Auztralian Industries (AuzInd)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

krawco
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Auztralian Industries (AuzInd)

Post by krawco »

First of all, I would like to thank you for this great plugin / newgrf / game mode / whatever I should call it (I only play multiplayer games using a game client provided by guys running the servers, so I really don't know what's what =P )

Recently we got a new server running your thing and initialy I got very excited for the amount of industries and some new ( to me at least ) game mechanics. After a while of playing and figuring things out I realized many things either didn't work or I was doing sometihing wrong. As it was a new server I assumed I should report the bugs in their forums where I was told there's nothing they could do about it because they are not the creators of AuzInd, so ... uhm... here I am.

I guess I'll just copy and paste what I wrote there:

[+] Spoiler
I am not sure what it is that I found - I think it's more of a text error rather than a bug.

1. A goods shed (small) industry window says it requires liquid marchendise, fresh produce and goods but it doesn't accept the fresh produce. Instead it accepts parcels (I did try to deliver both). I am not sure what it means for industry production as those parcels don't appear on cargo waiting list.

2. Another issue is with loading bank A industry. It does accept fresh produce, liquid marchendise and timber, however, only the fresh produce appears on cargo waiting list.

3. Builders yard doesn't register any building materials delivered nor it produces any goods.

At this point all my enthusiasm begins to fade =(

I will update this when I figure out more.

ad #2
I tried to deliver liquid marchendise only (I used mixed train before) - neither that nor building a separate station helped solve the issue

ad #3
I tried to deliver building materials from local source and another town - either way the yard doesn't work.

ad #1,2,3
It would seem cargo waiting lists for various industries that are there to accept cargoes (builders yard, gas station, grocery store - I am using FIRS examples to give you idea what I mean) don't affect anything. Some of these industries have a small base production that can be only increased by town population - delivering some or every cargo they require does nothing. Regular factories that require something to produce something else work just fine.
I really hope this doesn't come out unappretiative :bow:
Keep up the great work!
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

krawco wrote:First of all, I would like to thank you for this great plugin / newgrf / game mode / whatever I should call it (I only play multiplayer games using a game client provided by guys running the servers, so I really don't know what's what =P )
Thanks for reporting these issues.

Do you now what version they using?

The earlier versions did have a issue .. the latest is AuzInd170.

Cheers pal.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Hi krawco,

Looks like the server is using a older version of my AuzInd set.

The latest can be found in downloads called "Australian Industries Set Auzin"

It is Version 7 of AuzInd170.

Or you can download this copy.
AuzInd170.rar
(1.47 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
I planning to make a lot of changes to AuzInd after I finish my Station and Platform sets.

Because I can make Station and Platform sets of Goods Sheds, Loading Banks, Livestock Siding, Intermediate Forest Siding and a few others,

I be replacing these in the Industry set with something different.

If anyone has some suggestions for a Industry/Commercial to replace the above let me know.

Cheers all
Soot Happens
krawco
Engineer
Engineer

Post by krawco »

Yes, you are right. The server is running AuzInd 160. I am not sure why, because the guy who is responsible for managing these things is very experienced. It must be intentional and the only reason I can think of is not giving any advantage to anyone before the tournament in January.

Thanks for quick reply, I am happy to know AuzInd is getting updated as for me it beats FIRS which is my favoritte game mode so far. Once we get the latest version on the server I will happily report any issues I find - untill then - Merry Christmas and happy New Year!
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

krawco wrote:Yes, you are right. The server is running AuzInd 160. I am not sure why, because the guy who is responsible for managing these things is very experienced. It must be intentional and the only reason I can think of is not giving any advantage to anyone before the tournament in January.
Thanks you for reporting issues.

I test each Industry I add, but some times it some how interferes with a Industry previously added so sometimes missed seeing these.

My Industries originally based on FIRS .. I used FIRS 1.4.3 for my coding and most of the Industries. But now I like to start replacing some buildings with my own designs.

If you have an idea for a Industry let me know se if can add.

Cheers pal .. and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too and to everyone else who reads this post.
Soot Happens
krawco
Engineer
Engineer

Post by krawco »

I favoritte industry is aussie hip hop but that wouldn't fit in in the game, would it? =P
I find australian english very easy to understand (at least in music) - same, as sweedish english - both have very clear pronounctiation. Well, at least to me, I am not a native speaker, maybe that's why? I dunno =P

Now for real, I think you should add some sort of "building materials" or "wooden tools" and "metal tools" - in general some cargo that a town would require to grow. I like how production of many industries in your mod depends on nearby towns' population - it could add more depth to citybuilder game mode which is also my favoritte =)
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

krawco wrote:I favoritte industry is aussie hip hop but that wouldn't fit in in the game, would it? =PI find australian english very easy to understand (at least in music) - same, as sweedish english - both have very clear pronounctiation
I love any music that can understand the words and the story the song is trying to tell. Best of all music from 50's 60's and 70's Folk, country, pop, anything that make sense :)
krawco wrote:Now for real, I think you should add some sort of "building materials" or "wooden tools" and "metal tools" - in general some cargo that a town would require to grow. I like how production of many industries in your mod depends on nearby towns' population - it could add more depth to citybuilder game mode which is also my favoritte =)
If I can like to add "Depends of nearby Town Population" to all Industries, even Mines. Some farms too especially those that harvest crops.

I like to add some small Industries that build within or close to a town that you would find in towns. Your idea has some prospects too.

Maybe combine Manufacturing Supplies and Engineering Supplies together and just call it Supplies.

And make Grain and Wheat as separate cargos like I did before. Maybe have Wheat and maybe Cereal Crops.

If I can make a longer chain of cargos from the raw material to the finish product.

Sheep farms thinking of changing these to no longer produce Wool .. instead take the sheep to a Shearing Shed and produce the Wool. Sheep farms in Australia usually produce Livestock Wool and Grains (Wheat, Barley, Oats). So if sheep go to Wool sheds, Sheep farms can then produce Livestock and Grain.

MILK it real it goes from dairy Farm to a Dairy where it is bottled and make into other dairy produces before heading to shops. At moment it is changed to FOOD. So like to change this to something like Dairy Produce and take to a shop ina town and from here it changes to Food.

They some of my ideas. Will ponder for a week or so to make sure which idea is better.

Cheers
Soot Happens
krawco
Engineer
Engineer

Post by krawco »

If I can like to add "Depends of nearby Town Population" to all Industries, even Mines. Some farms too especially those that harvest crops.
I am not sure this is a good idea - some diversity is always good, especialy in multiplayer environment, where in most typical case a session lasts for couple of hours only and supplying primary industries is usualy the best way for a good company start.

I like to add some small Industries that build within or close to a town that you would find in towns. Your idea has some prospects too.
The weirdest idea just came to my twisted mind - what if some of those town based industries produced just trash, waste? Then it would be forced onto your stations, it would be bad for all ratings and you'd have to transport it to a garbage dump industry somewhere. In citybuilder mode you'd be require to transport it out of town to allow it to grow. In later years a recycling plant could join the chain too. I imagine it's not going to be possible to code, is it? I am just dropping ideas, sometimes I go wild =D
Maybe combine Manufacturing Supplies and Engineering Supplies together and just call it Supplies.
Let's not make anything simpler, if possible =)
And make Grain and Wheat as separate cargos like I did before. Maybe have Wheat and maybe Cereal Crops.

If I can make a longer chain of cargos from the raw material to the finish product.

Sheep farms thinking of changing these to no longer produce Wool .. instead take the sheep to a Shearing Shed and produce the Wool. Sheep farms in Australia usually produce Livestock Wool and Grains (Wheat, Barley, Oats). So if sheep go to Wool sheds, Sheep farms can then produce Livestock and Grain.

MILK it real it goes from dairy Farm to a Dairy where it is bottled and make into other dairy produces before heading to shops. At moment it is changed to FOOD. So like to change this to something like Dairy Produce and take to a shop ina town and from here it changes to Food.
More complexity and realism is always welcome.

Here's another wild idea: I'd love to have infrastructure construction requiring resources as well as money. Rails would need wood and metal and gravel, roads - sand, gravel and asphalt, stations - metal, stone and building materials. Each company would start with some amount, kinda like you do in Age of Empires meh nvm =D I've let myself go too far =D

I friend of mine has this saying he likes to bring up often:
Small people talk about others - medicore people talk about facts and history - great people talk about ideas!
Ima go with that as an excuse for wild =)
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

krawco wrote:I am not sure this is a good idea - some diversity is always good, especialy in multiplayer environment, where in most typical case a session lasts for couple of hours only and supplying primary industries is usualy the best way for a good company start.
Your right there ..
krawco wrote:The weirdest idea just came to my twisted mind - what if some of those town based industries produced just trash, waste? Then it would be forced onto your stations, it would be bad for all ratings and you'd have to transport it to a garbage dump industry somewhere. In citybuilder mode you'd be require to transport it out of town to allow it to grow. In later years a recycling plant could join the chain too. I imagine it's not going to be possible to code, is it? I am just dropping ideas, sometimes I go wild =D
Don't mind reading peoples weirdest and wild ideas .. as some times something comes of them or a better idea develops from them. FIRS has the recycle plant idea .. so something like you mentioned might be possible .. towns used to have rubbish dumps .. so maybe the industries that are town based might be able to produce Rubbish .. have to think about this .. only problem is the game is restricted to 32 Cargos .. so if there is one we using now and don't really need it might be able to be changed to Rubbish Cargo :roll:
krawco wrote:Let's not make anything simpler, if possible =)
This might make something simple in one area but hope to complicate things in another :)
krawco wrote:More complexity and realism is always welcome.
Love to work out something with Grain and Wheat too .. farmers bring their grain to Silos .. from there it goes to Flour Mills, Brewery's, and Export. So maybe is call it grain from the Farms .. and from Silos could be called Wheat and/or Cereal Crops. Something like that.
krawco wrote:Here's another wild idea: I'd love to have infrastructure construction requiring resources as well as money. Rails would need wood and metal and gravel, roads - sand, gravel and asphalt, stations - metal, stone and building materials. Each company would start with some amount, kinda like you do in Age of Empires meh nvm =D I've let myself go too far =D
Be good if can make something like that .. but it beyond me and most of the coders for OpenTTD how that could be implemented. Best I can think of is to have Council Depots, Per-way Sidings and Railway Workshops to deliver cargos too and kinda pretend these act a bit like you mentioned.

As much as I want to start this new Industry set now, I need to wait until satisfied with what ideas I can put together to save a lot of unnecessary coding :)

Cheers
Soot Happens
krawco
Engineer
Engineer

Post by krawco »

Love to work out something with Grain and Wheat too .. farmers bring their grain to Silos .. from there it goes to Flour Mills, Brewery's, and Export. So maybe is call it grain from the Farms .. and from Silos could be called Wheat and/or Cereal Crops. Something like that.
Shouldn't it be the other way around? Farms produce wheat (and / or some other crops) which is split to grain and straw that can be then used for manufacturing other things. I am no expert on the subject, I even had to translate 'grain' to come up with this =D (I have this lazy way of learning English where I kinda understand many words from context they are used in not even knowing what exactly they translate to).

I wanted to suggest silos producing farm supplies (logic behind it being that some of the grain is used to sow the fields) but then it would allow for very easy to build and very effective lines where you put nearly no effort to boost production at primary industry. When I discovered FIRS I really liked the idea of supplying primary industries, then I had a break from OTTD in which time FIRS got updated with ports that oversimplified entire process - I hardly ever see people using machine shops anymore - it's just much simpler to buy a new port somewhere nearby rather than carefully distribute your supplies using timetabled small trains or trucks. Let's not go there please =)
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

krawco wrote:(I have this lazy way of learning English where I kinda understand many words from context they are used in not even knowing what exactly they translate to).
Your doing well with your translations .. even better then me and I am Australian. :)
krawco wrote:Shouldn't it be the other way around? Farms produce wheat (and / or some other crops) which is split to grain and straw that can be then used for manufacturing other things
Yep .. farms do grow the wheat .. also oats, barley, and corn.. To represent all these can call them Grain or Cereal Crops. What I do for the fun is take the Grain from the farms to Silos by truck, then rail it to where needed. Might have to stick to this idea. Wheat is the largest grain crops in my country so some ways like to have Wheat as a separate cargo and have Grain or Cereal Cargo to represent the rest.

FIRS has Fibre Cargo which represent the straw, cotton and other similar crops. I called it Cotton as that is what we rail the most here. Maybe I could rename it back to Fibre to represent all.
krawco wrote:I wanted to suggest silos producing farm supplies (logic behind it being that some of the grain is used to sow the fields) but then it would allow for very easy to build and very effective lines where you put nearly no effort to boost production at primary industry
Some farmers buy grain seeds from the silos to plant their crops if they haven't enough seeds left from previous crops. Silos are designed for all the famers in that area to deliver their grains to one location by road. The trains of bulk loads take the grain to where wanted such as to Bulk Terminals for export, flour mills etc.
krawco wrote:I hardly ever see people using machine shops anymore
True .. I hardly use them too. The idea Ports and Bulk Terminals producing Metal to act like it is imported. But must admit playing the game it is a lazy way to get the metal and other cargos when they already made.

Wonder if there is a way so that supplies from Ports and Bulk Terminals can be limited all the time and that way if want more, have to bring the raw material to Machine Shops to increase your supply of metals etc.

Keep the ideas coming.

Cheers
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Started making changes to the Industry Set.

The Goods Sheds, Loading Banks, Wool Dumps, Stock Sidings, Intermediate Sidings have been removed .. these eventually be replaced with other Industry types.

The Livestock Sales Yard graphics been changed.
New Livestock Sale Yards.png
New Livestock Sale Yards.png (201.63 KiB) Viewed 3357 times
It is a bit larger then previous.

At the back has the loading chute and gate for road vehicles.

At the front has a raised area so it will line up with platforms for rail.
New Livestock Sale Yards with Platforms and Truck Loading Bay.png
New Livestock Sale Yards with Platforms and Truck Loading Bay.png (446.24 KiB) Viewed 3357 times
I am changing the AuzFreightStations Livestock Platform so it will fit the Livestock Sales Yards.

The smaller lot bottom left is a platform and some non-track yards for use near farms that produce Livestock and at places that accept Livestock.

Will be changing graphics with some other industries eventually and add sections so they too will line up with platforms.
Soot Happens
krawco
Engineer
Engineer

Post by krawco »

We've got our server updated with v170 and still has some problems with production and acceptance. I began to write down any inconsistencies I come across in a txt file and I am going to provide it once it's complete. I figured I'll make a spreadsheet in Google Sheets and was wondering if you'd like it to follow any specific scheme. I could just report that coal mines and brewery don't accept what they are supposed to or I could input more information, like coal mine just doesn't accept anything while brewery doesn't accept sugar, because it's a small, 3 tile industry and each tile only accepts 2/8 sugar.

So if you'd like that I will test every industry and provide a report for you - just tell me what would be the most preferred way for you.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

krawco wrote:We've got our server updated with v170 and still has some problems with production and acceptance. I began to write down any inconsistencies I come across in a txt file and I am going to provide it once it's complete. I figured I'll make a spreadsheet in Google Sheets and was wondering if you'd like it to follow any specific scheme. I could just report that coal mines and brewery don't accept what they are supposed to or I could input more information, like coal mine just doesn't accept anything while brewery doesn't accept sugar, because it's a small, 3 tile industry and each tile only accepts 2/8 sugar.So if you'd like that I will test every industry and provide a report for you - just tell me what would be the most preferred way for you.
Be great if can let me know any problems and can use what ever format easiest for you.

Just list as you find be ok.

Strange Coal Mines and Brewery is in your list as they original from FIRS 1.4.3. so be interesting to know what happening .. next few days I be busy with end of Year activities.

Cheers pal.

Wish you and everyone else who reads this Happy New Year.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I just tried something that AndytheNorth told me about recently .. I made these changes and the Brewery is working fine.

Haven't tried Coal Mine yet, but I made these changes to all.

Here's a copy of AuzInd170 if like to try with those changes.

Also realised one industry the "Cannery" wasn't available .. should be ok now.
AuzInd170.rar
(1.45 MiB) Downloaded 99 times
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Making some changes to AuzInd170 .. will release version 8 soon.

In game it is restricted to 32 cargos maximum, so me and other who make the Industry sets uses one cargo to represent several types.

For Instance Livestock represents Sheep, Cattle, Pigs and Horses and all other farm animals.

I've introduced Liquid Merchandise to represent Beer, Wine, Fruit Juice, Soft Drinks and processed Milk.

Grain represents wheat, oats, corn, and Barley.

Most players are happy to just enjoy the game and not concerned what each cargo represents.

But some players like me .. like it be a bit realistic where possible.

So I added some Text to the Industries to show what the cargo is representing.

This shows that Livestock is Pigs so if like can take the Pigs from Agriculture Farm to the Bacon factory. (The Bacon factory will still accept all Livestock so if want to make Bacon from button and Beef, guess that be ok).
Cargos2.png
Cargos2.png (92.76 KiB) Viewed 3260 times
This one shows what the Liquid Merchandise represent.
Cargos.png
Cargos.png (131.4 KiB) Viewed 3260 times
This idea kind of increases the types of Cargos.

What you think of this idea?

Cheers all
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

These a list of changes made so far to AuzInd170 .. due to the extensive changes might rename it as it might conflict with any saved games from previous versions.

Changes made:

* Fixed issue with Brewery not accepting Sugar.
* New Graphics to Livestock Sales Yards (now larger) so that platforms fit better.
* Minor graphic changes to Abattoirs so that platforms fit better.
* Minor graphic changes Bacon factory so that platforms fit better.
* Bacon Factory also produces Processed Foods (Smallgoods - hams, bacon, salami etc)
* Added cannery (was already there .. just I had ID code wrong so it never appeared in game)
* Butcher Shop - now Butcher and Milk Bar .. accepts MEAT, FISH, BEER (Liquid Merchandise is Processed Milk) and produces FOOD
* Sheep Farm .. WOOL changed to GRAIN .. to get wool have to take Sheep to the Shearing Shed for shearing and this produces the WOOL
* Hardware Store .. now accepts Timber and Building Supplies and produces GOODs
* Flour Mill .. FOOD been changed to Processed Foods

Added:

* Cannery. (Should have been available in previous releases but I had the ID wrong).
* Grocers and Hairdresser .. accepts Fresh Produce, Processed Foods and Liquid Merchandise

Changes with Cargos.

* Some cargos in game represent more then one product .. so I decided to try separate these to make game a bit more realistic and challenging.
# Added a text line to some Industry so they show the actual cargo they produce and accept.

For instance:

# Livestock .. can be shown as Sheep, Cattle and Pigs.
# Liquid Merchandise .. can be shown as Beer, Wine, Soft Drinks, Fruit Juices and Processed Milks.
# Fresh Produce .. can be Fruit and Vegetables.
# Processed Foods .. can also be Smallgoods

Might also change:

# Grain .. can be Wheat, Cereal Crops, Barley, Oats, Corn, Rice.
# Building Supplies .. can be Timber, bricks, cement. (This can create a Industry called Construction Supplies and deliver Timber, Cement and Bricks here)
# Manufacturing Supplies and Engineering Supplies .. call these Supplies and this I hope to create Manufacturing Supplies, Engineering Supplies, Farm Supplies and probably Building Supplies.

Intend to Remove:

GOODS SHED (LARGE), GOODS SHED (SMALL), INTERMEDIATE FORESTRY SIDING, INTERMEDIATE STATION SIDING, LIVESTOCK SIDING, LOADING BANK, LOADING BANK and WOOL DUMP and a few others.

and

replace them with:

Council Yards (accept timber, Gravel and Sand), Construction Supplies (as mentioned above), Courier Service (Parcels and mail), Warehouse, some more shops to build in town such as Newsagent, Baker, Restaurant, Markets.

Cheers all
Soot Happens
rowdog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rowdog »

I really like your idea of "virtual cargos". The concept reminds me of TCP/IP where the catagories like Livestock are the IP part and specific types of Livestock are layered on top of the Livestock "transport". I think it's great that players are free to use the lower level catagories just like we have now but if you want, you can only send pigs to make bacon.

I wonder if there's any way to tag a cargo to say it's Livestock{pigs} or maybe to determine the source of the Livestock (e.g. pig farm) so that you could add an optional parameter to "enable virtual cargo enforcement". Either way, I think it's a great way to support a huge number of cargos.

PS: I'm a big fan of your work and I really appreciate you sharing it with us!

Edited for grammar.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

rowdog wrote:I really like your idea of "virtual cargos". The concept reminds me of TCP/IP where the catagories like Livestock are the IP part and specific types of Livestock are layered on top of the Livestock "transport". I think it's great that players are free to use the lower level catagories just like we have now but if you want, you can only send pigs to make bacon.
Thank you for that comment .. glad some will accept the idea.
rowdog wrote:I wonder if there's any way to tag a cargo to say it's Livestock{pigs} or maybe to determine the source of the Livestock (e.g. pig farm) so that you could add an optional parameter to "enable virtual cargo enforcement". Either way, I think it's a great way to support a huge number of cargos.
To my knowledge can only label the different cargos to be displayed on the Window that pops up when you click on a Industry.
As can see by these 4 Windows, text is shown along the bottom of window what virtual cargo is.

Writing this just gave me an idea :idea: .. what might be good after the Text of the virtual cargo display the Industry that wants it :idea:

Shall look into that next year as I don't plan to do any more this year.

If anyone want to try what I done so far here the GRF file. I advice not to use in a save game as might not work properly due to the changes I have made with some cargos and also added a Grocery Shop.
Attachments
Cargos3.png
Cargos3.png (212.2 KiB) Viewed 3231 times
AuzInd170.grf
(11.01 MiB) Downloaded 98 times
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

These some of the New Industries.
new Industries.png
new Industries.png (311.42 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
Left is the Cannery, next is a Newsagent and Delicatessen, top is Butchers and Milk Bar, next to this is Grocers and Hairdresser and bottom right is Construction Supplier.

The 3 shops all build in a town.

Will do more next year.

2018 where I live is just a few hours away.

Cheers all
Soot Happens

Return to “Graphics Development”