Kamnet's ideabox

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Re: Kamnet's ideabox

Post by kamnet »

lukasz1985 wrote:Kamnet, you have many fun ideas. But why dont you just sit and try drawing something yourself?
I did, for awhile. Then life started throwing more things my way. These I'm near-jobless and trying to be 24/7 nurse/butler/chauffeur to two very sick loved ones. Sitting around and dreaming up graphics is a luxury I no longer have time for. But I've always got a minute to jot down an idea and post it someplace.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Sorry to hear about your loved one being ill .. hope they recover soon.

Sitting at a computer relaxing for a while is nice, but being with loved ones I think is nicer and should have priority. I have extra time for computers at moment as I away from my loved one getting medical problems sorted out that I can not get done where they live, but if all goes well I be back with them in July. Just over 12 weeks and my programming and coding will come to a crawl.

Keep up the ideas kamnet and others too .. some of these ideas do become a reality in the game and some help create even better ideas.

Look at what kamnet done to me .. his idea of a Golf Course and his graphics of the Dams .. also looking at some of his other sporting ideas .. just researching for ways to drawl them in a small scale.

Cheers Pal .. hope all goes well
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I've seen a good number of my thoughts and ideas eventually picked up and carried out by somebody else. No idea how much anything I've posted has inspired that, but I do know it's some.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Hi kamnet, had a go designing your basketball court idea .. here the results thanks to City Objects I used the size of their tennis Courts to get a good basketball court size.
Attachments
BasketballCourts.png
BasketballCourts.png (10.25 KiB) Viewed 5848 times
Soot Happens
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

They look nice, but IMO I think they're too large. City Object's tennis courts are as large as football fields. IMO tennis and basketball courts with sidelines should fit in a 32x32 tile.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

I was thinking that too. Would it be possible to squeeze 2 courts into a tile (or 2)? That might be a more reasonable size perhaps?
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I think your right being to large .. but making them small not be easy .. but that will test me see if can be done.
Soot Happens
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

I know it will be tricky...that's why I don't draw stuff. Sorry.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Had a try at shrinking the basketball courts 50% .. main problem after that was the white line markings became to thick. Tomorrow I look at that again but not have side line markings .. just make sure the play field stands out. Maybe just some of the markings to be shown.

I see when tomorrow comes.
Soot Happens
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

With 8 bit, sometimes just giving an impression of a line is better than trying to actually define clear lines. Our brains will frequently fill in what our eyes can't actually see.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

How's this for a smaller version of a basketball court?
Attachments
minibasketball.png
minibasketball.png (1.43 KiB) Viewed 5760 times
Soot Happens
kamnet

[IDEA] Rail Stations as Elevated Parks

Post by kamnet »

So I was just reading about Toronto's plans to build a park over railway tracks that run through prime downtown real estate. This is an easily accomplished thing in OpenTTD by simply creating stations with floating/elevated parks over them, and maybe a few objects to make them blend in. Perhaps a renewed effort of expanding and improving VAST, or something that blends in well with Japan Set or Dutch Set stations and buildings, or maybe a nice British- or American-themed set? These would certainly help to create some modern urban and metropolitan spaces within OpenTTD's sprawling cities.

NOTE 09/20/2023: Not done quite as I would have envisioned, but more sets are implementing such things as Metro Stations, including Dutch Station Sets, Japan Set Stations, and North Korean Station Sets.)
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [IDEA] Rail Stations as Elevated Parks

Post by luxtram »

kamnet wrote:So I was just reading about Toronto's plans to build a park over railway tracks that run through prime downtown real estate. This is an easily accomplished thing in OpenTTD by simply creating stations with floating/elevated parks over them, and maybe a few objects to make them blend in. Perhaps a renewed effort of expanding and improving VAST, or something that blends in well with Japan Set or Dutch Set stations and buildings, or maybe a nice British- or American-themed set? These would certainly help to create some modern urban and metropolitan spaces within OpenTTD's sprawling cities.
This is also something along the line: http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/201 ... n_the.html
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

luxtram wrote:
kamnet wrote:So I was just reading about Toronto's plans to build a park over railway tracks that run through prime downtown real estate. This is an easily accomplished thing in OpenTTD by simply creating stations with floating/elevated parks over them, and maybe a few objects to make them blend in. Perhaps a renewed effort of expanding and improving VAST, or something that blends in well with Japan Set or Dutch Set stations and buildings, or maybe a nice British- or American-themed set? These would certainly help to create some modern urban and metropolitan spaces within OpenTTD's sprawling cities.
This is also something along the line: http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/201 ... n_the.html
That's actually the article I linked to. LOL!
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

kamnet wrote:
luxtram wrote:
That's actually the article I linked to. LOL!
Indeed. Here is the actual link: http://newatlas.com/mecanoo-kaohsiung-s ... wan/43771/
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

A very good idea and indeed those kind of stations can easily be made.
There is one catch though, and that is that these stations are underground and thus have to be connected by tunnels and it would be nice then to have tunnel entrances/exits that also have matching graphics to those parks.
There are two possible solutions:
1. Work with overlapping tiles (I am already using something like that for the Metrostations in the Dutch Addition Sets, but not with park graphics)
2. Create a matching trackset, that not only has tunnel entrances/exits with park graphics, but also has covered tracks.

2. Is a very nice way to go (as overlapping tiles always will have glitches), because you are then also able to cover up trackswitches and signals. And thus your stations can handle traffic better, with those things close to them and not before a long tunnel.
Foobar has worked on something like this a while ago, his Metro Track Set: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=49476&hilit=metro+track+set
In that case the tracks and tunnels are covered either with concrete or grass tiles, but it should not be difficult to change the graphics to nice parks or possibly even houses.

Option 1. is the easiest way to go for now, but 2. would be better...

Hopefully someone will pick this idea up (I am far too busy with my own projects to also do these stations and I have never coded a trackset)!
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Quast65 wrote:A very good idea and indeed those kind of stations can easily be made.
There is one catch though, and that is that these stations are underground and thus have to be connected by tunnels and it would be nice then to have tunnel entrances/exits that also have matching graphics to those parks.
There are two possible solutions:
1. Work with overlapping tiles (I am already using something like that for the Metrostations in the Dutch Addition Sets, but not with park graphics)
2. Create a matching trackset, that not only has tunnel entrances/exits with park graphics, but also has covered tracks.

2. Is a very nice way to go (as overlapping tiles always will have glitches), because you are then also able to cover up trackswitches and signals. And thus your stations can handle traffic better, with those things close to them and not before a long tunnel.
Foobar has worked on something like this a while ago, his Metro Track Set: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=49476&hilit=metro+track+set
In that case the tracks and tunnels are covered either with concrete or grass tiles, but it should not be difficult to change the graphics to nice parks or possibly even houses.

Option 1. is the easiest way to go for now, but 2. would be better...

Hopefully someone will pick this idea up (I am far too busy with my own projects to also do these stations and I have never coded a trackset)!
If I understand the option 2 correctly, then wouldn’t it imply that there is only one tile type (say) grass for one track type?

Anyway, I once tried to do something similar and what was missing was the possibility to cover the stations nicely (with parks or something else) because there were no such station tiles. So actually what is needed is some tiles turned into tracks under what trains can drive. Metro track set would cover other issues.
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Would be great if someone could wake up Foobar ,been experimenting with the Metro set ,got and idea to use this in a Wasteland game ,transport underground away from the radiation .A few ideas popped up alternatives from the grass and concrete ,sand/mud and of course garden objects but what about city objects .Lay your track around the edge of your town with the city object track , as the town expands the track merges with the town ,a functional subway under the town .Industrial objects for the underground mining stations ,a water tile to give the illusion of a channel tunnel .Apart from the glitches the depots would need to be altered ,a brick depot does not merge with grass ,one possibility a revamp of the depot completely ,I think it looks silly a 1 tile depot can swallow a 10 carriage train .If Foobar has given up on this set ,I think it is 2 years since any activity surely there is someone out there that can take on this project .Keep up the good ideas , maybe one day we will see this idea progressing further .
Attachments
Fishywig Transport, 06-03-2119.sav
(4.56 MiB) Downloaded 119 times
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

I was planning something like this for the BRTrack set, having a 4th rail tracktype with overhead tiles coded as catenary. I believe catanery is always drawn over the top of trains etc

Return to “Graphics Development”