Silverx50's Workshop

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Silverx50's Workshop

Post by Silverx50 »

Quast65 wrote:Wow! I think that looks very good!
Ill take a closer look tomorrow, but I think it can work!
cool, I'll await your further feedback before making anymore changes.
Quast65 wrote:Would be nice though if that flat roof is also a bit more like that one for the other view. Don't think that takes too much adjusting work...
guess that should be possible. you have the version that is completed the furthest. could I have a copy of that?
All my projects are GPLv2 License.

Dutch landmark Object Set Workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75071
My stations workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74749
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Sorry for reacting a bit late, have been very busy today... :oops:
you have the version that is completed the furthest. could I have a copy of that?
Here it is (did not texture the windows on groundlevel yet):
newdelft-FirstView_Q65Textured-01.png
newdelft-FirstView_Q65Textured-01.png (32.29 KiB) Viewed 5637 times
cool, I'll await your further feedback before making anymore changes.
This is what I came up with. The rooflines that you have drawn and that I think are correct are green, my alterations (and some added lines) are purple.
Note that I also made some changes to the gap endings in the flat rooftop. I think these are a bit more correct with regard to the shape of the flat rooftop.
delft%20other%20view3A_Q65-edit_01.png
delft%20other%20view3A_Q65-edit_01.png (10.06 KiB) Viewed 5637 times
Two areas that I am unsure of... The furthest gap ending and the way several lines connect at the ending at the right... Maybe they are ok, maybe not, please take a close look ;-)
delft%20other%20view3A_Q65-edit_02.png
delft%20other%20view3A_Q65-edit_02.png (9.46 KiB) Viewed 5637 times
What do you think?
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Quast65 wrote:What do you think?
I think I like it very much.

added a bit to it now.
delft again.png
delft again.png (15.21 KiB) Viewed 5510 times
been pretty busy this month so didn't have much time to work on this.
will you texture the roof like you did the other view? I'm going to make the adjustments needed on the other view in the meantime.

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

That looks very good!
The only thing that I would like you to consider is the shading of the side facing the busstop. I think it should be switched, so the straight part facing the busstop darkest and the point poking out a bit lighter (as I believe that is facing more towards the light).

I would be very happy with texturing the roof, wil probably do that somewhere in the next two weeks, got some more free time then. Will also see if I can prepare the code then.

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Quast65 wrote:The only thing that I would like you to consider is the shading of the side facing the busstop. I think it should be switched, so the straight part facing the busstop darkest and the point poking out a bit lighter (as I believe that is facing more towards the light).
Hi, I'll switch around the shading tomorrow to see how that looks.

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Switched the shading around, looks better.
Attachments
delft switched shades.png
delft switched shades.png (15.46 KiB) Viewed 5407 times

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Now that I'm done with most of delft, I've turned my attention back to the other stations that I still had laying around.
so returned to zwolle, didn't like what I had, and trying to fix it took more than starting over so I started over and this is what I had so far.
new zwolle.png
new zwolle.png (12.65 KiB) Viewed 5311 times
Station set out.png
Station set out.png (18.48 KiB) Viewed 5311 times
two things I've been thinking about, right now I drawn the canopy for 2 tracks, but reality it has 3 tracks and just like Haarlem I'm not certain which way I should go.

andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Silverx50 wrote:two things I've been thinking about, right now I drawn the canopy for 2 tracks, but reality it has 3 tracks and just like Haarlem I'm not certain which way I should go.
Draw what looks best, always ;)
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I dont know Zwolle station that well, so I can only judge from pictures, but that new version looks a lot better!
And I like that modern entrance to the underground stairway a lot too!
Very nice work! :bow:
The only comment I have for the moment is that the windows of the second floor look just a bit too square right now, they may be a bit better when more rectangular.
One or two pixels more at the top or bottom could make that difference (hoping you have enough room for those...)

Regarding the arched canopy:
Draw what looks best, always
The issue is not with aesthetics, but with game mechanics... In real life, the middle of the 3 tracks under the canopy is a non-platformed track, not used for (un)loading passengers, a drive-thru track so to say ;-)
If the canopy is coded as a whole, that track may be used by the game to stop trains and let them (un)load there, that looks a bit odd...

I believe that the simplest solution is something I mentioned also with the Haarlem canopy discussion, one-tile-overlapping.
So, draw it as a whole 3x1 (Two versions, one that has the facade and one that can be used to elongate it, like with the Amsterdam canopies) , with single sided platforms at track 1 and 3.
I will then cut it up in two pieces and place those in the Overlapping Tiles menu in the Dutch Station Addition Set. That way the middle row of groundtiles is empty and can be filled in by a drive-thru track.
This could also be done for the Haarlem canopy.

I must say that I prefer to rather divide things like this up in such a way that you could make a 2-track version out of segments found in a single menu and then use segments found in the waypoint-menu to add drive-thru tracks, making it wider. But I think that only works for canopies that have straight lines and not curves/arches. With arches it is almost impossible to draw/design segments in such a way that you can make the arch wider by adding waypoint-segments, without making the curve of the arch look strange... Therefor you would need to cut it up in 3 segments, where the middle segment can only be a waypoint, meaning that players cant complete the canopy with segments found in a single menu, but have to search for the missing part in another menu (the waypoint section), that could be a bit confusing.

I would therefor in this case suggest to draw the 3 tile wide version, if that feels/looks more realistic to you and I will code that into the Overlapping Tiles menu.
But! The work you have done on the 2 tile version does not have to go to waste! I can always add that as a Zwolle-style canopy, if you want. Even though it is less real, it adds variety :mrgreen:

Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

Looking good man! It's true that the canopy at Zwolle spans over three tracks. The problem is that tracks in Transport Tycoon are located relatively much further away from each other then they are in real life. In my opinion, your current sprite tackles that problem perfectly because the canopy is now not either horizontally distorted to force it to span over three TT tracks, or overall relatively too big to the station building.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I have textured the roof of the other view of Delft, does this look "logical" to you regarding the shading of the roofelements? (especially the back end)
delft_switched_shades_ROOF_TEXTURED_01.png
delft_switched_shades_ROOF_TEXTURED_01.png (31.03 KiB) Viewed 5172 times

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Thanks for all the nice words.

@Quast65
That looks really nice man. the texturing and shading looks great. I understand why you ask about the back part, I think your mostly referring to the piece of darker shade headed towards the far corner. I've looked at it for a while and I think it works as it is. in all images you see that piece have a different shade to the rest of the back area and I think this captures it well.
and with this it would seem that the long development of this station is almost at an end :]
I still need to make the small adjustment to the other view, will try to do that next week as I don't think I'll have much time this weekend.

I also had something to show.

drew the new canopy and changed the windows of the top floor as you suggested.
zwolle three track canopy.png
zwolle three track canopy.png (17.18 KiB) Viewed 5163 times
Also made the first back view and also created the different canopy entrance for that view. you'll have to see what you want to include.
backview showcase.png
backview showcase.png (21.93 KiB) Viewed 5163 times
cheers.

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Delft Station:
I understand why you ask about the back part, I think your mostly referring to the piece of darker shade headed towards the far corner.
Yes indeed that part. I am glad you agree that that part should get a darker shade, not too sure at the moment if it may be too dark... Will try a couple different shades (I have drawn the roofsegments as separate layers in Photoshop, so easy to tweak it a bit and get a couple of options).
I will also finish it off by adding the texture for the groundlevel windows.
The code and graphicstemplates are ready by the way, so it is indeed very close to be added to the station-set ;-)

Zwolle:
changed the windows of the top floor as you suggested.
That looks great!! :bow:
The only thing that jumps out a bit right now is a small detail, the clock. To me it doesnt look like it is a part of the facade at the moment.
Maybe two causes:
- the most probable one, is the white inside it. That may be a bit too bright, making it pop out, another color might tone it down a bit.
- if the above doesnt do the trick, then it may be caused by the shape of the clock, it looks too circular, a slightly more elliptical shape could be better.
A good way to check this is by giving the inside of the clock the same color as the facade first, that way you can see if the shape is good, if so, then experiment with some toned down whites/greys.
new canopy
Very nice!!
Making it three-tile wide (so with an overlap in the middle where a drive-thru track can be placed) indeed makes it look more like the real thing, however (like I said before) if it is not too much work, a two-tile version for "normal" gameplay would be nice too and I dont mind including that also.
Just one graphics comment (but you may already be working on that):
Example236.png
Example236.png (12.8 KiB) Viewed 5135 times
The link-ups of the top see-thru windows when multiple segments are placed. There was a similar issue with the lower windows in the earliest version of the canopy, but you already managed to fix those. I believe the top windows could also use a little fix to make the link-ups look better.
Other than that, I think the canopy looks great!

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Sorry for the doublepost, but I have finished the textures of this view of Delft, also did 3 versions of one of the roofsegments:
Example239.png
Example239.png (106.57 KiB) Viewed 5059 times
1. The darkest
2. Slightly lighter
3. Lightest
I like 2. the most, what do you think?

And what do you think about the texture for the groundlevel windows?

This might be better....
Example240.png
Example240.png (28.5 KiB) Viewed 5059 times

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

some nice work you did there, I like the last version you posted the most.
and I like the texture for the ground level. just noticed that I didn't draw the glass in front of the station.
Like how this came out.

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I like the last version you posted the most
Thnx, I like that one the most too, will use that.
I like the texture for the ground level
Cool! Will use that too for the other view.
just noticed that I didn't draw the glass in front of the station
No problem, I didnt forget about that, will add that when coding it into the DSA-set. Need to see it ingame anyway, to see what placement/size/shape is best to get a good view of trains going under it (ofcourse with keeping the placement/size/shape of the real thing in mind).

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

So wanted to share something I'm working on.
busy working on a new tram depot plus an object set for adding to it.

also wanted to show a version of the Rotterdam citadis tram. wanted a longer alternative to the one in the dutch tram set.
still need to figure out how to code trams though.

cheers

tracks by Foobar
lamp post by ISA
Attachments
Tram Depot.png
Tram Depot.png (15.53 KiB) Viewed 4886 times

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I have no knowledge of coding RVs so cant help you with that ;-)
Structures/buildings are my thing, so I will limit my comments to that (except for pointing out that the 2 yellow dots on the sides of the trams are an animated color right now, yellow flash, nice maybe when the vehicle is loading, but probably not when moving ;-) ), I think there are some others on this forum that have more knowledge about the looks of trams/trains and can give more help and more useful comments.

So, regarding the building, I like it, especially the walls facing the sunny side, that combination of grey and blueish grey really works.
I also like the red doors/panels, except for the darkest red that you have used, that seems to blend in a bit too much with the black outlines. It distorts the shape of the panels/doors a bit for me.
Try changing that red to another tone, or maybe the black outlines with something else, cant exactly point out how to change it, but I think some experimenting may be useful.

The roof is what needs some more work I think.... Dont know how much WIP it is right now, so I may be too early with some of the comments, but this is what comes to my mind ;-)
I dont know if you intend to make these buildings modular (so all one-tile pieces), if so, then I think these modules need to link up a bit better. Especially regarding the placement of the blue windows.
With the modules placed behind each other, there is a larger gap between 3 rows of windows, I think it is nicer if the gaps are all the same...
When placed next to each other, there is a dark grey gap, caused by the outer edges. Two things can solve that, either have a grey edge all around (so also on the front edges), or elongate the windows a bit at the end, making them link up with another segment.
Finally, the way you used the darkest blue at the top of the windows gives a bit of a strange effect to me, it looks a bit wobbly to me now, not like a straight line.... It depends on what kind of effect you want it to have, but it may need a bit of tweaking ;-)

Overall, I like the colorcombinations a lot, the greys and reds really work together and the blueish glass for the roofwindows is nice too!

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Quast65 wrote:So, regarding the building, I like it, especially the walls facing the sunny side, that combination of grey and blueish grey really works.
I also like the red doors/panels, except for the darkest red that you have used, that seems to blend in a bit too much with the black outlines. It distorts the shape of the panels/doors a bit for me.
Try changing that red to another tone, or maybe the black outlines with something else, cant exactly point out how to change it, but I think some experimenting may be useful.
thank you, will do some reworking of this building in the future, taking into account the points you mentioned.

made some more progress on the zwolle pieces. the turnarounds are pretty much done. just some thouching up on the shading and texturing and adding some roof things.
the canopies are done for the 3 tile version. just need to also add a flipped version.
also improved the two tile version entrance and extension part 1. If people want it I'll also do the other entrance version for the two tile one.
WIP zwolle pieces.png
WIP zwolle pieces.png (47.35 KiB) Viewed 4703 times
that's about it for an update.

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

another update for Zwolle.