Project North America (Better name later!)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Project North America (Better name later!)

Post by NekoMaster »

For the longest time now I've wanted my own North American train set, one that covers all of North America including USA, Canada, and Mexico (though most of Mexico's engines are imports from USA Or Canada)

If I can, I'd like to draw up and eventually have coded a set that includes almost every major and special rail stock from all over North America, including Locomotives, Multiple Units, Rapid Transit (like Subways), and of course, Cars and such to haul people and cargo in.

For now I'm trying my best to push my self to draw stuff, but its been a long time since I've made complete sprites from scratch.

So far this is what about 2 hours of work has produced from me.
EMD_Model_40.png
EMD_Model_40.png (1.84 KiB) Viewed 3613 times
Here is the EMD Model 40 Switcher, a tiny 600 HP switcher used in Shops and on small industrial lines. Nick named Critters, possibly because of their tiny size. The only thing's I know of that are smaller are Rail tractors, Speeder cars, and Hi-Rail Trucks

I did my best with this, I know its not as good as some other artists work, but I think its good enough at the moment to warrent a test grf maybe? I'd do it my self but I just can't wrap my head around NML and its complexity.
So yeah, if anyone with NFO or NML coding experience wants to give this a try, that'd be greatly appreciated. Besides, it'd be nice to play with a tiny little switcher for light duty stuff.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: Project North America (Better name later!)

Post by PikkaBird »

It looks good. I wonder what template you're using? Personally, with my later projects I just stuck to a single 8/8 template, and shortened vehicles by leaving the empty space at the back. That works with a single set of standard offsets for any vehicle length (for rail vehicles, at least).
NekoMaster wrote:I'd do it my self but I just can't wrap my head around NML and its complexity.
Let me make you a prediction; if you don't attempt to code it yourself, there's absolutely no chance your set will ever go anywhere. How many takers did you get to code your last graphic attempts?

Don't get freaked out by the complexity - you don't have to understand how the whole spec works from the get go. The code required to begin a train set is remarkably simple.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

PikkaBird wrote:It looks good. I wonder what template you're using? Personally, with my later projects I just stuck to a single 8/8 template, and shortened vehicles by leaving the empty space at the back. That works with a single set of standard offsets for any vehicle length (for rail vehicles, at least).
NekoMaster wrote:I'd do it my self but I just can't wrap my head around NML and its complexity.
Let me make you a prediction; if you don't attempt to code it yourself, there's absolutely no chance your set will ever go anywhere. How many takers did you get to code your last graphic attempts?

Don't get freaked out by the complexity - you don't have to understand how the whole spec works from the get go. The code required to begin a train set is remarkably simple.
I've tried multiple times looking at the NML tutorials and such and every time I just can't wrap my head around it even though its broken down into each section of how it all works, but I still can't understand it. Then again I never was very good at Programing in Computer Science class back in high school. Best I ever did was some very basic stuff like a calculator that converts different units. It probably doesnt help that I've never been good with complicated stuff, and takes me a long time to get stuff done (like having to install complex mods or programs with many steps to get them working, even just rooting my smart phone took me a long time)

I highly doubt it but I'm hoping that someone may give it a try if I show I'm going to put the effort into a project, thats about all I can hope for, maybe a beginner with NML who wants to get their feet wet.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

Aluminum Lightweight Coach Pennsylvania RR.png
Aluminum Lightweight Coach Pennsylvania RR.png (25.48 KiB) Viewed 445 times
You can "borrow" my borrowed sprites from the 2cc trainset. Here are Budd cars for the PRR.
Developer of North American Passenger Liveries: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=87228
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

I might be able to code for you, if you also use some of my sprites. And also include every livery that every train used.
Can we join forces and work together?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

TrainLover wrote:I might be able to code for you, if you also use some of my sprites. And also include every livery that every train used.
Perhaps, though I'm going for company coloured NARS 2.0 style, then again some of the stuff some 2cc set isn't too far off.

Right now I'm trying to draw a EMD BL2 locomotive, in Rock Island theme, but in my opinion, it looks like crap right now.
EMD_BL2_WIP.png
EMD_BL2_WIP.png (1.82 KiB) Viewed 3570 times
And yes I know that the downwards facing diagonal on the right has incorrect lighting, but I made some changes to the diagonal on the left and copied it to the right to switch over the lighting.

I'm hoping that if I can tackle some of the hard stuff first that some of the other stuff like hood units and Multiple Units might be a little easier.

The reason I rarely follow through with my projects is that when things become difficult, I tend to walk away from it. Though I'm never going to have a North American set that contains all of the stuff I want if I don't do something my self.

Also, heres a un finished list of things I'm planning on adding (I havent added steam engines yet, at the moment I'm focusing on Post-steam engines)
ProjectNorthAmerica.txt
(5.17 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

NekoMaster wrote:
TrainLover wrote:I might be able to code for you, if you also use some of my sprites. And also include every livery that every train used.
Perhaps, though I'm going for company coloured NARS 2.0 style, then again some of the stuff some 2cc set isn't too far off.

Right now I'm trying to draw a EMD BL2 locomotive, in Rock Island theme, but in my opinion, it looks like crap right now.
EMD_BL2_WIP.png
And yes I know that the downwards facing diagonal on the right has incorrect lighting, but I made some changes to the diagonal on the left and copied it to the right to switch over the lighting.

I'm hoping that if I can tackle some of the hard stuff first that some of the other stuff like hood units and Multiple Units might be a little easier.

The reason I rarely follow through with my projects is that when things become difficult, I tend to walk away from it. Though I'm never going to have a North American set that contains all of the stuff I want if I don't do something my self.

Also, heres a un finished list of things I'm planning on adding (I havent added steam engines yet, at the moment I'm focusing on Post-steam engines)
ProjectNorthAmerica.txt

Only Toronto subways! New York, Chicago, and many other places have a longer history of subways. You also forgot the Silverliners, Comets, and Metroliners in Amtrak livery.

Also, do you think I should draw slumbercoaches for sleepers or the 10-6 ones, or 4-4 ones from the PRR.
Last edited by TrainLover on 26 Aug 2015 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

Aluminium_Lightweight_Intercity_Coach - Santa Fe.png
Aluminium_Lightweight_Intercity_Coach - Santa Fe.png (11.46 KiB) Viewed 3549 times
Here are Santa Fe coaches. The sleepers are both the 10-4, and the slumbercoach.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

That list I made isn't even finished, theres still tons of stuff from North America to be added. I was also thinking about adding light rail stuff and maybe even trams, as I'm a fan of anything that runs on rails. Though for the most part, for now I want to focus on things that are mainstream like Heavy rail and Subway's and maybe do LRT and Trams later.

Also, for the Project, I'm not really aiming for any one specific livery/company, I'm sort of going with a mash up of themes like Santa Fe, Canadian Pacific, Burlington Northern, CSX, Conrail, N de M, etc.

For the cars, I was thinking something a little more generic unless you or someone can figure out how to code passenger/mail cars to either be random, or change liveries with a refit (Like Refit to "Santa Fe Super Chief" or "Southern Pacific Daylight")
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

NekoMaster wrote:That list I made isn't even finished, theres still tons of stuff from North America to be added. I was also thinking about adding light rail stuff and maybe even trams, as I'm a fan of anything that runs on rails. Though for the most part, for now I want to focus on things that are mainstream like Heavy rail and Subway's and maybe do LRT and Trams later.

Also, for the Project, I'm not really aiming for any one specific livery/company, I'm sort of going with a mash up of themes like Santa Fe, Canadian Pacific, Burlington Northern, CSX, Conrail, N de M, etc.

For the cars, I was thinking something a little more generic unless you or someone can figure out how to code passenger/mail cars to either be random, or change liveries with a refit (Like Refit to "Santa Fe Super Chief" or "Southern Pacific Daylight")
Don't worry I got the (edit) livery thing down.
Edit: But can I first have a PCC streetcar, or Flxible buses to practice my mettle at the livery thing? I am good at reskinning, not drawing!
Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Simons Mith »

If you still seek a name, may I suggest the Great North American Train Set? :-)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

TrainLover wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:That list I made isn't even finished, theres still tons of stuff from North America to be added. I was also thinking about adding light rail stuff and maybe even trams, as I'm a fan of anything that runs on rails. Though for the most part, for now I want to focus on things that are mainstream like Heavy rail and Subway's and maybe do LRT and Trams later.

Don't worry I got the (edit) livery thing down.
Edit: But can I first have a PCC streetcar, or Flxible buses to practice my mettle at the livery thing? I am good at reskinning, not drawing!
I don't actually own any rights or privilages to any graphics other then my own, which is why I'd rather draw up my own stuff or have someone one a set working with me to draw and give permission.

One thing though, I remember that a user on the forums here, Packman or Packer, had some sprites that they said I could use (or anyone for that matter), that covers stuff like the GP40, SD38, GP20, FP45, etc.

ALso in the NARS forum, some where in there I did post a sprite for a Generation 2 "Veranda" Turbine, it just requires a Oil Tender/Tanker which has to be coded so that its permanently attached to the locomotive (like how steam locomotives require their own tender)
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

Just for fun do you think you could draw the NYC M-497! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-497_Black_Beetle
I will put it at 185 mph!
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

PM me some of the sprites that you have. I will probably get the coded.
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

I have a problem with the nml coding. I have followed the tutorial for trains, and I have added the dual_headed things, the power, the weight, etc. The only problem is when I do nmlc -c --grf ProjectNA.grf ProjectNA.nml, I am getting a bunch of syntax errors. Did I do anything wrong? For those of you who know this better than me, please read and see what is wrong with the nml file.
Project North America.zip
(18.58 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
This is the whole file, the nml, the gfx, and the language files.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

When I try to compile it, I get
nmlc ERROR: "ProjectNA.nml", line 47: Syntax error, unexpected token "dual_headed"
Looking carefully, I see that a semi-colon is missing on the previous line.

Trying to compile it again, and the next error message is
nmlc ERROR: "ProjectNA.nml", line 49: Syntax error, unexpected token "Tons"
Fixed Tons to ton.

nmlc ERROR: "ProjectNA.nml", line 52: Syntax error, unexpected token "extra_power_per_wagon"
missing semi-colon on line 51

nmlc ERROR: "ProjectNA.nml", line 52: Syntax error, unexpected token "kw"
Fixed kw to hp

nmlc ERROR: "ProjectNA.nml", line 58: Syntax error, unexpected token "spriteset"
Changed the whole callback section of this train:

Code: Select all

graphics{
        purchase:                     spriteset_EMD_Model_40;
    }
nmlc ERROR: "ProjectNA.nml", line 60: Syntax error, unexpected token "}"
Fixed the end-of-comment from *\ to */ on line 29

nmlc ERROR: "ProjectNA.nml", line 66: Syntax error, unexpected token "{"
You only define the railtypetable once. Deleted the duplicate.

There, we have identified and fixed all syntax error for the first train.

Rinse and repeat for the rest of the file, and you'll have a working grf eventually.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Sylf wrote:nmlc ERROR: "ProjectNA.nml", line 52: Syntax error, unexpected token "kw"
Fixed kw to hp
I think you should fix that one with kW instead of hp, as kW is something different than hp.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

Transportman, is it possible for liveries to expire?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Yes, either instantly or after depot visit. Of course also upon purchase.
Oh wait, never mind, I'm not Transportman
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

mind you that liveries must be consecutive, so if you retire one livery, you probably also need to invalidate all liveries that come after it.

Return to “Graphics Development”