[32bpp] GETS - German Extrazoom Train Set (development)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Garlic_Bread42
Engineer
Engineer

[32bpp] GETS - German Extrazoom Train Set (development)

Post by Garlic_Bread42 »

GETS 0.1.3 now on Bananas!
GETS013.png
GETS013.png (144.49 KiB) Viewed 24743 times
GETS is growing and it's time to do a new update - We started working on freight wagons and added a bit of everything.
Still beta, but we're slowly getting where we want it to be.
As always: Critics and Feedback highly welcome.

Changelog 0.1.3:
[+] Spoiler
Change: Running/purchase cost updated
+Add: KPEV Class S10/BR 17.0
+Add: KPEV Class G8.1/ BR 55.25
+Add: KPEV Class T9.1/BR 92.1
+Add: Bay. C IV/BR 53.80
+Add: Bay EP 5/BR E 52
+Add: DB BR 151
+Add: DB BR V 80
+Add: DB BR V 180
+Add: DRG/DB Kof II
+Add: DB BR 614
+Add: DB BR 401
+Add: DB BR 420
+Add: Box Van G02
+Add: Box Van G10
+Add: Box Van Gl 11
+Add: Box Van G20
+Add: Box Van Gmhs 35
+Add: Refrigerated Van "Berlin"
+Add: Refrigerated Van Gkh
+Add: Livestock Van Vh Altona
+Add: Express Goods Van Gh05
+Add: Express Goods Van LEIG-Unit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.1.2.:

After teaming up with Simozzz he already contributed a bunch of sprites wich partly have been coded and included.

Changelog 0.1.2:
[+] Spoiler
+Added parameter for running cost
+Added paramenter for purchase cost
Change: reworked running/purchase cost
+Add: KPEV Class P8/ BR 38.10-40
+Add: KPEV Class T18/ Br 78
+Add: KPEV ES 6 "Halle"
+Add: KPEV ES 9 "Halle"
+Add: DB BR 101
+Add: DB BR E03/103
+Add: DRG BR E16
+Add: DRG BR E17
+Add: DRG BR E18
+Add: DB BR 120
+Add: DRG BR E32
+Add: DB BR 146.2 Traxx 2
+Add: K.Bay.Sts.B. EG 1/ BR 73.0
+Add: DB BR 185.2 Traxx 2
+Add: KPEV EG 538/BR 91.3
+Add: DB BR 193 Vectron
+Add: DB BR V200.0
+Add: DB BR V200.1/BR 221
+Add: DB BR 245
+Add: DRG ET 25
+Add: KPEV Luggage Car
+Add: KPEV Post Coach
+Add: KPEV 4-axle compartment coach
+Add: KPEV Express Coach
Even though much more complete than the first version below, i'd still consider this as a beta-version.
As always, criticism is highly welcome.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original first post:

GETS is my first ever attempt to draw and code something.
Though i'm a long term reader (and player) of OTTD, i've been more than impressed by Timberwolfe's Voxel-based Sets.
After discovering his beautiful tutorials and ocassionally reading in the discord channel, i've eventually decided to draw some german trains.

The set contains a few locos, coaches (for now only passenger transport) and some MU's as you may see below. Further rolling stock is planned and will most certainly come in the future.
showcase.png
showcase.png (755.9 KiB) Viewed 28055 times
Techincal data is mostly from the real-world vehicles, including capacity data. All liveries are real-world based and accesible through refit menu.

Before doing this, i did never code anyhting nor did i draw or use 3D-stuff. Which means every kind of constructive critiscm is welcome.

Obviously, this grf is very beta-version and i do not recommend using it in any kind of game you want to play for a longer timespan.

Last, but not least i'd really like to thank the wonderful OTTD-community which not only (re-)created a game i propably spent thousands of hours with, but also (especially folks on the discord) is utterly supportive and helpful.
Super-special thanks go to Timberwolf, 2TallTyler, Simozzz, Emperor Jake, andythenorth and a bunch of others who helped with stupid nml-questions, gave advice and suggestions, and so on.

Have a merry christmas and happy holidays.

File is here, sources available on the repo, everything GPL V2.
https://github.com/GarlicBread42/GETS/b ... s0.1.1.grf
Last edited by Garlic_Bread42 on 29 Apr 2022 15:30, edited 3 times in total.
temporal8
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: [32bpp] GETS - German Extrazoom Train Set (development)

Post by temporal8 »

Glad to see more people creating Stuff for Opentdd, it looks good.
Real Projects 32bpp releases:

Real Semi Trucks 32bpp: viewtopic.php?t=90996
Real Houses Eyecandy Objects 32bp: viewtopic.php?t=90767
Real Ships 32bpp: viewtopic.php?t=90733
Real Industries 32bpp: viewtopic.php?t=90183
Real Houses Townset 32bp: viewtopic.php?p=1254605
Real Stations 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1255635
Real Cars 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1249244
Real Vehicles 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1253581
Real Bus 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1249245
Real Trucks 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1254468
Real Parks 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1250255
Argentina World Cup 2022 Champions Bus 32bpp viewtopic.php?p=1257026
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

I've secretly been hoping for more extra zoom train sets ever since Timberwolf released his so I'm happy to see this.

edit: I have two minor points of criticism.

a) I feel like the shading is a bit too heavy or, to be precise, the front on some of your vehicles seems too bright in comparison to the rest of the vehicle. This is especially noticeable on the steam engine in the top row.
b) Some of the colors feel a bit too dull, especially the "verkehrsrot" vehicles like the double-deckers in the bottom row, but also the red parts on the steam engines could be a bit more vibrant.

On the other hand I think you pretty much nailed the beige-blue color scheme on the 111 (?) and the Rheingold color scheme.
erdek
Engineer
Engineer

Post by erdek »

Congrats for been able to developed those trains!. Even with the help of the tutorials and other developers it is a great achievement, IMO. :bow:
Valle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Valle »

Very cool set, keep up the good work! Is the cost behavior of the vehicles already in the intended shape? The purchase costs seem very low, while at the same time, running costs are extremely high. Parameters to adjust purchase & running costs individually could be a useful feature.

Edit: I think I have discovered a bug. My game is running in the year 2818, but the year-based speed limit increases for n-Wagen and m-Wagen do not seem to work in this range anymore. They remain limited to 120 km/h and 140 km/h.
Garlic_Bread42
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Garlic_Bread42 »

Apologies for taking so long to answer at first, but many thanks for all the kind words.

Taschi wrote: 24 Dec 2021 19:53
a) I feel like the shading is a bit too heavy or, to be precise, the front on some of your vehicles seems too bright in comparison to the rest of the vehicle. This is especially noticeable on the steam engine in the top row.
b) Some of the colors feel a bit too dull, especially the "verkehrsrot" vehicles like the double-deckers in the bottom row, but also the red parts on the steam engines could be a bit more vibrant.

On the other hand I think you pretty much nailed the beige-blue color scheme on the 111 (?) and the Rheingold color scheme.
thanks for your critics, Taschi.
For a): I did experiment a bit with the GoRender, but unfortunately either the side of the vehicle gets too dark or the front is as shown above. So we'll have to live with that for the moment.
For b) I'm still improving on voxel-skills, so the aforementioned BR 44 will most likely get a remake in the future. For now, you might compare the older Br. 44 against the most recent steamer i've drawn:
oldnewsteam.png
oldnewsteam.png (29.34 KiB) Viewed 27205 times
Valle wrote: 07 Jan 2022 16:10 Very cool set, keep up the good work! Is the cost behavior of the vehicles already in the intended shape? The purchase costs seem very low, while at the same time, running costs are extremely high. Parameters to adjust purchase & running costs individually could be a useful feature.

Edit: I think I have discovered a bug. My game is running in the year 2818, but the year-based speed limit increases for n-Wagen and m-Wagen do not seem to work in this range anymore. They remain limited to 120 km/h and 140 km/h.
Thanks for your critics, too Valle. Purchase and running cost are not final and will get some balancing in the future. I like the idea of a parameter, too. Once i get my head wrapped around coding such, i'll do that.
For the speed-bug, this should be solved in the next release.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

just mentioning that i still have all this code for CETS lying around, which could use some graphics to go along with it.
Garlic_Bread42
Engineer
Engineer

[32bpp] GETS 0.1.2 on bananas

Post by Garlic_Bread42 »

Officially teamed up with Simozzz, who contributed a huge load of sprites already and kept me busy coding them the last days/weeks.
For an example of his work just take a look at all the wonderful electrics on the first page.

Enough stuff done, this is now to release 0.1.2 with a huge load of electric locos added.
Also added a paramenter on purchase and running cost, even though i tried to balance costs against IronHorse.

Please feel free to continue criticising the work. Even if i do not reply on a daily basis, i read and appreciate this.
Eddi wrote: 14 Jan 2022 21:39 just mentioning that i still have all this code for CETS lying around, which could use some graphics to go along with it.
Feel free to use the sprites in my repo - they're all GPL V2.
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

:bow: :bow: Looks lovely, very promising!

I think I can love a German Trains Set, no doubt.
Is extra stuff going to be added in future times?
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
Garlic_Bread42
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Garlic_Bread42 »

currently working on the next update with Simozzz, so yes, there will be more stuff.
bassem.90
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bassem.90 »

Sooo coollll is there any plan to make 32bpp planes set ? That would be awesome if done, TTD really need it 🙏🙏
bandit94
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bandit94 »

Cool set, played around a bit lately. Very Nice!
Question, would you add push-pull functionality in the future?
Would be really awsome if the steering carriage's are functional.

Keep up the good work!!!
Garlic_Bread42
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Garlic_Bread42 »

bandit94 wrote: 18 Feb 2022 11:18 Cool set, played around a bit lately. Very Nice!

Keep up the good work!!!
Thanks for the kind words - concerning the push-pull functionality, i will not add it as long as this doesn't get implemented as a real feature of ottd.
I know some grf's have this coded in a rather hacked way of doing it, but neither am i able to code such nor am i willing to. sorry.
bandit94
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bandit94 »

Garlic_Bread42 wrote: 20 Feb 2022 14:47
bandit94 wrote: 18 Feb 2022 11:18 Cool set, played around a bit lately. Very Nice!

Keep up the good work!!!
Thanks for the kind words - concerning the push-pull functionality, i will not add it as long as this doesn't get implemented as a real feature of ottd.
I know some grf's have this coded in a rather hacked way of doing it, but neither am i able to code such nor am i willing to. sorry.
I understand, good point.
Good Luck with completing the set, can't wait for the next update.
Keep up the good work!
Garlic_Bread42
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [32bpp] GETS - German Extrazoom Train Set (development) - 0.1.3

Post by Garlic_Bread42 »

Here you go - check the first post on todays update, containing more of everything.

Too we started going down the rabbit hole of freight wagons. The first batch of box cars for pre-DB era is nearly complete.
bandit94
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [32bpp] GETS - German Extrazoom Train Set (development) - 0.1.3

Post by bandit94 »

AWSOME, going to play around with it tonight.
Garlic_Bread42
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [32bpp] GETS - German Extrazoom Train Set (development) - 0.1.4

Post by Garlic_Bread42 »

A few weeks ago, wyndbain contributed a dozen new liveries for the Talents, which are now included.
On top, he drew the first incarnation of the FLIRT-EMU's. First one is also included.

Besides that there is a bit of everything, new Prussian stuff, new tankers, new Electrics. Just have a look yourself:
gets0.1.4.png
(696.14 KiB) Not downloaded yet
As always: Please leave comments and stuff, Download available via Ingame Downloader.

Complete Changelog:
[+] Spoiler
+Change: Running/Purchase Cost for MU's
+Add: KPEV G12/BR 58.2
+Add: KPEV T12/BR 74.4
+Add: KPEV T14/BR 93.0
+Add: Bavarian EP 1/BR E 62
+Add: DRG E 77
+Add: DRG E95
+Add: DRG VT 709
+Add: DRG VT 713
+Add: DRG VT 757
+Add: DRG ET 31
+Add: DB ET 30
+Add: DB BR 423
+Add: BR 428 "FLIRT"
+Add: KPEV 3-Axle Compartment Coach
+Add: KPEV 3-Axle Baggage Car
+Add: KPEV 3-Axle Post Coach
+Add: DRG ES 25 (Trailer for ET 25)
+Add: DVT "Hasenkasten"
+Add: Caboose "PWG 99"
+Add: 1885 Tanker
+Add: 1902 Tanker
+Add: 1915 Tanker
+Add: Tanker "Bauart Krupp"
+Add: 1885 Charcoal Tanker
+Add: 1902 Charcoal Tanker
+Add: Boxcar "Gbs"
+Add: Boxcar "Gbs"
+Add: Sliding Wall Van "Hbis 297"
bandit94
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bandit94 »

Love the update. Especially the DB 423 and the hasenkasten steuerwagen. Can't wait for a Wittenberger and Kalsruher steuerwagen.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers!!
Valdez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Valdez »

Looks great, will be watching and testing
My visits on the forums are sporadic only, so PMs may go unanswered for a long time. If you wish to report a bug etc., the best option is via DM or ping on r/Openttd Discord
bassem.90
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bassem.90 »

I tried to download the set but the connection was cut , I tried to download again from the online but I couldn't since it looked green as downloaded but in fact nothing was downloaded and in the game nothing appear. Please if you can solve this issue by posting the latest version in the GitHub so we can download it and copy it manual in the data folder. Thank you so much and much appreciated 🙏🙏🙏

Return to “Graphics Development”