off at the time :oops: I mean this picture:
Delft03.jpg
Delft03.jpg (36.08 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
I thought it was a view from just the backside, but it also shows one of the sides (with the 2 gaps that are indeed there), silly me :mrgreen:

Return to “Graphics Development”