Auz Lineside and Roadside Objects

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Auz Lineside and Roadside Objects

Post by GarryG »

NekoMaster wrote:Looks rather nice Garry, I really like how you've gone to the effort to make the tiles look realistic. I guess you get textures off the internet and convert them to TTD pallet?
I look at many different pics on net and some in books to get ideas and I borrow different textures from what pics I find to get something that looks realistic enough for our games.

I changing the rocky creeks by butting bigger rocks along the creek banks. The ones I had before look a bit flat. Also doing some creeks through red rocks too.

Might have them testable later this evening.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Well I hope you can upload an updated GRF to Banana's so that when I finish my Scenario people will be able to get the same GRF I'm using so they get all those rocky tiles.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Hope to have them available for Bananas in next day or 2.

Ran into one problem with the rapids .. the pic I was using to convert the text I lost it when had a brown out here .. bumma .. not able to find it again so using a different one see how they will look.

EDIT: Just remembered the rapids are in the Auz_Water_Objects not in the Auz_Landscape_Objects .. so if need the Auz_Landscape could go on Bananas sooner.

Just running tests on rapids now and I got a few Christmas lights on the water .. have to do some patching .. maybe the power brown out had something to do with it.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I finished the Auz_Water_Objects and the Auz_Landscape_Objects .. at least I hope so and I turned off all the Christmas lights.

Version 7: Auz_Water_Objects

Added:

Creeks with water rapids for both normal rocks and red rocks.

Changed:

All landscaping objects now free to build such as fake creeks, reefs and fake rivers.
Auz_Water_Objects.rar
Version 7
(485.88 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Version 6: Auz_Landscape_Objects

Added:

Red Rock Water Edge Slope Aware.
Concrete Slope Aware
Concrete Water Edge Slope Aware
Sandstone Blocks Slope Aware
Sandstone Blocks Water Edge Slope Aware

Changed:

The Sand, Dirt, Mud, Gravel, Asphalt, Paving and the grass tiles are now all slope aware.

All landscaping free to make and no refunds
Auz_Landscape_Objects.rar
Version 6
(748.65 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
I do some tests in morning and if no problems found and you haven't reported any problems will release on Bananas with the next 24 hours.

Source files will be made available after I re-checked it all.

Cheers
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

A question for you all, especially those who understand coding better then I do.

I hope this will be the last issues of the above 2 files as I intend to combine them as one file.

Question is .. should I give the new file a new name

.. or ..

keep Auz_Landscape_Objects and put all the water objects in this file and mention it in Changelog and in the STR_GRF_DESCRIPTION that the Auz_Water_Objects no longer required?
Soot Happens
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I like the graphics for the rapids!! :bow:
However.... Without any form of animation they look more like frozen creeks to me...
What happens if you combine it with the animation you use for the creeks on slopes?

Regarding combining those GRFs into one (as I see it):
You could keep the name Landscape_Objects, as I see waterfeatures as part of a landscape.
However, there may be an issue with the ship and wharf objects. I dont really see those as a landscape feature...
This would lean me more towards keeping the GRFs separate....
Why do you want to combine them by the way? Only to reduce the number of GRFs used in a game, or is there another reason?
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Quast65 wrote:I like the graphics for the rapids!! However.... Without any form of animation they look more like frozen creeks to me...What happens if you combine it with the animation you use for the creeks on slopes?
Thanks Quast65 for complements. They do look a bit frozen don't they. Like to try animate them if can .. just had a look at the flow of water on dams .. maybe could do something like that.

Been asked by friend if can do rivers with rapids so I will experiment the animation with these and if it looks good and to the creeks I did.
Quast65 wrote:Regarding combining those GRFs into one (as I see it):You could keep the name Landscape_Objects, as I see waterfeatures as part of a landscape.However, there may be an issue with the ship and wharf objects. I dont really see those as a landscape feature...This would lean me more towards keeping the GRFs separate....Why do you want to combine them by the way? Only to reduce the number of GRFs used in a game, or is there another reason?
The 2 files had room to be one file and didn't think I be adding more to these so was going to combine them, but looks like that not happen, at least not yet as been given some more ideas to add such as the river rapids, rivers flowing through rocks, I have concrete and brick culverts but no short wood ones, been asked if can make any .. so think it will remain as 2 files.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

NekoMaster wrote:Well I hope you can upload an updated GRF to Banana's so that when I finish my Scenario people will be able to get the same GRF I'm using so they get all those rocky tiles.
When do you think you be finished your scenario? I will release Aus_Landscape_Objects now so it will have the red rocks, which could be a good idea that way I be able to make some big changes to that file without effecting your scenario.

Like to move the fake creeks and rivers over to the Auz_Landscape_Objects as they are landscape and terrain graphics.

The Auz_Water_Objects use for Dams, Culverts, fake bridges, Ships, Buildings, Wharves and things like that.
Quast65 wrote:What happens if you combine it with the animation you use for the creeks on slopes?
Been experimenting with this idea of yours .. and I think it will work. I can forget about the water rapid pics I seen on net and in books and do a combo of the water flowing graphics and the animation I used on the creek slopes and Dams. Just need to get the animation to work in order.
leifbk wrote:The year is supposed to be 1725. Most of the scenery is grossly anachronistic, but thanks to the AuzObjects I'm able to make at least parts of it look ancient. I imagine that a 1725 harbour would have been constructed out of poles, rocks, planks, gravel and flagstones, with a couple of wooden cranes and lots of dock workers - and almost certainly a ropewalk.
You've given me ideas .. I like to see some older style buildings and objects too around the waters edges. These be able to add to the Auz_Water_Objects.
Soot Happens
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

GarryG wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:Well I hope you can upload an updated GRF to Banana's so that when I finish my Scenario people will be able to get the same GRF I'm using so they get all those rocky tiles.
When do you think you be finished your scenario? I will release Aus_Landscape_Objects now so it will have the red rocks, which could be a good idea that way I be able to make some big changes to that file without effecting your scenario.

Like to move the fake creeks and rivers over to the Auz_Landscape_Objects as they are landscape and terrain graphics.

The Auz_Water_Objects use for Dams, Culverts, fake bridges, Ships, Buildings, Wharves and things like that.
I dunno when I'll be done as I'm taking a break after 4 days of constant building in OpenTTD and playing GTA San Andreas (with mods).

It probably won't be too much of a hassle if you break compatiblity with the current Landscape object grf, but for now so long as the objects aren't moved around in code like changing ID"s or what ever objects use it should be ok if you keep working on the GRF.

Also don't let me stop you from tweaking and progressing with your landscape set, I can always save the height map of what I have right now and redo all the rocks and what not if I have to. I might have to if you decide to combine the landscape and water stuff together into one big object set.

Maybe a Combined set could be called Auz Marine and Landscape Objects (or Just Auz Marine and Landscape)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

NekoMaster wrote:It probably won't be too much of a hassle if you break compatiblity with the current Landscape object grf, but for now so long as the objects aren't moved around in code like changing ID"s or what ever objects use it should be ok if you keep working on the GRF.
I just released Auz_Landscape_Objects Version 6 and Auz_Water_Objects Version 7 on Bananas. Those be last release before I make some big changes to them.

Will still be 2 files .. and use the same names, just that river and creeks will be included in the Auz_Landscape_Obects.

I been experimenting with animated water and can make the rivers and creeks flow in different directions. Which might be nice if want water to flow to the oceans and lakes.

I think will take me most of the day to get the templates made so hope be just copy and paste to sprites later.

I not sure how long this will take to make all these changes. Might be days or even weeks.

Can not guarantee whether or not I be changing of IDs.

If any programmers interested .. here is a png file of water animated graphics
animated water graphics.png
animated water graphics.png (9.9 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
Top left one borrowed from sprites in Fake Bridges by Zooks .. and changed them around to get 4 different directions of flow.

Rapids .. These 3 tiles are what I used in the Dams and Creek Slopes .. these colours originally from the ISR/DWE Object sets and help that Quast65 gave me many months back. Hoping these can be used to give a nice water effect where the water flows past rocks.

The bottom 4 tiles are the Water flows from the top 4 sprites so have them in order in case you want to change the flow of your projects.

Shall keep you up to date as progress is made .. cheers all
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I been changing things in Auz_Water_Objects.

Been changing the course of the rivers. From now on need to go with the flow.
GoWithTheFlow.png
GoWithTheFlow.png (61.75 KiB) Viewed 3103 times
Hope there will be 4 sets of rivers, creeks, storm water drains and river rapids so you can make your water ways to flow in what ever direction you want.

When I finish doing all the new rivers, creeks etc with water flowing in the 4 directions will then see if I can make a splash around the rocks and make the rapids animated.

I changed the Object Selection Menu as well since there will be a fair few tiles of each of the water types.

Will put the Rivers, Creeks and Storm Water in their own Section se easier to find. Probably could also put the culverts for each type with their respective water ways.

This NewGRF file has the above rivers if you like to try for your self. I have not added curves, junctions etc yet. This fill is a sample for testing purposes only.
Auz_Water_Objects.grf
(1.96 MiB) Downloaded 81 times
Soot Happens
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

GarryG wrote:
leifbk wrote:The year is supposed to be 1725. Most of the scenery is grossly anachronistic, but thanks to the AuzObjects I'm able to make at least parts of it look ancient. I imagine that a 1725 harbour would have been constructed out of poles, rocks, planks, gravel and flagstones, with a couple of wooden cranes and lots of dock workers - and almost certainly a ropewalk.
You've given me ideas .. I like to see some older style buildings and objects too around the waters edges. These be able to add to the Auz_Water_Objects.
Very good, but maybe it would be better to gather pre-20th century objects in one set?
1768_papermill.png
1768_papermill.png (483.37 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
Here's my newest creation around a paper mill. Behind the mill is the house of the proprietaire to the left, and the workers' cottages to the right. I figure that the small white house is the school and home of the deacon/schoolmaster. This was a pretty common setup in the 18th century around rural industries. If there's anything missing, it would be a small church and the pastor's abode. I figure it would be easy to lift the small church from the Swedish Houses set:
church.png
church.png (15.56 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
Religion was a large part of life in those days.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

leifbk wrote:Very good, but maybe it would be better to gather pre-20th century objects in one set?
Still room in objects sets I doing so could add some items to Auz_Roadside_Objects.
leifbk wrote: I figure it would be easy to lift the small church from the Swedish Houses set:
If the makers of Swedish Houses will allow me, will have a go putting in a copy of that church. Make it so face different directions. Also seen in Australia some churches similar to the pic you provided but not painted, just weathered timber.

Really like the pics of your game .. look really good.

Some ideas I like to add to Water_Objects is a jetty. See if can make it so play can choose how long he wants it. Also do another set of wharves with weathered timber.

But first I need to finish the changes I making to the rivers and creeks as they looking much better with water flowing.

Cheers pal and thanks for you posts .. appreciated seeing what people are doing with projects I made.

Cheers
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Basically finished the fake rivers with flowing water.
Riversflowinginthemtherehills.png
Riversflowinginthemtherehills.png (113.95 KiB) Viewed 3021 times
You can make rocky mountain rivers both grey and red rocks.

You can give it a test for ne if like while I continue on making the creeks.
Auz_landscape_Objects.grf
(2.46 MiB) Downloaded 92 times
Haven't done the rapids yet .. will get the creeks flowing first.

These water tiles been added to Auz_Landscape_Objects. Will add the creeks to here too.

Will also be make some more grey and red rock slope aware that not have the water edges so that have more variety with the slopes.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

leifbk wrote:If there's anything missing, it would be a small church and the pastor's abode.
Irwe from Swedish Houses [Version 1.1 released 06/06/10] has kindly gave me permission to use some buildings from his house set.

As requested by leifbk I added some small Churches to the Auz_Roadside_Objects.
SMALLCHURCH.png
SMALLCHURCH.png (25.99 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
Like to add a few more of the houses from the Swedish House sets too, but that be a bit later as want to finish doing the creeks and rapids and bridges first.

I not release on Bananas just yet .. wait till I add a few more buildings.

But if you can't wait and like to add Churches to your game now, here's a sample version 24 of Auz_Roadside_Objects.
Auz_Roadside_Objects.grf
(3.43 MiB) Downloaded 80 times
In Australia often see a small country church out in the country .. built to serve local farmers and weekdays used as a school. Hope to do another set with the door under the bell tower at front of church like most Australian country churches.
Soot Happens
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Nice, thank you very much!

I agree about the front door in the bell tower. That's customary here in Norway too. Maybe the Swedes have a different custom; I lived in Sweden for several years, but haven't been in any of their churches.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Just looking at some pics of old Aussie churches and one room schools .. think they be fairly easy to do so will have a go later today before do the creeks.

Have a medical appointment to go first.

Looking at some of those churches from Swedish Houses they have the Tombstones in the yard .. wonder if a cemetery be ok for a object set? Might be ok for players like me trying to make scenarios realistic as possible.

Anyway I gotta go .. cheers
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Some people must be thinking I a pain in the you know where sometimes as here an update already to Auz_Roadside_Objects.

I added a few more churches.
morechurches.png
morechurches.png (43.41 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
Put the doors on the front like many country churches have in Aussie land.

Did 2 types .. one been white washed and the other made of weatherboard and tiled roof and unpainted.
Auz_Roadside_Objects.grf
(3.44 MiB) Downloaded 95 times
Promise you I not make any more changes till next time.

Might add this to Bananas in next day or so . but before I do I make sure what I did with the Churches are ok.

Cheers
Soot Happens
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

1831_papermill.png
1831_papermill.png (428.15 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
I've been having a good time with my thriving little papermill community. In 1831 most of the old log cabins are gone, the workers have got neat little houses and have built a church.

There's a little problem with the ground beneath the remaining two log cabins, as they are built on a slope. I don't think that the ground beneath houses should be slope-aware, but it looks like the original grassy slope is shining through.

Also, I don't want to pester you, but I feel that the proprietor's house could be a little larger. I could use an old style manorial residence that fills up a 1 by 1 tile completely. Adding lenght and width (more windows) to the one that's already there would be great. Or maybe one-storey side wings? It doesn't need to be anything grand like this, which would probably need a 2 by 2 tiles square ;)
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

leifbk wrote:There's a little problem with the ground beneath the remaining two log cabins, as they are built on a slope. I don't think that the ground beneath houses should be slope-aware, but it looks like the original grassy slope is shining through.
Thank you for finding this problem. That one of my problems when make things is not think of testing properly. When I made the buildings only tested them on flat ground ,, didn't think of them being built on a slope.

So I went through many other buildings and they have same problem.

Think I fixed them all.
Auz_Roadside_Objects.grf
(3.43 MiB) Downloaded 108 times
This problem you found has given me an idea. Be nice to have some buildings specially single log cabins made for slopes. In stead of having the foundation have the building sit centre of slope and side of building on the lower part of slope have its own foundation. Might be a novelty having a log cabin in the hills for a fur trapper and have a few bears in the woods near.

Something like this:
House6.png
House6.png (4.33 KiB) Viewed 2868 times
The problem may also be in some of the Auz_Lineside_Objects too .. so will check those during the day and see if need to do new set.

Cheers pal
Soot Happens

Return to “Graphics Development”