Auz Lineside and Roadside Objects

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Auz Lineside and Roadside Objects

Post by GarryG »

I going to moves the fence objects from Auz_Lineside_Objects to the Auz_Roadside_Objects.

Next time I release them I will release together so uses can keep up to date and hope not have to restart a game you have going.

When I put on BaNaNaS will zip them both as one download.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Hi all,

I going to put here both the object sets so that if you start a game with them hopefully you be able to update your saved games as I update these files.

First here is: Auz_Lineside_Objects .. it is version 9.
Auz_Lineside_Objects.grf
(944.55 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
No longer has any fences.
Will be adding more wooden style foot bridges, station buildings and maybe a few more signal boxes and staff huts.

Here's Auz_Roadside_Objects .. version 1.
Auz_Roadside_Objects.grf
(85.25 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
It now has the Fences including a new set .. farm fences with the dirt track.

Also has the Wooden Overpass .. but only in one direction Northwest to South East at moment as still haven't figured out why the purchase icons are showing the same image.

I think I bitting off more then I can chew .. some of the ideas I have and what people suggested .. the NML coding is beyond my knowledge to make them work successfully. The health problem I have makes it hard to understand a lot of it. If someone like to volunteer to do the coding for me with some sections when I get stuck be so much appreciated. If like to help please PM me.
Soot Happens
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I think I bitting off more then I can chew .. some of the ideas I have and what people suggested .. the NML coding is beyond my knowledge to make them work successfully.
Never be afraid to just ask ;-)
If you run into a problem, or have an idea and would like to know if it is possible to create, just explain what you want to do or where you think the problem is.
When I first started out with GRFs I never coded anything in my life before. I just tried it out, just like you ;-) By looking at simple pieces of code I noticed patterns and things that changed, that way I figured out what the different pieces of code did. Eventually I also ran into the more advanced possibilities of coding and when I wasnt able to figure it out myself, I just asked here in the forums and I always found someone willing to answer my questions.
Like said before, I dont code in NML, so cant really help you with that. But I can recognise some issues, because I often have ran into them myself (for example the problem with overlapping tiles) and therefor could be able to generally point out what might be wrong, so someone with better knowledge of NML is able to pinpoint and suggest fixes.

Coding is difficult, thats why there are not many people doing it ;-) , but you have already made such great steps in trying to understand it!! Keep up the great work :bow: and, again, never be afraid to just ask ;-)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Thanks Quast65 .. 3iff, planetmaker, Andythenorth, Eddy Arfik and others have all helped me with some problems, but unfortunately I read and read what they tell me and just doesn't sink in.

3iff was the first to try teaching me NML and started out teaching me to do town names .. a simple thing like that he took several goes to get me to understand what to do. Much obliged to him to persevere with me and kept trying to show me what to do. He then started me with the Industry set Auzind by allowing me to practice with his SPI and also gave me copy of the FIRS 1.4.3 NML to practice with.

To try and explain to you and others why I have this problem. Have any one seen the long 6 feet metal pinch bars the railway use to move wagons by hand and to pull dog spikes out? I got hit on side of the head with one back in 2004. Almost cut my right ear lob off and fractured my skull from just above the right eye to above the right ear and did brain damage. Some of the brain cells on right side are dead and some permanent damage. Basically had to train the left side to do what right side used to do. It effected my eyes that why I find picking the different shades of some colours when doing the sprites, so to help with that I go searching for other people graphics and work that has simular to what I need to do and clone the colours to my work and hope it right.

My mind was a lot worse 12 months ago, but since I started doing this coding and keeping my mind active things has improved some, but some may never improve.

Before when I tried read a book some times have to read a page several times to remember what I read. That has improved some over the past year since I started this coding as it making my mind work by staying active.

Top it all off I have old-timers problems .. I 61 now, but still enjoy Transport Tycoon. Brought my first copy when it was on 2 floppy discs and use DOS operating system.

Need someone to actually do the coding for me for a few things: (Once I see how it is coded .. I can clone it to other sections after that).

The coding I not able to find the answers to are getting creeks, roads and fences to work on slopes as I get the blue question mark. So how to remove the question mark?

The footbridges, the wooden road overpass, as seen in the pics previous platforms and line fences show on top of these instead of under them.

I tried doing overlapping roads so that the sealed roads will look like the gravel. Depends what side of the sealed road tile is place to overlap the main road if it works as vehicles pass under the gravel not on top.

Thanks fella for what help you all given me to date.
Soot Happens
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Sad to hear about your condition...

However, it is very nice that, besides contributing to this game with your projects, this also helps in improving your mind a bit!!
Apart from that, coding is still very difficult, even for people without your condition ;-) So again, a big thumbs up for trying!!

Back on topic ;-)

You are indeed right that when you want to change the appearance of an actual useable road via overlapping that this only works when you place those overlaps on a certain side of the actual road.
I have some of those tiles in the ISR/DWE-style objects set. Especially T-crossings and X-crossings need some special graphics and coding for those to work. Let me know if you would like me to explain how I managed to do those.

Regarding your two problems:

- Overlapping, with the fences etc showing up on top of the overlap: This is a boundingbox issue, a NML-coder should be able to point out where the boundingboxes are defined.

- Slopes and the questionmark, this has to do with the basesprite that you refer to in your code, again a NML-coder should be able to point out where those are defined.

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

actual useable road via overlapping
I started working on gravel and dirt roads overlapping the main roads so looks like vehicles are using them.
Overlap Roads.png
Overlap Roads.png (15.11 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
Here's a sample.

The blank tile that is part of the overlap tiles, like to do a few more with something in them so not all blank if you make a long section of these roads. Maybe a house, some animals a tree, not sure but will think of something.

Still need to do the curves and intersections.

PS Vehicles curtesy of Polroads set.
Soot Happens
Mikk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mikk »

Wow all that and you still manage to produce the best stuff for this game. Sorry if ive been a bit demanding. You dont have to do anything. You have done way more than most of us already. The items you have made make this game 100 times better for me. I too have been playing since the beginning. Bought my first copy of the game on 2 floppys from Dick Smith way back in the early 90s and have been playing on and off for years.
But lately this is the only game I have played. Thanks to you and you marvelous creations I am loving it.

Did I gather from your comments earlier that from now on we should be able to use your grfs in games and update them and they will still work? Thats very handy. I like to play games for a long time and develop things from the early 1800s right up to the 22nd century or so. lol. It helps with testing everything too. By the time I get sick of it I have usually used just about everything there is in the game.

I dont know if I can but Im interested in learning how to make things for the game. Im not very artistic and doubt I could draw trains or buildings etc but I might be able to learn to code things. Any ideas where to find information to help? The only thing I have ever done is play the game but you have shown me how much possibility there is and I will have a go at it.

I see you are from Newcastle. I made a heightmap you might like.
Attachments
A map of the NSW Central Coast. Sort of!
A map of the NSW Central Coast. Sort of!
nswcc.png (65.4 KiB) Viewed 992 times
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I got side tracked from the Overlapping roads and started counting sheep.

If you like to count sheep while playing the game here is your chance.
Counting sheep.png
Counting sheep.png (8.29 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
The horses curtsy of Supercheese and his EyecandyVehicles, the sheep from Industrial Stations Renewal and FIRS, the dogs are my own making, the tractor from Industrial Stations Renewal.

Going to also do some tiles with animals as there are no horses except for what you find on the roads from different vehicle sets.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Been trying to travel down the main line designing the overlapping roads, but keep getting turned into sidings and branch line . the branch line I on at moment has me doing more dirt roads that go North-South and East-West. Think I will stay on this branch line for a while and do this with the Gravel Road and the Dirt Tracks.
DirtRoadsUpdate.png
DirtRoadsUpdate.png (13.38 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
See if I can design intersections .. which might be tricky.
Would you use these road objects?

Before anyone ask .. the answer is no .. vehicles can not use them.

Update:

Junctions are easy to make with the North-South and East-West roads ... have a look.
DirtRoadsUpdatejct.png
DirtRoadsUpdatejct.png (9.7 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
Now to do the gravel and tracks like these.
Last edited by GarryG on 23 Feb 2016 06:22, edited 1 time in total.
Soot Happens
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

These road objects can be used for access to farms and mines for example.
Gravel roads.jpg
Gravel roads.jpg (50.7 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
I think the color of the gravel road can be used as in the screenshot. This is my opinion :) .

Most importantly - you don't stop on the achieved results. You do it very well. Well done :)) .
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I think the color of the gravel road can be used as in the screenshot. This is my opinion :) .
I mainly choose the colour I did for the gravel road as it same colour that is used in FIRS Quarries .. looks like been using that gravel from the quarries to make these roads.

The brown dirt I not sure with yet .. should I leave as is .. should I change its colour ???

Maybe it could be changed to either blackish-grey for black soil plains, could use colours of your screenshot which looks like blue metal dust (crushed ballast). Also been testing ideas to do a red soil colour what it is like out west in Australia. Those who have driver on those bulldust roads in Australia would have enjoyed it. Even with windows up and air-con on the dust still got into everything. When it rained it stuck to everything, slippery to drive on and when walk on it stick to your shoes and make you inches taller (woops should have said centimetres).

When I lived out west .. had a mud storm .. first was a red dust storm and right behind that was a light shower of rain. With the dust still in the air the rain turned it into mud so ended up thin layer of mud on everything.

First I'll finish the idea I working on now with Overlapping roads and the road designs shown above and later will decide if change colours to any of the roads.

Thanks for your suggestions .. all appreciated.
Soot Happens
Mikk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mikk »

OMG Yes I would use these.
It is becoming apparent that I am going to spend more time prettying the place up with all the lineside, roadside and farm objects etc. Ill never have time to run trains. :lol:
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Finished the gravel roads with the different direction roads.
GravelRoadUpdates.png
GravelRoadUpdates.png (258.33 KiB) Viewed 2970 times
The curve pieces just a little out of alignment apart from that I think all looks good.

See if can do the dirt tracks now.

Before I can release a copy of these roads I'll try and finish the overlap roads first .. so could be late tonight or some time tomorrow before it be ready.

After this I think be nice to do some of animals .. farm Objects already got small groups of sheep and cattle so I will not do like this .. I try do mass herds/flocks.

Enjoy counting the sheep.
Soot Happens
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I really like those herds/flocks!! :bow:

And I like the shapes of the fake roads, but I have a remark about the yellow gravel and dirt roads (keep in mind, this is a matter of my personal taste):

- The edges are very sharp, because of that they dont really blend into the grass. What you could try is using the texture of the dirt tracks (those roads with 2 lines, that look very very good and really blend in nicely) and place one of those lines directly on the outsides of the dirt road and gravel road (for the gravel road you should then change the color to the yellows ofcourse). That way you may get a nicer transition from the grass to the road.

That way this:
Auz08.png
Auz08.png (33.55 KiB) Viewed 2955 times
Turns into this:
Auz09.png
Auz09.png (34.26 KiB) Viewed 2955 times
That gives a more natural feeling to me (again, may be personal taste ;-) )

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Garry - you, sir, are a beast. I much admire the work that you've put into all of these sets. Nothing short of amazing.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Like your idea Quast65 of the roads. Doing the dirt should be fairly easy enough. The dirt road I started using the Useless Tracks which has the spray of dirt to the sides and then changed my mind and filled it in thicker with colour.

The gravel road I put the brown edge to but maybe it not really needed to look like the gravel been laid on top of dirt roads.

To make sure the new roads that run north-south and east-west fit .. basically had to neaten up the gravel roads .. so need some messing up again along the edges and mayde do some what you said.
I'll give it a try and see what looks like .. but this might not be till Thursday .. as I got appointments and other commitments most of tomorrow afternoon and more most of the day on Friday.

Just finished the dirt tracks.

What needed now is the hill climbs, creek crossing and level crossings.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Well fellas,

I been doing some updates to the Unsealed Roads. You can now go into them hills.

Still got the blue question marks for the slopes but does not affect construction work.

Anyone like to test them for me?
(Wooops I forgot the animals) They in this one
Auz_Roadside_Objects.grf
Animals in this one
(103.29 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
The Dirt roads I done what Quast65 suggested and dirtied the grass a bit. Still need to do something simular to the gravel roads as they soooo neat at moment. Want the brown edge as it represents some dirt roads been upgraded to gravel .. but I sure trucks and cars and the rev-heads would have sprayed gravel on to the grass and maybe a bit of brown dirt too.
Theresroadsinthemhills.png
Theresroadsinthemhills.png (19.11 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
Been suggested I try do cattle grids on some of the roads .. what ya think?

Hope ya like.

I not do the overlapping roads for a while as some roads are difficult to overlap such as one of the corners and the T and X intersections.

Cheers
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Anyone like to have giant grass hoppers in their game?
Kangaroos.png
Kangaroos.png (1.83 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
In other words Kangaroos.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Hi, I placing the next sample here a bit early so can have a look at for next 12 hours or more and report any issues that I not know of. .. I not doing anymore for today .. to buggered from what I been through this afternoon.
Auz_Roadside_Objects.grf
(111.17 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
This version has the wooden overpass facing NW-SE and SW-NE now .. but still haven't found why things show on top of the bridge that should be under it. I know I could ask help, but I wait another few days .. just see if I can figure it out .. as they say 'If don't succeed at first try try again' .. so I'll try try a few more times.

Has anyone got kangaroos in the top paddock? I have and now you have the opportunity to do same. I added some animals to the set .. so far only Kangaroos and Horses. There are sheep and cows in the road section. Hope soon do several tiles of sheep and cows so you can have large herds if wish.

The horses curtesy of Supercheese and McZapkie. I don't know if I can use these for the racecourse if I make it, as not sure if these horses are thoroughbreds, stockhorses or what bred they are .. forgot to ask Supercheese and McZapkie what they was. :)

Hope you enjoy.

I going to go watch some TV with my eyes closed for a while.

PS Forgot to tell you .. check out BaNaNas and see the Dutch Station Set additions that been released. Really great and they have the footbridges that I made with the U-Shape stairs. Much better place for them as it extends the coverage area of the station they are attached too. .. I now intend to alter those footbridges soon in my set to be of different designs to look more like older styles.
Soot Happens
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

but still haven't found why things show on top of the bridge that should be under it.
Would you please post the code of that bridgeobject here, I will try to take a look and figure out with my knowledge of NFO-coding what you may have to change.

Return to “Graphics Development”